Happy (late) 80th, Jos. A. Smith! (Political cartoonist/illustrator & artist for Watergate trial)

leno...@yahoo.com

Sep 6, 2016, 1:11:18 PM9/6/16
His birthday was yesterday. Aka Joseph Anthony Smith, he lives in Easton, Pennsylvania.

He's illustrated books by Bernard Evslin, Deborah Hautzig, George MacDonald, Susan Cooper, Lynne Reid Banks, Diana Wynne Jones, Jessie Haas, Nancy Farmer, & Arthur Yorinks.

http://www.josasmith.com/
(his site)

http://www.josasmith.com/about-c10fk
(resume)

http://www.josasmith.com/artist-statement
(brief piece)

Excerpt:

"...My art is a record of those journeys. It is a means of sharing my sense of wonder at what I see. My imagery often surprises me as it evolves on the paper or canvas.

"I practice a combination of trance techniques learned from the Nyngmapa sect of Tibetan Buddhism, research psychologists, anthropologists, and shamans with my own dream records to make that membrane between my waking state and my unconscious more permeable. In retrospect, my images over the years have formed several distinct thematic series that I worked on in parallel..."

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/search/?q=Jos.%20A.%20Smith;t=author
(Kirkus reviews)

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/174780.Jos_A_Smith
(reader reviews)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22jos+a+smith%22++books&biw=1280&bih=869&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjB5sKFnPvOAhVGqx4KHTMbA0sQ_AUIBigB
(illustrations, book covers, & a few photos)

https://www.facebook.com/josasmithart/

http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2007/10/pen-and-ink-book.html
(about "The Pen and Ink Book")\

http://articles.mcall.com/2005-10-27/entertainment/3640967_1_smith-jos-illustrations
(about the 2005 exhibit "Innerscapes" - worth reading)

http://necropolisnow.blogspot.com/2015/07/witches-and-witchlore-illustrations-of.html
(about a 2015 exhibit)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22jos+a+smith%22++books&biw=1280&bih=869&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiR4qaGnPvOAhVFrB4KHYXTBP8Q_AUIBygA&dpr=1#q=%22jos+a+smith%22&tbm=vid
(videos - they includes a few readings of his picture books)

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3055700075.html
(includes awards and booklist)

Excerpts:

Apart from his long career as an educator, Jos. A. Smith worked as an editorial illustrator and political cartoonist for well-known periodicals such as the New York Times, Time, and Harper's --Smith was the courtroom artist for Newsweek during the historic Watergate trial--before moving into children's book illustration...

...(Smith says): "I was also fortunate to be asked by illustrator Richard Lindner to be his studio assistant while I was a student at Pratt Institute. As a result of this I had a rare opportunity to meet and listen to his friends when they visited him in his studio. These included painter Marcel Duchamp, actress Greta Garbo, artist Adja Yunkers, and cartoonist Saul Steinberg. Lindner was one of the most sensitive people I have ever known. He would stop work in the studio and we would go off for hours riding on all the elevated subway lines we could find in search of a certain red chimney that he had seen once years before, or we might go to Central Park Zoo and look at the eyes of the gorilla because of a wise expression he had. Lindner and Hobson Pittman (a painter on the faculty of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia who I studied with every summer at Pennsylvania State University until he retired and turned his studio workshops over to me) both had a profound influence on my life as an artist."

WRITINGS:

SELF-ILLUSTRATED
•The Pen and Ink Book: Materials and Techniques for Today's Artist, Watson-Guptill, 1992.
•Circus Train, Harry N. Abrams (New York, NY), 2001.

ILLUSTRATOR; FOR CHILDREN

•Stan Steiner, The Last Horse, Henry Holt (New York, NY), 1961.
•Walter S. Carpenter and Philip Bluehouse, Two Knots on a Counting Rope: A Navaho Counting Book, Henry Holt (New York, NY), 1964.
•Katharine Carter, reteller, Tales from Hans Christian Andersen, Albert Whitman Publishing (Morton Grove, IL), 1965.
•Edward William Lane, reteller, Tales from Arabian Nights, Albert Whitman Publishing (Morton Grove, IL), 1966.

•Norman Borisoff, Lily, the Lovable Lion, Scholastic (New York, NY), 1975.

•Bernard Evslin, Hercules, Morrow (New York, NY), 1984.
•Deborah Hautzig, reteller, The Wizard of Oz, Random House (New York, NY), 1984.
•Robin McKinley, reteller, Tales from the Jungle Book, Random House (New York, NY), 1985.
•George MacDonald, The Princess and the Goblin, Grosset & Dunlap (New York, NY), 1985.
•Elizabeth Segel, selector, Short Takes: A Short Story Collection for Young Readers, 1986.
•Jenny Overton, Thirteen Days of Christmas, 1987.
•Barbara Ann Brennan, Hand of Light, Pleiades Books, 1987.

•Susan Cooper, Matthew's Dragon, Margaret K. McElderry Books (New York, NY), 1991.
•Helen V. Griffith, Mine "Mine Will," Said John, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1992.
•Sid Fleischman, Jim Ugly, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1992, reissued, HarperTrophy (New York, NY), 2003.
•Lynne Reid Banks, The Adventures of King Midas, Morrow (New York, NY), 1992.
•Diana Wynne Jones, Stopping for a Spell: Three Fantasies, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1993.
•Jessie Haas, Chipmunk!, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1993.
•Mary Serfozo, Benjamin Bigfoot, Margaret K. McElderry Books (New York, NY), 1993.
•Susan Cooper, Danny and the Kings, Margaret K. McElderry Books (New York, NY), 1993.
•Diane Wolkstein, Step by Step, Morrow (New York, NY), 1993.
•Jessie Haas, Mowing, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1994.
•Betty Levin, Starshine and Sunglow, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1994.
•Marc Gellman and Thomas Hartman, How Do You Spell God? Answers to the Big Questions from around the World, foreword by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Morrow Junior Books (New York, NY), 1995.
•Jessie Haas, A Blue for Beware, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1995.
•Jessie Haas, No Foal Yet, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1995.
•Nicholas Heller, Goblins in Green, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1995.
•Jessie Haas, Sugaring, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1996.
•Nancy Farmer, Runnery Granary, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1996.
•Jessie Haas, Be Well, Beware, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1996.
•Betty Levin, Gift Horse, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1996.
•Mirra Ginsburg, Clay Boy, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1997.
•Nicholas Heller, The Giant, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1997.
•Sid Fleischman, Bandit's Moon, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1998.
•Charlotte S. Huck, A Creepy Countdown, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1998.
•Nicholas Heller, Ogres! Ogres! Ogres! A Feasting Frenzy from A to Z, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1999.
•Betty Levin, Creature Crossing, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1999.

•Jessie Haas, Hurry!, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 2000.
•Nicholas Heller, Elwood and the Witch, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 2000.
•Susan Goldman Rubin, The Yellow House: Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin Side by Side, Harry N. Abrams (New York, NY), 2001.
•Rhonda Gowler Greene, Eek! Creak! Snicker, Atheneum Books for Young Readers (New York, NY), 2002.
•Jennifer Armstrong, Audubon: Painter of Birds in the Wild Frontier, Harry N. Abrams (New York, NY), 2003.
•Cheryl Bardoe, Gregor Mendel: The Friar Who Grew Peas, Abrams Books for Young Readers (New York, NY), 2006.
•Arthur Yorinks, The Witch's Child, Abrams Books for Young Readers (New York, NY), 2007.

ILLUSTRATOR; FOR ADULTS

•Sam Epstein and Beryl Epstein, i>European Folk Festivals, 1968.
•The Sierra Club Survival Songbook, collected by Jim Morse and Nancy Mathews, Sierra Club, 1971.
•MacKinlay Kantor, Andersonville, Franklin Library, 1976.
•Erica Jong, Witches, Harry N. Abrams (New York, NY), 1981.
•Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness and Other Tales, Franklin Library, 1982.

Lenona.