Is Seattle PI site broken?

aemeijers

Nov 14, 2010, 4:37:27 PM11/14/10
All I get are broken links- same thing in FF or IE. The pages come up,
but not the comics. Anybody else having trouble? Or do you now have to
register to see them or something?

--
aem sends...

kat >^.^< in Rhinelander

Nov 14, 2010, 5:02:09 PM11/14/10

"aemeijers" wrote in message

--
aem sends...

I've had trouble since yesterday. Dilbert came up, but none of the others.
kat >^.^<
in Rhinelander

D.D.Degg

Nov 14, 2010, 5:53:21 PM11/14/10
aemeijers wrote:
> All I get are broken links- same thing in FF or IE. The pages come up,
> but not the comics. Anybody else having trouble?

Seems that Comics Kingdom is broken.
Can't get any King Features comics from any site that uses Comics
Kingdom feeds.

They are available from the Houston Chronicle page,
with a little work.
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComics.mpl
Click on the comic of your choice from the left (color comics) column
then manipulate the url for the November 14 date.

Arcamax's KFS strips also show,
but the menu is more limited.
http://www.arcamax.com/comics#feat

D.D.Degg

Mark Jackson

Nov 14, 2010, 7:18:07 PM11/14/10
On 11/14/2010 5:53 PM, D.D.Degg wrote:

> Click on the comic of your choice from the left (color comics) column

Riiiiiight. . . .

The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in
the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind.
- H. L. Mencken

D.D.Degg

Nov 15, 2010, 7:20:10 AM11/15/10
Mark Jackson wrote:
> D.D.Degg wrote:
> > Click on the comic of your choice from the left (color comics) column
>
> Riiiiiight. . . .

That's why you're the FAQman, Jackson.

D.D.Degg

Thomas Skogestad

Nov 15, 2010, 1:06:01 PM11/15/10
* D.D.Degg

| Seems that Comics Kingdom is broken.
| Can't get any King Features comics from any site that uses Comics
| Kingdom feeds.

I read King Features comics from the Toronto Star. (They have the most
readable King Features comics on the net. You wouldn't it would be necessary
to skimp on size online, but apparently it is.)

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/comics?view_id=5

Yesterday there were no comics there (at least not the ones I read.) Same
thing happened a few days before. I just googled the strips I read and found
a different site that has them.

I think I used seattlepi.com or sfgate.com. Guess it was sfgate.com since
apparently Seattle PI also was broken.

http://www.sfgate.com/comics/

Hm. It appears that SF Gate serves up the comics in two different manners.

Comics Kingdom:
http://www.sfgate.com/comics/?feature_id=Baby_Blues
http://www.sfgate.com/comics/?feature_id=Bizarro

No mention of Comics Kingdom, and more complicated navigation between strips
(there doesn't seem to be any, besides editing the links):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/comics/Baby_Blues.dtl
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/comics/Bizarro.dtl

These are the pages that Google finds. That may be why I was able to read the
comics.

Some other comics links:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/comics/Mutts.dtl
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/comics/Shermans_Lagoon.dtl
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/comics/Zits.dtl

--
Thomas Skogestad

Jym Dyer

Jan 21, 2024, 6:17:27 PMJan 21
On Monday, November 15, 2010 at 10:06:01 AM UTC-8, Thomas Skogestad wrote:
> http://www.sfgate.com/comics/

=v= Redirect here these days:
https://www.sfgate.com/comics/ck/

But now it seems to have recently vanished. Happy 2024!
<_Jym_>

Dave Garrett

Jan 27, 2024, 10:09:48 PMJan 27
In article <e8c4df11-fefc-45cd...@googlegroups.com>,
j...@econet.org says...

> On Monday, November 15, 2010 at 10:06:01?AM UTC-8, Thomas Skogestad wrote:
> > http://www.sfgate.com/comics/
>
> =v= Redirect here these days:
> https://www.sfgate.com/comics/ck/
>
> But now it seems to have recently vanished. Happy 2024!
> <_Jym_>

Indeed it does - I noticed that last week but thought it was just
something on my end. Too bad if the removal's permanent, as I used it
reasonably often.

Two other links that are similar to the recently-departed SF Gate as far
as the ability to view Comics Kingdom strips:

https://www.oregonlive.com/comics-kingdom/

https://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-games/

the latter of which, contrary to the subject line this brings us back
to, is fortunately not broken.

--
Dave