Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

DC COMICS ONLINE NEWSLETTER 2/5/99

Visto 1 vez
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

DCWe...@aol.com

no leída,
6 feb 1999, 3:00:006/2/99
DC COMICS ONLINE NEWSLETTER 2/5/99
www.dccomics.com / Keyword: DCComics

THIS WEEK ON DC ONLINE

Let's talk about what's new and different at dccomics.com. Let's talk about
60 new covers in the Download area, all suitable for personal screen poster
treatment. Let's talk about 100 new Direct Currents pages. Let's talk about
DC Comics for Kids, the perfect Web site for your younger sisters and
brothers, nieces and nephews, sons and daughters, and friends. Let's talk
about madmag.com, new and improved and enriched with more MADness than ever.

But why waste time talking about it? Log on to dccomics.com and experience
the newness for yourself!

Special guests in the DC chat rooms this week include Tom Peyer and Tony
Bedard, writer and editor of HOURMAN. Live at AOL keyword CHATDC Thursday,
February 11 at 8:00 pm EST.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

NEWS BYTES

CHUCK DIXON, JAMES ROBINSON, BRETT BOOTH, JOHN DELL, JOSE-LUIS
GARCIA-LOPEZ SIGN EXCLUSIVE CONTRACTS WITH DC

DC Comics is pleased to announce that, with the new year, it has signed
even more of the industry's best talents to exclusive contracts, with
Chuck Dixon, James Robinson, Brett Booth, John Dell, and Jose-Luis
Garcia-Lopez joining the ever-growing roster of DC-exclusive
freelancers. And together with these new additions, the
already-exclusive Michael Lark, Ted McKeever and Greg Land all have
renewed their contracts through this year.

Chuck Dixon has already been devoting almost all of his comics-writing
time to DC projects, and with the addition of the new ongoing BIRDS OF
PREY and the miniseries CONJURORS to his acclaimed ongoing title
NIGHTWING, Dixon's exclusive contract almost is superfluous. "Chuck has
always been one of the most prolific writers in comics -- perhaps the
most prolific," says Jordan Gorfinkel, Dixon's editor on BIRDS OF PREY.
"This year, we have the good fortune to consolidate all of his talents
and energies, which will no doubt result in even grander and more varied
stories in the classic Dixon style. And while he consistently delivers
great work no matter what company he's working for, now there's only one
place to get him: DC Comics." According to Dixon himself, "I can't think
of a better place to have an exclusive than DC Comics. It's sort of
become my home for the last seven years, and I guess it's time we made
it official."

Having just renewed his own exclusive contract, Dixon's penciller on
BIRDS OF PREY Greg Land appreciates the time that it affords him. "I'm
trying to put as much as I can into BIRDS OF PREY," says Land, "and
since Chuck puts the characters in such unique situations, there's a
good bit of research to be done in terms of the locations and vehicles
involved. I need as much time as possible to make everything look
correct for the story, and that fits in well with the exclusive."

James Robinson's incredible storytelling abilities have made him one of
the industry's favorite writers, and those abilities have been displayed
to their best effect in his work at DC. According to Peter Tomasi,
Robinson's editor on STARMAN as well as all of the titles in the
upcoming "The Justice Society Returns!" and the new monthly JSA title
that will follow it, Robinson's love of comics is the driving force
behind all of his graphic work. "With his burgeoning screenwriting
career, James doesn't have to be writing comics to make a living,"
explains Tomasi. "It's purely a love for the characters and the medium
that keeps him at it, which is lucky for all of us who appreciate really
good comics." The exclusive contract with DC helps to ensure that while
his Hollywood career continues to rise, Robinson will continue to bring
readers some of the best comics money can buy.

Brett Booth, whose work as both co-writer and penciller on the WildStorm
titles WILDCORE and BACKLASH brought him quickly to the attention of
comics fans everywhere, is the first WildStorm freelancer to go
exclusive with DC. As he explains, "I've got projects lined up for the
rest of this year, so I figured why not? I had already been under
exclusive contract to WildStorm for two and a half years, so I'm used to
it." Under his new contract, Booth is currently working on a Prestige
one-shot tentatively titled BACKLASH/TABOO: AFRICAN VACATION as well as
a new 4-issue KINDRED miniseries.

John Dell has been part of the phenomenon known as JLA from its
beginning, and his inking over penciller (and fellow exclusive
contractor) Howard Porter has garnered him considerable praise, as well
as the satisfaction of helping to create one of the best-selling comics
currently on the shelves. For him, the exclusive contract is a practical
matter: "I'm married, I got two kids and a mortgage, and it's a big
security blanket to have a contract like this that says, 'We'll keep you
busy and we're happy to have you with us.'"

Jose-Luis Garcia-Lopez -- a veteran artist on the Superman family of
titles -- reports that this wasn't his first opportunity to sign an
exclusive contract with DC, but now that he has signed, the contract
hasn't changed anything about his relationship with DC except to put it
down on paper. "I've worked pretty exclusively for DC for more than
twenty years," says Garcia-Lopez, "and my relationship with the company
has been so good I didn't think I needed the contract. But after so many
years, it seemed like I might as well do it. Now the contract is there,
but everything is the same as before." Readers can look forward to more
of Garcia-Lopez with an upcoming Superman Elseworlds one-shot.

Chuck Dixon and Greg Land's work is now on display in BIRDS OF PREY. In
addition, DC's backlist is studded with work by Dixon, including the
trade paperback collections NIGHTWING: A NIGHT IN BLUDHAVEN, BIRDS OF
PREY, ROBIN: A HERO REBORN, THE JOKER: DEVIL'S ADVOCATE, and BATMAN VS.
PREDATOR III: BLOOD TIES. A wealth of James Robinson's stories are also
available, including the collections STARMAN: SINS OF THE FATHER,
STARMAN: NIGHT AND DAY, STARMAN: A WICKED INCLINATION..., THE GOLDEN
AGE, and WITCHCRAFT. John Dell's amazing inking can be seen in four
collections of the acclaimed JLA, JLA: NEW WORLD ORDER, JLA: AMERICAN
DREAMS, JLA: ROCK OF AGES, and JLA: STRENGTH IN NUMBERS, as well as the
aforementioned BIRDS OF PREY collection.

**********

KIDS' WB! ORDERS 13 MORE EPISODES OF BATMAN BEYOND

On January 20, Susanne Daniels, President of Entertainment for The WB,
announced that based on the overwhelming response to the initial airings
of Batman Beyond on The WB's primetime line-up and on Kids WB!, the
network has ordered 13 additional episodes of the all-new series which
will be ready for the start of the 1999-2000 season.

On January 10th, Batman Beyond premiered with a special primetime "sneak
peek" which gave The WB its second highest rating since launch in the
Sunday 7:00-8:00 pm time period in the overnight markets. The Caped
Crusader catapulted the hour to a 4.2 rating/6 share compared to the 3.5
rating/6 share the time period has been averaging this season,
representing a +20% boost in rating over the time period average.

"Batman Beyond has the potential to be the next great daytime animated
franchise, and the ratings results of its first two airings energizes
the entire Kids' WB! network," said Daniels. "The show's success is a
testament to Jean MacCurdy and the talented producers working on this
series at Warner Bros. Animation."

"We're absolutely thrilled that this futuristic new Batman is making an
impression with young viewers," said Jean MacCurdy, President of Warner
Bros. Television Animation. "Warner Bros.' talented producing team of
Alan Burnett, Paul Dini and Bruce Timm envisioned a character that will
surely take kids on adventures far 'beyond' what their parents ever
dreamed of... or, as Scott Williams from the Washington Post put it:
'This is not your father's Batman!'"

Following its powerful primetime performance, Batman Beyond premiered in
its Kids' WB! Saturday morning timeslot (9:30 am) matching this season's
best rating/share in the overnight markets (3.6/10) and eclipsing its
season-to-date time period average by +44% rating/+43% share. This new
ground-breaking chapter in the legendary Dark Knight's life shot past
Fox Kids' Power Rangers in Space (2.0/6) by +80% rating/+67% share and
tied ABC's Disney's One Saturday Morning in the 9:30-10:00 AM time
period.

In the overnight markets, Batman Beyond propelled Kids' WB! to claim the
#1 spot on KTLA-TV in Los Angeles (5.3/14), on WPHL-TV in Philadelphia
(4.4/12), WBZL-TV in Miami (4.4/11) and WNOL-TV in New Orleans (2.7/7).
The show ranked #2 in its timeslot on WPIX-TV in New York (5.3/15),
KBWB-TV in San Francisco (3.1/11), WLVI-TV in Boston (2.5/8), KDAF-TV in
Dallas (4.5/13), WBNX-TV in Cleveland (3.8/11), KLGT-TV in Minneapolis
(3.6/12), KPLR-TV in St. Louis (5.6/14), WKCF-TV in Orlando (4.3/12),
WNUV-TV in Baltimore (4.4/11), KSWB-TV in San Diego (3.5/11) and KRRT-TV
in San Antonio (4.1/10).

**********

GREEN LANTERN ARRIVES ON THE NEW BATMAN/SUPERMAN ADVENTURES

This Saturday, February 6, the second episode of The New Batman/Superman
Adventures (8:30 am Eastern and Pacific times on the WB network -- check
your local listings) is a brand-new episode entitled "In Brightest Day",
and features the first appearance of Green Lantern in the animated world
of Superman.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

COMING COMICS, IN STORES FEBRUARY 10

For more information on these and other titles, be sure to visit DIRECT
CURRENTS ONLINE at dccomics.com.

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #566
Superman launches an unprecedented attack on Lex Luthor!

ANIMANIACS FEATURING PINKY AND THE BRAIN #47
In "Brainita" Pinky & Brain sing and dress in drag.

AZRAEL: AGENT OF THE BAT #51
Azrael is struck by his limitations after years of relying on his old
suit's "gifts".

BATMAN: SHADOW OF THE BAT #84
Part Two of "Fear of Faith".

THE BOOKS OF MAGIC #59
Tim and Thomas plan to deal with the murderous Other, while Tim's father
spirals further into despair. Mature.

CRIMSON #8
Scarlett talks to Alex about what the future has in store for them, and
Ekimus visits Alex's father.

GREEN LANTERN #111
Fatality -- the Green Lantern killer -- is back, and more dangerous than
ever.

HOURMAN #1
To help Hourman be more human, the JLA introduces him to Snapper Carr.

THE HUMAN TARGET #1
Christopher Chance is the smooth but lethal master of impersonation
called the Human Target. When Chance embarks on a routine case, he
discovers that there's a bounty on the Human Target himself, and a
lethal female assassin intends to collect it. Mature.

IMPULSE #47
Guest-starring Superman and Superboy!

LEGENDS OF THE DC UNIVERSE #15
Part One of "Dark Matters" starring Silver Age Flash Barry Allen!

LEGIONNAIRES #70
Rokk (Cosmic Boy) Krinn's corrupt Magnoball coach seeks revenge on his
former player.

MAD SUPER SPECIAL #135
Give us one good reason why you don't want to pick up this collection!

THE MINX #7
Conclusion of the 4-part "The Monkey Quartet". Mature.

THE NEW TEEN TITANS ARCHIVES Volume 1
Reprinting the earliest appearances of the New Teen Titans from DC
COMICS PRESENTS #26 and THE NEW TEEN TITANS #1-8, with a brand-new
cover by George Perez!

NIGHTWING #30
Superman drops by to help tidy up, as many of Gotham City's undesirables
have moved to Bludhaven since the quake.

RESURRECTION MAN #23
Is this the end of Resurrection Man and the beginning of Resurrection
Woman?

THE SANDMAN: THE DOLL'S HOUSE hc new printing
Reprinting THE SANDMAN #9-16.

TITANS #2
Continuing the saga of the full-time Superman: The newly formed team has
a meddling Kryptonian who won't allow them the chance to shine against
the deadly new H.I.V.E.

TRANSMETROPOLITAN #20
Part Two of "The New Scum". Mature.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

ANIMATION EPISODE SCHEDULE

Warner Bros. Animation has supplied us with the following air schedule,
which is subject to change. THE NEW BATMAN/SUPERMAN ADVENTURES airs
weekdays and Saturdays on the WB Network. Times given are Eastern and
Pacific time.

2/8/99 (4:00 pm) -- "Heavy Metal" (Superman)
2/8/99 (4:30 pm) -- "The Lion & the Unicorn" (Batman)

2/9/99 (4:00 pm) -- "Baby-Doll" (Batman)
2/9/99 (4:30 pm) -- "Brave New Metropolis" (Superman)

2/10/99 (4:00 pm) -- "Blasts from the Past Part 1" (Superman)
2/10/99 (4:30 pm) -- "Blasts from the Past Part 2" (Superman)

2/11/99 (4:00 pm) -- "Monkey Fun" (Superman)
2/11/99 (4:30 pm) -- "Heart of Ice" (Batman)

2/12/99 (4:00 pm) -- "On Leather Wings" (Batman)
2/12/99 (4:30 pm) -- "Joker's Millions" (Batman)

2/13/99 (8:00 am) -- "Love Is a Croc" (Batman)
2/13/99 (8:30 am) -- "Obsession" (Superman)
2/13/99 (9:30 am) -- "Meltdown" (Batman Beyond)

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

DC COMICS EMAIL ADDRESSES

* Please include your email address in all correspondence.
* Please DO NOT send us samples of your work through DC Comics Online. If you
do, DC will not be responsible for similarities between your submissions and
any work later published by DC.
* If you're writing regarding a specific comic book title, please include that
title in your subject line.
* We might publish your letter in the future if you do not include the phrase
"Not for Publication".
* Unfortunately, we can't respond to every single letter, but we promise that
the appropriate person will see your letter.

Letters to the Editor:
Superman & Related Titles: DCOSu...@aol.com
Batman & Related Titles: DCOBa...@aol.com
Other DC Universe Titles: DCODC...@aol.com
Vertigo Titles: DCOV...@aol.com
MAD Magazine: DCOMa...@aol.com

Other DC Addresses:
DC Comics Website/Online Newsletter: DCWe...@aol.com
DC Comics General (Not covered by above addresses): DCCO...@aol.com

Copyright (c) 1999 DC Comics. This newsletter, individual News Bytes and
Coming Comics descriptions, and the Animation Episode Schedules may be
reproduced without alteration, deletion, or addition and further
distributed in print or electronically solely for noncommercial purposes
provided the following credit line accompanies such reproduction: "From
the DC Comics Online Newsletter (http://www.dccomics.com)."

0 mensajes nuevos