Newspapers Drop Dilbert after Scott Adams' "Racist Rant"

D.D.Degg

Feb 25, 2023, 9:26:35 AM2/25/23
The Advance Local Media groups and Gannett newspapers
have dropped Dilbert after Scott Adams on his podcast said
Whites should separate from Blacks.
https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2023/02/24/cleveland-plain-dealer-and-all-of-advance-local-drops-dilbert-over-racist-rant/

Brian Henke

Feb 25, 2023, 10:03:10 PM2/25/23
Also:

The Albuquerque Journal
The Baltimore Sun
The Oregonian (Frazz will replace it)
New York Daily News

Cincy...@yahoo.com

--------

Judge Parker, One Big Happy, comics you can read

- Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find in Atlanta and San Antonio

Darryl H

Feb 26, 2023, 7:48:22 AM2/26/23
And the Chicago Tribune.

Brian Henke

Feb 26, 2023, 12:55:20 PM2/26/23
On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 10:03:10 PM UTC-5, Brian Henke wrote:
> On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 9:26:35 AM UTC-5, D.D.Degg wrote:
> > The Advance Local Media groups and Gannett newspapers
> > have dropped Dilbert after Scott Adams on his podcast said
> > Whites should separate from Blacks.
> > https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2023/02/24/cleveland-plain-dealer-and-all-of-advance-local-drops-dilbert-over-racist-rant/
> Also:
>
> The Albuquerque Journal
> The Baltimore Sun
> The Oregonian (Frazz will replace it)
> New York Daily News

The Seattle Times, too.

jdelac...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2023, 2:46:05 PM2/26/23
Add the Orlando Sentinel to the list.

The Tampa Bay Times had Dilbert in Today's edition but I'll monitor the situation there.

Darryl H

Feb 26, 2023, 10:26:35 PM2/26/23
And I notice the Arlington Heights Illinois Daily Herald newspaper will drop Dilbert effective 2/27/2023.

Even with 3 Alabama newspapers owned by Advance ending their print run today (including the Birmingham News) on 2/26/2023 they wouldn't carry Dilbert in their digital papers.

jdelac...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2023, 10:53:01 PM2/26/23

Brian Henke

Feb 27, 2023, 1:07:57 AM2/27/23
On Sunday, February 26, 2023 at 12:55:20 PM UTC-5, Brian Henke wrote:
> On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 10:03:10 PM UTC-5, Brian Henke wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 9:26:35 AM UTC-5, D.D.Degg wrote:
> > > The Advance Local Media groups and Gannett newspapers
> > > have dropped Dilbert after Scott Adams on his podcast said
> > > Whites should separate from Blacks.
> > > https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2023/02/24/cleveland-plain-dealer-and-all-of-advance-local-drops-dilbert-over-racist-rant/
> > Also:
> >
> > The Albuquerque Journal
> > The Baltimore Sun
> > The Oregonian (Frazz will replace it)
> > New York Daily News
> >
> The Seattle Times, too.

Add the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Darryl H

Feb 27, 2023, 7:05:11 AM2/27/23
On Sunday, February 26, 2023 at 11:55:20 AM UTC-6, Brian Henke wrote:
> On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 10:03:10 PM UTC-5, Brian Henke wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 9:26:35 AM UTC-5, D.D.Degg wrote:
> > > The Advance Local Media groups and Gannett newspapers
> > > have dropped Dilbert after Scott Adams on his podcast said
> > > Whites should separate from Blacks.
> > > https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2023/02/24/cleveland-plain-dealer-and-all-of-advance-local-drops-dilbert-over-racist-rant/
> > Also:
> >
> > The Albuquerque Journal
> > The Baltimore Sun
> > The Oregonian (Frazz will replace it)
> > New York Daily News
> >
> The Seattle Times, too.
> >

> > --------
> >
> > Judge Parker, One Big Happy, comics you can read
> >
> > - Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find in Atlanta and San Antonio

As of today - Feb. 27. 2023 - the New York Daily News is still carrying Dilbert in its daily comic pages, but no replacement yet?

jdelac...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2023, 8:06:47 AM2/27/23
The Tampa Bay Times has officially stopped running Dilbert. No replacement has been named.

Brenda Sherrod

Feb 27, 2023, 8:48:19 AM2/27/23
On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 7:06:47 AM UTC-6, jdelac...@gmail.com wrote:
> The Tampa Bay Times has officially stopped running Dilbert. No replacement has been named.
The Dallas Morning News has dropped it without a replacement.

In its place this morning was a comic strip sized box with the words "New comic strip coming soon". I haven't seen them do that before. Even when they took out Non Sequitur (which I still wish they would bring back), they just adjusted the spacing of the strips

Darryl H

Feb 27, 2023, 8:54:40 AM2/27/23
The Chicago Tribune is going to replace Dilbert with Grand Avenue - possibly later this week or next week, currently there's a blank space on top.

So Grand Avenue which runs Sundays in the Chicago Sun-Times may be dropped soon for a new Sunday replacement in the Sun-Times?

Darryl H

Feb 27, 2023, 9:31:42 AM2/27/23
On Sunday, February 26, 2023 at 1:46:05 PM UTC-6, jdelac...@gmail.com wrote:
> Add the Orlando Sentinel to the list.
>
> The Tampa Bay Times had Dilbert in Today's edition but I'll monitor the situation there.

The Orlando Sentinel is still carrying Dilbert as of today, even when the Mt. Pleasant strip is in its final week(?)

Brian Henke

Feb 27, 2023, 11:44:01 AM2/27/23
The San Antonio Express-News has dropped Dilbert. A box explaining the reason runs in its place today.

Cincy...@yahoo.com

Brian Henke

Feb 27, 2023, 1:33:16 PM2/27/23
On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 11:44:01 AM UTC-5, Brian Henke wrote:
> On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 9:31:42 AM UTC-5, Darryl H wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 26, 2023 at 1:46:05 PM UTC-6, jdelac...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Add the Orlando Sentinel to the list.
> > >
> > > The Tampa Bay Times had Dilbert in Today's edition but I'll monitor the situation there.
> > The Orlando Sentinel is still carrying Dilbert as of today, even when the Mt. Pleasant strip is in its final week(?)
> The San Antonio Express-News has dropped Dilbert. A box explaining the reason runs in its place today.

The

> Cincy...@yahoo.com
> ---
>
> Judge Parker, One Big Happy, comics you can read
>
> - Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find in Atlanta and San Antonio

The Star-Tribune in Minneapolis, San Diego Union-Tribune and Honolulu Star-Advertiser have all dropped Dilbert.

Gocomics has pulled Dilbert entirely.

The E-----r ran it today. Don't know if it was prepared before Saturday.

Cincy...@yahoo.com

-----

Mike Rhode

Feb 27, 2023, 7:56:56 PM2/27/23
The Wash Post replaced it w/ Steenz' Heart of the City today.

That monday strip is going to be VERY hard to find. Perhaps we can get a scan? Unless he starts putting them on his own site, of course.

Darryl H

Feb 27, 2023, 10:47:37 PM2/27/23
On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 12:33:16 PM UTC-6, Brian Henke wrote:
> On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 11:44:01 AM UTC-5, Brian Henke wrote:

> > > The Orlando Sentinel is still carrying Dilbert as of today, even when the Mt. Pleasant strip is in its final week(?)
> > The San Antonio Express-News has dropped Dilbert. A box explaining the reason runs in its place today.
> The
> >
> > Cincy...@yahoo.com
> > ---
> >
> > Judge Parker, One Big Happy, comics you can read
> >
> > - Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find in Atlanta and San Antonio
> The Star-Tribune in Minneapolis, San Diego Union-Tribune and Honolulu Star-Advertiser have all dropped Dilbert.
>
> Gocomics has pulled Dilbert entirely.
>
> The E-----r ran it today. Don't know if it was prepared before Saturday.
>

> -----
> Judge Parker, One Big Happy, comics you can read
>
> - Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find in Atlanta

I even notice an Illinois newspaper in McHenry County called the Crystal Lake Northwest Herald was still running Dilbert in its comics pages as of today (Feb. 27, 2023).

Darryl H

Feb 28, 2023, 6:36:19 AM2/28/23
On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 9:47:37 PM UTC-6, Darryl H wrote:
> On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 12:33:16 PM UTC-6, Brian Henke wrote:

> > > The San Antonio Express-News has dropped Dilbert. A box explaining the reason runs in its place today.
> > The
> > >

> > > ---
> > >
> > > Judge Parker, One Big Happy, comics you can read
> > >
> > > - Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find in Atlanta and San Antonio
> > The Star-Tribune in Minneapolis, San Diego Union-Tribune and Honolulu Star-Advertiser have all dropped Dilbert.
> >
> > Gocomics has pulled Dilbert entirely.
> >
> > The E-----r ran it today. Don't know if it was prepared before Saturday.
> >

> > -----
> > Judge Parker, One Big Happy, comics you can read
> >
> > - Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find in Atlanta
> I even notice an Illinois newspaper in McHenry County called the Crystal Lake Northwest Herald was still running Dilbert in its comics pages as of today (Feb. 27, 2023).

And today the Dilbert replacements come in: With the Chicago Tribune choosing Grand Avenue as the Dilbert replacement, the New York Daily News also chose Grand Avenue to replace Dilbert. And in the Orlando Sentinel, Loose Parts is replacing Dilbert.

Brian Henke

Feb 28, 2023, 1:14:44 PM2/28/23
Michigan papers the Oakland Press, The Macomb Daily, Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, and the Royal Oak Tribune have replaced DIlbert with Grand Avenue. The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk and Daily Press in Newport News, Va. have also replaced Dilbert with Grand Avenue.

The Paxton Media Group - which includes the Paducah (KY) Sun - has replaced it with Crabgrass.

The Walla Walla Union-Bulletin has replaced Dilbert with Frazz.

As for the E-----r, a box that encourages readers to try out new comics - or try old favorites - appears today in the space that Dilbert used to run.

Cincy...@yahoo.com

-------

jdelac...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2023, 5:37:35 PM2/28/23

> Michigan papers the Oakland Press, The Macomb Daily, Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant

They're going with Mt. Pleasant NOW?!?!?!?

Brian Henke

Feb 28, 2023, 7:05:30 PM2/28/23
On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 5:37:35 PM UTC-5, jdelac...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Michigan papers the Oakland Press, The Macomb Daily, Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant
> They're going with Mt. Pleasant NOW?!?!?!?

The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan.

Cincy...@yahoo.com

----

Ted Goldblatt

Mar 1, 2023, 11:57:27 AM3/1/23
The Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel dropped Dilbert on 2/28, replacing it
with Loose Parts. The Miami Herald indicated it was being dropped, but
didn't indicate a day and I don't have access to check or to see what
the replacement strip is.

Mark Jackson

Mar 1, 2023, 2:33:04 PM3/1/23
The Rochester NY /Democrat and Chronicle/, a Gannett paper, ran Dilbert
on Monday. Since then the space has been filled by a poorly-drawn guy
in vaguely medieval garb working at a desktop computer, thinking "Want
more of your favorite comics? Or maybe find some new ones?" with "Go to
usatoday.com/comics" off to the side.

--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
"Incineration of organic matter within it" is

D.D.Degg

Mar 1, 2023, 3:12:05 PM3/1/23
Mark Jackson wrote:

> The Rochester NY /Democrat and Chronicle/, a Gannett paper, ran Dilbert
> on Monday. Since then the space has been filled by a poorly-drawn guy
> in vaguely medieval garb working at a desktop computer, thinking "Want
> more of your favorite comics? Or maybe find some new ones?" with "Go to
> usatoday.com/comics" off to the side.

It is the February 24, 2023 "Carpe Diem" by Nikolas Eriksson
overhauled for this Gannett application.
https://comicskingdom.com/carpe-diem/2023-02-24

As far as I can tell it is being used in all Gannett papers that carried Dilbert.
Wonder if Eriksson is getting any $$$ for the use of his image?

Brenda Sherrod

Mar 2, 2023, 6:43:43 PM3/2/23
The Dallas Morning News went with Lio. It used to be in the paper but it was dropped a few years ago. I guess they decided to bring it back.

Darryl H

Mar 3, 2023, 1:51:32 PM3/3/23
And as of today, March 3, 2023, the Arlington Illinois Daily Herald newspaper filled the former Dilbert space with Grand Avenus, but the Grand Avenue strip shown is one from a few days ago instead of today's.

D.D.Degg

Mar 3, 2023, 2:55:41 PM3/3/23
The Midland Daily News, part of the Hearst empire, goes with Candorville.
https://www.ourmidland.com/opinion/voices/article/dilbert-coming-back-hr-done-scott-adams-17818165.php

jdelac...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2023, 1:43:07 PM3/4/23
The Vicennes (IN) Sun-Commercial and Citrus County (FL) Chronicle have replaced Dilbert with Crabgrass.

John W Kennedy

Mar 4, 2023, 3:33:20 PM3/4/23
On 3/4/23 1:43 PM, jdelac...@gmail.com wrote:
> The Vicennes (IN) Sun-Commercial and Citrus County (FL) Chronicle have replaced Dilbert with Crabgrass.

The Kennebec Journal, of Augusta, Maine, and the Morning Sentinel, of
Waterville, Maine, (almost-identical twin papers) have both replaced
“Dilbert” with “Herb and Jamaal”. (That surprises me a bit, as the area
was 99.99% White back when I lived there—but that was 60 years ago.)

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,

Darryl H

Mar 5, 2023, 8:23:38 AM3/5/23
On Saturday, March 4, 2023 at 2:33:20 PM UTC-6, John W Kennedy wrote:
For the Sunday papers:
* The New York Daily News and Orlando Sentinel are still carrying the Dilbert Sunday strip as of May 5, 2023 (will they be dropped in a week or two?)
* The Chicago Tribune replaced Dilbert with Grand Avenue on Sundays - the same day the Chicago Sun-Times is still carrying that strip in its Sunday comics section - Hope the Sun-Times finds a Sunday Grand Avenue replacement in a week or two!)

John W Kennedy

Mar 5, 2023, 4:00:02 PM3/5/23
On 3/5/23 8:23 AM, Darryl H wrote:
> On Saturday, March 4, 2023 at 2:33:20 PM UTC-6, John W Kennedy wrote:
>> On 3/4/23 1:43 PM, wrote:
>>> The Vicennes (IN) Sun-Commercial and Citrus County (FL) Chronicle have replaced Dilbert with Crabgrass.
>> The Kennebec Journal, of Augusta, Maine, and the Morning Sentinel, of
>> Waterville, Maine, (almost-identical twin papers) have both replaced
>> “Dilbert” with “Herb and Jamaal”. (That surprises me a bit, as the area
>> was 99.99% White back when I lived there—but that was 60 years ago.)
>>
>> --
>> John W. Kennedy
>> Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,
>> King Pellinore, Captain Bailey, Merlin -- A Kingdom for a Stage!
>
> For the Sunday papers:
> * The New York Daily News and Orlando Sentinel are still carrying the Dilbert Sunday strip as of May 5, 2023 (will they be dropped in a week or two?)

Assuming you mean Mar 5–Sunday color supplements are generally printed a
week or more in advance. I don’t know specifically about those two
papers, but quite a few said a week or so ago that today’s paper would
contain a “Dilbert” for just that reason.

> * The Chicago Tribune replaced Dilbert with Grand Avenue on Sundays - the same day the Chicago Sun-Times is still carrying that strip in its Sunday comics section - Hope the Sun-Times finds a Sunday Grand Avenue replacement in a week or two!)

Brian Henke

Mar 5, 2023, 4:32:14 PM3/5/23
The Plain Dealer announced that Dilbert would be replaced by Crabgrass.

Cincy...@yahoo.com

Darryl H

Mar 5, 2023, 5:32:08 PM3/5/23
Yes, March 5, 2023 - not May 5, 2023 - apologies for the typing error.

Even the Arlington, Illinois Daily Herald in its 4 page Sunday comics now has Grand Avenue in place of Dilbert.

And also in Illinois - the Shaw owned newspapers (Joliet Herald-News, McHenry Northwest Herald, etc.) replaced Dilbert with Herb and Jammal.

D.D.Degg

Mar 5, 2023, 6:08:55 PM3/5/23
Darryl H wrote:

> ...the Shaw owned newspapers ... replaced Dilbert with Herb and Jammal.

No complaints from the guy who abhors reruns
(except for Peanuts and For Better and For Worse)
about Herb and Jamaal being reprints a third of the time?

Brian Henke

Mar 6, 2023, 1:58:33 PM3/6/23
The E-----r replaced Dilbert with Crabgrass.

Cincy...@yahoo.com

---------

Mark Jackson

Mar 6, 2023, 2:51:08 PM3/6/23
On 3/6/2023 1:58 PM, Brian Henke wrote:
> On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 6:08:55 PM UTC-5, D.D.Degg wrote:
>> Darryl H wrote:
>>>
>>> ...the Shaw owned newspapers ... replaced Dilbert with Herb and Jammal.
>>
>> No complaints from the guy who abhors reruns
>> (except for Peanuts and For Better and For Worse)
>> about Herb and Jamaal being reprints a third of the time?
>

> The E-----r replaced Dilbert with Crabgrass.

The Rochester NY /Democrat and Chronicle/ did the same, after running
the generic USA Today Network filler all last week (and Dilbert itself
on Sunday).

John W Kennedy

Mar 6, 2023, 5:04:41 PM3/6/23
On 3/6/23 1:58 PM, Brian Henke wrote:
> On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 6:08:55 PM UTC-5, D.D.Degg wrote:
>> Darryl H wrote:
>>>
>>> ...the Shaw owned newspapers ... replaced Dilbert with Herb and Jammal.
>>
>> No complaints from the guy who abhors reruns
>> (except for Peanuts and For Better and For Worse)
>> about Herb and Jamaal being reprints a third of the time?
>

> The E-----r replaced Dilbert with Crabgrass.

As did the Star Ledger (Newark, NJ), starting with at least one
“Characters meet for the first time” strip rather than current continuity.

> Cincy...@yahoo.com
>
> ---------
>
> Judge Parker, One Big Happy, comics you can read
>
> - Name three things that used to be in Cincinnati you can now find in Atlanta and San Antonio

Darryl H

Mar 12, 2023, 9:07:12 AM3/12/23
And this week on March 12, 2023: The Orlando Sentinel and New York Daily News in their Sunday comics now are beginning to run the Dilbert replacements ("Loose Parts" for Orlando Sentinel, and "Grand Avenue" for New York Daily News). But on March 12, 2023 the Chicago Sun-Times Sunday comics is still running in its Sunday comics "Grand Avenue" when the Chicago Tribune is also carrying it in its Sunday comics the same day!