What is the worst Marvel book ever??

Brad Douglas

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
My vote goes for "Secret Defenders." What a stinker that was. I could not
comprehend that title at all. What's sad is that I stuck through the end
just to see if it got worse. Ya betta believe it did ! Dr. Druid took over
the team from Dr. Strange. Wow that series was so bad!

What series in Marvel's history do you think was the all time worst?

Alan Travis

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Brad Douglas wrote:

> What series in Marvel's history do you think was the all time worst?

Steeltown Rockers

---Alan

Daniel Langsdale

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Nah, I at least found one or two interesting things in there under all
the bunk. How about: Wolfpack?

Actually, both of these were minis, and therefore had the bonus of
having an end to the pain in sight. Secret Defenders was ongoing, and
therefore enjoyed the promise of a new, new pain each month. I can't
say that I'm truly masochistic enough to be able to come up with a
worst, although I'm sure SD is up there. How about either Silver Sable
and the Wild Pack or Knights of Pendragon II?

ProfFrink

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Hi! First time poster. Id have to say IMHO that the worst one was the
Hercules Prince of Power Mini-series from 1982.

>My vote goes for "Secret Defenders." What a stinker that was. I could not
>comprehend that title at all. What's sad is that I stuck through the end
>just to see if it got worse. Ya betta believe it did ! Dr. Druid took over
>the team from Dr. Strange. Wow that series was so bad!

Scott Hamilton

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
In article <6t7bh5$rfj$1...@post.servtech.com>, "ProfFrink"
<rams...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! First time poster. Id have to say IMHO that the worst one was the
> Hercules Prince of Power Mini-series from 1982.

I love the Hercules mini-series. Both of them.

There are plenty of bad Marvel series out there. Howabout all of those
crappy Marvel "horror" books like Ghost Riders, Spirits of Vengeance,
Nightstalkers...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
ScoPi in St.Petersburg|| Visit Stomp Tokyo Video Reviews
sco...@atlantic.net || http://stomptokyo.com/
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Brad Douglas

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98

>Alan Travis wrote:
How about either Silver Sable
>and the Wild Pack or Knights of Pendragon II?

I actually enjoyed the Silver Sable series. How about Terror Inc??

Ramhog

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Crystar- Crystal Warrior. Damned thing gave me a tumor.

And let us not forget the truly abysmal X-Force (courtesy of You-know-who)

--
-Later, R.

Chris Shelton

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98

Actually, Crystar was okay. Okay, I'll say it. I kinda liked it. Or was
that my Crystar action figures. I can never remember which. :)

-Topher_X
================Stay out of radio

Alan Travis

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Spiningboy wrote:

> Hey, Alan!
>
> Here are a few suggestions:
>
> Night Cat
> The Marvel Fumetti Book
> Strikeforce Morituri
> Black Goliath
> Force Works
> Night Nurse
> Fallen Angels
> Street Poet Ray
>
> Also, I was wondering if Marvel UK counts . . .

Hey, if Street Poet Ray counts, you can throw the entire Marvel UK on
the fire.

Force Works! That was truly awful. Tom "Ten Thousand Year Old" Tenney
made everyone look like they just stepped out of a Mummy movie. I'm
glad someone took his pencils away.

Never read FALLEN ANGELS. I remember that Sunspot almost killed
Cannonball, but I can't remember why. Obviously, this was Reignfire
forshadowing. Roberto couldn't have killed Sam, though, because
Cannonball is one of them Externals.

I actually bought Night Cat. I'm such a loser.

You forgot about US1.

---Alan

Alan Travis

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Daniel Langsdale wrote:

How about either Silver Sable and the Wild Pack or Knights of Pendragon
II?

Oh, well, if we can include the Marvel UK, I'd like to vote for it.
Every single issue that came out of Marvel UK, except for a handful of
Motormouth issues drawn by Gary Frank.

What about that Razorline crap that Clive Barker and Marvel inflicted on
an unsuspecting audience? Hypernauts, anyone?

Will I get flamed if I say I hated Terror, Inc? ---Alan

Hiro Protagonist

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Daniel Langsdale wrote:

> Nah, I at least found one or two interesting things in there under all
> the bunk. How about: Wolfpack?

I thought Wolfpack was actually okay (okay, I grabbed the graphic novel from
the local library and didn't spend a cent on it). But then, I was a lot
younger then.

But now that I look back, it's still not a bad series.

> Actually, both of these were minis, and therefore had the bonus of
> having an end to the pain in sight. Secret Defenders was ongoing, and
> therefore enjoyed the promise of a new, new pain each month. I can't
> say that I'm truly masochistic enough to be able to come up with a

> worst, although I'm sure SD is up there. How about either Silver Sable

> and the Wild Pack or Knights of Pendragon II?

Just about ANYTHING put out by Marvel UK in 1993. WildThing was enough for
me.

But yeah, Secret Defenders was pretty rancid. I couldn't believe I held
onto it for about seven issues. Now they're taking up space in my closet
alongside all the comics I can't get rid of (old Punisher comics, a Turok
#1, comics with Rob Liefeld's name in the credit page, etc.).

Now that we are getting a good idea of the worst Marvel books ever, a better
question is what do we do with them? Garage sale? Recycle? Donate and get
a tax deductable reciept?

Peace,
Vince Yim
| E-mail address altered to avoid unsolicited junkmail. |
| Remove asterix marks (*) to reply by e-mail |

Gr8Methos

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
SuperPro

Genaro M. Ramirez
gr8m...@aol.com
======||===================>
|| Because the alternative would be unthinkable.
--Methos "Highlander:The Series"

Spiningboy

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

Luke?

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
On Wed, 09 Sep 1998 18:09:12 -0700, Alan Travis
<amtr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Brad Douglas wrote:
>
>> What series in Marvel's history do you think was the all time worst?
>

>Steeltown Rockers

Team America. "We've got the mutant power to... uh, make a guy on a
motorcycle show up."

--
Luke Gattuso - Lousy email: dogw...@hotmail.com
Lousy web page: http://www.csun.edu/~lg42537/index.html

Stephen MacNeil

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Brad Douglas wrote:

> What series in Marvel's history do you think was the all time worst?

There aren't a whole lot of titles to draw on to answer this question,
since I won't buy a title if I think it sucks. However, I remember
reading my cousin's copies of Secret Wars II when it came out,
and absolutely loathing it. Glutton for punishment that I am, I still
bought the last issue (I always did have a soft spot for extra-long
comics).

And it's still the only comic that I ever tore up and threw away.

Steve MacNeil

Jim Smith

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Hiro Protagonist wrote:

> Now that we are getting a good idea of the worst Marvel books ever, a better
> question is what do we do with them? Garage sale? Recycle? Donate and get
> a tax deductable reciept?

Hmmm...is chromium safe to use as kindling?

Jim Smith

Markus465

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Yes, Secret Wars II was pretty bad, but then again, the first Secret Wars
was nothing to write home about.
Fallen Angels I found was pretty bad.
Beauty and the Beast, with Dazzler and Beast, was even worse.
Darkhold was awful also.

I wouldn't say Crystar was the worst. It had potential like the Micronauts,
but that was lightning in a bottle.

Mark S.

Jay K. Ro

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

NFL Superpro
ALF

Lastly, the Clone Saga (all parts of it)

Jay K. Ro

"Bees are on the what now?"
< Homer J. Simpson

"My son is not a Communist! He may be a liar, a thief, a Communist, but
he is NOT a porn star!"
< Abraham Simpson

thad a doria

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
In article <35F726...@earthlink.net>,

Alan Travis <amtr...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Brad Douglas wrote:
>
>> What series in Marvel's history do you think was the all time worst?
>
>Steeltown Rockers

Marvel Universe only? U.S. 1
Marvel All-time? Spitfire and the Troubleshooters

--
-Thad Doria
"I'm going to be the next Canadian Dracula."

ORAC

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
In article <35f71e14.0@news>, "Brad Douglas" <pet...@sockets.net> wrote:

>My vote goes for "Secret Defenders." What a stinker that was. I could not
>comprehend that title at all. What's sad is that I stuck through the end
>just to see if it got worse. Ya betta believe it did ! Dr. Druid took over
>the team from Dr. Strange. Wow that series was so bad!

Oh man, I forgot about that one. You're right; it was a total stinker,
absolute dreck, although I'm not sure that it was *the* worst that
Marvel's ever produced. It would definitely be on my top five list,
though.

Too bad I'm at work right now, or I could leaf through my collection and
find what I thought to be the worst Marvel of all. Maybe later; it might
be an amusing project. One possibility is that book that featured the
teenaged Franklin Richards and a bunch of other teen superheros, but I
don't remember the name. I think it was Power Pack or something like that.

Another candidate would be FF UNLIMITED (or any of the other "unlimited"
books for that matter). Whew! What a stinker!

--
THE ABOVE E-MAIL ADDRESS ONLY ACCEPTS MAIL FROM FAMILY
AND FRIENDS. TO E-MAIL ME, USE: dgorski[at]xsite[dot]net!

Pedro Ramos

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
According to Luke:

>Team America. "We've got the mutant power to... uh, make a guy on a
>motorcycle show up."

ROTFL

My vote: The Incredible Hulk vs Quasimodo
Not a series, but a one-shot that'll make you puke.

Thomas Dehn

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

ORAC schrieb in Nachricht ...

>Another candidate would be FF UNLIMITED
>(or any of the other "unlimited"
>books for that matter). Whew! What a stinker!

How about the entire 2099 line after Joey Cavaliery
had been fired and most of the artists showed
solidarity with Joey?

Thomas

Ted Douglas

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
On Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:43:18 -0500, "Brad Douglas" <pet...@sockets.net>
wrote:

>My vote goes for "Secret Defenders." What a stinker that was. I could not
>comprehend that title at all. What's sad is that I stuck through the end
>just to see if it got worse. Ya betta believe it did ! Dr. Druid took over
>the team from Dr. Strange. Wow that series was so bad!
>

>What series in Marvel's history do you think was the all time worst?

In recent times: Thor/Silver Surfer '98, late Marvel 2099AD-quality
artwork, and an uninspired story conceived by J.M DeMatteis
(on one of his off-days, clearly!) and told by Tom DeFalco at
his most uninspired.

Nana Yaw Ofori

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
In article <ORACII-1009...@maxreader.bsd.uchicago.edu>,
ORA...@aol.com (ORAC) wrote:

> Too bad I'm at work right now, or I could leaf through my collection and
> find what I thought to be the worst Marvel of all. Maybe later; it might
> be an amusing project. One possibility is that book that featured the
> teenaged Franklin Richards and a bunch of other teen superheros, but I
> don't remember the name. I think it was Power Pack or something like that.

Fantastic Force, I believe. Power Pack was about a four super-powered
kids with tne last name "Power."

--
==================== nof...@pop3.utoledo.edu ========================
Nana-Yaw "The Fish" Ofori,Freelance Soldier of Heck, presenty serving
><{{"> Legion, Party of six thousand. Smoking or Non? <"}}><
Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/~maltesh
In Nomine: Triad 317 http://members.tripod.com/~maltesh/T317
=== ><{{"> ======= "Life's a Fish, then you Fry." ======== <"}}>< ===

Paulo Costa

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

Spiningboy <spini...@aol.com> escreveu no artigo
<199809100237...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> Hey, Alan!
>
> Here are a few suggestions:
>
> Night Cat
> The Marvel Fumetti Book
> Strikeforce Morituri
> Black Goliath
> Force Works
> Night Nurse
> Fallen Angels
> Street Poet Ray

Alf, Mad Dog, Meteor Man, Skrull Kill Krew, Silver Sable & The Wild Pack,
Hellstorm, Secret Defenders, Wonder Man, Marvel Comics Presents.

--
Paulo Costa
I'll get you yet, even if it's the last thing I do.

Tim Norton

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

Paulo Costa wrote in message <01bddcbe$7cbd0020$LocalHost@default>...

>Spiningboy <spini...@aol.com> escreveu no artigo
><199809100237...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
>> Hey, Alan!
>>
>> Here are a few suggestions:
>>
>> Night Cat
>> The Marvel Fumetti Book
>> Strikeforce Morituri
>> Black Goliath
>> Force Works
>> Night Nurse
>> Fallen Angels
>> Street Poet Ray
>
>Alf, Mad Dog, Meteor Man, Skrull Kill Krew, Silver Sable & The Wild Pack,
>Hellstorm, Secret Defenders, Wonder Man, Marvel Comics Presents.

Hey, let's toss the Abominations in there. Oh, and any random Heroes Reborn
title.

Tim

armso...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
In article <35f7cc5c...@news.newsguy.com>,

Secret Defenders wasn't so bad, and I didn't see Thor/SS '98, but my vote for
worst Marvel title ever is Liefeld's version of Craptain America. Want to
see Steve Rogers in a bad remake of Total Recall with pitiful art thrown in
for good measure? If so, get thee to the quarter bins, there's lots of 'em
left!

Happy Birthday,

Bubba

Siva

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
> In article <35f71e14.0@news>, "Brad Douglas" <pet...@sockets.net> wrote:
>
> >My vote goes for "Secret Defenders." What a stinker that was. I could not
> >comprehend that title at all. What's sad is that I stuck through the end
> >just to see if it got worse. Ya betta believe it did ! Dr. Druid took over
> >the team from Dr. Strange. Wow that series was so bad!
>
> Oh man, I forgot about that one. You're right; it was a total stinker,
> absolute dreck, although I'm not sure that it was *the* worst that
> Marvel's ever produced. It would definitely be on my top five list,
> though.

Secret Defenders takes the cake. How about that great scene where Dr
Strange teleports the Punisher into his house and says, "I'm Dr Strange."
Frank replies, "I don't believe in Dr Strange." Huh?! The guy just
tewleported you into his house!

K.

Dewm

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
power pachyderms.

Alan Travis wrote in message <35F726...@earthlink.net>...

>Brad Douglas wrote:
>
>> What series in Marvel's history do you think was the all time worst?
>

>Steeltown Rockers
>

>---Alan

David Walker

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
I just paid all of $2 for the three issues of Abominations. You're
right, it blows.

NFL SuperPro was just plain stupid.

Force Works was the ugliest thing I've ever looked at. I just could
NOT get through it.

Alf will someday be recognized for the fine work that it is. Ha!

ma...@ventana.com

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
In article <#6rlVHP3...@ntawwabp.compuserve.com>,
How about NFL Pro or Super NFL or whatever the title was. Some football guy
dresses up in his game uniform and joines Spidey in batteling bad guys
No. I'm *not* kidding.

Tim Roll-Pickering

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Nana Yaw Ofori wrote:

> > Too bad I'm at work right now, or I could leaf through my collection and
> > find what I thought to be the worst Marvel of all. Maybe later; it might
> > be an amusing project. One possibility is that book that featured the
> > teenaged Franklin Richards and a bunch of other teen superheros, but I
> > don't remember the name. I think it was Power Pack or something like that.
>
> Fantastic Force, I believe. Power Pack was about a four super-powered
> kids with tne last name "Power."

Didn't Franklin serve in the Power Pack as 'Tattletale'?

Tim Norton

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

David Walker wrote in message
<6t9f6p$24ka$3...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>...

The Human Fly from the early 80's also comes to mind, ranks up there with
SuperPro.
Before the switch to Heroes Reborn/Return, the Avengers were sucking rocks.
The first few issues of McFarlan's Spider Man were tedious. And, anything
by Leifield bites the big one, in my book. I have stacks of stuff that just
wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

Tim

Deviant

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Hmmm...that was NFL Super Pro or something right???

-Deviant

Crisis of Infinite Coyles

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
Brad Douglas wrote:

> >Alan Travis wrote:
> How about either Silver Sable
> >and the Wild Pack or Knights of Pendragon II?
>
> I actually enjoyed the Silver Sable series. How about Terror Inc??

Terror Inc. was actually pretty good, about a quest for redemption for a
not so nice character. It was a neat crime/horror comic well written by
Dan Chichester with a sense of humor. If you like Deadpool, this is a
darker, less funny version of that.

--Dan

Dreamer

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

*Sigh* I tried. I really tried not to respond to this thread, but I have
some of my own that I remember (but man, this one's bringing back
memories)

I agree with a few of those mentioned before. (Skull Kill Krew,
NFLSuperpro) But I had to add a few of my own that amost made me give up
comic reading altogether.

Dakota North
X-Force post-Nicieza.
Any Ultraverse title after Black September.
Night Man/ Gambit

Abd my personal nuke.

Mort the Dead Teenager.

Ick.

Just ick...

Dreamer

"All her life, she had believed people who daydreamed were weak and
mindless fools. Now she knew she was wrong. There was strength to be
found in dreams. Lots of it. And when there was nothing else in
life-only violence and the fear of it-the strength drawn from make believe
worlds was enough to carry on."

-J.V. Jones
"Master and Fool"

Brad Douglas

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

Fantastic Force was terrible. I hated that book! Plus the Exiles book from
Malibu,which had the Juggernaut in it. What a stinker! Also the
Badrock/Spider-Man team up. This was a cross-company thang with Liefeld. Oh
man that was bad. And I love Spidey!

Brad Douglas
pet...@sockets.net
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/7930/

Aaron Thall

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.980910...@shell.monmouth.com>,

Fantastic Force
Fantastic Four Unlimited(for ignoring continuity blatantly)
War Machine once he got the alien warwear
Iron Manual(good for explaining, but very dull)
Any STAR title except Masters of the Universe
Sleepwalker

Spiningboy

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
Does anyone remember "Brute Force?"

Sadly, I do.

I've often wondered if I'm the only person in the world who actually purchased
those comics.

They sucked on a "once in a lifetime" level.

Randy Tischler

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
Brad Douglas wrote:

> What series in Marvel's history do you think was the all time worst?

I must say that I've enjoyed reading this entire thread, because a ton of the
stuff that I pick up in runs in the $.25 bins were mentioned, and I end up
enjoying them somewhat (but I'd probably be pissed if I payed anything more for
them, much less cover price).

I must say, though, I think NFL SuperPro is dumb as HELL. I was GIVEN a copy
of issue #1, and I couldn't stand it! How many issues did that run???
Hopefully no more than that.

The other title that I've picked up that I was POed I'd even payed a quarter a
pop for, which I haven't seen mentioned here, were the Avengers Unplugged and
Fantastic Four Unplugged series. Jesus! "Hey, there's someone who is known as
a notorious villain and, wow, a whole wedding consisting of villains! Let's
trash 'em! Whoops! Maybe we shouldn't have done that after all...perhaps we
should leave now..." UGH.

I don't like most Marvel UK stuff I put my hands on (though I did enjoy
Motormouth). I had a hard time reading much of the Fantastic Force stuff, and
the Secret Defenders too. Early Dazzler was painful. The "new" Captain Marvel
(Genis) series stuff I read was corny as hell. I've hated pretty much every
X-Men Unlimited for the past N years (but probably moreso because they had
little to do with anything else going on in the X-Universe). Did someone say
Solarman? 8-)

Randy

FabNic

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
>> Here are a few suggestions:
>>
>> Night Cat
>> The Marvel Fumetti Book
>> Strikeforce Morituri
>> Black Goliath
>> Force Works
>> Night Nurse
>> Fallen Angels
>> Street Poet Ray
>
>Alf, Mad Dog, Meteor Man, Skrull Kill Krew, Silver Sable & The Wild Pack,
>Hellstorm, Secret Defenders, Wonder Man, Marvel Comics Presents.
>
>--
>Paulo Costa

HEY -- I edited some of those stinkers -- I mean comic books -- and although I
would personally vote for STREET POET RAY (and having him show up IN PERSON at
a Marvel Distributer's Meeting some years ago was the "highlight" of the
meeting!), I have to defend some of the titles I edited --

Hellstorm -- after a rocky start, i think Len Kaminski was doing some good
stuff along with Peter Gross -- and then Warren Ellis and Leonardo Manco did
some really cool stuff too
Mad Dog -- yeah, the "gritty superhero" side of it wasn't too good, but the
parody flip stuff by Ty Templeton was simply some of the FUNNIEST comic
material published EVER
Wonder Man -- although not the greatest title ever, it certainly wasn't one of
the worst -- I thought it had some good issues -- especially the Galactic Storm
issues

Now that i'm done defending my mediocre editorial skills, let's talk some more
about Street Poet Ray...

:-)

-- fabian
(just happy I haven't seen any titles I WROTE on anyone's list... YET...)

FabNic

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
> I think NFL SuperPro is dumb as HELL. I was GIVEN a copy
>of issue #1, and I couldn't stand it!

Okay, okay, I'm caught.
But on a technicality, although i wrote the special and the first four issues,
I didn't CREATE the thing -- i just came in on a rush assignment to help them
out when they were having trouble getting storylines approved by NFL.
And i'll admit -- i did it because i expected to get some free tix to football
games (especially the Superbowl). And all i got out of it were 2 tix to a
Jets/Colts game (back when the Jets REALLY sucked). They lost to the Colts at
HOME by like 30 points. Just horrible.

Hmmm... let's get back to Street Poet Ray why don't we...
:-)

--fabian

ORAC

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
In article <nofori-1009...@131.183.73.175>,

nof...@pop3.utoledo.edu (Nana Yaw Ofori) wrote:

>In article <ORACII-1009...@maxreader.bsd.uchicago.edu>,

>ORA...@aol.com (ORAC) wrote:
>
>> Too bad I'm at work right now, or I could leaf through my collection and
>> find what I thought to be the worst Marvel of all. Maybe later; it might
>> be an amusing project. One possibility is that book that featured the
>> teenaged Franklin Richards and a bunch of other teen superheros, but I
>> don't remember the name. I think it was Power Pack or something like that.
>
> Fantastic Force, I believe. Power Pack was about a four super-powered
>kids with tne last name "Power."

I think you're right. It's all coming back to me now. What an awful book.
I checked it out for about three or four issues and gave it up...

pm...@vms.cis.pitt.edu

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
In article <35f81876.0@news>, "Brad Douglas" <pet...@sockets.net> writes:

> Fantastic Force was terrible. I hated that book! Plus the Exiles book from
> Malibu,which had the Juggernaut in it. What a stinker! Also the
> Badrock/Spider-Man team up. This was a cross-company thang with Liefeld. Oh
> man that was bad. And I love Spidey!

Of course it's hard to give a definitive opinion since I never even picked up a
lot of titles that looked like crap. Of the one's I didn't avoid, I would offer
the following:

1) Avengers vol II 1-6(7?-- Until the time Liefield was fired and Simonson took
over as writer). The art was total crap and there were no stories. It did lead
up to a classic moment, however, when Simonson had the real Thor show up and
beat the crap out of the Liefield Thor.

2) Force Works 1-4 .Eventually the book became readable, but issue 1 was the
biggest load of crap I had seen up to that time. An ill concieved idea poorly
executed.

3) X-factor from about 125-150. Lame art for the most part. Incomprehensible
stories. How they could take a solid book with interesting (albeit second
string) characters and drive it so totally into the ground was criminal. Let's
get rid of the characters that people like and make the book fun to read and
let's bring Sabretooth and Mystique and Bishop's hologram sister. And let's make
Havok bad for real, but not really. I'm staying away from Mutant X which sounds
even worse.

--Patrick in Pgh

Freshie

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:53:04 -0400, Dreamer
<dre...@shell.monmouth.com> wrote:

>X-Force post-Nicieza.

I hope you mean X-Force post-FabNic pre-John Frances Moore.

paranoia: the choice of a tech generation
http://www.silly.com/~tang

Tim Norton

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98

Freshie wrote in message <35f959da....@client.ne.news.psi.net>...

>On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:53:04 -0400, Dreamer
><dre...@shell.monmouth.com> wrote:
>
>>X-Force post-Nicieza.
>
>I hope you mean X-Force post-FabNic pre-John Frances Moore.

I don't think I ever picked up a book from the X-Force, X-Factor, X-Man or
Cable series that I liked. Of course these were random pickings, but I
never enjoyed the issues I read.

Tim

Ray Smo

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98

>>> Night Cat
>>> The Marvel Fumetti Book
>>> Strikeforce Morituri
>>> Black Goliath
>>> Force Works
>>> Night Nurse
>>> Fallen Angels
>>> Street Poet Ray
>>
>>Alf, Mad Dog, Meteor Man, Skrull Kill Krew, Silver Sable & The Wild Pack,
>>Hellstorm, Secret Defenders, Wonder Man, Marvel Comics Presents.

At the risk of being flamebait, i actually liked a few of those. Marvel
Fumetti was a fun little lark, along the lines of Fandom Confidential (?).
Skrull Kill Krew felt like a good (relatively speaking) summer flick. Wonder
Man was great, written by a great writer, Gerard Jones. And MCP really had
it's moments, especially those introducing two of my all time fave books:
Damage Control and Nth Man.

However I've never ever been tempted to pick up my Spellbound LS after it's
initial reading. And any Howard the Duck after Gerber reeks to high heaven.

Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Raymond Smotherman
Ray S...@AOL.com

Freshie

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98

Well the point being that you may not like JFM's run on X-Force, which
I think is very good stuff, but it should be far from being mentioned
in the worst books ever.

However I can see mentioning Loeb's run in there.

>Tim

Paul O'Brien

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
In article <6tbl8j$2vj$1...@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,
pm...@vms.cis.pitt.edu writes

>1) Avengers vol II 1-6(7?-- Until the time Liefield was fired and Simonson took
>over as writer). The art was total crap and there were no stories. It did lead
>up to a classic moment, however, when Simonson had the real Thor show up and
>beat the crap out of the Liefield Thor.

There's a lot more to admire about Simonson's Avengers Vol 2 than
that, actually. He took a load of virtually incomprehensible gibberish,
inherited it in midflow, and actually managed to run with all the
ludicrous plots he'd been handed. And make them work. That's
really impressive in my book.

Paul O'Brien
pa...@esoterica.demon.co.uk, www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~prob/

Long live the UK music scene.

Paul O'Brien

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
In article <199809111346...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, FabNic
<fab...@aol.com> writes

>HEY -- I edited some of those stinkers -- I mean comic books -- and although I
>would personally vote for STREET POET RAY (and having him show up IN PERSON at
>a Marvel Distributer's Meeting some years ago was the "highlight" of the
>meeting!)

How is the great artiste these days? Working for Hallmark, I assume?

DwayneM595

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
Fabian said:

> I think NFL SuperPro is dumb as HELL. I was GIVEN a copy
>>of issue #1, and I couldn't stand it!
>
>Okay, okay, I'm caught.
>But on a technicality, although i wrote the special and the first four issues,
>I didn't CREATE the thing -- i just came in on a rush assignment to help
>them
>out when they were having trouble getting storylines approved by NFL.

Sorry Fabe. Not even close. Street Poet Ray. Nightcat. Air Raiders. The unholy
trinity.

Dwayne McDuffie

Dreamer

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Freshie wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:53:04 -0400, Dreamer
> <dre...@shell.monmouth.com> wrote:
>
> >X-Force post-Nicieza.
>
> I hope you mean X-Force post-FabNic pre-John Frances Moore.

Ack! You're right, I did mean that. I just /recently/ picked up an
X-Force issue again, once I learned Pollina finally left for good.

But, the Loeb/Pollina issues..."Ok, let's take everything Fabe did over
the past 3 years, and ignore it..."

I'm stopping now. Even now, thinking about it makes me want to Rant...