Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

Otto J. Makela

Feb 9, 2022, 5:50:16 AM2/9/22
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> Some critics are saying that the massive success of the new movie,
> "Spider-Man: No Way Home," shows beyond a doubt that movie audiences
> are seeking films with substance and heart, not woke messaging that's
> nothing more than thinly veiled propaganda for Leftist causes.

Someone claiming Spiderman, Superman, X-Men and other US comics have not
contained political messages as parables from the very first issues
seems to me to be intentionally denying reality.

From time to time we receive letters from readers who wonder why
there’s so much moralizing in our mags. They take great pains to
point out that comics are supposed to be escapist reading and
nothing more. But somehow, I can’t see it that way. It seems to
me that a story without a message, however subliminal, is like a
man without a soul. In fact, even the most escapist literature
of all – old time fairy tales and heroic legends – contained
moral and philosophical points of view. At every college campus
where I may speak, there’s as much discussion of war and peace,
civil rights, and the so-called youth rebellion as there is of
our Marvel mags per se. None of us lives in a vacuum – none of
us is untouched by the everyday events around us – events which
shape our stories just as they shape our lives. Sure our tales
can be called escapist – but just because something’s for fun,
doesn’t mean we have to blanket our brains as we read it!
Excelsior!
-- Stan Lee: Stan's Soapbox column

Followup-to: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.comics.misc
--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <o...@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */

Anthony Furey

Feb 11, 2022, 9:37:48 AM2/11/22
Otto J. Makela wrote

> Someone claiming Spiderman, Superman, X-Men and other US comics have not
> contained political messages as parables from the very first issues
> seems to me to be intentionally denying reality.

Rightists are often too busy consuming copious quantities of Kiddy Porn to
bother understanding classic illustrated literature or any other kind of
reading, no matter who it's aimed at.

Trump doesn't even read picture books, he's so fucking stupid.

Anthony Furey

Feb 11, 2022, 10:00:43 AM2/11/22
Otto J. Makela wrote

> Someone claiming Spiderman, Superman, X-Men and other US comics have not
> contained political messages as parables from the very first issues
> seems to me to be intentionally denying reality.

Cyber kNight

Feb 17, 2022, 11:19:55 AM2/17/22
I don't think moralizing is a problem. It's when it crosses
the line into politicizing that I think it is a problem. Or
at least it becomes something I don't want to read. That
line is not always easy to define but I know it when I read
it.
--
http://www.megalextoria.com/wordpress

--