(OFFTOPIC) Sleepwalker and a RANT!

Jonathan Maske

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Sorry, I was on Easter Break :) I got to dig through my whole comic
collection! Ah, the days of AOA, Slapstick, Sleepwalker, Revenge of the
Sinister Six, Round Robin: the Sidekick's Revenge, and PAD's X-Factor.
Enough of the old days, I now know Sleepwalker's host's name! Trivia
challenge, anyone? (THIS MEANS YOU, BRIAN!!!)

If anyone else is reading this out of boredom, it's time for me, the
relative newbie former lurker to speak out. You have been warned...

<semi-rant mode on>

Ahem. Being gone from my beloved RACMX for nearly a week has taken it's
toll on me. Getting back to school and hopping on the Net was the only thing
on my mind. I come back, and... HOW MANY POSTS IS THAT!!!

OK, I can handle that. Then I actually get into the group. A bunch of
still around, and the wonderfully off-topic stuff is there too, but then I
saw it...

THE RELIGION THREAD IS STILL AROUND, AND IT'S GROWING!!!

(setting himself up for a whole bunch of flames, he says...) I am a
Christian, and seeing the religious material here is out of place. If it was
on topic, like the religious beliefs of the X-Men, then I see no problem
with it. But, if it has come to something like this, take it to e-mail, or
better yet, to the appropriate newsgroup. RACMX is really a pretty friendly
newsgroup (honest!) except when we get onto threads like this. While we're
at it, drop the homosexuality threads too.

Come on, people! This is covered in the Newbies Guide, right? Please,
let's stop the Religion Wars and get back to the X-Books (and Sailor Moon,
Transformers, MST3K, Simpsons, Bond, and all the other off-topic stuff that
makes this group fun!)

<rant mode off>

Sorry about that. I needed to vent.

Jon (TICK) Maske

anthony edward davis

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
Jonathan Maske <jma...@post.its.mcw.edu> wrote:
> Sorry, I was on Easter Break :) I got to dig through my whole comic
>collection! Ah, the days of AOA, Slapstick, Sleepwalker, Revenge of the
>Sinister Six, Round Robin: the Sidekick's Revenge, and PAD's X-Factor.
>Enough of the old days, I now know Sleepwalker's host's name! Trivia
>challenge, anyone? (THIS MEANS YOU, BRIAN!!!)

Wasn't it something like Rick Sheridan?

Oh, and since we're doing trivia, how about some Michael J. Fox trivia...
MJF has been involved with 2 projects set in Ohio. Name the two, the cities
they were in, and the recording artist who co-starred in one.

> Ahem. Being gone from my beloved RACMX for nearly a week has taken it's
>toll on me. Getting back to school and hopping on the Net was the only thing
>on my mind. I come back, and... HOW MANY POSTS IS THAT!!!

Yup...that's when I do a lot of title skimming...

> THE RELIGION THREAD IS STILL AROUND, AND IT'S GROWING!!!
> (setting himself up for a whole bunch of flames, he says...) I am a
>Christian, and seeing the religious material here is out of place. If it was
>on topic, like the religious beliefs of the X-Men, then I see no problem
>with it. But, if it has come to something like this, take it to e-mail, or
>better yet, to the appropriate newsgroup. RACMX is really a pretty friendly
>newsgroup (honest!) except when we get onto threads like this. While we're
>at it, drop the homosexuality threads too.

We've been trying to tell people this, but everyone is so concerned
about getting the last word in that they won't stop, no matter how much
we beg, plead, whine, and otherwise express the view that, except for the
two or three people continuing this thread, most aren't contributing to it
and MANY have told people to take it off here and to e-mail. So, one more
time, to DRH and all the others: GET THIS THE HELL OFF RACMX.

(Seeing as how often I'm prone to using profanity of any sort, maybe this
will help get the point across.)

-Tony!
Sick of the religion thread.

--
Check out Tony! on the net! Go to http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~adavis
"How many bureaucrats does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 2, one to

Brian

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
In article <4kf197$p...@post.its.mcw.edu>, jma...@post.its.mcw.edu (Jonathan

Maske) says:

> Sorry, I was on Easter Break :) I got to dig through my whole comic
>collection! Ah, the days of AOA, Slapstick, Sleepwalker, Revenge of the
>Sinister Six, Round Robin: the Sidekick's Revenge, and PAD's X-Factor.
>Enough of the old days, I now know Sleepwalker's host's name! Trivia
>challenge, anyone? (THIS MEANS YOU, BRIAN!!!)

OOPS! And I forgot to dig through my old Sleepy's this weekend! I was busy
being dragged to four or five different Easter Church services by my fiancee
(God bless her and love her, but those things can get boring!). I feel so
utterly shamed . . .

I'll find out ASAP :). And while I'm at it . . . I'll find out 8-Ball's name,
too (I *think* he had one, when they did that lame "super-villian bar" thing).

I've gotta cut the rant here down a little. >-snip!-<

>Christian, and seeing the religious material here is out of place. If it was
^^^^^^^^^

>on topic, like the religious beliefs of the X-Men, then I see no problem
Say, this *would* be a neat thread. My memory doesn't really remember a lot
of the X-Men having stated a religion. Kitty's Jewish, and Scott and Jean
were married (I think) in a Catholic ceremony, and Collossus, being Russian,
is probably Greek Orthodox, but where does that leave the rest of the team?
Anyone know any issues where a X-Member professed his/her religion?

There. That brought this off-topic post around real quick :). Sorry.

--Brian P. Hudson, the Anti-Ashford

Ryan W. Fitzpatrick

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96

I think Kurt Wagner was also Jewish.
Don't know any others for sure, but would Cable's praying to the mother
Askani be considered a religion???

--
Ryan W Fitzpatrick United States Air Force Academy Class of 1998
Who's really frustrated about probably having to cnacel out of his

Jonathan Maske

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
anthony edward davis (ada...@hammond.cis.ohio-state.edu) wrote:
: Jonathan Maske <jma...@post.its.mcw.edu> wrote:
: > Sorry, I was on Easter Break :) I got to dig through my whole comic

: >collection! Ah, the days of AOA, Slapstick, Sleepwalker, Revenge of the
: >Sinister Six, Round Robin: the Sidekick's Revenge, and PAD's X-Factor.
: >Enough of the old days, I now know Sleepwalker's host's name! Trivia
: >challenge, anyone? (THIS MEANS YOU, BRIAN!!!)

: Wasn't it something like Rick Sheridan?

It sure was. thanks for ending the game so quickly. But you've
ruined it for Brian! :)

: Oh, and since we're doing trivia, how about some Michael J. Fox trivia...

: MJF has been involved with 2 projects set in Ohio. Name the two, the cities
: they were in, and the recording artist who co-starred in one.

Sorry, the only MJF trivia I concern myself with is Back to the
Future and a little Family Ties. :(

: > Ahem. Being gone from my beloved RACMX for nearly a week has taken it's

: >toll on me. Getting back to school and hopping on the Net was the only thing
: >on my mind. I come back, and... HOW MANY POSTS IS THAT!!!

: Yup...that's when I do a lot of title skimming...

And now I have learned to skim as well!!!

[...]

Aren't we all? Thanks for the backup, Tony!, now who else will help?

Jon (TICK) Maske

Katharine Weizel

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
In article <4kh95p$k...@usafa2.usafa.af.mil>,

Ryan W. Fitzpatrick <fitzpatric...@usafa.af.mil> wrote:
>Brian <34M...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu> wrote:
>>In article <4kf197$p...@post.its.mcw.edu>, jma...@post.its.mcw.edu (Jonathan
>>Maske) says:
>>>on topic, like the religious beliefs of the X-Men, then I see no problem
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Say, this *would* be a neat thread. My memory doesn't really remember a lot
>>of the X-Men having stated a religion. Kitty's Jewish, and Scott and Jean
>>were married (I think) in a Catholic ceremony, and Collossus, being Russian,
>>is probably Greek Orthodox, but where does that leave the rest of the team?
>>Anyone know any issues where a X-Member professed his/her religion?
>
> I think Kurt Wagner was also Jewish.

Nope! Kurt is most definitely Catholic. He's been seen in a
confessional with a priest at least once in an annual, and again in some
other issue of Uncanny that I can't remember the name of. (Possibly
around the time of the Beyonder in the earrrrrly 200's).

> Don't know any others for sure, but would Cable's praying to the mother
>Askani be considered a religion???

quasi religious philosophy? Yeah, why not.

And, uh, wouldn't Colossus be *Russian* Orthodox if he was a branch of
eastern Christianity?

kate.

| Kate the Short - (ka...@cicero.spc.uchicago.edu) - at the U of Chicago |
| I have a web page! (at http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/keweizel) |
| Keeper of the RAC.MX Read Before Posting and Where Can I Find It? FAQs |
| Patron Saint of rec.arts.comics.marvel.xbooks, and Really Short Person |

Blase Martin Louis

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
Ryan W. Fitzpatrick (fitzpatric...@usafa.af.mil) wrote:
: Brian <34M...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu> wrote:
: >Say, this *would* be a neat thread. My memory doesn't really remember a lot

: >of the X-Men having stated a religion. Kitty's Jewish, and Scott and Jean
: >were married (I think) in a Catholic ceremony, and Collossus, being Russian,
: >is probably Greek Orthodox, but where does that leave the rest of the team?
: >Anyone know any issues where a X-Member professed his/her religion?

More likely, Colossus is atheist, having been raised communist.
Wolverine is an acknowledged atheist.
Skin is probably non-practicing Catholic.
Cannonball (and by association, Husk) is some form of Protestant,
maybe Baptist.
Rahne's Christianity is well known.
And Mondo's obviously Zen Buddhist.

: I think Kurt Wagner was also Jewish.

Nope, he's Catholic, too.

: Don't know any others for sure, but would Cable's praying to the mother

: Askani be considered a religion???

Works in my book. Kinda weird, though, worshipping your sister as a
religious figure....

--

Blaze -- m-b...@students.uiuc.edu -- Archbishop of the Church of Xbooks
The Uncanny X-Page - http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~m-blase/x-page.html

The Man with the Golden Gun

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
"Ryan W. Fitzpatrick" <fitzpatric...@usafa.af.mil> wrote:
>Brian <34M...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu> wrote:
>>In article <4kf197$p...@post.its.mcw.edu>, jma...@post.its.mcw.edu (Jonathan
>>Maske) says:
>>>on topic, like the religious beliefs of the X-Men, then I see no problem
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Say, this *would* be a neat thread. My memory doesn't really remember a lot
>>of the X-Men having stated a religion. Kitty's Jewish, and Scott and Jean
>>were married (I think) in a Catholic ceremony, and Collossus, being Russian,
>>is probably Greek Orthodox, but where does that leave the rest of the team?
>>Anyone know any issues where a X-Member professed his/her religion?

Actually, I believe, at least at the time of his joining, Colossus was an
atheist.

> I think Kurt Wagner was also Jewish.

Roman Catholic, I think. He's been shown going to confession and such.

> Don't know any others for sure, but would Cable's praying to the mother
>Askani be considered a religion???

You know, it could be. I hadn't thought of it that way, really, but it
does seem to work.

-Scaramanga, who doesn't remember a lot of this
--
The Man with the Golden Gun, Craig Lovelace, founder of MAVWWDBN
Bond: If you're late . . . surely you say, well, Freddie Uncle Charlie

Brian

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
In article <Dpo7D...@midway.uchicago.edu>, ka...@cicero.spc.uchicago.edu

(Katharine Weizel) says:

>> Don't know any others for sure, but would Cable's praying to the mother
>>Askani be considered a religion???
>
>quasi religious philosophy? Yeah, why not.

Hey, works for me. Better than the early days, when he worshipped on the
altar of Really Big Guns. :)

>And, uh, wouldn't Colossus be *Russian* Orthodox if he was a branch of
>eastern Christianity?

Um, actually, no. I was always told that *all* eastern Christianity was
referred to as "Greek Orthodox." Something to do with its roots in the greek
Byzantine Empire. But since several people have pointed out that Colossuss
pretty much flat-out said he was atheist, I guess it makes the point rather
moot.

And now that people mention it . . . I'm remembering a back-up story in an
issue of EXCALIBUR (post-Ashford, I think) with Kurt in a confessional. Great
art, if I remember. Pretty okay writing, too. For shame of me to forget.

Sayonara,

--Brian P. Hudson

"She was black as the ace of spades and as beautiful as the sin you never had
nerve enough to commit."
--Stephen King, _The_Green_Mile_

The Man with the Golden Gun

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Brian <34M...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu> wrote:

>Hey, works for me. Better than the early days, when he worshipped on the
>altar of Really Big Guns. :)

Hey, what do you have against that? I personally am a dixciple of Dan
Wesson.

>"She was black as the ace of spades and as beautiful as the sin you never had
> nerve enough to commit."
> --Stephen King, _The_Green_Mile_

Very, very good quote.

-Scaramanga, worshipper of the idols of Sam Colt and John Browning

--
The Man with the Golden Gun, Craig Lovelace, founder of MAVWWDBN
Bond: If you're late . . . surely you say, well, Freddie Uncle Charlie
Katie, If I may put it so as not to offend.
Tanaka: No, I would say 'shimatta' which means 'I have made a mistake.'
Bond: Well, I'm . . . astonished! A violent people without a violent
language! I must write a learned paper on this.
-from Ian Fleming's You Only Live Twice

Rest In Peace, John. You will be missed.

Sarah Anne Yost

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
In article <96101.165...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu>,
Brian <34M...@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu> wrote:

>Say, this *would* be a neat thread. My memory doesn't really remember a lot
>of the X-Men having stated a religion. Kitty's Jewish, and Scott and Jean
>were married (I think) in a Catholic ceremony, and Collossus, being Russian,
>is probably Greek Orthodox, but where does that leave the rest of the team?
>Anyone know any issues where a X-Member professed his/her religion?
>

>There. That brought this off-topic post around real quick :). Sorry.
>
>--Brian P. Hudson, the Anti-Ashford

Colossus is atheist, that's why he says "by the white wolf" instead of
religious exclamations, I think. Wolvie doesn't believe in what he can't
see or touch or cut (see the Brood saga). Nightcrawler is Christian of
some sort.

I remember an old NM when they used to have halfway decent lettercols
where they gave all of the current members' religions:

Amara - roman beliefs
Rahne - something like "Scots Presbyterian"
Roberto and Xi'an were both Catholic IIRC, Cannonball was some sort of
Christian. Dani naturally had Cheyenne beliefs.

I seriously doubt that Scott and Jean are Catholic. In Adventures of
Cyclops and Phoenix, Scott recalled specifically having "honor and obey"
written out of their wedding vows. The Catholic vows are now (and have
been for a good while) "love, honor and cherish" said by both husband and
wife.

S. Yost
Who should know about that last one, sheesh, she's been to Catholic
weddings.

Keeper of the boysenberry pie flame
Newly Converted Novitiate to the New Warriors Heresy :) of the CoX

Katharine Martin

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Brian from cmich wrote:

>And now that people mention it . . . I'm remembering a back-up story in an
>issue of EXCALIBUR (post-Ashford, I think) with Kurt in a confessional.

Yes, there was one with him there, post-Ashford. There's also a scene of him
in a confessional in UXM 196, and quite a few others. Quite established.

--
Kate Martin jul...@haven.boston.ma.us k...@gnu.ai.mit.edu
"The right chaos, and the right vagueness, are jointly required

Jacob W Michaels

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
Sarah Anne Yost (umy...@cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:

> Colossus is atheist, that's why he says "by the white wolf" instead of
> religious exclamations, I think.

Boszhe Moi, which Colossus used to say quite often, means "My God" in
Russkie.

Jacob Tee Znayesh gday yosh?

Sarah Anne Yost

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
Jacob W Michaels <JWMI...@bronte.oit.UMASS.edu> wrote:
>Sarah Anne Yost (umy...@cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:
>
>> Colossus is atheist, that's why he says "by the white wolf" instead of
>> religious exclamations, I think.
>
>Boszhe Moi, which Colossus used to say quite often, means "My God" in
>Russkie.

Hmmm. I'd totally forgotten about that. I _still_ think he's atheist,
though. He was such a "good little follower of the Soviet state", which
demanded atheism. Plus I believe he stated that at the very end of "Fatal
Attractions" (the Excalibur issue). He said something to Xavier like
"When I came to you, I was an atheist, I had no faith in anything. You
gave me something to believe in, and I will always be grateful for that".
I'm not sure the "didn't believe in anything" fits his early character,
but that's the way I remember what was said.

S. Yost

rcoa...@forest.drew.edu

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
In article <4ksdmi$d...@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>, umy...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Sarah Anne Yost) writes:
> Jacob W Michaels <JWMI...@bronte.oit.UMASS.edu> wrote:
>>Sarah Anne Yost (umy...@cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:
>>
>>> Colossus is atheist, that's why he says "by the white wolf" instead of
>>> religious exclamations, I think.
>>
>>Boszhe Moi, which Colossus used to say quite often, means "My God" in
>>Russkie.

He also often said "Lenin's Ghost!"

> Hmmm. I'd totally forgotten about that. I _still_ think he's atheist,
> though. He was such a "good little follower of the Soviet state", which
> demanded atheism. Plus I believe he stated that at the very end of "Fatal
> Attractions" (the Excalibur issue). He said something to Xavier like
> "When I came to you, I was an atheist, I had no faith in anything. You
> gave me something to believe in, and I will always be grateful for that".
> I'm not sure the "didn't believe in anything" fits his early character,
> but that's the way I remember what was said.

I think for most of his life Peter believed in 2 things: the communist
party and his little sister Illyana. I even understand Peter felt like a
real rat for not using his mutant powers to help Russia, something covered
in a Classic X-Men back-up story. Colossus did say during Fatal
Attractions that Xavier's Dream made him part of a "greater whole,"
something that was important to him.

Duncan Hay

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
JWMI...@bronte.oit.UMASS.edu (Jacob W Michaels) wrote:
>Sarah Anne Yost (umy...@cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:
>
>> Colossus is atheist, that's why he says "by the white wolf" instead of
>> religious exclamations, I think.
>
>Boszhe Moi, which Colossus used to say quite often, means "My God" in
>Russkie.
>
>Jacob Tee Znayesh gday yosh?

New Zealanders and Australians tend to say 'Jesus Christ',
'Christ' or just 'Jeez', they also use 'shit' as well, don't
think cultural exclaimations really display your religious
beliefs.

Duncan Hay
Grumpy old Moa