D.D. Degg - question on Luis Dominguez

Lenona

Oct 8, 2021, 2:16:46 PM10/8/21
I know you said that horror cartoonist Luis Dominguez (born in 1923, in Argentina) developed Alzheimer's, years ago.

I just stumbled on this - from 2010. From Jackson Heights (Queens, NY):

http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Luis-Dominguez-88467658

It's clearly lacking in detail. Also, while the birthdate seems to be a match, some say he was born in December, not October. But I suspect, at least, that it's the same person. Can you contact some comics expert from the area who would know?

(I already emailed a librarian in Jackson Heights, but since that may not work out, I thought I should ask you as well.)

Thanks.

D.D.Degg

Oct 8, 2021, 5:31:24 PM10/8/21
Lenona,
I will ask around.
I have it (had it?) in my head that he moved back to Argentina in his later years. Maybe not.
Luis Dominguez is a common name, so even with that birth date it is not a sure thing.
Thanks for the heads up.
D.D.Degg

D.D.Degg

Oct 8, 2021, 9:32:30 PM10/8/21
Here's the problem with a "Luis Dominguez" obituary...

A response to my spreading your question came up with
this biography of comic artist Luis Dominguez dying in 2020.
https://www.tebeosfera.com/autores/luis_dominguez.html

His source for that date of death is a Florida obituary:
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/miami-fl/luis-dominguez-9401520

But the obit gives no details,
the reference could just as easily been the obituary you mentioned.

What we need is an obituary with some details.

Lenona

Oct 9, 2021, 12:40:09 PM10/9/21
On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 9:32:30 PM UTC-4, D.D.Degg wrote:
> Here's the problem with a "Luis Dominguez" obituary...
>
> A response to my spreading your question came up with
> this biography of comic artist Luis Dominguez dying in 2020.
> https://www.tebeosfera.com/autores/luis_dominguez.html

Looks like a pretty careless mistake to me.

That is, the Florida death notice was for someone who was born in November - and I have never seen any claim that the cartoonist was born in that month. So I can't imagine why the editor for the above website would be so sure the two were the same man, given the lack of detail.

And yes, I saw the mention of some comic from 2018 in that list of "works with artistic dedication of the author," but it's not clear whether he actually worked on those comics or not.

No word from the librarian yet.

Lenona

Oct 9, 2021, 12:56:59 PM10/9/21
Btw, I checked at findagrave.com, using 1923, and then, separately, 2010 and 2020. No luck with any of them. But then, somebody has to care enough to create an entry, I guess. (One can sometimes find a photo of the tombstone there, plus details of that person's life and relatives.)

Lenona

Oct 9, 2021, 1:57:37 PM10/9/21
Oh, and here's a profile of Dominguez from Eerie Magazine - in 1972, I think! (It's on page 130, just in case the link doesn't work as well as it should.)

https://books.google.com/books?id=eoSkbuWxnCgC&pg=PA130&dq=luis+dominguez+1923+argentina&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&source=gb_mobile_search&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiMl_LP8b3zAhVsl3IEHWjEB9YQuwV6BAgFEAc

You'll never guess what scared him when he was little. (No, it wasn't Boris Karloff.)

Lenona

Oct 16, 2021, 3:51:54 PM10/16/21
I emailed Silver Age Comics, in Queens, on the 11th. No luck so far. (It's tiny but apparently popular.) Maybe I should try another one.

I got a response from the library yesterday. But...

"Your question regarding Luis Dominguez was forwarded to our attention here at the Queens Library Archives. We have local newspapers from 2010 on microfilm. If you would like to search our microfilm collection of historic newspapers for more information on Mr. Dominguez, such as a longer obituary, you may do so by visiting the Archives in person at any time during our regular hours of service. We are located on the lower level of the main branch of the Queens Library, at 89-11 Merrick Boulevard in Jamaica. Our hours are 10AM-8PM Mondays, 10AM-7PM Tuesdays through Thursdays, 10AM-6PM Fridays, 10AM-5PM Saturdays and 12-5PM Sundays. No appointment is necessary. To be admitted to the Archives, just ask at the main reference desk, and they will give you a pass.

"If you are unable to visit us in person we also offer an obituary look-up service. We charge a fee of $8.00 per name, which must be paid in advance. Note that the fee is for the search, not the obituary. We do not offer a refund if no obituary is found..."

(snip)

Maybe someone who lives near Merrick Boulevard could check? Please?

Even if all the notice has is his birthplace, that SHOULD be enough to confirm his identity, one way or the other.

Lenona

Nov 2, 2021, 9:09:51 AM11/2/21
For the record, someone posted this at rec.arts.sf.written, when I asked:

"The US Social Security Death Index has this info":

Name: Luis Dominguez
Social Security Number: 073-36-2589
Birth Date: 17 Oct 1923
Issue Year: 1961-1962
Issue State: New York
Last Residence: 11372, Flushing, Queens, New York
Death Date: 2 Apr 2010

"Jackson Heights, Queens, New York is about 4 miles from Flushing."

Also, the fact that this particular Dominguez got his SSN when he was almost 40 would fit with someone born outside the US - and the cartoonist did immigrate around that time.

I suppose I should contact comics stores in Flushing, as well.