THE INVISIBLES: the movie

Spriggn

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

After reading the thread on casting for a Hellblazer movie and hearing
about the BBC's current production of the INVISIBLES TV show (they'll
eat it alive like they did Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, I just know it), I
can't help but wonder...
Who would Hollywood cast in the cinema version of THE INVISIBLES?

Opinions?

Mr. Whisper

MrWhisper

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98
to spr...@webzone.net

Testing, bitch. Testing

Jesse Kulenski

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

> After reading the thread on casting for a Hellblazer movie and hearing
> about the BBC's current production of the INVISIBLES TV show (they'll
> eat it alive like they did Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, I just know it), I
> can't help but wonder...
> Who would Hollywood cast in the cinema version of THE INVISIBLES?
>
> Opinions?

Grant Morrison as King Mob and Jill Thompson as Ragged Robin.

Mike Myers in Austin Powers-mode would be cool as Gideon Stargrave

-Jesse K.

--
"The future is available now, it's just not evenly distributed."
-William Gibson

"My job is to make fun of EVERYONE, it comes from knowing that I'm the
biggest joke of all."
-Jello Biafra

Rellby55

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

>After reading the thread on casting for a Hellblazer movie and hearing
>about the BBC's current production of the INVISIBLES TV show (they'll
>eat it alive like they did Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, I just know it), I
>can't help but wonder...
> Who would Hollywood cast in the cinema version of THE INVISIBLES?

KING MOB - Roger Daltry (when in his prime)

RAGGED ROBIN - Kate Winslet

LORD FANNY - Antonio Bandaras

JACK FROST - Ewan MacGregor

BOY - Jada Pinkett

Tom Coates

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

Ooooooh - I like this kind of thing. And yes you are right - the BBC will
fuck it up.

Boy - Angela Bassett (?) Female cop from "Strange Days"
King Mob - Tim Roth might not be too bad, although he's a little short.
Obviously with shaven head. Otherwise I can't think of anyone...
Ragged Robin - NOT NICOLE KIDMAN - how about an older Molly Ringwald?
Lord Fanny - RuPaul (ick NO!)
Jolly Roger - Demi Moore (snigger)
Jack Frost - the lead guy from The Crow Road would be good if he wasn't
Scottish - althuogh a bit of licence would probably be OK in light of
Trainspotting etc.

Adeheathen

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

In article <Sun, 04 Jan 1998 19:23:14 -0600>, Mr Whisper writes:

>After reading the thread on casting for a Hellblazer movie and hearing
>about the BBC's current production of the INVISIBLES TV show (they'll
>eat it alive like they did Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, I just know it)

But Neverwhere was written for TV (Lenny Henry's co.) so it was meant to look
that way. There's a history of such TV programmes from Blakes 7 to The
Hitchhiker's Guide and I think Neil was after that ambience.

As for the TV show - woo!
Friends of Infinite Earths

Tannhauser

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

On 5 Jan 1998, Rellby55 wrote:

> >After reading the thread on casting for a Hellblazer movie and hearing
> >about the BBC's current production of the INVISIBLES TV show (they'll

> >eat it alive like they did Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, I just know it), I

Help me out...wasn't neverwhere a TV series first and a novel
second?

Mr_Whisper

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

> But Neverwhere was written for TV (Lenny Henry's co.) so it was meant to look
> that way. There's a history of such TV programmes from Blakes 7 to The
> Hitchhiker's Guide and I think Neil was after that ambience.
>
> As for the TV show - woo!
> Friends of Infinite Earths

Ambience? You gotta be kidding me? If it was so stellar why is the man
looking to have Denise Di Novi (of Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns
and Black Stallion fame) produce it with puppets by Jim Henson
productions? It was horrible. They turned what was otherwise an
excellent story for the small screen into a community college drama with
bad actors and crummy cinematography. I shudder to think of those same
hands fondling Grant's baby. Pleeech.

Mr. Whisper

Michael Sinclair Wright

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

:
: >After reading the thread on casting for a Hellblazer movie and hearing

: >about the BBC's current production of the INVISIBLES TV show (they'll
: >eat it alive like they did Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, I just know it)
:
: But Neverwhere was written for TV (Lenny Henry's co.) so it was meant to look

: that way. There's a history of such TV programmes from Blakes 7 to The
: Hitchhiker's Guide and I think Neil was after that ambience.
:
Well, Neil would have preferred it if it was shot on film ratherthan
video, which would have seriously improved the ambience. Unfortunately it
costs more, and the BBC weren't prepared to spend that on it. This is
according to Neil at a signing of the novel when the series was being
shown.

Mike w

Adeheathen

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

In article <34B50A...@rocketmail.com>, Mr_Whisper
<mr_wh...@rocketmail.com> writes:
(re Neverwhere on TV)

>Ambience? You gotta be kidding me? If it was so stellar why is the man
>looking to have Denise Di Novi (of Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns
>and Black Stallion fame) produce it with puppets by Jim Henson
>productions?

Answer: to make it different.

Has anyone heard the CD, does it compare with Hitchhikers GTTG ?
Friends of Infinite Earths

Andrew Wheeler

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

Tannhauser wrote:

> On 5 Jan 1998, Rellby55 wrote:
>
> > >After reading the thread on casting for a Hellblazer movie and hearing
> > >about the BBC's current production of the INVISIBLES TV show (they'll
> > >eat it alive like they did Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, I just know it), I
>
> Help me out...wasn't neverwhere a TV series first and a novel
> second?

It was indeed. But still, the BBC did ruin the concept. Man.

Andrew Wheeler - It coulda bin something. It coulda bin a contender.
Some people will dance when they don't know who's singing.
Why ask your head? It's your hips that are swinging!
Life's for us to enjoy; woman, man, girl and boy;
Feel the pain, feel the joy,
And sidestep the little bits of history repeating.

Tannhauser

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

On 9 Jan 1998, Adeheathen wrote:

> In article <34B50A...@rocketmail.com>, Mr_Whisper
> <mr_wh...@rocketmail.com> writes:
> (re Neverwhere on TV)
> >Ambience? You gotta be kidding me? If it was so stellar why is the man
> >looking to have Denise Di Novi (of Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns
> >and Black Stallion fame) produce it with puppets by Jim Henson
> >productions?
>
> Answer: to make it different.

Could one not simply bury it in a lead-lined container in the Blue
Peter gardens? Despite some cute premises, Neverwhere was in general
rather embarrassing. Mind you, a sequel involving some otrher
literally-intrerpreted tube stations (say, Swiss Cottage and Bank) might
be more rewarding.

apk...@hotmail.com

Sep 28, 2017, 6:07:34 AM9/28/17
On Sunday, January 4, 1998 at 6:30:00 PM UTC+10:30, Spriggn wrote:
> After reading the thread on casting for a Hellblazer movie and hearing
> about the BBC's current production of the INVISIBLES TV show (they'll
> eat it alive like they did Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, I just know it), I
> can't help but wonder...
> Who would Hollywood cast in the cinema version of THE INVISIBLES?
>
> Opinions?
>

> Mr. Whisper

Grant Morrison as King Mob

Malcom McDowell as Sir Miles.