2004 SQUIDDY AWARDS--FIRST PSEUDO-NOMINEE LIST [RAC.misc, RAC.dc.universe, RAC.marvel.universe, RAC.marvel.xbooks]

Carl Henderson

Apr 23, 2005, 11:27:48 PM4/23/05
2004 SQUIDDY AWARDS--FIRST PSEUDO-NOMINEE LIST

VOTING PERIOD EXTENDED--SEE ANNOUNCEMENT

This is the first pseudo-nominee list for the 2004 Squiddy Awards. The
pseudo-nominee list is a list of all the creators, books, merchandise, etc.
which have so far received AT LEAST ONE VOTE in the Squiddy awards
balloting.

THIS IS NOT THE BALLOT!

You are NOT limited to voting only for entries on this list; you may vote
for ANY eligible comic/story/creator/etc.

The purpose of the pseudo-nominee list is to:

1) provide an informal list of "nominations" for voters who would like their
memory jogged (although voters are encouraged to consider others not already
listed as well; the names on the "pseudo-nominee" lists are in no way the
only ones you can vote for),

2) point out votes we've determined to be ineligible, and to ask for your
help in determining whether other votes are eligible or not. Some votes that
have been marked as "Ineligible" or "Questionable" will possibly have their
status changed after discussion on RAC.misc. If you are concerned about any
such vote, please follow this thread on RAC.misc.

Copies of the ballot have been posted to all appropriate RAC* newsgroups.
You can also get a copy via Google Groups at:

All vote confirmation emails for ballots received to date should have gone
out, so please let us know if you have voted and have not received one.

If you need a ballot and can not find one elsewhere, email us at
<questi...@squiddies.org> (questions[at]squiddies.org).

For more information about the Squiddy Awards, check out the Squiddies'
website at www.squiddies.org

BEST COMICS WRITER
Brian Michael Bendis
Ed Brubaker
Kurt Busiek
Eddie Campbell
Andy Diggle
Chuck Dixon
Warren Ellis
James Heffron
Josh Howard
Geoff Johns
Kazu Kibuishi
Robert Kirkman
Grant Morrison
Priest
Dan Slott
J. Michael Straczynski
Tom Tomorrow (Dan Perkins)
Brian K. Vaughan
Joss Whedon

BEST COMICS PENCILLER
Kyle Baker
Sergio Cariello
John Cassaday
Frank Cho
Alan Davis
Tommy Lee Edwards
Gary Frank
James Heffron
Josh Howard
Matt Howarth
Phil Jimenez
Kazu Kibuishi
Alex Maleev
Rags Morales
Jerry Ordway
Luke Ross
Tim Sale
Posy Simmonds
Steve Skroce
Ethan Van Sciver
Chris Weston

BEST COMICS CARTOONIST
Scott Adams
Kyle Baker
Eddie Campbell
Frank Cho
Darby Conley
Darwyn Cooke
Geoff Darrow
Will Eisner
Scott Kurtz
Eric Powell
Stan Sakai
Dave Sim
Jeff Smith
Tania - ?
Sean Wang

BEST COMICS INKER
Jim Amash
Michael Bair
John Cassaday
Keith Champagne
Jamie Grant
Jaime Hernandez
Josh Howard
Jerry Ordway
Dan Parsons
Andrew Pepoy
Rick Remender
Bill Sienkiewicz
Tim Townsend
Scott Williams

BEST COMICS PAINTER
Kyle Baker
Eddie Campbell
Greg Horn
J.G. Jones
David Mack
Paolo Rivera
Alex Ross
Ashley Wood
J.K. Woodward

BEST COMICS LETTERER
Eddie Campbell
John Costanza
Ed Dukeshire
Chris Eliopoulos
Jared Fletcher
Greg Gatlin
Todd Klein
Bob Lappan
Ken Lopez
Charles Pritchett
Dave Sim

BEST COMICS COLORIST
Kyle Baker
Eddie Campbell
Chad Fidler
Rick Hiltbrunner
Josh Howard
John Kalisz
Jason Keith
Laura Martin
Justin Ponsor
Alex Sinclair
James Sinclair
Tom Smith
Dave Stewart
INELIGIBLE: WildStorm FX (votes must be for a person; not a studio)

BEST COMICS CREATIVE TEAM
Bendis/Maleev (Daredevil)
Bendis/Oeming (Powers)
Carey/Liew/Hempel/Costanza (My Faith in Frankie)
Claremont/Davis (Uncanny X-Men)
Ellis/Cassaday (Planetary)
Ellis/Weston (Ministry of Space)
Heffron/Lahotch (Territory 51)
Johns/Van Sciver (Green Lantern: Rebirth)
Luna Brothers (Ultra)
Morrison/Quitely (We3)
Ostrander/Duursema/Parsons (Star Wars Republic)
Vaughan/Guerra (Y the Last Man)

BEST COMICS COVER ARTIST
Eddie Campbell
John Cassaday
James Heffron
Greg Horn
Josh Howard
Adam Hughes
James Jean
Jock
Kazu Kibuishi
Greg Land
Jim Lee
Rags Morales
Alex Ross
Seth
Ethan Van Sciver
Brian Wood

BEST COMICS EDITOR
Scott Allie
Tom Brevoort
Joey Cavalieri
Ed Dukeshire
Joan Hilty
Ralph Macchio
Stephan Nelson
Jim Resnowski
Diana Schutz
Julius Schwartz
Peter Tomasi
Steve Wacker

BEST POLITICAL CARTOONIST
No Award
Steve Bell
Pat Oliphant
Ted Rall
Ann Telnaes
Mike Thompson (Detroit Free Press)
G.B. Trudeau
Wiley

BEST COMICS SHORT STORY
Catwoman #32
Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
Demo: Breaking Up
Plastic Man #7 (“Driving the Gorilla Woozy”)
Human Target #10
Plastic Man #10
Rabbithead
She-Hulk #4
Young Ancient One #1 (Epic Anthology)

BEST COMICS NOVELLA
Batman: The Order of Beasts
Couriers 3
Identity Crisis #5
Owly: The Way Home
Punisher: The End
Superman: Secret Identity #3
Tomb Raider: Arabian Nights

BEST ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVEL
Carnet de Voyage
Lovecraft
The Plot
Sgt. Rock: Between Hell & a Hard Place
Spaghetti Western
The White Elephant
INELIGIBLE: Daisy Kutter

BEST COMICS MULTI-PART STORY
Amazing Spider-Man: Sins Past
Dead@17
Fallen Angel #15-18 (Hurley-Burley)
Gotham Central #19-22 (Unresolved)
Green Lantern: Rebirth
JSA: Black Reign
Love & Rockets #1-10 (Maggie storyline)
Plastic Man #1-6
Territory 51
The Walking Dead #1-6
Warlock #1-4
We3 #1-3
Wolverine: Enemy of the State

BEST COMICS ONGOING SERIES
Astonishing X-Men
Birds of Prey
Bone
Daredevil
Dead@17
Ex Machina
Finder
The Flash
The Goon
Hot Gimmick
JSA
Plastic Man
Runaways
Sabrina the Teenage Witch
She-Hulk
Street Angel
Supreme Power
Uncanny X-Men
The Walking Dead
Y the Last Man

BEST MANGA SERIES
Gantz
Ghost in the Shell
Hot Gimmick
Spyboy: Final Exam
Yu-Gi-Oh

BEST NEW COMICS SERIES
Astonishing X-Men
Cable/Deadpool
Conan
Daisy Kutter
Ex Machina
Marvel Team-Up
Or Else
Othello
The Pulse
She-Hulk
Street Angel
Swamp Thing
Territory 51
The Walking Dead
INELIGIBLE: Armor X (started in 2005)

BEST COMICS LIMITED SERIES
1602
Burglar Bill
Daisy Kutter
DC Comics Presents (Julius Schwartz tribute)
DC: New Frontier
Deep Sleeper
Demo
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Identity Crisis
Superman: Secret Identity
Ultimate Nightmare
We3
INELIGIBLE: Iron Ghost (started in 2005)

BEST COMICS REPRINT COLLECTION
All-Star Comics Archives Volume 10
Bone: One Volume Edition
Catwoman: Nine Lives of a Feline Fatale
Complete Peanuts 1950-1952
Crisis on Multiple Earths volume 3
Formerly Known as the Justice League
Hush Volume 2
Jimmy Olsen Adventures, Vol. 2
Infinity Gauntlet
Marvel Essentials
Peanuts (Fantagraphics)
Superman: Red Son
Will Eisner's John Law

BEST COMICS ANTHOLOGY
2000AD
ATP Presents
Bizarro Comics
Dead@17: Rough Cut
Digital Webbing Presents
Flight
JLA Classified
Metal Hurlant
Rosetta 2
Tales of the Vampires
Western Tales of Terror

BEST COMIC STRIP
Boondocks
Dilbert
Doonesbury
Frazz
Get Fuzzy
If...
Liberty Meadows
PvP

BEST WEB COMIC
No Award
Athena Voltaire (www.athenavoltaire.com)
Count Your Sheep (www.countyoursheep.com)
Diesel Sweeties (www.dieselsweeties.com)
Gun Street Girl (www.graphicsmash.com/series.php?name=gsg)
Irregular Webcomic (www.irregularwebcomic.net)
Penny Arcade (www.penny-arcade.com)
PvP (www.pvponline.com)
Sluggy Freelance (www.sluggy.com)
Something Positive (www.somethingpositive.net)
You'll Have That (www.vipercomics.com/webComics/yht/)

BEST COMICS COMPANY/IMPRINT
Across the Pond Studios
Dark Horse
DC Comics
Fantagraphics
Image Comics
Lawdog Comics
Marvel Comics
Vertigo/DC
Viper Comics
Viz
WildStorm/DC

BEST COMICS CHARACTER
Bucky Katt
Catwoman
Daisy Kutter
Daredevil
Falcon
Frank Ironwine
Frankenstein Mobster
Green Lantern
Hawkeye
Nana (Othello)
Nara Kilday
Plastic Man
Savage Dragon
Shatterstar
Usagi Yojimbo
Wolverine

BEST COMICS CHARACTER TEAM
Birds of Prey
Dykes to Watch Out For (cast of)
Ex Machina (cast of)
Fables (cast of)
Hot Gimmick (cast of)
Justice League
JSA
Love & Rockets (cast of)
Runaways
Super Buddies (FKATJL cast)
The Teen Team (Invincible)
X-Men

BEST COMICS-RELATED ADAPTATION
The Incredibles
Justice League Unlimited cartoon
The Punisher
Spider-Man 2

BEST COMICS-RELATED MERCHANDISE
DC Direct Catwoman Hush action figure
Marvel Legends Daredevil
Marvel Legends Hawkeye
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle socks

BEST COMICS PUBLICATION
Alter Ego
Comic Book Artist
The Comics Journal
DC Encyclopedia
Jack Kirby Collector
International Journal of Comic Art
Wizard

BEST FOCUSED COMICS WEBSITE
2000AD Online (www.2000adonline.com)
Aquaman website (www.eskimo.com/~tegan/aqua/)
The Comics Journal (www.tcj.com)
Crazy Mary (www.whoiscrazymary.com)
DC Comics (www.dccomics.com)
GeoffJohns.com
Superman Through the Ages (www.stta.nu)
The X-Axis
INELIGIBLE: Comic Book Resources - general, not focused
INELIGIBLE: Newsarama - general, not focused

BEST GENERAL COMICS WEBSITE
Afnews (www.afnews.info)
The Comics Reporter (www.comicsreporter.com)
Digital Webbing Presents
Grand Comic Book Database (www.comics.org)
Newsarama (www.newsarama.com)
Ninth Art (www.ninthart.com)
Silver Bullet Comic Books (www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com)
Toonzone (www.toonzone.com)
INELIGIBLE: Fark.com (not comic book website)

BEST COMICS BLOG
No Award
The Comics Reporter (www.comicsreporter.com)
Fanboy Rampage! (fanboyrampage.blogspot.com)
The Great Curve (www.thegreatcurve.net)
News From Me (www.newsfromme.com)
PeterDavid.net (www.peterdavid.net)
Wholly Barbarian Blues (joekeatinge.blogspot.com)
Spari d'inchiostro (sparidinchiostro.splinder.com)
INELIGIBLE: Comics Worth Reading (www.comicsworthreading.com)

BEST COMICS JOURNALIST
No Award
Michael Dean
Warren Ellis
Mark Evanier
Rich Johnston
Blair Marnell
Paul O'Brien
Tom Spurgeon

BEST COMICS REVIEWER
Bob Agamemnon
Chris Allen
Alan David Doane
Tony Isabella
Randy Lander
Sean Maher
Michael May
Alex Ness
Paul O'Brien
Tom Spurgeon
Dave Van Domelen
David Welsh
INELIGIBLE: Johanna Draper Carlson (Squiddies Admin)
INELIGIBLE: Randy Lander/Don MacPherson (Not a single person)

FAVORITE RAC'ER (NON-CREATOR)
The Black Guardian
D. J. Degg
Loren Di Iorio
Marc-Oliver Frisch
Tom Galloway
George Grattan
Ken from Chicago
Charles LePage
Nathan P. Mahney
Paul O'Brien
Mike Peterson
ronniecat
Lee K. Seitz
Dave Van Domelen
INELIGIBLE: Johanna Draper Carlson (Squiddies Admin)

FAVORITE RAC'ER (CREATOR)
Tom Brevoort
Kurt Busiek
Mark Evanier
Brooke McEldowney
Fabian Nicieza
Gail Simone
INELIGIBLE: Brian Fies (No RAC postings found in 2004)
INELIGIBLE: Josh Howard (No RAC postings found in 2004)
INELIGIBLE: Kazu Kibuishi (No RAC postings found in 2004)

Pseudo-Classical Random Text from the "Ye Olde Lorem Ipsum Generator,
Fortified and Extra Strong" at www.lorem-ipsum.info/generator2

Sit ei atomorum recteque expetenda? Insolens efficiendi in eos, nihil

iudico nostrud has ea? Ei justo repudiare abhorreant eum, alienum placerat

invidunt usu id, sed ea invidunt legendos assueverit. Porro imperdiet id

his? Ex nam minim nonummy similique, nam ex sonet dolorem voluptatum! Vitae

epicurei eu eum! Te velit affert gloriatur pri, falli decore ullamcorper

vim eu.

Pro oblique persius id, ea vim paulo suscipiantur! Velit posidonium mel in,

altera aperiam cum cu, at pertinax expetendis vim. Pro ne oblique dolorem

vivendo, admodum forensibus mel et, pro melius graecis ad. An duo splendide

urbanitas! Duo ne esse paulo intellegam.

--
Carl Henderson © 2005 Carl Henderson
j...@carlhenderson.net

Remember to vote in the 2004 Squiddies--voting runs through whenever...

Bob

Apr 24, 2005, 1:27:09 AM4/24/05
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:27:48 -0500, j...@carlhenderson.net (Carl
Henderson) wrote:
>BEST COMICS COVER ARTIST

I cannot believe Michael Turner wasn't nominated!

>BEST COMICS EDITOR
>Julius Schwartz

I understand the sentiment, but didn't edit anything in 2004, did he?

>BEST NEW COMICS SERIES
>The Walking Dead

Pretty sure the first issue came out in 2003.

>FAVORITE RAC'ER (CREATOR)

> INELIGIBLE: Brian Fies (No RAC postings found in 2004)

Posts over on rac.strips, definitely had posts in 2004. Search for
mentions of his story "Mom's Cancer".

Ralf Haring

Apr 24, 2005, 3:17:50 AM4/24/05
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 01:27:09 -0400, Bob <kirby_weblogyahoo@.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:27:48 -0500, j...@carlhenderson.net (Carl
>Henderson) wrote:
>
>>BEST COMICS EDITOR
>>Julius Schwartz
>
>I understand the sentiment, but didn't edit anything in 2004, did he?
>
>>BEST NEW COMICS SERIES
>>The Walking Dead
>
>Pretty sure the first issue came out in 2003.

I was also going to note these two as well as:

BEST ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVEL

Sgt. Rock: Between Hell & a Hard Place

This is from 2003. The softcover version might have been published in
2004.

BEST COMICS REPRINT COLLECTION
Complete Peanuts 1950-1952
Peanuts (Fantagraphics)

These should be combined, right?

-Ralf Haring
"The mind must be the harder, the heart the keener,
the spirit the greater, as our strength grows less."
-Byrhtwold, The Battle of Maldon

David Goldfarb

Apr 24, 2005, 5:58:24 AM4/24/05
In article <53bm61p0h0gdl5iv0...@4ax.com>,

Bob <kirby_weblogyahoo@.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:27:48 -0500, j...@carlhenderson.net (Carl
>Henderson) wrote:
>>BEST COMICS COVER ARTIST
>
>I cannot believe Michael Turner wasn't nominated!

Um, who's stopping you? You do realize that this list is a list
of everyone whom anyone has voted for? And that you're eligible
to vote...?

--
David Goldfarb |"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

Johanna Draper Carlson

Apr 24, 2005, 11:46:00 AM4/24/05
gold...@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (David Goldfarb) wrote:
> Bob <kirby_weblogyahoo@.com> wrote:

> >>BEST COMICS COVER ARTIST
> >
> >I cannot believe Michael Turner wasn't nominated!
>
> Um, who's stopping you?

I think it's a joke about this year's Eisners.

--
Johanna Draper Carlson
Reviews of Comics Worth Reading -- http://www.comicsworthreading.com

Johanna Draper Carlson

Apr 24, 2005, 12:51:06 PM4/24/05
Bob <kirby_weblogyahoo@.com> wrote:

> >BEST COMICS EDITOR
> >Julius Schwartz
>
> I understand the sentiment, but didn't edit anything in 2004, did he?

Probably not.

> >BEST NEW COMICS SERIES
> >The Walking Dead
>
> Pretty sure the first issue came out in 2003.

It did, thank you.

> >FAVORITE RAC'ER (CREATOR)
> > INELIGIBLE: Brian Fies (No RAC postings found in 2004)
>
> Posts over on rac.strips, definitely had posts in 2004. Search for
> mentions of his story "Mom's Cancer".

Great, thank you.

Johanna Draper Carlson

Apr 24, 2005, 12:51:57 PM4/24/05
Ralf Haring <har...@SPAMBLOCK.preypacer.com> wrote:

> BEST ORIGINAL GRAPHIC NOVEL
> Sgt. Rock: Between Hell & a Hard Place
>
> This is from 2003. The softcover version might have been published in
> 2004.

Thank you.

> BEST COMICS REPRINT COLLECTION
> Complete Peanuts 1950-1952
> Peanuts (Fantagraphics)
>
> These should be combined, right?

Probably. I'll double check.

Samy Merchi

Apr 24, 2005, 2:48:44 PM4/24/05
j...@carlhenderson.net (Carl Henderson) wrote in

> BEST COMICS CHARACTER

> Green Lantern

I would suggest that especially this year, it's particularly pertinent to
specify *which* Green Lantern.

--
Samy Merchi | sa...@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction

Carl Henderson

Apr 25, 2005, 1:55:39 AM4/25/05
Samy Merchi <sa...@iki.fi> wrote in

> j...@carlhenderson.net (Carl Henderson) wrote in
>
>> BEST COMICS CHARACTER
>
>> Green Lantern
>
> I would suggest that especially this year, it's particularly pertinent
> to specify *which* Green Lantern.

Why Alan Scott, of course. Is there any other Green Lantern?

Good point. I'll note it in the next Pseudo-Nominee List.

jac...@mindspring.com

Apr 25, 2005, 5:09:42 PM4/25/05
In the graphic novel category, Eisner's "The Plot" has not yet been
officially published; it's due out in May.

In the reprint category, "Will Eisner's John Law" is new material by
Gary Chalenor being published by IDW.

Jackie Estrada

Johanna Draper Carlson

Apr 25, 2005, 5:46:37 PM4/25/05
jac...@mindspring.com wrote:

Thank you for the corrections.

Dave Knott

Apr 25, 2005, 6:06:54 PM4/25/05
In rec.arts.comics.misc Carl Henderson <j...@carlhenderson.net> wrote:
> BEST COMICS-RELATED ADAPTATION
> The Incredibles
> Justice League Unlimited cartoon
> The Punisher
> Spider-Man 2

Not sure if _The Incredibles_ is eligible as an adaptation.
Is it not an original work?
Unless, of course, the nomination is for the comic adaptation of the movie ;)

Johanna Draper Carlson

Apr 25, 2005, 6:13:14 PM4/25/05
Dave Knott <kn...@cs.SPAMBLOCK.ubc.ca> wrote:
> In rec.arts.comics.misc Carl Henderson <j...@carlhenderson.net> wrote:
> > BEST COMICS-RELATED ADAPTATION
> > The Incredibles
> > Justice League Unlimited cartoon
> > The Punisher
> > Spider-Man 2
>
> Not sure if _The Incredibles_ is eligible as an adaptation.

After much discussion in previous years, the category is phrased as "A
TV series, movie, novel, short story, play, radio show, etc. ... based
on a comic character or story, or incorporates substantial
comics-related content."

I think the Incredibles counts under "comic-related content".

Jason Michael

Apr 25, 2005, 8:23:30 PM4/25/05

<jac...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Actually, it contains reprints of Eisner's original stories as well as
Chalenor's new stuff. I don't know how that affects what category it should
fall under.

Jason

jasonmich...@canada.com

> Jackie Estrada

Hal Shipman

Apr 25, 2005, 10:20:27 PM4/25/05
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:13:14 -0400, Johanna Draper Carlson
<johann...@comicsworthreading.com> wrote:

> Dave Knott <kn...@cs.SPAMBLOCK.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> In rec.arts.comics.misc Carl Henderson <j...@carlhenderson.net> wrote:
>> > BEST COMICS-RELATED ADAPTATION
>> > The Incredibles
>> > Justice League Unlimited cartoon
>> > The Punisher
>> > Spider-Man 2
>>
>> Not sure if _The Incredibles_ is eligible as an adaptation.
>
>After much discussion in previous years, the category is phrased as "A
>TV series, movie, novel, short story, play, radio show, etc. ... based
>on a comic character or story, or incorporates substantial
>comics-related content."
>
>I think the Incredibles counts under "comic-related content".

But to be an adaptation, doesn't there need to be a clearly defined
source?

Hal.

I don't wear no Stetson
But I'm willing to bet, son
That I'm as big a Texan as you are
- Robert Earl Keen, "Amarillo Highway"

Ralf Haring

Apr 25, 2005, 11:52:32 PM4/25/05
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:20:27 GMT, Hal Shipman
<hshipma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:13:14 -0400, Johanna Draper Carlson
><johann...@comicsworthreading.com> wrote:
>> Dave Knott <kn...@cs.SPAMBLOCK.ubc.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure if _The Incredibles_ is eligible as an adaptation.
>>
>>After much discussion in previous years, the category is phrased as "A
>>TV series, movie, novel, short story, play, radio show, etc. ... based
>>on a comic character or story, or incorporates substantial
>>comics-related content."
>>
>>I think the Incredibles counts under "comic-related content".
>
>But to be an adaptation, doesn't there need to be a clearly defined
>source?

I'm sure I've read this discussion before, just substituting in
Unbreakable for Incredibles.

Charles LePage

Apr 26, 2005, 6:00:19 AM4/26/05
> FAVORITE RAC'ER (NON-CREATOR)
> Charles LePage

That's neat. I get a vote, but my web site doesn't. :)

Johanna Draper Carlson

Apr 26, 2005, 7:09:27 AM4/26/05
Hal Shipman <hshipma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> But to be an adaptation, doesn't there need to be a clearly defined
> source?

Literally, yes, but not for this category. We just didn't want to call
it "Adaptation or Material Inspired By Comics". :)

Johanna Draper Carlson

Apr 26, 2005, 7:10:09 AM4/26/05
"Jason Michael" <jwmi...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> <jac...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >
> > In the reprint category, "Will Eisner's John Law" is new material by
> > Gary Chalenor being published by IDW.
>
> Actually, it contains reprints of Eisner's original stories as well as
> Chalenor's new stuff. I don't know how that affects what category it should
> fall under.

Do you know page counts? Of the total book, how much is reprint?

Hal Shipman

Apr 26, 2005, 3:41:07 PM4/26/05
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:52:32 -0400, Ralf Haring
<har...@SPAMBLOCK.preypacer.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:20:27 GMT, Hal Shipman
><hshipma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:13:14 -0400, Johanna Draper Carlson
>><johann...@comicsworthreading.com> wrote:

>>>After much discussion in previous years, the category is phrased as "A
>>>TV series, movie, novel, short story, play, radio show, etc. ... based
>>>on a comic character or story, or incorporates substantial
>>>comics-related content."
>>>
>>>I think the Incredibles counts under "comic-related content".
>>
>>But to be an adaptation, doesn't there need to be a clearly defined
>>source?
>
>I'm sure I've read this discussion before, just substituting in
>Unbreakable for Incredibles.

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that.

Not that I would advocate messing with the categories anyway, knowing
how much work this already is for Johanna and Carl.

Hal..

Jason Michael

Apr 26, 2005, 7:37:35 PM4/26/05

"Johanna Draper Carlson" <johann...@comicsworthreading.com> wrote in
message news:johannaNOSPAM-54A...@news.uswest.net...

> "Jason Michael" <jwmi...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> <jac...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > In the reprint category, "Will Eisner's John Law" is new material by
>> > Gary Chalenor being published by IDW.
>>
>> Actually, it contains reprints of Eisner's original stories as well as
>> Chalenor's new stuff. I don't know how that affects what category it
>> should
>> fall under.
>
> Do you know page counts? Of the total book, how much is reprint?

Sorry, I don't have the book, but I can make a (sorta) educated guess.
According to Amazon the book is 80 pages. I have the Eclipse reprint from
the early 80s of Eisner's original stories and it fits into a regular 32
page comic along with house ads and several pages of essays by cat yronwode,
so there was probably about 24 pages of story by Eisner. I'd think there
must be about 45-50 pages of new material by Chalenor.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

Jason

jasonmich...@canada.com

Carl Henderson

Apr 26, 2005, 11:17:10 PM4/26/05
Hal Shipman <hshipma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:52:32 -0400, Ralf Haring
> <har...@SPAMBLOCK.preypacer.com> wrote:

>>I'm sure I've read this discussion before, just substituting in
>>Unbreakable for Incredibles.

Correct. And that's one of the factors that led to the current category
defintion.

> Not that I would advocate messing with the categories anyway, knowing
> how much work this already is for Johanna and Carl.

Oh we love messing with categories--just as long as we don't have to do it
in the middle of the voting.

Carl Henderson

Apr 26, 2005, 11:16:01 PM4/26/05

>>I think the Incredibles counts under "comic-related content".

> But to be an adaptation, doesn't there need to be a clearly defined
> source?

While it is true that the name of the category is "Best Comics-Related
Adaptation," that category is defined as:

  A TV series, movie, novel, short story, play, radio show, etc. that was
  first published or performed in 2004, and was based on a comic character
  or story, or incorporates substantial comics-related content. For works
  of fiction only.

Based on my reading of that (and I wrote it), THE INCREDIBLES qualifies
easily.

Carl Henderson

Apr 26, 2005, 11:19:40 PM4/26/05
"Jason Michael" <jwmi...@sympatico.ca> wrote in

> Sorry, I don't have the book, but I can make a (sorta) educated guess.
> According to Amazon the book is 80 pages. I have the Eclipse reprint
> from the early 80s of Eisner's original stories and it fits into a
> regular 32 page comic along with house ads and several pages of essays
> by cat yronwode, so there was probably about 24 pages of story by
> Eisner. I'd think there must be about 45-50 pages of new material by
> Chalenor. Sorry I can't be more specific.

On the surface, that sounds like it would be eligible. The rule we use (from
the ballot) is:

Best Comics Graphic Novel of 2004:
  A new, single comics story under one cover (either stand-alone, or
  an episode of an ongoing series) of 73 story pages or more (covers, ads,
  letters and house pages, excluded). A "remix" or "director's cut" of a
  previously published Graphic Novel must contain at least 25% new story
  content to be eligible again in this category.

Since this "remix" has around 2/3rds new content, it sounds okay.

Michael Alan Chary

Apr 27, 2005, 12:42:35 PM4/27/05
In article <Xns9644E3CD9411Bc...@216.196.97.136>,

Carl Henderson <j...@carlhenderson.net> wrote:
>Hal Shipman <hshipma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
>

>>>I think the Incredibles counts under "comic-related content".
>
>> But to be an adaptation, doesn't there need to be a clearly defined
>> source?
>
>While it is true that the name of the category is "Best Comics-Related
>Adaptation," that category is defined as:
>
>  A TV series, movie, novel, short story, play, radio show, etc. that was
>  first published or performed in 2004, and was based on a comic character
>  or story, or incorporates substantial comics-related content. For works
>  of fiction only.
>
>Based on my reading of that (and I wrote it), THE INCREDIBLES qualifies
>easily.

kWhat about the Seinfeld/Superman web story?
--
An experiment in publishing:
http://www.ethshar.com/thesppigganexperiment0.html

Carl Henderson

Apr 27, 2005, 10:45:15 PM4/27/05
mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote in

> In article <Xns9644E3CD9411Bc...@216.196.97.136>,
> Carl Henderson <j...@carlhenderson.net> wrote:

>>Based on my reading of that (and I wrote it), THE INCREDIBLES qualifies
>>easily.

> What about the Seinfeld/Superman web story?

As long as it was published in 2004 (and was not a comic book), it should
qualify.

Lee K. Seitz

May 2, 2005, 10:42:28 PM5/2/05
In article <Xns9641E5C562913c...@216.196.97.136>,
Carl Henderson <j...@carlhenderson.net> wrote:
>2004 SQUIDDY AWARDS--FIRST PSEUDO-NOMINEE LIST

>FAVORITE RAC'ER (NON-CREATOR)
>Lee K. Seitz

Should I be flattered or start looking out for a stalker? :-) I always
figured I was either a nobody or "that Rom guy" (or, I suppose, both)
as far as the general population of rac.* was concerned.

--
lkseitz (Lee K. Seitz) .at. hiwaay @dot@ net
Make mine Marvel!

Carl Henderson

May 3, 2005, 9:49:56 PM5/3/05
lks...@see.my.sig (Lee K. Seitz) wrote in news:117dp8ksp8us5b3
@corp.supernews.com:

> In article <Xns9641E5C562913c...@216.196.97.136>,
> Carl Henderson <j...@carlhenderson.net> wrote:
>>2004 SQUIDDY AWARDS--FIRST PSEUDO-NOMINEE LIST
>
>>FAVORITE RAC'ER (NON-CREATOR)
>>Lee K. Seitz
>
> Should I be flattered or start looking out for a stalker? :-) I always
> figured I was either a nobody or "that Rom guy" (or, I suppose, both)
> as far as the general population of rac.* was concerned.

There's no accounting for taste; I even placed in the top three one year.

jpha...@yahoo.com

May 7, 2005, 2:05:26 AM5/7/05
I'm not getting any replies from either the voting or questions email
address, so here's my (revised) ballot.

*----- Do Not Erase Anything After This Line -----*

2004 REC.ARTS.COMICS AWARDS BALLOT

Please read both the voting instruction and award category descriptions

in the previous section before voting. PLEASE SEND BALLOT AS PLAIN
TEXT.

#A1 Example Vote...: write your vote on a single line after the colon

#C0 Writer.........: Michael Avon Oeming
#C1 Penciller......: Andrea DiVito
#C2 Cartoonist.....:
#C3 Inker..........: Andrea DiVito
#C4 Painter........:
#C5 Letterer.......: Randy Gentile
#C6 Colorist.......: Laura Villari
#C7 Creative Team..: Michael Avon Oeming/Andrea DiVito/Laura Villari
#C8 Cover Artist...: Steve Epting
#C9 Editor.........: Tom Brevoort
#CA Pol. Cartoonist:

#B0 Short Story....: Thor Ragnarok Final Issue #85
#B1 Comics Novella.:
#B2 Graphic Novel..:
#B3 Multi-Part.....: Thor Ragnarok #80-85
#B4 Ongoing Series.: Thor
#B5 Manga Series...:
#B6 New Series.....: JLA: Classified
#B7 Limited Series.: Identity Crisis
#B8 Reprint Book...: Thor Legends Vol. 3: Walt Simonson Book 3
#B9 Anthology......:
#BA Comic Strip....:
#BB Web Comic......:

#M0 Company/Imprint: DC Comics
#M1 Character......: Deathstroke
#M2 Character Team.: Thor and the Odinpower
#M3 Adaptation.....: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
#M4 Merchandise....:
#M5 Publication....:
#M6 Focused Website: Neil Gaiman http://www.neilgaiman.com
#M7 General Website: Newsarama http://www.newsarama.com
#M8 Comics Blog....: ComicBoards http://www.comicboards.com
#M9 Journalist.....: No Award
#MA Reviewer.......: No Award

#R0 Non-Creator....: Daibhid Ceannaideach
#R0 Non-Creator....: Hannibal Tabu
#R0 Non-Creator....: Jon Yeager
#R1 Creator........: No Award
#R1 Creator........:
#R1 Creator........:

PLEASE DISABLE YOUR SPAMBLOCKS BEFORE VOTING.
SEND VOTES TO: <votes2...@squiddies.org> (votes2004[at]squiddies.org)

*--------------------End Ballot-------------------*

Johanna Draper Carlson

May 7, 2005, 7:21:57 AM5/7/05
jpha...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I'm not getting any replies from either the voting or questions email
> address, so here's my (revised) ballot.

I got your question email late yesterday and was about to respond when I
saw this. Geez, have some patience.

We got your ballot and will be posting the last pseudo-nom list this
weekend.

bub

May 7, 2005, 12:40:55 PM5/7/05
test