Dhampire

S.F.W.

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

I bought a copy of the graphic novel as soon as it came out and thought
it was absolutely brilliant. It was supposed to be followed up monthly
but so far I nor my Comic shop have heard anything about it.

Has anyone out there got any idea when/if this will be released?
--
Simon West

Currently reading :- Preacher
Hitman
House of Secrets

Pixiestix

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

Unfortunately, the series was slated to come out last Dec., but Nancy
Collins was involved in a lawsuit over those characters. As far as I
know, it hasn't been resolved yet, but maybe it has. The book was also in
trouble when her editor, Lou Stasis, fell victim to brain cancer. Not
only was he a witness in the court case, but he was also in charge of the
monthly project.
Unfortunately, the book has had it's trials, and it *may* be released at a
later date, but honestly, it's no looking that good right now.

It was a great one shot, though, that had a lot of potential as a monthly.
I hope it does see the light of day.
xx Joan

Blade of the Angels #1 out soon **interviews with Neil Gaiman, Nancy Collins and Chet Jacques!!** ** fiction** **toys!!** **comics!** **fun** to contribute, e-mail pi...@nyct.net

S.F.W.

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

In article <19970728144...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, Pixiestix
<pixi...@aol.com> writes
It will be a great shame if this book is not released as a monthly. I
presume the lawsuit had something to do with the characters bearing a
close resembelance to real or fictional characters. What were the
allegations? And if they were due to being similar to another book what
book?
I am a fan of vampire literature and mythology and would be interested
in reading anything similar.

Todd VerBeek, gwm

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

My pal Pixiestix said:
>Unfortunately, the series was slated to come out last Dec., but Nancy
>Collins was involved in a lawsuit over those characters. As far as I
>know, it hasn't been resolved yet, but maybe it has. The book was also in
>trouble when her editor, Lou Stasis, fell victim to brain cancer. Not

"Stathis" He died a few months ago.

>only was he a witness in the court case, but he was also in charge of the
>monthly project.
>Unfortunately, the book has had it's trials, and it *may* be released at a
>later date, but honestly, it's no looking that good right now.
>
>It was a great one shot, though, that had a lot of potential as a monthly.

The ending of the one-shot rather diminished my interest in a monthly
series. I don't want to spoil it, but Collins =resolved= the conflict
that I was hoping the ongoing series would be =about=.

> I hope it does see the light of day.

But... wouldn't that =kill= it? <--(a little vampire humour there)

Cheers, Todd
---
I'm an optimist: the glass is empty, but maybe =someday= it'll be half full.

syl...@concentric.net

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

S.F.W. wrote:

> In article <19970728144...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, Pixiestix
> <pixi...@aol.com> writes
> >Unfortunately, the series was slated to come out last Dec., but Nancy
> >Collins was involved in a lawsuit over those characters. As far as I
> >know, it hasn't been resolved yet, but maybe it has. The book was also in
> >trouble when her editor, Lou Stasis, fell victim to brain cancer. Not
> >only was he a witness in the court case, but he was also in charge of the
> >monthly project.
> >Unfortunately, the book has had it's trials, and it *may* be released at a
> >later date, but honestly, it's no looking that good right now.
> >
> >It was a great one shot, though, that had a lot of potential as a monthly.
> > I hope it does see the light of day.

> It will be a great shame if this book is not released as a monthly. I

> presume the lawsuit had something to do with the characters bearing a
> close resembelance to real or fictional characters. What were the
> allegations? And if they were due to being similar to another book
>what book? I am a fan of vampire literature and mythology and would
>be interested in reading anything similar.

In order to set records relatively straight, since no one at DC seems
willing to step in at this point to quell the rumors and speculation, I
will state that the problems concerning DHAMPIRE arise from a pair of
fans who claim to have sent a hand-drawn comic book to DC back in late
1994 with a vampire character who has the same name ("Nicholas Gaunt")as
my protagonist in DHAMPIRE:STILLBORN. The situation is still under legal
advisory. But(pending a ruling) there are general plans for a DHAMPIRE
follow up called HEIR APPARENT, which will take the character &
storyline into what (I hope) will be highly unexpected territory for
readers. However, I recommend that the astute consult PAINT IT BLACK
(1995), the third volume in the Sonja Blue series (available in the US
in the MIDNIGHT BLUE omnibus until next year,when the books will be
split into their seperate volumes--sorry about that) before making a
decision one way of the other.

Sincerely,

Nancy A.Collins

syl...@concentric.net

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

> >Unfortunately, the book has had it's trials, and it *may* be released
>>at a later date, but honestly, it's no looking that good right now.
> >It was a great one shot, though, that had a lot of potential as a
>>monthly.
>
> The ending of the one-shot rather diminished my interest in a monthly
> series. I don't want to spoil it, but Collins =resolved= the conflict
> that I was hoping the ongoing series would be =about=.

Much of that has to do with the fact that DHAMPIRE: STILLBORN was
originally commissioned as a one-shot graphic novel. The problems
arising from it I am tempted to assign to either the jinx of titling any
project "Stillborn" or that there is an unwritten law I'm
unawareof that horror writers are simply allowed one recurring vampire
character per career.

Sincerely,
Nancy A.Collins

syl...@concentric.net

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

Doug Waldron wrote:

> Nancy A.Collins, syl...@concentric.net wrote:
>
> >will state that the problems concerning DHAMPIRE arise from a pair of
> >fans who claim to have sent a hand-drawn comic book to DC back in late
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> As opposed to?

A published and/or professionally prepared one.Its the difference
between submitting a typed or a long-hand manuscript.

Nancy A. Collins

Scott Hollifield

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

On Mon, 04 Aug 1997 12:31:28 -0400, syl...@concentric.net wrote:
>Much of that has to do with the fact that DHAMPIRE: STILLBORN was
>originally commissioned as a one-shot graphic novel. The problems
>arising from it I am tempted to assign to either the jinx of titling any
>project "Stillborn" or that there is an unwritten law I'm
>unawareof that horror writers are simply allowed one recurring vampire
>character per career.

Hmm. I'd say that would be a pretty good law, actually.

---
Scott Hollifield * sco...@cris.com * http://www.cris.com/~scotth/

gtrib

Aug 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/6/97

> However, I recommend that the astute consult PAINT IT BLACK
> (1995), the third volume in the Sonja Blue series (available in the US
> in the MIDNIGHT BLUE omnibus until next year,when the books will be
> split into their seperate volumes--sorry about that) before making a
> decision one way of the other.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Nancy A.Collins

I know this is off topic, but is WALKING WOLF ever going to be released in
paperback?

--
To e-mail me, take the spam out of my address.

beez...@hotmail.com

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97
to scr...@interport.net

Before there was _Dhampire_, there was Joe Christ's missing dick. The
rest is history. Case history.

Re: NANCY A COLLINS SIGNINGS (UPDATE)
From: ali...@fuggles.demon.co.uk (Alison Scott)
Date: 1996/05/04
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
[More Headers]

ncoll...@aol.com (NColl22357) wrote:

>This isn't Nancy writing about herself in the third person. We share an
>e-mail address. I'm her husband, Joe Christ. In addition to my "creative"
>endeavors, I also book & promote Nancy's signings & appearances. I booked
>her lengthy (24 cities, 28 days) signing tour for her "Midnight Blue"
>omnibus, as hired by White Wolf.
>Anyway, just wanted you to know.
>Thanks,
>JOE CHRIST

OK chaps. I just wanted you all to know that I was *overwhelmed* with
the urge to follow up to this by saying

"Oh, Joe Christ; I've heard of you; *you're* the one with no penis,
aren't you?"

despite the fact that I knew it would launch us into an almighty flame
war. But I resisted.

My only excuse is that it's 2:30 am and I've just arrived home
drunkenly from the wake Faith Brooker organised for Bob Shaw, and I'm
completely plastered. But luckily still in possession of all of my
bits.

--
Alison Scott ali...@fuggles.demon.co.uk

> Hello,
> Joe Christ here...I'll be premiering a new short flick at DragonCon
> in Atlanta next week. It's called "IS IT SNUFF? YOU DECIDE!", and
> features a middle-aged housewife screen-testing for a low-budget porn
> shoot. Everything seems "normal" at first, then it turns violent.
<SNIP>

"I once tricked a girl into drinking a glass of piss….", recalled Joe
Christ in _Chic_ magazine [April 1990]—an interview which included the
following exchange:

"CHRIST: ….I had been arrested for assault. I’d punched somebody…

CHIC: Why did you punch the guy?

CHRIST: Oh, it was a girl. My ex-girlfriend had me by the hair and
wouldn’t let go;
so I kept punching her until she let go."

From: Jane Spaulding <xen...@cris.com>
Subject: Re: WHO IS JOE CHRIST?
<snip>
At 11:50 AM 5/4/96 PST, you wrote:
>Thank you for your keen interest in the continuing meta-journalistic quest for
>JOE CHRIST'S PHANTOM PHALLUS.

<SNIP> To be honest with you, Mark, this is getting to be a bit old. I
mean, after all, a man is not just his penis, is he? <snip>

Subject:
NANCY A COLLINS SAYS, "Christ, Kramer, enough!" From: ncoll...@aol.com
(NColl22357) Date: 1996/04/27 Message-Id:
<4lueal$b...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> Newsgroups: alt.comics.alternative
[More Headers]

I think most people are really tired of reading about Mark Kramer, & his
little feud with my husband, Joe Christ. I've asked Joe not to respond
anymore to this nonsense, since it only makes him look as stupid as Mark.
He agreed with me.

Mark seems to be overly concerned with my husband's genitalia. He
certainly seems to put a lot more time into thinking about Joe's penis
than even I do.

Mark: give it a rest. Everyone who knows us, knows how Joe started
this rumor himself, years ago in Dallas, when he was running short on
publicity.He thought a little bit of weird word-of-mouth would help him
in some way. When TED Klein asked me about it, and said that your friend
Margie had brought it up, I played along because that's what Joe asked me
to do, back when we first met. (People do ask, since there WAS good
word-of-mouth) Joe had told me that you believed it was true.

TED: I'm sorry that I used you as part of Joe's little game to toy
with Mark, but I only repeated what I was asked to by Joe. Even though we
have an "open" marriage, Joe still comes first with me, and I with him.
I'm still a fan of your work, and hope you'll forgive me for for making
you part of this. I didn't mean to make you out to be a fool.

As for the letter to New York Magazine, Joe was working for
Psychedelic Solution Gallery, and wrote the letter in question, as told by
his boss at the gallery, Jacaeber Kastor, who signed it. But I certainly
had nothing to do with it.

Whatever the case enough is enough! I think people want to get on with
their newsgroups, and read about only the things relevant to their
newsgroups. So, if Mark Kramer wishes to continue with his efforts,
whatever. We won't be participating any further with it.
Sincerely, Nancy A Collins

> [...]

>Christ is the anonymous schwantz-less star of his own 1995 documentary, Sex
>Blood and Mutilation.
> 'Christ prankishly maintains that the penis missing from Sex Blood and
>Mutilation belongs to some other guy--purportedly a respected businessman
>leading a secret life as a post-penectomic personality,' writes series author
>Mark Kramer in 'Rebel Without A Dick', the first installment of 'Dickless in
>Babylon: The Joe Christ Story.'
> The entire epic--15 chapters and counting--appears in Body Modification
>Ezine, www.freeq.com. (The headlines alone are worth a look: 'And The Gland
>Played On', 'Pud Simple', 'Urethra On The Bus Or Off The bus'; you get the
>idea.
>But be warned: part two, 'Uro-Trash', features a large color photo you may not
>want to see.)
> Kramer, a New York-based arts writer, has been following Christ's career
>for years. About three years ago, he wrote an article on Christ for New York
>Press that included 'an oblique mention of the penis thing.'
> 'And astonishingly', says Kramer, '[in 1995] he makes this movie with a
>guy
>with no penis.' His face is not shown, and the voice is altered. Kramer says
>one of Christ's ex-girlfriends and another independent source confirmed his
>suspicion that Christ is the memberless man. (The amputation was performed in
>an
>emergency room, Kramer says, after a cock ring was left on way too long.)
> Christ, a Philadelphia native who appeared Friday at The A-Space in West
>Philly, denies Kramer's charge. In various newsgroup postings, Christ has made
>light of Kramer's assertions, and described him as a 'tabloid journalist'--an
>apparent reference to Kramer's 1990 work for The Weekly World News. (Kramer
>points out that he's also written for the decidedly more highbrow Seven Arts.)
> In a description of Sex Blood and Mutilation on his website
>(www.taoweb.com/666/joec/), Christ says only that he likes to call the
>misguided
>lad 'Les Johnson'.
> Kramer says he and Body Modification Ezine's publisher, Shannon Larratt,
>told Christ they would kill the series immediately if he would show them the
>goods, so to speak. He declined.
> Kramer says his interest in Christ and his work are part of a larger
>mission.
> 'I am trying to decode the quasi-religions that have arisen in the wake of
>the Grateful Dead', he explains. Satirical movements never meant to be taken
>seriously, like The Church of The SubGenius--which Kramer says Christ was
>into--'have created a climate for things like Joe Christ['s work]--Hey, ain't
>murder fun? Ain't Charlie Manson cute?'
> He also feels that Christ's alleged loss has left him with a 'sexual rage'
>that explains the extreme violence and gore that defines his work.
Ø Notes Kramer, 'I know I'd be pissed off.'"

Subject: "SICK" JOE CHRIST MOVIES AVAILABLE (VHS)
From: ncoll...@aol.com (NColl22357)
Date: 1996/05/03
<snip>
"SEX BLOOD & MUTILATION" (40 mins, 1995) VHS
<snip>
you'll see
the amazing "dickless man", the one that Mark Kramer thinks is me! ----JOE
CHRIST