Rae the Doe goes M-W-F--TAKE TWO

Chrysi Cat

Sep 1, 2021, 7:49:21 PM9/1/21
Just realised there's a really good reason (Hi, Dorothy!) to not confine
this to the comics ng.

Text from original r.a.c.s post to follow

--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger

Dorothy J Heydt

Sep 1, 2021, 10:35:01 PM9/1/21
In article <3kUXI.7969$4X4....@fx27.iad>,
Chrysi Cat <Chry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Just realised there's a really good reason (Hi, Dorothy!) to not confine
>this to the comics ng.

Hi, Chrysi!

>Text from original r.a.c.s post to follow
>
>> https://www.comicskingdom.com/rae-the-doe/2021-08-30
>>
>> I know she's claiming "busy", but I think this might be more of a case
>of "occupational hazard when you draw from life AND your main character
>is prone to severe depression".

Cf. _Something Positive_, in which the main character is
depressed and so is the artist, who makes no bones about it.

>> Not sure if this will affect any actual physical newspapers; Olive did
>get this syndicated, but I can't imagine any paper whose readership
>wouldn't have had massive subscriber complaints over an openly-trans
>woman drawing an openly-trans character "for muh kids to read". I mean,
>I don't think that Phoebe and Her Unicorn would last another week if
>Dana suddenly were to reveal that Phoebe's birth name had been Peter.

I've never seen this strip before. Is it okay to ask which
character is trans, and how do you know? Previous strips? Some
kind of coding that I wouldn't have noticed? All I found weird
(other than the characters breaking the fourth wall, which
happens a lot in webcomics) was that the reindeer(?) seems to
have their face on sideways.

>> Also, how did *I* of all people not realise this strip existed until a
>week before the production cut? I don't mean "didn't know it was
>syndicated"; I somehow didn't know it had existed even in
>pre-syndication form.

I didn't know it existed until you posted.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Chrysi Cat

Sep 2, 2021, 1:52:57 AM9/2/21
She's a whitetail, not a reindeer. Still wondering which character is
MtF? :-P

Also, yes, "previous strips" is part of it, as somewhere in the early
syndication-only strips she mentions that she's a doe with antlers and
at that point she's standing in front of the trans flag.

>>> Also, how did *I* of all people not realise this strip existed until a
>> week before the production cut? I don't mean "didn't know it was
>> syndicated"; I somehow didn't know it had existed even in
>> pre-syndication form.
>>
> I didn't know it existed until you posted.

Chrysi Cat

Sep 2, 2021, 5:07:32 AM9/2/21
And then I probably should have included this with that last reply
anyway, but Olive's Tumblr still has a link to the original
pre-syndication, webcomic version, plus she archives every KFS strip
there once it's gone behind the KFS paywall (I can't remember if
_that's_ an issue for you or not), with the exception of the "Rae the
Doe Classic" reprints that were a large part of 2021's syndication
package, but can still be found only in the original Webcomic archive
and in the Comics Kingdom archive.

The key link there is probably

https://raethedoe.tumblr.com/

Dorothy J Heydt

Sep 2, 2021, 9:21:00 AM9/2/21
In article <XEZXI.14351$YW.1...@fx05.iad>,
No, now that you've given her a feminine pronoun. :)

Quinn C

Sep 2, 2021, 12:56:15 PM9/2/21
* Chrysi Cat:
Ha! I'm not in the habit of thinking about deer's secondary sex
characteristics, but now that you brought it up, I do remember that
reindeer are the only ones where all have antlers.

Anyway, I quickly found <https://www.raethedoe.com>, which greets you
with a longer origin story.

Remember the time when there were web pages that weren't part of some
social media empire? <g>

--
Some things are taken away from you, some you leave behind-and
some you carry with you, world without end.

Chrysi Cat

Sep 2, 2021, 1:45:38 PM9/2/21
Bear in mind, in this case, that web page pre-dates the syndicated
version of the comic (by 3 years).

Not sure if Olive was doing anything special with her personal *Twitter*
account before starting up the @raethedoe one, though.

John W Kennedy

Sep 2, 2021, 5:37:46 PM9/2/21
She remarked around the same time that she’s a lesbian. At which point,
I concede, my 100%-cis, 100%-straight brain nearly exploded, but—Que
sais-je?