Rich Morrissey, R.I.P.

1 view

Mark Evanier

May 22, 2001, 7:20:45 PM5/22/01
I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack. Rich was a frequent
contributor to fanzines, comic book history projects and even to
newsgroups and message boards. A lawyer by trade, he was one of the
people DC often called upon to identify writers and artists in
reprinted work for which they did not have credits. A few years ago,
he arranged for veteran DC writer John Broome to attend his
one-and-only San Diego Comic Convention. Rich not only set it all up,
he paid a large chunk of the travel expense, just because he wanted to
pay Broome back for all the joy his work had given to the world of
comic art.

Rich was a very nice guy and I'll miss him a lot. (And no, I don't
know how old he was. I would guess early-to-mid forties.) If anyone
has any other biographical material, I'd appreciate hearing from them.
------------------------------
NOW ONLINE: www.evanier.com
A website about comic books, cartoons, TV,
movies, Groo the Wanderer, Broadway, Las
Vegas, Hollywood and possums in my back yard.

Thomas Galloway

May 22, 2001, 7:44:08 PM5/22/01
In article <ilslgto2eq4qv9ras...@4ax.com>,

Mark Evanier <m...@evanier.com> wrote:
>I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
>Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack. Rich was a frequent
>contributor to fanzines, comic book history projects and even to
>newsgroups and message boards.

Damn. Rich was a nice guy, and made many useful contributions to the r.a.c.
newsgroups in terms of answering questions and discussing in particular
Silver and Golden Age books.

He was also key in r.a.c.'s Black Ink Irregulars managing to stay within
one question's score against the Purple Pros the year that the topic
was the pre-Byrne Superman. The Pros figured they had the match wrapped
up, due to having Mark "I can recite Clark Kent's Social Security number
off the top of my head" Waid, but since I knew that Rich had volunteered
to be on the BII, I felt we had a chance. As soon as the Pros found out
that Rich was on our team, possibly the only person who knew more Superman
trivia than Mark, they immediately accused us of bringing in a ringer.
To which I responded, "Hey, he posts to r.a.c., and he volunteered; I
didn't recruit him". While Mark proved to be a bit faster on the buzzer,
leading to the Pros winning (as I recall, the tossup question results
for that year were Mark 10, Rich 7, myself somehow squeaking 3, and everyone
else working on their tan :-)), Rich managed to answer a number of questions
at a difficulty level such that both teams and the audience were just
flat out amazed.

We've actually been pretty lucky not to have lost many r.a.c.ers to death,
as opposed to just drifting away from the newsgroups. I suppose as both
long-timers get older and the net population continues to more and more
resemble the general population, we'll have to deal with this sort of thing
more often. Damn it.

tyg t...@panix.com

Johanna Draper Carlson

May 22, 2001, 8:16:29 PM5/22/01
Mark Evanier at m...@evanier.com wrote:

> I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
> Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack.

Rich and I rarely agreed on anything, but his love of comics was unsurpassed
and his contributions valuable. He will be missed.

Johanna Draper Carlson joh...@comicsworthreading.com
Reviews of Comics Worth Reading -- http://www.comicsworthreading.com

Steven Rowe

May 22, 2001, 8:40:15 PM5/22/01
Rich was born in 1954, I can't recall what month.
- I joked with him that since he had a story published by DC, that made him a
comics pro; he'd demur and say the story was only known for being the first
comic book work of Michael Golden.
I've known Rich since 1972, primarily in apas (the pre-newsgroup newsgroups),
but have had the pleasure of talking with him several times. He's one of the
few fans who've actually visited me in my home (where we pulled out some 'mile
high" comics and discussed- not the condition - but who wrote the stories...).
Rich was full of stories, and I enjoyed talking about mutual friends -- indeed
i owe him 2-3 steak dinners and a couple of beers...And I'm sorry that I never
managed to visit Boston as he asked....
While a lawyer by training, he told me that he wasn't practicing law ...
let's see what else..., he was one of the founders of Legion fandom, and
Interlac;
he published a revival of the fanzine Batmania. Isn't he the guy who
rediscoverd Al Schwartz? While some of us talked about looking for missing
pros, Rich would look for, find them, and contact them.
Besides comics, he also knew his dogs, and took his dogs to various shows in
the eastern USA.
a very nice guy... fandom and I will miss him alot...

Steven Rowe

---------------------------------
Don't forget to Delete "Unspam" if you wish to e- mail me.

join the FelixTheCat list at www.egroups.com
.

cliff

May 22, 2001, 9:18:09 PM5/22/01

> I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
> Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack.

I'm extremely saddened to hear this. Rich was a very good person, always
amiable and chatty and informative. I wish I had been able to spend much
more time talking to him.

We lose too many friends all too soon.

cliff biggers

Brian Jacks

May 22, 2001, 10:20:36 PM5/22/01
>From: Mark Evanier m...@evanier.com

>I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
>Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack.

He was only 46? Heart attack? Wow, that's more surprising than the Douglas
Adams heart attack. And people only think elderly ones get those. Goes to
show ya, you never know what day will be your last. Sorry to hear it.

-brian

Brian Jacks

May 22, 2001, 10:24:59 PM5/22/01
>From: Johanna Draper Carlson joh...@comicsworthreading.com

>Rich and I rarely agreed on anything, but his love of comics was unsurpassed
>and his contributions valuable. He will be missed.

Let's not forget his love of Star Trek, as demonstrated in the below post:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Richard+Morrissey+comics&start=10&hl=en&
lr=&safe=off&rnum=14&ic=1&selm=19990801230053.10613.00004041%40ng-fq1.aol.com

-brian

Jason Brice

May 22, 2001, 10:29:30 PM5/22/01
>I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
>Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack.

Rich was a contributor Silver Bullet Comics. I'll miss him.

Does anyone have a picture of Rich that they could e-mal me? I'd really
appeciate it.

Jason Brice - Editor in Chief
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/
ICQ 198932

Bruce Baugh

May 22, 2001, 11:00:32 PM5/22/01
Damn.

Thank you for the news, Mark. I had my arguments with Rich (like, duh,
almost anyone worth talking with at all is worth arguing with once in a
while), but I also recall him being very generous with information and
commentary at times when it was most welcome. I'll miss him.

--
Bruce Baugh <*> bruce...@sff.net <*> http://www.tkau.org
Writer of Fortune

KRothst402

May 23, 2001, 1:10:13 AM5/23/01
Rich was a damn good guy.

Besides being into comics, he was also a dog breeder of some kind and would go
to dog shows. People shouldn't die of heart attacks at 47 in the year 2001.

I'll miss his presence at the Bob Rozakis trivia chat at aol.

Mark Evanier

May 23, 2001, 2:03:40 AM5/23/01
I just posted a photo (and a slightly longer obit) of Rich at my
website. There'll be a longer obit in Comics Buyer's Guide next week,
assuming I get it done tonight.

Jason Brice

May 23, 2001, 6:09:04 AM5/23/01
In article <1kkmgt0jhaeqgbpo8...@4ax.com>, m...@evanier.com wrote:
>I just posted a photo (and a slightly longer obit) of Rich at my
>website.

I posted an obit for Rich at SBC earlier today. I just wish I'd known him
better.

As it happens this Saturday we were scheduled to run the second of two pieces
that Rich recently wrote for us, the first of which is currently on the site.
Sadly I think this will be his last published work.

I'd like to get a general consensus of whether people feel it is appropriate
to run the last column this weekend. I'm not sure of the proper etiquette in
this situation and I would hate to upset or offend anyone at this point in
time.

CpSpalding

May 23, 2001, 7:54:39 AM5/23/01
>I'd like to get a general consensus of whether people feel it is appropriate
>to run the last column this weekend. I'm not sure of the proper etiquette in
>this situation and I would hate to upset or offend anyone at this point in
>time.

I am very sure that Rich would want it run this weekend and to me, that's what
is most important.

Bob Hughes

May 23, 2001, 8:35:01 AM5/23/01
Mark Evanier <m...@evanier.com> wrote:

>I just posted a photo (and a slightly longer obit) of Rich at my
>website. There'll be a longer obit in Comics Buyer's Guide next week,
>assuming I get it done tonight.

On my web page it has always said "Thanks to Richard Morrissey for
teaching me everything I know". If it wasn't for Rich's
encouragement and generosity (and patience) I wouldn't even be here
on the net, in the Grand Comics Database, etc.

>------------------------------
>NOW ONLINE: www.evanier.com
>A website about comic books, cartoons, TV,
>movies, Groo the Wanderer, Broadway, Las
>Vegas, Hollywood and possums in my back yard.

Bob Hughes
Who Drew Superman?-Superman artists from the golden and silver age profiled at:
http://members.ttlc.net/~bobhughes/superart.htm

"Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music. Music is best."

Frank Zappa

Doug Tonks

May 23, 2001, 9:40:38 AM5/23/01
Jason Brice (bigk...@silverbulletcomicbooks.com) wrote:

>I'd like to get a general consensus of whether people feel it is appropriate
>to run the last column this weekend. I'm not sure of the proper etiquette in
>this situation and I would hate to upset or offend anyone at this point in
>time.

You may want to write a more substantial introduction than you would otherwise
have, but certainly you should run it as planned.

--Doug Tonks
_____

Teaching AIDS--a book for parents and teachers
AIDS Prevention Education
http://www.mtsu.edu/~hytonks/aidsbook.html

Anthony Isabella

May 23, 2001, 9:54:45 AM5/23/01
On Wed, 23 May 2001 10:09:04 GMT, bigk...@silverbulletcomicbooks.com
(Jason Brice) wrote:

>I'd like to get a general consensus of whether people feel it is appropriate
>to run the last column this weekend. I'm not sure of the proper etiquette in
>this situation and I would hate to upset or offend anyone at this point in
>time.<<<

Please run it. My guess is that Rich would have wanted you to do so.

Tony Isabella
*********************************
*********************************
TONY'S ONLINE TIPS
New columns starting on
Friday, March 2 at:
http://www.PerpetualComics.com

TONY'S TIPS
Reprints from Comics Buyer's Guide
plus new material every Friday at:
http://www.wfcomics.com/tony

TONY'S TIPS MESSAGE BOARD:
http://www.wfcomics.com/boards/tony

Elayne Riggs

May 23, 2001, 10:41:52 AM5/23/01
In rec.arts.comics.misc Mark Evanier <m...@evanier.com> wrote:
> I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
> Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack. Rich was a frequent
> contributor to fanzines, comic book history projects and even to
> newsgroups and message boards.

Oh my God. I'm stunned. Thanks so much for informing us about this,
Mark. I always liked Rich, he was a lot of fun to hang around, and he
will be *greatly* missed. If you find out, please let people know where
to send condolences.

- Elayne

Robin Riggs

May 23, 2001, 11:00:37 AM5/23/01
Mark Evanier <m...@evanier.com> wrote:

> Rich was a very nice guy and I'll miss him a lot.

He was indeed a very nice guy. The last time I saw Rich was at the White
Plains convention last year where he effortlessly named around a hundred
characters on a massive painting they had on display (I only knew about
half of them). The depth of his knowledge was truly impressive. He was
always friendly and I'll miss him.

--Robin.

Mark Evanier

May 23, 2001, 12:21:29 PM5/23/01
On 23 May 2001 14:41:52 GMT, Elayne Riggs <fire...@panix.com> posted:

>Oh my God. I'm stunned. Thanks so much for informing us about this,
>Mark. I always liked Rich, he was a lot of fun to hang around, and he
>will be *greatly* missed. If you find out, please let people know where
>to send condolences.

ME: Rich left almost no family. So I don't think there is anyone to
whom to send condolences.

Alan David Doane

May 23, 2001, 12:16:03 PM5/23/01
(Jason Brice) wrote:

>In article <1kkmgt0jhaeqgbpo8...@4ax.com>, m...@evanier.com wrote:
>>I just posted a photo (and a slightly longer obit) of Rich at my
>>website.
>
>I posted an obit for Rich at SBC earlier today. I just wish I'd known him
>better.
>
>As it happens this Saturday we were scheduled to run the second of two pieces
>that Rich recently wrote for us, the first of which is currently on the site.
>Sadly I think this will be his last published work.
>
>I'd like to get a general consensus of whether people feel it is appropriate
>to run the last column this weekend. I'm not sure of the proper etiquette in
>this situation and I would hate to upset or offend anyone at this point in
>time.

I'd absolutely post it, Jason. He wrote it to be seen, and I am sure
would be honoured to know it was read by people who cared.

Nuff said.

Alan David Doane
Editor-in-Chief
Comic Book Galaxy
One of Usenet's Favourite Surviving Comics Web Sites
http://www.comicbookgalaxy.com

Thomas Galloway

May 23, 2001, 1:56:52 PM5/23/01
In article <9eg5p7$5bp$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>,

Jason Brice <bigk...@silverbulletcomicbooks.com> wrote:
>I'd like to get a general consensus of whether people feel it is appropriate
>to run the last column this weekend. I'm not sure of the proper etiquette in
>this situation and I would hate to upset or offend anyone at this point in
>time.

I'd like to think that Rich would find it appropriate to run the column and
add a squib about how in similar circumstances DC chose to eventually run
a Superman story that featured JFK after his sudden death. :-)

tyg t...@panix.com

jayembee

May 23, 2001, 2:17:52 PM5/23/01
On Tue, 22 May 2001 23:20:45 GMT, Mark Evanier babbled...

> I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
> Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack.

I'm in shock. I can't say that I could call Rich a "friend", but I've
known him for more years than I want to count from Boston-area
fan stuff (not just comics, but SF as well).

> Rich was a very nice guy and I'll miss him a lot. (And no, I don't
>know how old he was. I would guess early-to-mid forties.)

I'd always assumed he was about my age (47) or a little older.

-- jayembee (jerry period boyajian at-sign eds period com)

"Buster, this trip downriver has been truly special.
Downright Twainian in a Hitchcockian sort of way."

Elayne Riggs

May 23, 2001, 2:21:57 PM5/23/01
In rec.arts.comics.misc Mark Evanier <m...@evanier.com> wrote:
> On 23 May 2001 14:41:52 GMT, Elayne Riggs <fire...@panix.com> posted:

>>Oh my God. I'm stunned. Thanks so much for informing us about this,
>>Mark. I always liked Rich, he was a lot of fun to hang around, and he
>>will be *greatly* missed. If you find out, please let people know where
>>to send condolences.

> ME: Rich left almost no family. So I don't think there is anyone to
> whom to send condolences.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I should have mentioned, as I would encourage others to do in this thread
(and Tyg has already done), a particularly happy memory I have of Rich.

As some folks may recall, last year at the convention in White Plains a
giant comic book mural was created. Very impressive piece. They
displayed it across the stage of the exhibition hall. Robin's table faced
the mural, and he and I were musing about who might be able to name every
single character depicted in the mural (there were dozens). Rich came
along, I jokingly "challenged" him to name them all. And he did, walking
the length of the mural and pointing out every one. Utterly delightful,
and it's how I'll always remember Rich.

- Elayne

James Schee

May 23, 2001, 4:31:48 PM5/23/01
>From: Mark Evanier m...@evanier.com

>I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
>Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack.

Wow that is sad to hear. Rich and I rarely shared similar tastes when it came
to comics, but he always made his points well and seemed like a nice guy.

He'll be missed.

James

Flashfire

May 23, 2001, 4:37:23 PM5/23/01
>>From: Mark Evanier m...@evanier.com
>
>>I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
>>Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack.

It's a real shame. I saw him around on AOL boards for John Byrne and Peter
David, among others. Never really talked to him, but he was always polite and
cordial, made good points, and was a good guy -- even when disagreeing with
Byrne enough times that Byrne went out of his way to insult him any chance he
got. He carried himself in a way I wish more would do.

James

-----------

Remove 'motion' from e-mail address to reply via e-mail.

Johanna Draper Carlson

May 23, 2001, 5:47:50 PM5/23/01
Thomas Galloway at t...@panix.com wrote:

> I'd like to think that Rich would find it appropriate to run the column and
> add a squib about how in similar circumstances DC chose to eventually run
> a Superman story that featured JFK after his sudden death. :-)

Nice job, Tom -- you made me both laugh and cry at the same time. That would
be very Rich.

Steven Rowe

May 23, 2001, 6:41:51 PM5/23/01
>I'd always assumed he was about my age (47) or a little older.

He was born in 1954.

I have been told, that he indeed has no family except an Aunt in Ohio...
.. but as you can see, he had plenty of friends...

Steven Rowe>

JDSchnoop

May 23, 2001, 7:31:48 PM5/23/01
>From: Mark Evanier

>I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
>Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack.

I'm shocked and saddened to hear this news. I first "met" Rich here on r.a.c.m
about six years ago. But, I have since MET him in San Diego '98 and we played
pass-by tag at White Plains last year -- we both kept doing something else, saw
each other, waved and smiled, but didn't get a chance to talk. Sigh.

As the Forum Leader for the AOL Comics and Anime Forum, I'm know I'm not alone
when I say Rich was a valued member of our forum. He took part in the chats,
on the boards, coming up with answers to questions as quick as you could type
'em out! Yeah, he could argue with the best of 'em, too. Must've been that
lawyer schooling! :) He'll be missed by all on AOL -- even those with whom he
liked to quarrel.

Comics fandom has lost a very special fan and we've each lost a genuinely NICE
friend.

--Jacquelyn Schnoop
AOL Comics and Anime Forum Leader

Jason Brice

May 23, 2001, 10:01:49 PM5/23/01
Friends,

Thank you all for replying and confirming my gut feeling. If people don't
think it is too crass I'll post a link here on the day it goes up.

I must say I continue to be deeply affected by his loss.

skullduggery

May 24, 2001, 2:16:12 AM5/24/01
to m...@evanier.com

Mark Evanier wrote:

> I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard

> Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack. Rich was a frequent
> contributor to fanzines, comic book history projects and even to

> newsgroups and message boards. A lawyer by trade, he was one of the
> people DC often called upon to identify writers and artists in
> reprinted work for which they did not have credits. A few years ago,
> he arranged for veteran DC writer John Broome to attend his
> one-and-only San Diego Comic Convention. Rich not only set it all up,
> he paid a large chunk of the travel expense, just because he wanted to
> pay Broome back for all the joy his work had given to the world of
> comic art.

> Rich was a very nice guy and I'll miss him a lot. (And no, I don't

> know how old he was. I would guess early-to-mid forties.) If anyone
> has any other biographical material, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

> ------------------------------
> NOW ONLINE: www.evanier.com
> A website about comic books, cartoons, TV,
> movies, Groo the Wanderer, Broadway, Las
> Vegas, Hollywood and possums in my back yard.

Thanks for passing on this news, Mark.
I was a member of the K-A apa for a time in the early 90's (before I left
the group to join the MZS apa) and I always enjoyed Rich's contributions.
Unfortunately I didn't keep in contact with him after I left. I'm really
sorry to hear of his passing and I wish the best to his family and
friends. He was really a great person and his love of comics was very
obvious from the the effort he put in his zines in K-A.
I was never really a fan of Superman at that time, but some of Rich's
contributions really made me take a second look at the character and
actually influenced me enough to start purchasing the titles at the time.
What more can one really ask of a comics fan than for them to turn another
reader on to a solid title ( or group of titles ) that they may not have
given credence to previously.
Rich was one of a kind, and that's really a shame.

skullduggery

http://users.ev1.net/~skullduggery/mzs2.html

Dana Marshall

May 24, 2001, 7:11:46 PM5/24/01
Rich had just rejoined Interlac (longest running Legion APA, and Rich
was a founding member), and sent in 14 pages for our 150th issue. I
remember Rich back in the late 80's - early 90's, during my first
stint with 'Lac, and damn, I'm sorry I didn't keep up with him or
anyone else in 'Lac until I joined a few years ago.

Interlac has lost two members in two issues, Arnie Starkey right after
Issue 149 (4 months ago), and now Rich... when I heard about this (was
sent to all those in 'Lac with email), I forbade anyone else in 'Lac
dying! Too bad THAT wish can never come true.

Dana Marshall
www.danawheels.net

Tom Burkert

May 24, 2001, 8:11:41 PM5/24/01
skullduggery <skulld...@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<3B0CA72C...@ev1.net>...

> Mark Evanier wrote:
>
> > I am informed that long-time comics fan-historian-writer Richard
> > Morrissey died this morning of a heart attack. Rich was a frequent
> > contributor to fanzines, comic book history projects and even to
> > newsgroups and message boards.

Rich and I shared so many good times together over the years, it's
hard to know where to begin....and harder to accept that we'll never
be able to add to that list ever again. I first met Rich at my
first-of-many Interlac collations. Over the years we went to many,
many conventions together from San Diego to Boston to New York. I'll
always remember the time we took E. Nelson Bridwell to Radio City
Music Hall to see the premiere of RETURN TO OZ. Afterwards, Nelson
invited us back to his apartment in the East Village, a place that
rivaled only Rich's house for it's mountains of fan materials.
Whenever there was a good art exhibit up in Boston, I'd give Rich call
and he'd pick up tickets so that a group of us could go. When there
was a dog show in the NYC area, he and Gail would often come down to
stay the weekend at my place in Connecticut.
The funny stories about Rich are innumerable but one will always
stay with me. We had all gone up to Rutland, VT for their annual
superheroes Halloween Parade. It was a freezing night but Rich had
decided to dress up as The Spectre....complete with green shorts,
white-body paint, a cape, and almost nothing else. We were a bit
worried about how he would survive hours in the cold with so little
on. But he assurred us that it would be no problem since, as he told
us, "I'm not cold, I'm dead". How ironic in retrospect.

Paul Zuckerman

Jun 4, 2001, 11:19:54 PM6/4/01
I never met Rich Morrissey, but his name has been familar to me since the
60s, when he used to write all those letters, and later through Batmania and
other fanzines. So, it was a shock to get this weeks Buyer's Guide to find
out that he died. And, since he was only a year and some months younger than
me, I guess it is even more of a shock to find another contemporary of mine
dying-way to young.