"Gwen Stacy" in the Spider-man Movie? (ever-so-slight spoiler)

Atragon1

May 5, 2002, 2:43:24 PM5/5/02
Was it my imagination, or in the final scenes of the film where MJ & Peter are
in the graveyard, does the tombstone in back of Peter have "Stacy Gwen" etched
into it?

The tombstone was slightly out of focus, but I could have sworn that I saw it.
If it did say that, that would be a nice little homage to the lovely long
departed Gwen.

Ian Boothby

May 5, 2002, 5:07:28 PM5/5/02

Atragon1 <atra...@aol.com> wrote in message

It would also mean he'd had some practice with that how to save women
falling off bridges thing.

WRH Bill

May 5, 2002, 7:03:29 PM5/5/02

>Was it my imagination, or in the final scenes of the film where MJ & Peter
>are
>in the graveyard, does the tombstone in back of Peter have "Stacy Gwen"
>etched
>into it?

I didn't notice the tombstone-- I'll watch for it when I see the movie again--
but in a way I thought Gwen *was* in the film, i.e., Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane
Watson seemed a lot more like a redhaired Gwen, personality-wise, than the
irrepressibly "fun-loving" Mary Jane we're used to from the comics. And of
course, the Gwen resemblance was pointed up when MJ in the film *almost* meets
that same fate that Gwen did in the comics at the hands of the Green Goblin.

Not that there was anything terribly wrong with that. The way Mary Jane was
played in the movie worked fine in the context of the movie. It was just that
the movie MJ didn't match up with the comics MJ as closely as nearly all of the
other characters in the film did.

"You can't kill the truth. Well, actually, you CAN kill it...but it'll come
back to haunt you later." (Capt. John Sheridan)

DonFro...@webtv.net

May 5, 2002, 7:26:33 PM5/5/02
Bill says:
<<I didn't notice the tombstone-- I'll watch for it when I see the movie
again-- but in a way I thought Gwen *was* in the film, i.e., Kirsten
Dunst's Mary Jane Watson seemed a lot more like a redhaired Gwen,
personality-wise, than the irrepressibly "fun-loving" Mary Jane we're
used to from the comics. And of course, the Gwen resemblance was pointed
up when MJ in the film *almost* meets that same fate that Gwen did in
the comics at the hands of the Green Goblin.
Not that there was anything terribly wrong>>

It was more than "seemed a lot like" I think. In one of the reviews I
read over the weekend Raimi states that the movie M.J. is an
amalgamation of the comics Gwen and M.J.

DON
"LET'S ROLL"
GO AMERICA!!!
AND HER ALLIES!!!

Jeremy Henderson

May 5, 2002, 8:29:10 PM5/5/02

I thought it said Rachel Ewen. I spent the last several minutes trying
to figure out if that was a comic character or just an incidental
tombstone.

I don't recall many tombstones that list the last name first.
_______________
Boring stories by a boring man
http://www.storymania.com/cgibin/sm2/smshowauthorbox.cgi?page=1&author=HendersonJL

Verti-Go

May 5, 2002, 11:21:59 PM5/5/02
In article <7ejbduk51u2hlhfeq...@4ax.com>,
Jeremy Henderson <hell...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 05 May 2002 18:43:24 GMT, atra...@aol.com (Atragon1) wrote:
>
> >Was it my imagination, or in the final scenes of the film where MJ & Peter
> >are
> >in the graveyard, does the tombstone in back of Peter have "Stacy Gwen"
> >etched
> >into it?
> >
> >The tombstone was slightly out of focus, but I could have sworn that I saw
> >it.
> >If it did say that, that would be a nice little homage to the lovely long
> >departed Gwen.
>
> I thought it said Rachel Ewen. I spent the last several minutes trying
> to figure out if that was a comic character or just an incidental
> tombstone.
>
> I don't recall many tombstones that list the last name first.

Yes, it was Rachel Ewen. Died in 1965? Doesn't ring a bell

Yves

lvi...@yahoo.com

May 10, 2002, 2:26:38 PM5/10/02

According to Verti-Go <vert...@sympatico.ca>:
:Yes, it was Rachel Ewen. Died in 1965? Doesn't ring a bell

When I googled "Rachel Ewen", the first hit is an actress who played
in a couple of episodes of "Commissioned Strand". Interestingly enough,
none come up on imdb.com ; I see a Gwenda Ewen, Lesley Ewen and
a Linda Ewen.

--
Support Internet Radio <URL: http://saveinternetradio.org/ >

Dale Hicks

May 10, 2002, 5:41:08 PM5/10/02
In article <abh3cu$kan$1...@srv38.cas.org>, lvi...@yahoo.com says...

> According to Verti-Go <vert...@sympatico.ca>:
> :Yes, it was Rachel Ewen. Died in 1965? Doesn't ring a bell
>
> When I googled "Rachel Ewen", the first hit is an actress who played
> in a couple of episodes of "Commissioned Strand". Interestingly enough,
> none come up on imdb.com ; I see a Gwenda Ewen, Lesley Ewen and
> a Linda Ewen.

I think this was just a real headstone, no?

--
Cranial Crusader dgh...@bellsouth.net

Justin Bacon

May 11, 2002, 4:07:41 AM5/11/02
>Was it my imagination, or in the final scenes of the film where MJ & Peter
>are
>in the graveyard, does the tombstone in back of Peter have "Stacy Gwen"
>etched
>into it?

I thought the same thing, but I looked more closely. The second name is
definitely "Owen". And I think the first is "Stanley".

Personally, here's my sick-and-twisted version of what they'll do in the
sequels: Having left Peter and MJ unentangled, they introduce the character of
Gwen Stacy. Peter and Gwen become romantically involved. Then in movie 3 or 4,
when Harry goes insane and becomes the Goblin, he promptly duplicates what
should have been his father's greatest triumph... by taking Gwen up to the top
of the bridge. This time, however, there is no accompanying cable car. So,
instead of jumping after Gwen, Peter desperately uses his web to catch her...
And we know the rest.

(Of course, they won't do this.)

JB

luispi...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2018, 7:26:24 PM2/26/18
I was searching for the answer of this tombstone it says Rachel G Ewen i saw spiderman so many times in my childhood so i download the movie and i saw it again
PD i think that nobody search this ever since 2002 wow...... well i saw this in 2018 14 years later since i watched the movie for the first time.

patrickl...@gmail.com

May 4, 2018, 9:36:42 AM5/4/18
That wouldn't make sense because of the fact that she was in Spider-Man 3. The character was clearly alive in that movie.

daniele....@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2019, 7:01:56 AM1/20/19
2019 now, and I'm recapping all the spiderman movies released so far. That tombstone in the back I definitely think is a real one, it says Rachel C. Ewen 1810-1885. Here's a picture of it at the cypress Hill Cemetery in Brooklin.

https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2017/64/176834655_1488831667.jpg

gerardf...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2019, 8:23:58 PM12/4/19
Haha good man. Was talking about Willem Dafoe and just thought fuck it, ill watch it again 😃

Lucy Stephanie

Jan 17, 2020, 12:08:58 PM1/17/20
Well I think it's about time Spider-Woman had her own movie instead. :)

Wouter Valentijn

Jan 17, 2020, 12:28:48 PM1/17/20
Op 17-1-2020 om 18:08 schreef Lucy Stephanie:
> Well I think it's about time Spider-Woman had her own movie instead. :)

Jessica Drew?

--
Wouter Valentijn

Kirk: "No beach to walk on..."