ELBE BJG

0 прегледа
Пређи на прву непрочитану поруку

Mark J. Reed

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 13:33:4226.8.04.
Has it ever been revealed what the "J" stands for in "Benjamin J. Grimm"?
Maybe Jacob after his Uncle Jake?

Heck, for that matter, what about the "J" in "J. Jonah Jameson"?


lkseitz .at. hiwaay

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 14:05:5926.8.04.
In article <W9pXc.13465$2L3....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,

Mark J. Reed <mr...@thereeds.org> wrote:
>Has it ever been revealed what the "J" stands for in "Benjamin J. Grimm"?
>Maybe Jacob after his Uncle Jake?

Don't have my OHOTMUs handy, but online sources say it is Jacob.

>Heck, for that matter, what about the "J" in "J. Jonah Jameson"?

John, apparently. Does that mean his son (Man-Wolf) is JJJ, Jr.?

--
lkseitz (Lee K. Seitz) .at. hiwaay @dot@ net
"You're a wonder, Wonder Woman"
-- Norman Gimbel and Charles Fox, "Wonder Woman" (1976)

Jon Yeager (Zevo)

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 14:13:0326.8.04.

"Mark J. Reed" <mr...@thereeds.org> wrote in message
news:W9pXc.13465$2L3....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> Has it ever been revealed what the "J" stands for in "Benjamin J. Grimm"?
> Maybe Jacob after his Uncle Jake?
>
> Heck, for that matter, what about the "J" in "J. Jonah Jameson"?

Or the "J" in Homer J. Simpson?

Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?


FSogol

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 14:27:1426.8.04.

Jon Yeager (Zevo) wrote:

Copying Bullwinkle.

--
FSogol


Jim

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 14:36:1626.8.04.
"Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in news:tHpXc.18853
$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net:

> Or the "J" in Homer J. Simpson?

Homer's "J" stands for Jay.

Jim


Adam Cadre

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 15:17:1726.8.04.
Jon Yeager wrote:
> How many of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

Uh, it's not like we're talking about Q or Z here. J is
*extremely* common as an initial; I'd bet it's the most common
in the US, at least for males. Common male names starting with
J include John, James, Jason, Joseph, Jeremy, Jonathan, Joshua,
Jeffrey, and Jacob; for females it doesn't pop up quite so often,
but Jennifer, Jessica and Jacqueline cover a hell of a lot of
people, and on top of those three you can throw in Jane and Joan
and Julie and Judy and Joyce and Jill and Janet and...

-----
Adam Cadre, Holyoke, MA
http://adamcadre.ac

The Babaloughesian

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 15:59:0726.8.04.

"Jon Yeager (Zevo)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in message
news:tHpXc.18853$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net...

>
> "Mark J. Reed" <mr...@thereeds.org> wrote in message
> news:W9pXc.13465$2L3....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> > Has it ever been revealed what the "J" stands for in "Benjamin J.
Grimm"?
> > Maybe Jacob after his Uncle Jake?
> >
> > Heck, for that matter, what about the "J" in "J. Jonah Jameson"?
>
> Or the "J" in Homer J. Simpson?

Or in Stimpson J. Cat?

>
> Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How
many
> of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

I know nobody with a J initial.


Jim

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 16:57:5226.8.04.
"The Babaloughesian" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in news:2p6tofFh8urjU1
@uni-berlin.de:

> I know nobody with a J initial.

My brother's middle name is "Jay".

Jim

Lilith

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 17:04:0826.8.04.

Josephine

Lilith J. Doe

Lilith

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 17:47:1726.8.04.

I'll never forget the night an audience member asked Jay Leno what the
"Jay" stood for.

>Jim

Lilith

Peter

непрочитано,
26.08.2004. 19:18:2026.8.04.
In article <tHpXc.18853$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net>, Zevo\
<nos...@please.com> wrote:

>
> Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
> of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

I do.

Mark J. Reed

непрочитано,
27.08.2004. 00:12:4527.8.04.

"Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> writes:

Hey, Jon, do you read your own attributions? You replied to
a message from

>"Mark J. Reed" <mr...@thereeds.org> wrote ...

and said

>How many of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

Oh, the irony. :)

In my case, the J stands for "Joseph", btw, which is reportedly also Clark
Kent's middle name. As to the reason behind the popularity of J as an
initial in fiction (not just comics and cartoons), I have no idea why that
is so.

Thanks to all for the help with Ben and JJ.

-Mark

Jack Bohn

непрочитано,
27.08.2004. 06:06:3127.8.04.
FSogol wrote:

>Copying Bullwinkle.

And Bullwinkle used it because of its producer, Jay Ward.

--
-Jack

Jon Yeager (Zevo)

непрочитано,
27.08.2004. 10:52:4727.8.04.
"Adam Cadre" <see-website...@adamcadre.ac> wrote in message
news:1HqXc.315010$a24.109078@attbi_s03...

I love the way you prefaced your reply with a condescending "Uh," -- it
renews my faith that in this day and age, flamebaiters are alive and well on
the Usenet.

In fact, I'm almost turned on by it. If I had more time, I'd accept your
invitation and turn the flame way up high.


Theodore Jay Miller

непрочитано,
27.08.2004. 11:28:1127.8.04.
"Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in message news:<tHpXc.18853$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net>...

> Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
> of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

I'm Theodore J. Miller, and I know someone who's
usually called T.J.White

Some famous people known by an initial J:
J.P.Morgan
J.K.Rowling
J.R.R.Tolkein

Mark Moore

непрочитано,
27.08.2004. 14:08:3227.8.04.
"Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in message news:<tHpXc.18853$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net>...

My dad's name is Jerry.

My brother's name was Johnny.

I also have a nephew named Johnny.

My maternal grandfather was named Jacob.

My sister's daughters are named Jennifer, Jamie, Jessica, and Jonell.


Mark

Adam Cadre

непрочитано,
27.08.2004. 16:03:3827.8.04.
> I love the way you prefaced your reply with a condescending "Uh,"

It wasn't meant to be condescending. It was meant to indicate
astonishment at an assertion I thought was exactly wrong. That
doesn't mean I think the person I'm talking to is stupid. I've
had similar misapprehensions myself on many topics.

> it renews my faith that in this day and age, flamebaiters are alive
> and well on the Usenet.

The last thing I wanted to do was start a flame war. I left the
two groups I used to post on most often (the interactive fiction
newsgroups) precisely because there were too many trolls and flame
wars for my tastes - and those groups are actually pretty tame as
these things go.

> In fact, I'm almost turned on by it. If I had more time, I'd accept
> your invitation and turn the flame way up high.

I thought my post was quite civil. It is true that tone doesn't
translate well over Usenet - but given that you know nothing about
me, why wouldn't you give me the benefit of the doubt? It's actually
somewhat upsetting that you would decide I'm a nasty person on the
basis of two innocuous letters.

Rick

непрочитано,
27.08.2004. 17:10:4827.8.04.
Michael J. Fox. People love Michael J. Fox.

- Rick

~consul

непрочитано,
27.08.2004. 21:47:1227.8.04.
Mark Moore wrote:
> My dad's name is Jerry.
> My brother's name was Johnny.
> I also have a nephew named Johnny.
> My maternal grandfather was named Jacob.
> My sister's daughters are named Jennifer, Jamie, Jessica, and Jonell.

I'm Jameson, my brother is Jeffrey, and my dad is Jian Chu. Male cousins and uncles all
begin with J. In chinese families, it is traditional to have the males with similar first
names.
--
"Oh look, there's the rock that God can't pick up, finally I can do my taxes in peace. And
I've set fire to those nearby butterflies, so Madagascar won't have tornadoes anymore. I'm
saving LIVES. And I hope my foods are still salty with this 'NaCl' stuff, 'cause you'll
_never_ know if it'll work or not, what with the uncertainty."

~consul

непрочитано,
27.08.2004. 21:48:0427.8.04.
Jim wrote:
> "Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in news:tHpXc.18853
>>Or the "J" in Homer J. Simpson?
> Homer's "J" stands for Jay.

Did it? I thought the episode where he finds out (mom comes back and the hippies shack)
what it means was that it was just the letter?

The Babaloughesian

непрочитано,
27.08.2004. 21:51:4327.8.04.

"~consul" <con...@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message
news:cgoo8k$fds$3...@gist.usc.edu...

> Jim wrote:
> > "Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in news:tHpXc.18853
> >>Or the "J" in Homer J. Simpson?
> > Homer's "J" stands for Jay.
>
> Did it? I thought the episode where he finds out (mom comes back and the
hippies shack)
> what it means was that it was just the letter?

From script here http://www.snpp.com/episodes/AABF02:


Homer: Oh my God ... my middle name is right behind that shrub!
I'll finally know what "J" stands for. From this moment
forth, I will be known as Homer ... [he pushes back the
shrub] ... Jay Simpson! [wipes away a tear] It's so
beautiful. What a magical gift for my mother to leave me.


Switch

непрочитано,
28.08.2004. 04:50:4628.8.04.
> Michael J. Fox. People love Michael J. Fox.
>

But wasn't the J in Michael J. Fox added superficially because there was
already a Michael Fox in Hollywood?

--
The Wax Conspiracy - dampening conduits
http://www.thewaxconspiracy.com/

DESSCRIBE1

непрочитано,
28.08.2004. 09:59:2328.8.04.
>Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
>of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

Well, Michael J. Fox has already been mentioned, but here are a few more off
the top of my head...

J. Paul Getty
Alan J. Pakula
J. Arthur Rank
J. Lee Thompson
J. Pat O'Malley
Jm J. Bullock

And that's not counting people who go by two initials and a surname (J.D.
Salinger, etc.)...

Erich

"We've got to strengthen our knees! Strengthen our knees for comedy!"

CleV

непрочитано,
28.08.2004. 12:47:5328.8.04.
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:03:38 GMT, Adam Cadre
<see-website...@adamcadre.ac> wrote:

> > I love the way you prefaced your reply with a condescending "Uh,"

>It wasn't meant to be condescending. It was meant to indicate
>astonishment at an assertion I thought was exactly wrong. That
>doesn't mean I think the person I'm talking to is stupid. I've
>had similar misapprehensions myself on many topics.

I didn't read it as condescending either. Just used to indicate a
conversational tone. Perhaps try re-reading the post when you're in a
different mood?

Jim Longo

непрочитано,
29.08.2004. 09:11:1429.8.04.
"Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in message news:<tHpXc.18853$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net>...

http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/dist.male.first

J has three names in the top ten--James, John, and Joseph--more than
any other letter.

j.


I'm really JiminQueens. It's a hotmail account. Bitchslap a spammer
today.

~consul

непрочитано,
29.08.2004. 16:42:4029.8.04.
The Babaloughesian wrote:
> "~consul" <con...@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message
>>Did it? I thought the episode where he finds out (mom comes back and the hippies shack)
>>what it means was that it was just the letter?
> From script here http://www.snpp.com/episodes/AABF02:
> Homer: Oh my God ... my middle name is right behind that shrub!
> I'll finally know what "J" stands for. From this moment
> forth, I will be known as Homer ... [he pushes back the
> shrub] ... Jay Simpson! [wipes away a tear] It's so
> beautiful. What a magical gift for my mother to leave me.

Does any one have the actual pic of what is on the barn side? I thought it was just the
letter J.

Jim

непрочитано,
29.08.2004. 20:51:5829.8.04.
~consul <con...@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in
news:cgtf40$bd3$2...@gist.usc.edu:

> Does any one have the actual pic of what is on the barn side? I
> thought it was just the letter J.

I found this:

http://www.thewoodstockspirit.org/images/site%20pics/24.jpg

Jim

~consul

непрочитано,
30.08.2004. 12:08:4330.8.04.
Jim wrote:
> ~consul <con...@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in
>>Does any one have the actual pic of what is on the barn side? I
>>thought it was just the letter J.
> I found this:
> http://www.thewoodstockspirit.org/images/site%20pics/24.jpg

Fair enough. :)
--
"Oh look, there's the rock that GOD can't pick up, finally I can do my taxes in peace. And

I've set fire to those nearby butterflies, so Madagascar won't have tornadoes anymore. I'm
saving LIVES. And I hope my foods are still salty with this 'NaCl' stuff, 'cause you'll

_never_ know, on principle, if it'll certainly work or not."

DESSCRIBE1

непрочитано,
30.08.2004. 13:51:3430.8.04.
>Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
>of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

It just occurred to me...I'm surprised that J. Michael Straczynski hasn't
posted in this thread.

Jms at B5

непрочитано,
30.08.2004. 18:45:3530.8.04.
>>Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
>>of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?
>
>It just occurred to me...I'm surprised that J. Michael Straczynski hasn't
>posted in this thread.

Joseph Michael Straczynski would just be way too goddamned long a credit to
appear on a book...you'd need two volumes just for the name.

Joe Michael sounds weird.

Joe Straczynski is too abrupt a transition, you think it's a nice, simple name
then it whaps you really hard. A name like that would frighten cats.

So you work your way up...just the one initial, J, then Michael, two syllables,
then you let fly with Straczynski. Thnk of it as a train, receding into the
distance, ten thousand letters, no vowels....

jms

(jms...@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)

The Nuclear Marine

непрочитано,
30.08.2004. 23:32:1530.8.04.
jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote in
news:20040830184535...@mb-m24.aol.com:

>>>Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons?
>>>How many of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?
>>
>>It just occurred to me...I'm surprised that J. Michael Straczynski
>>hasn't posted in this thread.
>
> Joseph Michael Straczynski would just be way too goddamned long a
> credit to appear on a book...you'd need two volumes just for the name.
>
> Joe Michael sounds weird.
>
> Joe Straczynski is too abrupt a transition, you think it's a nice,
> simple name then it whaps you really hard. A name like that would
> frighten cats.
>
> So you work your way up...just the one initial, J, then Michael, two
> syllables, then you let fly with Straczynski. Thnk of it as a train,
> receding into the distance, ten thousand letters, no vowels....
>
> jms
>

Sorry to do this to you here Joe.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?ID=1-16901

The Marvel newsgroup must know the horrid truth.

Nuke

Matthew Vincent

непрочитано,
31.08.2004. 06:58:4931.8.04.
The Nuclear Marine <Nuke-...@cox.net> wrote:

<snip>

Hey, you forgot to show my reply where I corrected the original
poster's arithmetic. ;-)

I reckon Joseph Michael Straczynski might work well in a different
context, like when Jeffrey David Sinclair received his letter from
Valen with his full name on the envelope.

Matthew

Jon J. Yeager

непрочитано,
31.08.2004. 11:15:5631.8.04.
"The Nuclear Marine" <Nuke-...@cox.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9555D0EB4D...@68.6.19.6...

>
> Sorry to do this to you here Joe.
>
> http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?ID=1-16901

There's something very wrong with the simple fact that that page even
exists.


Karl Hiller

непрочитано,
31.08.2004. 15:48:5331.8.04.
Jim wrote:
> "The Babaloughesian" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in news:2p6tofFh8urjU1
> @uni-berlin.de:

> > I know nobody with a J initial.

> My brother's middle name is "Jay".

My middle name is Jay. People often ask what it stands for. I enjoy the
ambiguity.

Daniel W. Johnson

непрочитано,
31.08.2004. 22:02:2231.8.04.
Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

> Joe Straczynski is too abrupt a transition, you think it's a nice, simple
> name then it whaps you really hard. A name like that would frighten cats.

Have you tested that on Buddy?
--
Daniel W. Johnson
pano...@iquest.net
http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/
039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W

Jms at B5

непрочитано,
01.09.2004. 00:40:431.9.04.
>> Joe Straczynski is too abrupt a transition, you think it's a nice, simple
>> name then it whaps you really hard. A name like that would frighten cats.
>
>Have you tested that on Buddy?

He heard me say it just once, on the phone.

I didn't see him again for six days.

Then the moving van showed up....

Ken from Chicago

непрочитано,
15.09.2004. 18:57:0315.9.04.
In article <20040901004043...@mb-m15.aol.com>, jmsatb5
@aol.com says...

Gotta tell ya, I think you should go with the full name:

"Joseph Michael Straczynski".

It's big.

It's bold.

It takes up lots of space on the marquee.

Like "Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio", "Rebecca Romijn Stamos", "Sarah
Michelle Gellar", "Julia Louis Dreyfus", "Keenan Ivory Wayans", "Robert
Louis Stevenson", "Lois McMaster Bujold", "Sarah Jessica Parker", even
"Majel Barrett-Roddenberry", not to mention "Peter Allen David" or
"Brian Michael Bendis".

-- Ken from Chicago

Одговори свима
Одговори аутору
Проследи
0 нових порука