Happy 100th, Al Jaffee!

Lenona

Mar 13, 2021, 8:27:13 AM3/13/21
I can't believe no one else beat me to it...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2021/03/13/al-jaffee-100-mad-magazine/

First paragraphs:

By Michael Cavna
March 13, 2021 at 11:00 a.m. UTC

Al Jaffee, one of Mad magazine’s longtime “Usual Gang of Idiots,” is enjoying a rather unusual week. Several days ago, the cartooning legend got vaccinated for the coronavirus. On March 13, he plans to celebrate turning 100 years old.
“Hitting the century mark in age, it’s a nice number” for the brain to consider, Jaffee said with a warm laugh Thursday from his New York home — even if some body parts don’t “seem to appreciate it.”
To mark the occasion, the humor publication is announcing that its “Mad Predicts the Future” edition, on sale next month, will salute its eldest statesman. The issue’s center-spread article, titled, “Amazing All-Seeing Al Jaffee’s MAD E.S.P.,” will note how the artist’s ever-inventive mind foresaw such ideas as the multi-bladed razor and the “autocorrect” function — once described and drawn in the artist’s wry style....

Lenona

Mar 13, 2021, 8:55:50 AM3/13/21
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.comics.strips/c/CE-VFMYQQJM/m/71JMCvHWqWkJ
(2011 birthday thread from his 90th b-day - it includes a Mother Jones interview)

https://geekdad.com/2016/03/al-jaffee-mad-95/
(tribute from 2016 - it includes some fold-ins)

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainment/hanging-with-al-jaffee-mad-magazines-95-year-old-journeyman-cartoonist
(LONG article from 2016 - it includes a video)

Lenona

Mar 13, 2021, 9:13:23 AM3/13/21

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Mar 13, 2021, 1:54:55 PM3/13/21

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Mar 22, 2021, 11:10:26 AM3/22/21
Late to the party, but the March 14th NYT Crossword Puzzle honored Al Jaffee and even incorporated his future-seeing powers in the puzzle theme.