X-Men religious affiliations

Chris Dodson

Jun 2, 2002, 12:38:52 AM6/2/02
I'm looking for information on the religious beliefs of all the
current X-Men for a story I'm submitting to Marvel. The only one I
know for sure is Nightcrawler (Catholic). I get the impression that
Wolverine is an atheist or agnostic, but I have no in-comic evidence
to support this. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly
appreciated. Also, in your responses, could you provide titles and
issue numbers of the comics in which the information is stated?
Thanks.

Tom Warren

Jun 2, 2002, 12:49:31 AM6/2/02
I believe that Kitty Pride is jewish. The issue where they fight Dracula had
a bit about this in there. And Wolvie is atheist probably, or some pagan
type.

Tom

"Chris Dodson" <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

HBWolf21

Jun 2, 2002, 12:52:05 AM6/2/02
Let's see...I think Sam Guthrie is Baptist ( I think) and Rahne Sinclair is
supposed to be Protestant...those are the only ones I can think of off the top
of my head.

Joey

Mike Kantor

Jun 2, 2002, 2:38:31 AM6/2/02
Cable is Askani!
Storm believes in the "Bright Lady", not sure was that is...
I think Thor is obvious, but he isn't part of the X-Men

LoL! Religion is such a sack of crap.

Nichol

Jun 2, 2002, 5:58:30 AM6/2/02
I seem to recall an issue where Wolverine and Kitty were fighting
vampires. She fended them off using her Star of David, but Wolverine
made a cross with his claws and had vampires all over him. The point
was that a wearer's faith in a religious artifact protected them, not
the artifact itself. Wolverine had no faith in the cross, so therefore
it did nothing. That seems to be a clear hint that he's atheist,
agnostic, or something else besides Christian.

.:Nichol:.

Brian Caffrey

Jun 2, 2002, 7:21:11 AM6/2/02
Gambit is a lapsed Catholic, if his second mini-series was any indication.

Brian
--
monkey monkey monkey monkey
www.misterridiculous.com | www.studentpages.com

Brian Doyle

Jun 2, 2002, 11:28:49 AM6/2/02

"Chris Dodson" <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Nightcrawler - Catholic
Shadowcat - Jewish
Magma - Worshipped the Roman pantheon when she thought she was a Nova Romani
Wolfsbane - A rather strict form of Protestant, not Wee Free, but heading that way.
Storm - Some sort of female nature divinity
Cannonball - Baptist
Colossus - As a good member of the USSR, probably agnostic.
Rogue and Wolverine - Both were shown praying in the X-Men cartoon, but in a fairly
non-demoninational way. It was in a Christian church.

mi me conmigo@hotmail.com Kenneth

Jun 2, 2002, 2:59:26 PM6/2/02
Nope... Rahne Sinclair is a Catholic, with a capital C. She's alway been.
I can onlu think of one reference, but there're plenty:
X-Men 108: Rogue says something like "Since you're the catholic in this
group, why don't you take care of the prayers?" and Rahne replies "I've been
doing so since we took off"
The dialogue is translated from my book, which is in spanish, so maybe those
were not the exact words, but it's there.

Kitty Pride is, of course, Jewish. Nightcrawler is a catholic. And...
well I cannot think of anyone more.

Oh! Storm belongs to a minorist cult of some sort, probably from Africa.
(Someone called Light Lady? sometimes the translations are quite vague).
Danielle Moonstar should belong to an animist american belief, and so does
Proudstar.
And maybe you should review the marriage of Cyclops & Phoenix, and look at
the priest marrying them... I just don't know where that one is.
Cable is Askani, and should not count as standard religion (I don't really
think that there are Askanians among us ;-))

And I guess that Magneto was a Jew, but I'm not so sure about that.

I can only recall Storm being abducted by "the Godess" in the "Infinity
Crusade", but maybe there were more X-men there, and that would mean they
had a religious feeling at all.

That's it. Again, sorry about mu poor English.

Jaime Įlvarez
Madrid, Spain

"HBWolf21" <hbwo...@aol.com> escribió en el mensaje

mi me conmigo@hotmail.com Kenneth

Jun 2, 2002, 3:23:23 PM6/2/02
Well, you guys seem to be pretty sure about Rahne Sinclair being Protestant,
so I guess it's been a misunderstanding in the spanish translations.

If she's protestant, and you're sure, with references, please post it, and I
will re-route it to the translator here in Spain. Sorry if my post was
inaccurate.

Jaime
Spain

"Kenneth" <yo mi me con...@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje

> Jaime Álvarez

Brian Doyle

Jun 2, 2002, 3:53:18 PM6/2/02

"Kenneth" <yo mi me con...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Well, you guys seem to be pretty sure about Rahne Sinclair being Protestant,
> so I guess it's been a misunderstanding in the spanish translations.
>
> If she's protestant, and you're sure, with references, please post it, and I
> will re-route it to the translator here in Spain. Sorry if my post was
> inaccurate.

She makes references to the "Reverend Craig" being her guardian. The Catholic church
does not refer to a priest as Reverend, the Protestant church does.

She has also referred to Craig as being a "Minister", which, again, a Protestant
term, not Catholic.

See the issue of Excalibur that Warren Ellis wrote where Rhane confronts Craig.

Justin Samuels

Jun 2, 2002, 6:12:57 PM6/2/02

"Brian Doyle" <brian...@afdigest.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Chris Dodson" <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm looking for information on the religious beliefs of all the
> > current X-Men for a story I'm submitting to Marvel. The only one I
> > know for sure is Nightcrawler (Catholic). I get the impression that
> > Wolverine is an atheist or agnostic, but I have no in-comic evidence
> > to support this. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly
> > appreciated. Also, in your responses, could you provide titles and
> > issue numbers of the comics in which the information is stated?
>
> Nightcrawler - Catholic
> Shadowcat - Jewish
> Magma - Worshipped the Roman pantheon when she thought she was a Nova
Romani
> Wolfsbane - A rather strict form of Protestant, not Wee Free, but heading
that way.

> Storm - Some sort of female nature divinity

Which is stupid, no such religion exist in Africa. And while you do have
animist religions in Africa, the largest religion is Islam. Number 2 would
be Christianity. Number 3 would be various animist religions, grouped
together.

> Cannonball - Baptist
> Colossus - As a good member of the USSR, probably agnostic.

The USSR fell long after Colossus's death ,and it never wiped out all
religion. In AOA Colossus was refered to as Russian Orthodox Christian.

> Rogue and Wolverine - Both were shown praying in the X-Men cartoon, but in
a fairly
> non-demoninational way. It was in a Christian church.

Sunspot is Catholic.
Iceman is probably Protestant.

Brian Doyle

Jun 2, 2002, 7:27:23 PM6/2/02

"Justin Samuels" <som...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Brian Doyle" <brian...@afdigest.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Storm - Some sort of female nature divinity

> Which is stupid, no such religion exist in Africa. And while you do have
> animist religions in Africa, the largest religion is Islam. Number 2 would
> be Christianity. Number 3 would be various animist religions, grouped
> together.

Storm is only half African, her father was American, and as someone who was, for some
considerable time, worshipped as a deity herself, I'm prepared to believe her
religious views are not the norm. BAsically I'd say she's a Gaia-ist. She reveres
nature in all it's forms and perceives it as embodied in a female presence akin to
the Western view of "Mother Nature".

> > Cannonball - Baptist
> > Colossus - As a good member of the USSR, probably agnostic.
>
> The USSR fell long after Colossus's death ,

Ummm... Huh? Colossus died last year. The UUSR fell long BEFORE his death, but was
still active when he was recruited (I know, shifting the timeline to play catchup
with real events now makes that unlikely, but we play the hand we're dealt)

> and it never wiped out all religion.

No, but Piotr was shown as being a good communist working down on the collective,
and, in order to remain a good communist, would probably not have been raised with
much of a religious background.

Certainly he was never (in any title I read) heard to utter an oath involving a
deity, which most others would or did. "By the White Wolf" is a cultural reference I
never did work out, but I'm guessing it's not religious.

>In AOA Colossus was refered to as Russian Orthodox Christian.

AoA can hardly be viewed as being the mainstream.

> Sunspot is Catholic.

Forgot about him!

Dan

Jun 3, 2002, 12:26:00 AM6/3/02
>Subject: X-Men religious affiliations
>From: chris...@yahoo.com (Chris Dodson)
>Date: 6/2/02 12:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Storm worships some nameless goddess. Cannonball is a Christian denomination.
Shadowcat is Jewish. Not sure about the rest. Most writers take it for
granted that a) characters believe in a god and b) that they're
Judeo-Christian.
Dan
aa #1617
apatriot #14
2nd Class Citizen

Dan

Jun 3, 2002, 12:27:04 AM6/3/02
>Subject: Re: X-Men religious affiliations
>From: hbwo...@aol.com (HBWolf21)
>Date: 6/2/02 12:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Dani Moonstar worships the Great Spirit, though I'm not sure how that conflicts
with being an Asgardian goddess.

BlakGard

Jun 3, 2002, 4:53:26 AM6/3/02
"Brian Doyle" <brian...@afdigest.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

True enough, although just because Craig was a Protestant does not mean
Rahne is. I believe she was shown praying at a Catholic church in one of the
early New Mutants issues.

mi me conmigo@hotmail.com Kenneth

Jun 3, 2002, 8:19:37 AM6/3/02
"Dan" <dannyb...@aol.comnospam> escribió en el mensaje

I thought about it yesterday as I posted. I really think Moonstar did not
truely worship the Asgard Pantheon. She was turned into a valkyrie, but she
didn't actually worship Odin. Gee, it's difficult to describe her believes,
because normally people belong to a religion for a matter of faith, which is
unnecesary when you know for sure that Supreme Being is indeed real. Well,
I don't know...

The Question

Jun 3, 2002, 8:17:32 AM6/3/02

Forge follows some form of shamanistic tradition I believe.

I don't think there's any definite statement about Gateway, but it could be
easily assumed he essentially believes in the Dreamtime (if you care to
make broad generalisations based on faith and race, which we know Marvel
would never do).

Sabra would be Jewish

I don't think there are any followers of Buddist, Islamic or Shinto
traditions

--
Jon
-----

mi me conmigo@hotmail.com Kenneth

Jun 3, 2002, 9:42:07 AM6/3/02

"The Question" <ques...@spin.net.au> escribió en el mensaje
Yes, of course! I forgot about Forge. And Thunderbird (Neil Shaara) was
hindu, wasn't he?

And my guess is that "Skin" (Angelo Espinosa) is a catholic too, but that is
just a guess.

Patrick McClue

Jun 3, 2002, 11:52:48 AM6/3/02

"The Question" <ques...@spin.net.au> wrote in message

> Chris Dodson wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for information on the religious beliefs of all the
> > current X-Men for a story I'm submitting to Marvel. The only one I
> > know for sure is Nightcrawler (Catholic). I get the impression that
> > Wolverine is an atheist or agnostic, but I have no in-comic evidence
> > to support this. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly
> > appreciated. Also, in your responses, could you provide titles and
> > issue numbers of the comics in which the information is stated?
> > Thanks.
>
> Forge follows some form of shamanistic tradition I believe.
>
> I don't think there's any definite statement about Gateway, but it could
be
> easily assumed he essentially believes in the Dreamtime (if you care to
> make broad generalisations based on faith and race, which we know Marvel
> would never do).

And now that we know that Gateway is Bishop's grandfather, maybe Bishop will
follow that path.

> Sabra would be Jewish

Sabra was an X-Man?

> I don't think there are any followers of Buddist, Islamic or Shinto
> traditions

Sunfire might be Buddist/Shintoist and M might be Muslim.

Patrick

Sequoia Swennes

Jun 3, 2002, 12:40:48 PM6/3/02

BlakGard <blak...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

New Mutants #12, page 11:

{Caption} Nearby, Rahne Sinclair steps hesitantly - almost fearfully - into
a church...
{Rahne's thought bubbles} "If Reverend Craig saw me now, he'd have a fit.
To him, Catholics are agents of the devil. But we all believe in God, an'
read the same bible - an' I can find no Scots Presbyterian cairk in the
city - an' I so need to pray. Surely, the Lord won't mind which house I
pray in, so long as it's to him."

Jim Longo

Jun 3, 2002, 1:09:07 PM6/3/02
chris...@yahoo.com (Chris Dodson) wrote in message news:<1134e555.02060...@posting.google.com>...

> I'm looking for information on the religious beliefs of all the
> current X-Men for a story I'm submitting to Marvel. The only one I
> know for sure is Nightcrawler (Catholic). I get the impression that
> Wolverine is an atheist or agnostic, but I have no in-comic evidence
> to support this.

When the X-Men were kidnapped by the Brood, Wolverine came upon
Nightcrawler praying. During the resultant conversation, Wolvie
asserted that tried religion once, that it was a mistake, and that he
now believes only in what his senses tell him.

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly
> appreciated. Also, in your responses, could you provide titles and
> issue numbers of the comics in which the information is stated?
> Thanks.

As has been stated, Kitty Pryde is Jewish, and there's an ongoing
debate about whether Magneto was, but he has stated that as a boy, he
"turned his back on God forever."

Karma, I think, was a converted Catholic.

j.

Jim Longo

Jun 3, 2002, 1:09:21 PM6/3/02
chris...@yahoo.com (Chris Dodson) wrote in message news:<1134e555.02060...@posting.google.com>...
> I'm looking for information on the religious beliefs of all the
> current X-Men for a story I'm submitting to Marvel. The only one I
> know for sure is Nightcrawler (Catholic). I get the impression that
> Wolverine is an atheist or agnostic, but I have no in-comic evidence
> to support this.

When the X-Men were kidnapped by the Brood, Wolverine came upon

Nightcrawler praying. During the resultant conversation, Wolvie
asserted that tried religion once, that it was a mistake, and that he
now believes only in what his senses tell him.

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly

> appreciated. Also, in your responses, could you provide titles and
> issue numbers of the comics in which the information is stated?
> Thanks.

As has been stated, Kitty Pryde is Jewish, and there's an ongoing

Consul de Designers

Jun 3, 2002, 1:41:08 PM6/3/02
Patrick McClue wrote:
> > I don't think there are any followers of Buddist, Islamic or Shinto traditions
> Sunfire might be Buddist/Shintoist and M might be Muslim.

Morocco's highest represented religion is Islam.
--
" ... I will find you a place to live, give you all I have to give ... "
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~jamesony/d_extra/WhenWeDance.mp3

Dan

Jun 3, 2002, 1:48:09 PM6/3/02
>Subject: Re: X-Men religious affiliations
>From: "BlakGard" blak...@cfl.rr.com
>Date: 6/3/02 4:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time

>True enough, although just because Craig was a Protestant does not mean
>Rahne is. I believe she was shown praying at a Catholic church in one of the
>early New Mutants issues.

Probably just because it was available. Since Craig raised Rahne from birth it
seems unlikely that she has a different religion.

mi me conmigo@hotmail.com Kenneth

Jun 3, 2002, 1:53:28 PM6/3/02
Thanks... that should clear it all. Now... I'd like to know something...
Could anybody post the exact words Rogue says to Rahne in X-Men #108
(Jan/2001), page 5, asking her to pray?

The missundestood came up because in the spanish translation, she says
something like "Since you're the catholic in this group..." and I'd like to
know if it's a translation mistake, or it was just like that in the
original.

I know... you probably don't care about that, after all, you read your
comic-books in english, but some of us don't have that chance, and have to
put up with poor translations. I just want to know who is to blame ;-)

Thanks for your patience.
Jaime

Dan

Jun 3, 2002, 1:55:14 PM6/3/02
>Subject: Re: X-Men religious affiliations
>From: "Kenneth" yomi me con...@hotmail.com
>Date: 6/3/02 8:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time

>I thought about it yesterday as I posted. I really think Moonstar did not
>truely worship the Asgard Pantheon. She was turned into a valkyrie, but she
>didn't actually worship Odin.

No, I wasn't implying she did. I simply said she was one of them. I would
think it would be a conflict to _be_ a god when you felt the one you worshipped
was the only "real" one.

Gee, it's difficult to describe her believes,
>because normally people belong to a religion for a matter of faith, which is
>unnecesary when you know for sure that Supreme Being is indeed real. Well,
>I don't know...

Dani doesn't know any supreme being is real. She knows gods exist and none
shown are supreme.

Justin Samuels

Jun 3, 2002, 2:18:02 PM6/3/02

"Dan" <dannyb...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

In Marvel, the force the Living Tribunal Represents is the surpreme
being/God.

Brian Doyle

Jun 3, 2002, 2:19:36 PM6/3/02

"Sequoia Swennes" <ath...@easy-pages.com> wrote in message

> New Mutants #12, page 11:
>
> {Caption} Nearby, Rahne Sinclair steps hesitantly - almost fearfully - into a
church...
> {Rahne's thought bubbles} "If Reverend Craig saw me now, he'd have a fit.
> To him, Catholics are agents of the devil. But we all believe in God, an'
> read the same bible - an' I can find no Scots Presbyterian cairk in the
> city - an' I so need to pray. Surely, the Lord won't mind which house I
> pray in, so long as it's to him."

Aha, so she IS Presbyterian. Thanks!

Brian Doyle

Jun 3, 2002, 2:21:19 PM6/3/02

> I thought about it yesterday as I posted. I really think Moonstar did not
> truely worship the Asgard Pantheon. She was turned into a valkyrie, but she
> didn't actually worship Odin. Gee, it's difficult to describe her believes,
> because normally people belong to a religion for a matter of faith, which is
> unnecesary when you know for sure that Supreme Being is indeed real. Well,
> I don't know...

There was an interesting issue where Magma and Empath discuss faith, Magma has MET
Hercules so knows her Pantheon to be real, whereas Empath, a Catholic (in name if not
in deed) has never met his deity, so they ponder which is the stronger faith....

Justin Samuels

Jun 3, 2002, 2:30:30 PM6/3/02

> "Justin Samuels" <som...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Brian Doyle" <brian...@afdigest.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > > Storm - Some sort of female nature divinity
> >
> > Which is stupid, no such religion exist in Africa. And while you do have
> > animist religions in Africa, the largest religion is Islam. Number 2
would
> > be Christianity. Number 3 would be various animist religions, grouped
> > together.
>
> Storm is only half African, her father was American, and as someone who
was, for some
> considerable time, worshipped as a deity herself, I'm prepared to believe
her
> religious views are not the norm. BAsically I'd say she's a Gaia-ist. She
reveres
> nature in all it's forms and perceives it as embodied in a female presence
akin to
> the Western view of "Mother Nature".\

Storm was raised in Egypt, moved southward through the Sudan, and spent time
in Kenya. The Egypt and the Sudan are Muslim, with Christianian minorities.
Kenya is more Christian, but with a substantial Muslim population. African
Americans are Christian mostly.

So her father could have no influence on Storm's decision to worship this
nameless Goddess. Actually, the cartoons and the movies have made no
mention of this "Goddess' and I notice lately in X-Treme X-Men neither has
Storm. So I would say have dropped that religion from her.

> > > Cannonball - Baptist
> > > Colossus - As a good member of the USSR, probably agnostic.
> >
> > The USSR fell long after Colossus's death ,
>
> Ummm... Huh? Colossus died last year. The UUSR fell long BEFORE his death,
but was
> still active when he was recruited (I know, shifting the timeline to play
catchup
> with real events now makes that unlikely, but we play the hand we're
dealt)

I meant the USSR fell long before Colossus's death.

> > and it never wiped out all religion.
>
> No, but Piotr was shown as being a good communist working down on the
collective,
> and, in order to remain a good communist, would probably not have been
raised with
> much of a religious background.

The Russian Orthodox church remained fairly strong under communism ane came
back with a vengegance after the fall.

> Certainly he was never (in any title I read) heard to utter an oath
involving a
> deity, which most others would or did. "By the White Wolf" is a cultural
reference I
> never did work out, but I'm guessing it's not religious.
>
> >In AOA Colossus was refered to as Russian Orthodox Christian.
>
> AoA can hardly be viewed as being the mainstream.

No, but it meant the writers keeping up with the times. After the collapse
of the Soviet Union, people in the former Soviet Union found their old
religions ,Christianity, Islam,and Judaism.

> > Sunspot is Catholic.
>
> Forgot about him!

Why?

Justin Samuels

Jun 3, 2002, 2:31:46 PM6/3/02

"Consul de Designers" <xdedes...@dolphins-cove.com> wrote in message

> Patrick McClue wrote:
> > > I don't think there are any followers of Buddist, Islamic or Shinto
traditions
> > Sunfire might be Buddist/Shintoist and M might be Muslim.
>
> Morocco's highest represented religion is Islam.

M is Algerian not Moroccan, but still, all North Africa is predominately
Muslim. So most likely she is Muslim.

Justin Samuels

Jun 3, 2002, 2:33:31 PM6/3/02

> >Subject: X-Men religious affiliations
> >From: chris...@yahoo.com (Chris Dodson)
> >Date: 6/2/02 12:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time
> >
> >I'm looking for information on the religious beliefs of all the
> >current X-Men for a story I'm submitting to Marvel. The only one I
> >know for sure is Nightcrawler (Catholic). I get the impression that
> >Wolverine is an atheist or agnostic, but I have no in-comic evidence
> >to support this. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly
> >appreciated. Also, in your responses, could you provide titles and
> >issue numbers of the comics in which the information is stated?
>
> Storm worships some nameless goddess.

Not any more, they've dropped all references about this ot her character .
Read XX lately.

Cannonball is a Christian denomination.
> Shadowcat is Jewish. Not sure about the rest. Most writers take it for
> granted that a) characters believe in a god and b) that they're
> Judeo-Christian.

Their are major thematic differences between Judaism and Christianity, so I
would not say assume one is Judeo-Christian.

Christian Henriksson

Jun 3, 2002, 3:06:17 PM6/3/02
Lo and behold, on Mon, 3 Jun 2002 19:53:28 +0200 "Kenneth" <yo mi me
con...@hotmail.com> sayeth thus:

>Thanks... that should clear it all. Now... I'd like to know something...
>Could anybody post the exact words Rogue says to Rahne in X-Men #108
>(Jan/2001), page 5, asking her to pray?
>
>The missundestood came up because in the spanish translation, she says
>something like "Since you're the catholic in this group..." and I'd like to
>know if it's a translation mistake, or it was just like that in the
>original.
>
>I know... you probably don't care about that, after all, you read your
>comic-books in english, but some of us don't have that chance, and have to
>put up with poor translations. I just want to know who is to blame ;-)

What Rogue says in English is: "Bein' our resident church-girl, why
don't you handle prayers?"

Christian Henriksson
(che...@tiscali.se)
--
"The big danger isn't the evil of evil people;
it's the silence of good people."

CleV

Jun 3, 2002, 3:13:06 PM6/3/02
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 00:52:48 +0900, "Patrick McClue"
<mcc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"The Question" <ques...@spin.net.au> wrote in message

>> I don't think there are any followers of Buddist, Islamic or Shinto
>> traditions

>Sunfire might be Buddist/Shintoist and M might be Muslim.

Mariko uttered "Amaterasu preserve us!" in her very first appearance -
she must have been shinto.

Adam T. Reid

Jun 3, 2002, 4:07:24 PM6/3/02
<<
I don't think there are any followers of Buddist, Islamic or Shinto
traditions

Unless you count, of course the Japanese characters (Sunfire Sunpyre, Silver
Samurai, Matsu'o, Revanche, Mariko, etc.) that pop up every once and awhile.
Japanese generally practice Buddhist or Shinto beliefs, sometimes both.
I can only say for certain that the Yoshidas practiced Shinto traditions,
notably at M'iko and Logan's aborted wedding back in the UXM # 170's.

"We are in a race between education and Catastrophe"

CleV

Jun 3, 2002, 4:44:49 PM6/3/02
><<
>I don't think there are any followers of Buddist, Islamic or Shinto
>traditions

Jetstream was an arab, so has a high likelihood of being muslim.

Brian Doyle

Jun 3, 2002, 4:59:23 PM6/3/02

> In Marvel, the force the Living Tribunal Represents is the surpreme
> being/God.

Except that no one I have ever read of worships it. It acknowledges that it's power
is only over this Multiverse. Quasar has seen the Omniverse, where I assume it has no
power.

Brian Doyle

Jun 3, 2002, 5:03:58 PM6/3/02

> "Brian Doyle" <brian...@afdigest.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Storm is only half African, her father was American, and as someone who was, for
some
> > considerable time, worshipped as a deity herself, I'm prepared to believe her
> > religious views are not the norm. BAsically I'd say she's a Gaia-ist. She reveres
> > nature in all it's forms and perceives it as embodied in a female presence akin
> > the Western view of "Mother Nature".\
>
> Storm was raised in Egypt, moved southward through the Sudan, and spent time
> in Kenya. The Egypt and the Sudan are Muslim, with Christianian minorities.
> Kenya is more Christian, but with a substantial Muslim population. African
> Americans are Christian mostly.
>
> So her father could have no influence on Storm's decision to worship this
> nameless Goddess.

Why not? He was still her father, regardless of the prevailing religion of the region
she was in. She certainly has never displayed any traits of any major organised
religion except the previously mentioned gaia-ism / animism.

>Actually, the cartoons and the movies have made no mention of this "Goddess'

Not relevant to the comics incarnation.

> and I notice lately in X-Treme X-Men neither has
> Storm. So I would say have dropped that religion from her.

She is still linked to the biosphere of the planet, which makes her sensitive to
natural occurences. I'd assume she still has her nature based beliefs, but just
doesnt mention it any more.

> > > Sunspot is Catholic.
> >
> > Forgot about him!
>
> Why?

Simple, I never liked him, so I don't spend much time thinking about him. :)

Nichol

Jun 3, 2002, 6:40:24 PM6/3/02
The Question <ques...@spin.net.au> wrote in message news:<3CFB5E5C...@spin.net.au>...
> I don't think there are any followers of Buddist, Islamic or Shinto
> traditions

I don't recall Jubilee's religious affiliation ever being stated;
she's ethnically Chinese, and could be Christian, atheist, or
Buddhist. Would depend on how long her family's been in America, I
suppose.

.:Nichol:.

Dan

Jun 3, 2002, 9:30:06 PM6/3/02
>Subject: Re: X-Men religious affiliations
>From: "Justin Samuels" som...@hotmail.com
>Date: 6/3/02 2:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>In Marvel, the force the Living Tribunal Represents is the surpreme
>being/God.

Possibly, but there's no significant proof of that. Besides, Dani doesn't know
that being.

Prestorjon

Jun 4, 2002, 9:57:39 PM6/4/02
<<I'm looking for information on the religious beliefs of all the
current X-Men for a story I'm submitting to Marvel. The only one I
know for sure is Nightcrawler (Catholic).>>

Nightcrawler is Catholic. Kitty Pryde is Jewish. Wolverines is probably
aetheistic/agnostic. Storm is apparently an animist or polytheist of some
sort. Thunderbird would appear to be a Hindu (I don't think they've been
specific but he's not a Sikh or a Jain and I'm pretty sure he's not a MUslim.
He might be a Catholic.) As for the other's I don't know. Since most are from
America or other European countries they're probably at least nominally
Christian. Angel, being a good WASP, is probably an Episcopalian. Chamber is
probably C of E. Rogue could be anything, maybe Baptist.

-----------------
He had been our Destroyer, the doer of things
We dreamed of doing but could not bring ourselves to do,
The fears of years, like a biting whip,
Had cut deep bloody grooves
Across our backs.
-Etheridge Knight

Prestorjon

Jun 4, 2002, 10:01:59 PM6/4/02
<<Danielle Moonstar should belong to an animist american belief, and so does
Proudstar>>

Do we know that? Quite a few American Indians are Christians.

>And I guess that Magneto was a Jew, but I'm not so sure about that.

Not to provoke another argument about this but yeah he is a Jew although it
would appear that he's not a practicing one.

Prestorjon

Jun 4, 2002, 10:05:12 PM6/4/02
<<Dani Moonstar worships the Great Spirit, though I'm not sure how that
conflicts
with being an Asgardian goddess.>>

Probably not at all. In general polytheists are less fussy about this sort of
thing. Since they've got several gods instead of just one exclusive one it
usually doesn't matter much if someone worships a new god because they're just
one more god among many.

Prestorjon

Jun 4, 2002, 10:08:05 PM6/4/02
<<I seem to recall an issue where Wolverine and Kitty were fighting
vampires. She fended them off using her Star of David, but Wolverine
made a cross with his claws and had vampires all over him. The point
was that a wearer's faith in a religious artifact protected them, not
the artifact itself. Wolverine had no faith in the cross, so therefore
it did nothing. That seems to be a clear hint that he's atheist,
agnostic, or something else besides Christian.>>

If we're thinking of the same issue, the one where Dracula goes after Storm
(which oddly enough I first saw in a Dutch version), then what happened was
that Kitty actually went after Dracula with a cross and he simply batted it
away and grabbed her by the neck at which point he burned himself on her star
of david.

Prestorjon

Jun 4, 2002, 10:13:28 PM6/4/02
<<I don't think there are any followers of Buddist, Islamic or Shinto
traditions>>

For Shinto Sunfire possibly? For Buddhist Karma? No Islamic mutants that I'm
aware of (perhaps the Shadow King) but Arabian Knight was a Muslim hero.

Dan

Jun 4, 2002, 11:18:38 PM6/4/02
>Subject: Re: X-Men religious affiliations
>From: prest...@aol.com (Prestorjon)
>Date: 6/4/02 10:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time

><<I don't think there are any followers of Buddist, Islamic or Shinto
>traditions>>
>
>For Shinto Sunfire possibly? For Buddhist Karma? No Islamic mutants that
>I'm
>aware of (perhaps the Shadow King) but Arabian Knight was a Muslim hero.

Karma's Christian, possibly Catholic. I seem to recall that it was these
beliefs that led her to leave her younger siblings in the care of Father
Michael Bowen (Nightcrawler's priest and Dagger's uncle).

BlakGard

Jun 5, 2002, 6:21:10 AM6/5/02
"Prestorjon" <prest...@aol.com> wrote in message

> <<Danielle Moonstar should belong to an animist american belief, and so
does
> Proudstar>>
>
> Do we know that? Quite a few American Indians are Christians.

I agree that it's difficult to assume. There's a preponderance of Native
American faiths that combine traditional spirituality with Christianity,
blurring the lines quite a bit.

CleV

Jun 5, 2002, 5:06:00 PM6/5/02
On 05 Jun 2002 02:05:12 GMT, prest...@aol.com (Prestorjon) wrote:

><<Dani Moonstar worships the Great Spirit, though I'm not sure how that
>conflicts
>with being an Asgardian goddess.>>
>
>Probably not at all. In general polytheists are less fussy about this sort of
>thing. Since they've got several gods instead of just one exclusive one it
>usually doesn't matter much if someone worships a new god because they're just
>one more god among many.

Sure, it's only the people of the book (muslims, christians, jews) who
have a "jealous" god.

Brian Doyle

Jun 5, 2002, 5:30:55 PM6/5/02

"CleV" <CL...@balJUNKcab.ch> wrote in message news:3cfe7d3...@news.balcab.ch...

Tell that to half the cast of Greek and/or Roman mythology where the Gods are a VERY
possessive bunch who exact vengeance on anyone and anything that pisses them off even
slightly.... Consider Arachnae who was driven to the point of suicide or even the
demi-god Hercules, who was driven mad.

The Norse Gods don't seem much better, with Loki being a not very pleasant sort to
anyone.

CleV

Jun 5, 2002, 6:53:07 PM6/5/02

Sorry, I meant "jealous" in the sense of not accepting any other gods
but themselves, nothing to do with jealousy.

Brian Doyle

Jun 5, 2002, 7:48:49 PM6/5/02

"CleV" <CL...@balJUNKcab.ch> wrote in message news:3cfe962c...@news.balcab.ch...

Well, I was kind of meaning that too. Hera and Zeus, IIRC, were particularly prone to
being annoyed when people worshipped pther members of the same pantheon...

Ahhh, the Greek myths, soap opera for the BC era!

Prestorjon

Jun 5, 2002, 11:40:20 PM6/5/02
<<Tell that to half the cast of Greek and/or Roman mythology where the Gods are
a VERY
possessive bunch who exact vengeance on anyone and anything that pisses them
off even
slightly.... Consider Arachnae who was driven to the point of suicide or even
the
demi-god Hercules, who was driven mad.

The Norse Gods don't seem much better, with Loki being a not very pleasant sort
anyone.>>

The Greek and Norse gods were a jealous vindictive bunch of so and so's who
were always trying to put one over on each other but the religion recognized
that all of these beings were gods and was fairly free with regard to worship
of other gods. The Romans for example didn't have any problem per se with
Christians worshipiung Jehovah. What they had a problem with was the
millenlial/anti-governmental aspects of early christianity as well as the
Christians failure to pay the Emperor the proper reverence due him.

Menshevik

Jun 6, 2002, 4:12:52 AM6/6/02
> Thunderbird would appear to be a Hindu (I don't think they've been
>specific but he's not a Sikh or a Jain and I'm pretty sure he's not a MUslim.

He made a few Hindu-type exclamations in XXM, e.g. after
Psylocke's death.

>probably C of E. Rogue could be anything, maybe Baptist.

Way back during Secret Wars II (UXM #203) she said something
like "If I believed in God I'd ask for forgiveness."

Tilman

"Who wants to read something about this subject will find it in a book, the
title of which I've forgotten. But it's the 42nd chapter."
Professor Johann Georg August Galletti (1750-1828)

Menshevik

Jun 6, 2002, 4:15:37 AM6/6/02
>Unless you count, of course the Japanese characters (Sunfire Sunpyre, Silver
>Samurai, Matsu'o, Revanche, Mariko, etc.) that pop up every once and awhile.
>Japanese generally practice Buddhist or Shinto beliefs, sometimes both.
>I can only say for certain that the Yoshidas practiced Shinto traditions,
>notably at M'iko and Logan's aborted wedding back in the UXM # 170's.

And in #173 we also see that there is a giant Buddha statue
in the garden of the Yashida ancestral seat.

Menshevik

Jun 6, 2002, 4:17:32 AM6/6/02
>> > Sunfire might be Buddist/Shintoist and M might be Muslim.
>>
>> Morocco's highest represented religion is Islam.
>
>M is Algerian not Moroccan, but still, all North Africa is predominately
>Muslim. So most likely she is Muslim.

With the very Catholic-sounding family name Saint-Croix
(Holy Cross) I find that rather unlikely. Had she converted
to Islam, she would presumably have changed that.

Menshevik

Jun 6, 2002, 4:18:44 AM6/6/02
>> Forge follows some form of shamanistic tradition I believe.

IIRC, he somewhat unsuccessfully tries NOT to follow it ;-)

Brian Doyle

Jun 6, 2002, 5:08:19 AM6/6/02

> The Greek and Norse gods were a jealous vindictive bunch of so and so's
who
> were always trying to put one over on each other but the religion
recognized
> that all of these beings were gods and was fairly free with regard to
worship
> of other gods. The Romans for example didn't have any problem per se with
> Christians worshipiung Jehovah. What they had a problem with was the
> millenlial/anti-governmental aspects of early christianity as well as the
> Christians failure to pay the Emperor the proper reverence due him.

I see what you mean... I am, however, genuinely curious as to what do you
mean by "millenial" in this context?

Michael W Crichton

Jun 6, 2002, 4:07:08 PM6/6/02

Justin Samuels wrote in message ...

>"Brian Doyle" <brian...@afdigest.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Chris Dodson" <chris...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > I'm looking for information on the religious beliefs of all the
>> > current X-Men for a story I'm submitting to Marvel. The only one I
>> > know for sure is Nightcrawler (Catholic). I get the impression that
>> > Wolverine is an atheist or agnostic, but I have no in-comic evidence
>> > to support this. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly
>> > appreciated. Also, in your responses, could you provide titles and
>> > issue numbers of the comics in which the information is stated?
>>
>> Nightcrawler - Catholic
>> Shadowcat - Jewish
>> Magma - Worshipped the Roman pantheon when she thought she was a Nova
>Romani
>> Wolfsbane - A rather strict form of Protestant, not Wee Free, but heading
>that way.
>
>> Storm - Some sort of female nature divinity
>
>Which is stupid, no such religion exist in Africa.

Are you really suggesting that out of the hundreds of animistic/pagan
religions in Africa, NOT ONE has any sort of nature goddess? Upon what are
you basing this ridiculous assertion?

Christian Henriksson

Jun 6, 2002, 3:55:01 PM6/6/02
Lo and behold, on 06 Jun 2002 03:40:20 GMT prest...@aol.com
(Prestorjon) sayeth thus:

><<Tell that to half the cast of Greek and/or Roman mythology where the Gods are
>a VERY
>possessive bunch who exact vengeance on anyone and anything that pisses them
>off even
>slightly.... Consider Arachnae who was driven to the point of suicide or even
>the
>demi-god Hercules, who was driven mad.
>
>The Norse Gods don't seem much better, with Loki being a not very pleasant sort
>anyone.>>
>
>The Greek and Norse gods were a jealous vindictive bunch of so and so's who
>were always trying to put one over on each other

The Norse gods? Really? Could you name an example of this outside of
Loki, who wasn't a god?

Christian Henriksson
(che...@tiscali.se)
--
"The big danger isn't the evil of evil people;
it's the silence of good people."

Brian Doyle

Jun 6, 2002, 5:04:00 PM6/6/02

"Christian Henriksson" <che...@tiscali.se> wrote in message

> The Norse gods? Really? Could you name an example of this outside of
> Loki, who wasn't a god?

I'd say that any theological concept who can come up with Ragnarok as an end of the
world scenario are not exactly the most easygoing guys in the cosmos. :)

Justin Samuels

Jun 6, 2002, 8:40:07 PM6/6/02

"Brian Doyle" <brian...@afdigest.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
We have never seen the power the Living Tribunal Represents, but during the
Infinity Crusade the other cosmic beings claimed that it(the force the
Tribunal Represents) is surpreme.

The writers probably got the idea to give the Tribunal three faces from the
Holy Trinity.

Justin Samuels

Jun 6, 2002, 9:58:56 PM6/6/02

"Brian Doyle" <brian...@afdigest.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Read upon the Yoruba Gods, who are just as possessive. This religion
orginated in Nigeria, but is practiced in South America and the Caribbean.

Anyone who loves Greek Mythology will love this.

Oya is a particular goddess from this pantheon(Yoruba). She is a powerful
sorceress, who controls the wind and the rains . She is a warrior woman.
She also controls fire, is the goddess of the grave, and dwells in the
market place.

http://www.blueroebuck.com/Goddess/oya.htm

http://www.cybercomm.net/~grandpa/oyax.html

http://www.palo.org/

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/5599/orisa.htm

http://www.blueroebuck.com/Goddess/orishas.html

For anyone interested in further reading, books can be foudn in the library
or bookstore.

Justin Samuels

Jun 6, 2002, 10:35:32 PM6/6/02

"Michael W Crichton" <mwcri...@home.com> wrote in message

In Storm's so called religion, she worshipped a female creator which is
simply called goddess. Yes, i am suggesting there is no such religion.
Animistic religions in Africa do not have a female creator of the universe,
and I would challenge anyone to present an ethnic group that has one.

Also, worshippers of these religions give very specific names to their gods
,and Storm's religion and goddess have no name.

Thank god they dropped that goddess crap from her vocabulary.

Also, these religions generally have names.

And as I said, the biggest religion in Africa is Islam, Number 2 is
Christianity.

Brian Doyle

Jun 7, 2002, 4:47:35 AM6/7/02

> Oya is a particular goddess from this pantheon(Yoruba). She is a powerful
> sorceress, who controls the wind and the rains . She is a warrior woman.
> She also controls fire, is the goddess of the grave, and dwells in the
> market place.

Talk about multi-tasking!

Brian Doyle

Jun 7, 2002, 4:46:58 AM6/7/02

> We have never seen the power the Living Tribunal Represents, but during
the
> Infinity Crusade the other cosmic beings claimed that it(the force the
> Tribunal Represents) is surpreme.

From their point of view, yes, doesn;t mean they can see the whole picture.

> The writers probably got the idea to give the Tribunal three faces from
the
> Holy Trinity.

Except the Tribunal has no separateness to it, the best being that the faces
have assigned duties, IIRC.

Three is a principle number in many pantheons; the Norns, the Hecate, the
Fates, the Furies, heck maybe even the Graces! :) Past, present, future.
Heavens, seas and afterlife etc..

Brian Doyle

Jun 7, 2002, 4:58:43 AM6/7/02