R.I.P. Frank Renlie, 87, in Sep. 2023 ("Tom Trick," 1965-1970)

Lenona

Feb 6, 2024, 2:23:34 PMFeb 6
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/seattle-wa/frank-renlie-11447385
(with photo)

Frank Hanson Renlie, age 87, of Lake Forest Park, Washington passed away on Sunday, September 10, 2023.

- The following is from the bio Frank wrote about himself for a recent art show.

Frank Renlie graduated from the Burnley School of Professional Art (currently known as The Art Institute of Seattle). His early work was particularly inspired by his instructors William Cumming and James Edward Peck.

Following graduation he began a forty-year career as a freelance illustrator. Renlie was active with the Society of Illustrators in New York, and his illustrations were featured in many publications and venues throughout the United States, France and Germany.

While working as a professional illustrator, he also entered his paintings in juried shows throughout the Northwest. He was selected for group exhibitions including Seattle Art Museum's Northwest Annual, Frye Art Museum, Museum of History & Industry (MOHAI), Bellevue Art Museum's Arts & Crafts Fair, and The Best of the Northwest.

Now retired from illustration, he is a full-time painter. For over a dozen years his art has been exhibited nationally - including Washington, Oregon, California and Pennsylvania, and internationally in Mexico, England, and Israel.

Regionally he has been represented by Simon Mace Gallery (Port Townsend) and Matzke Fine Art & Design (Camano Island), and has exhibited at the Anacortes Arts Festival. He has also been featured in regional art auctions including Museum of Northwest Art (La Conner), Schack Art Center (Everett), and Bainbridge Island Museum of Art.

For this stage of his career, Renlie considers himself to be 'self-taught.' He enjoys playing with words and phrases and just tries to paint what comes to mind. He tries to not overthink - letting concepts and ideas just happen.

Renlie makes quick thumbnail sketches at all hours, and draws inspirations from modern-day philosophers like Popeye, who says, "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam!" Frank lives and works in Lake Forest Park and Camano Island.

https://frankrenlie.yolasite.com/
(this includes 31 paintings)

Most of what I posted in 2016:

He illustrated the syndicated comic strip "Tom Trick" from 1965 to 1970.

https://www.illustrationsource.com/stock/artist/frank-renlie/?page=1&size=medium

One cartoon from "The Big Book of Gleeb" reads:

"Someone filled our swimming pool with live piranha. If we don't swim there anymore, the piranha will starve."

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1873&dat=19630606&id=xX0eAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OcoEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6396,1027547&hl=en
(example from "Tom Trick")

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=545206
(another example)

http://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2014/05/there-will-be-quiz.html
(not sure how many of these are by Renlie)

WORKS (as illustrator):

Gleeb by Paul B Lowney, 1970

The Big Book of Gleeb by Paul B Lowney, with a foreword by Steve Allen, 1975
(Amazon reviewer: "It reminds me of John Lennon's book 'In His Own Write'.")

Gleeb IV, by Paul B Lowney, 1976

Toads, by Paul B. Lowney, 1997
("At first glance, Toads appears to be a lighthearted book of humor and cartoons. Certainly, it is that, but please note, it is more than that. Many of the pieces deal with philosophy, ethics, metaphysics, science, psychotherapy, health, love, and the human condition. Some of the items are simply humorous; some are totally serious; and some are both humorous and serious...")

The Love and Dating Game by Paul B. Lowney, 2002

Also: Illustrated games, rhythms, and stunts for children : upper elementary grades, 1957. (Maybe he wrote it?)