Re: Batman TV series to DVD

1 view

Celiandre

Nov 5, 2014, 3:40:59 PM11/5/14
In article <446412936.5541252.1389391868861.JavaMail.app@ela4-
app3202.prod>, frankb...@hotmail.com wrote:

>It's finally happening
>
>http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/15/batman-tv-show-
complete-series-dvd/4496197/

My big question: how did the Batman movie manage to get a DVD release
(considering that Warner Bros. now owns DC Comics, that should seem
like an impossibility) but the series has never been digitized?

Invid Fan

Nov 5, 2014, 8:19:06 PM11/5/14
In article <54563EE0...@gmail.com>, Celiandre
It was owned by someone else.

--
Chris Mack "If we show any weakness, the monsters will get cocky!"
'Invid Fan' - 'Yokai Monsters Along With Ghosts'

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Nov 6, 2014, 1:13:15 AM11/6/14
In article <54563EE0...@gmail.com>,
Celiandre <cie.ce...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've heard the big problem with the series was all the uncredited
cameos by 60s stars (for instance the people the duo often encountered
looking out windows as they scaled a building). At the time the show
was hot, it was an "in" thing to do, and they didn't take care to
get all the rights to the cameos tied down in paperwork.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Ubiquitous

Nov 6, 2014, 4:40:40 AM11/6/14
In article <54563EE0...@gmail.com>, cie.ce...@gmail.com wrote:
>frankb...@hotmail.com wrote:

>>It's finally happening
>>
>>http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/15/batman-tv-show-complete-series-dvd/4496197/
>
>My big question: how did the Batman movie manage to get a DVD release
>(considering that Warner Bros. now owns DC Comics, that should seem
>like an impossibility) but the series has never been digitized?

Aren't the movie rights different from the TV rights?

--
So to recap:
Iraq is imploding

anim8rFSK

Nov 6, 2014, 8:30:09 AM11/6/14
In article <m3ffme$48m$7...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> In article <54563EE0...@gmail.com>, cie.ce...@gmail.com wrote:
> >frankb...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >>It's finally happening
> >>
> >>http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/15/batman-tv-show-complete-ser
> >>ies-dvd/4496197/
> >
> >My big question: how did the Batman movie manage to get a DVD release
> >(considering that Warner Bros. now owns DC Comics, that should seem
> >like an impossibility) but the series has never been digitized?
>
> Aren't the movie rights different from the TV rights?

In this case, yes.

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

Michael Black

Nov 6, 2014, 11:55:45 AM11/6/14
On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, Ubiquitous wrote:

> In article <54563EE0...@gmail.com>, cie.ce...@gmail.com wrote:
>> frankb...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>> It's finally happening
>>>
>>> http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/15/batman-tv-show-complete-series-dvd/4496197/
>>
>> My big question: how did the Batman movie manage to get a DVD release
>> (considering that Warner Bros. now owns DC Comics, that should seem
>> like an impossibility) but the series has never been digitized?
>
> Aren't the movie rights different from the TV rights?

Maybe.

I was thinking that the movie was self contained, so even if it needed the
fussing that the series required, it was only one "episode". So it wa
probably worth the effort to get something out for the public to buy.

I think I got the movie within 2 years of getting a DVD player, so it was
a relatively early on purchase. It gave a sampling of the show.

Michael

anim8rFSK

Nov 6, 2014, 1:44:17 PM11/6/14
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, Ubiquitous wrote:

> >> My big question: how did the Batman movie manage to get a DVD release
> >> (considering that Warner Bros. now owns DC Comics, that should seem
> >> like an impossibility) but the series has never been digitized?
> >
> > Aren't the movie rights different from the TV rights?
> >
> Maybe.

In this case, completely.

> I was thinking that the movie was self contained, so even if it needed the
> fussing that the series required, it was only one "episode". So it wa
> probably worth the effort to get something out for the public to buy.

No. The series is controlled by multiple studios; the movie, only by
one. So they weren't fighting about it.

> I think I got the movie within 2 years of getting a DVD player, so it was
> a relatively early on purchase. It gave a sampling of the show.

Almost every clip you've seen from the show in the last 50 years has
actually been from the movie.

the dog from that film you saw

Nov 7, 2014, 2:45:58 AM11/7/14
On 06/11/2014 18:44, anim8rFSK wrote:

> Almost every clip you've seen from the show in the last 50 years has
> actually been from the movie.

the tv series was repeated on bbc 4 around 4 years ago without problem.

--

Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.

A Friend

Nov 7, 2014, 7:20:44 AM11/7/14
In article <cc3blk...@mid.individual.net>, the dog from that film
you saw <d...@REMOVETHISbtinternet.com> wrote:

> On 06/11/2014 18:44, anim8rFSK wrote:
>

> > Almost every clip you've seen from the show in the last 50 years has
> > actually been from the movie.
> >

> the tv series was repeated on bbc 4 around 4 years ago without problem.

It's running currently on IFC. Broadcast rights have not been a
problem.

My guess is that they took the Batman clips from the 1966 movie
trailer(s). No rights problems there.

anim8rFSK

Nov 7, 2014, 8:33:57 AM11/7/14
In article <cc3blk...@mid.individual.net>,
the dog from that film you saw <d...@REMOVETHISbtinternet.com> wrote:

> On 06/11/2014 18:44, anim8rFSK wrote:
>

> > Almost every clip you've seen from the show in the last 50 years has
> > actually been from the movie.
> >

> the tv series was repeated on bbc 4 around 4 years ago without problem.

The TV series is constantly repeated here. They've always had air
rights; it's other use rights that have been in contention.

Michael Black

Nov 7, 2014, 12:46:03 PM11/7/14
And it's a good thing the series is still being run on tv.

The flyers are out, and Batman the tv series will be available starting on
Tuesday Nov 11. But, the DVD set is 199.99 here in Canada, the special
edition blu-ray set is something like $269.99 (and I didn't see that in
the flyers here), and the first season (on DVD) is about forty or fifty
dollars.

Sure, the special set gets you the Hot Wheels Batman car (I think Dinky
made the original toy car, I know mine is somewhere around), and probably
too much of Adam West, and other extras. But it seems unfair to make
everyone wait for a more decent price without the extras, that is
undoubtedly coming in the future. Fifteen dollars per season seems
reasonable for such an old and well watched tv series.

Michael

anim8rFSK

Nov 7, 2014, 3:36:58 PM11/7/14
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,