Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Religion in Comics

6 views
Skip to first unread message

Paul O'Brien

unread,
Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
to
In article <8uc8gb$388$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jonn...@my-deja.com writes
>Can somebody explain something that has been bugging me for a long
>time? What is the deal with religion in comics over the past 60 years
>or so?

Religions are basically mythic stories and therefore fit rather
well into a superhero mythos - as long as you're not using one that
the audience take deadly seriously, in which case they'll be mortally
offended at the trivialisation of their religious beliefs.

Paul O'Brien
THE X-AXIS REVIEWS - http://www.esoterica.demon.co.uk

From the relatively fashionable west end of Glasgow.

Vicarious

unread,
Nov 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/8/00
to
JESUS MAN!!!

A Mutant Jesusman created as the rebirth of the son of god. Powers include
healing factor and abilty to change objects from one to another like water
to wine. Can walk on water, and can not be killed.

Paul O'Brien <pa...@esoterica.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:k4f1hnA2...@esoterica.demon.co.uk...

TK-421

unread,
Nov 8, 2000, 7:30:45 PM11/8/00
to
No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do they?


do they?


oh well...

Peter Likidis

unread,
Nov 8, 2000, 7:52:02 PM11/8/00
to

TK-421 wrote:
>
> No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do they?
>
> do they?
>
> oh well...
>

uhmmm Dogma?

MadiHolmes

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
>No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do they?
>
>
>do they?
>
>
>oh well...

I found out last night, OH how I found out...

MadiHolmes

Elayne Riggs

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
jonn...@my-deja.com happened to mention:

> Now it seems that in comics all
> religions are real...
> How do writers get away with these stories without causing
> confussion.

They trust that their readers will understand it's fiction?

- Elayne

Tom Henderson

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
Not to get into a sermon, or start a huge off-topic thread, but there is
incredible historical evidence for the existence of Jesus, and the
validity of the Bible. So, to answer your question, there are people
that take the Jesus stuff seriously, and with good reason.

In article <rvrj0t03jg5c3cpc6...@4ax.com>,


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mikey 5-0

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 00:30:45 +0000, TK-421 <paul...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do they?
>
>
>do they?

Sadly, I already have one friend telling me I should go to Church and
witness 'the revelation of God' and that I wont believe the things
I'll see. He has since been warned not to speak of such things again,
lest he feel the weight of my shovel about his bonce.

I'd rather there was no God. Id rather humanity made it here because
damn it - we sweated, we bled, and we earnt it! And I want to believe
tht mankind has a great destiny, that the stars are our birthright -
and not that it may all end tomorrow because God decides that time is
up, and the games over, and okay - lets see the colour of your soul,
matey.

For me, life with God is a sad, depressing thing.

I feel I should mention that I have quite a few Christian friends, and
Im not exactly anti-Christian - I just dont need it in my life.
Another of my friends is quite devout, and we can discuss religion
till the cows come home. He respects that each person lives their own
life, and he's not once told me that he has felt the presence of God,
unlike my friend who is gonna get his head beat in if he keeps
pestering me.

I just really dont like sanctimonious prats telling me I have to go to
church as if Im missing something in my life because I dont follow
their God. So for all those faithful Christians out there, doing the
good work - on ya! And for all those bible bashers - youre gonna rot
in hell!

Mikey 5-0
=====
'In heaven you become what you hope. In hell you
become what you fear...' - Von Bek, Michael Moorcock
=====
Remove 'nospam' and replace with 'kestril' to email me

Mikey 5-0

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 14:24:17 -0800, "Vicarious"
<no...@nospam.plethera.com> wrote:

>JESUS MAN!!!
>
>A Mutant Jesusman created as the rebirth of the son of god. Powers include
>healing factor and abilty to change objects from one to another like water
>to wine. Can walk on water, and can not be killed.

Give it to Alan Moore, or Warren Ellis - set it in Scotland (the
resting place of the Holy Grail?) - and do a 12, maybe 24-issue
maxi-series about the second coming of Jesus in cold, dank raining
Glasgow.

Perhaps this time Jesus will choose humanity over divinity? Very
bleak, very depressing, very 'nobody cares, faith is dead' kind of
series.

Id buy it.

gzyw...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
In article <3a0aa5ff...@news.iinet.net.au>,
nos...@echidna.id.au (Mikey 5-0) wrote:

> Perhaps this time Jesus will choose humanity over divinity? Very
> bleak, very depressing, very 'nobody cares, faith is dead' kind of
> series.
>
> Id buy it.
>
> Mikey 5-0

I'm confused, what do you mean "this time?" He chose hummanity last
time. Died and all. Fully human, fully divine.

What? But you put up with people flying and turning in to animals.

Greg Zywicki

gzyw...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
> No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do they?
>
> do they?
>

Only those of us who know him.

jonn...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
In article <3a0aa5ff...@news.iinet.net.au>,
nos...@echidna.id.au (Mikey 5-0) wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 14:24:17 -0800, "Vicarious"
> <no...@nospam.plethera.com> wrote:
>
> >JESUS MAN!!!
> >
> >A Mutant Jesusman created as the rebirth of the son of god. Powers
include
> >healing factor and abilty to change objects from one to another like
water
> >to wine. Can walk on water, and can not be killed.
>
> Give it to Alan Moore, or Warren Ellis - set it in Scotland (the
> resting place of the Holy Grail?) - and do a 12, maybe 24-issue
> maxi-series about the second coming of Jesus in cold, dank raining
> Glasgow.
>
> Perhaps this time Jesus will choose humanity over divinity? Very
> bleak, very depressing, very 'nobody cares, faith is dead' kind of
> series.
>
> Id buy it.

That story sounds more like Garth Ennis's style if you ask me. I know
for sure I wouldn't read it.

> Mikey 5-0
> =====
> 'In heaven you become what you hope. In hell you
> become what you fear...' - Von Bek, Michael Moorcock
> =====
> Remove 'nospam' and replace with 'kestril' to email me
>

jonn...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
In article <k4f1hnA2...@esoterica.demon.co.uk>,

Paul O'Brien <pa...@esoterica.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <8uc8gb$388$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jonn...@my-deja.com writes
> >Can somebody explain something that has been bugging me for a long
> >time? What is the deal with religion in comics over the past 60 years
> >or so?
>
> Religions are basically mythic stories and therefore fit rather
> well into a superhero mythos - as long as you're not using one that
> the audience take deadly seriously, in which case they'll be mortally
> offended at the trivialisation of their religious beliefs.

The majority of religious people in this country are either Chirstians
or Jews(I think jews are the second most), yet I've never seen or heard
of anybody complaining about Zauriel(or for that matter Preacher). Not
even the Christian Coalition or the Southern Baptisits have said
anything about it to my knowledg(and that I find very surprising). Now
that I think about it, I don't recall any buddist or hindu stories in
comics.

> Paul O'Brien
> THE X-AXIS REVIEWS - http://www.esoterica.demon.co.uk
>
> From the relatively fashionable west end of Glasgow.
>

jonn...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
> No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do they?
>
> do they?
>
> oh well...

Go to a church some Sunday. You'll find out then.

Decanos

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 14:12:06 GMT, nos...@echidna.id.au (Mikey 5-0)

>
>I just really dont like sanctimonious prats telling me I have to go to
>church as if Im missing something in my life because I dont follow
>their God. So for all those faithful Christians out there, doing the
>good work - on ya! And for all those bible bashers - youre gonna rot
>in hell!

Come on. Regardless of whether they're right or wrong,
they're at least acting out of concern and a desire to
help. One might disagree with their assessment, but
it seems mighty harsh to return their concern (however
ardent) with threats.

I take the same attitude toward Momon and Jehovah's
Witness door-knockers. Even though I disagree with
them -- for many reasons -- I do commend them for
their presistence and desire to help.

TK-421

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
Oh yeah, I believe that there is evidence that there was a historical
person, I just don't believe that there is any evidence that it
happened the way it was depicted in the Bible (which was rewritten in
the Middle Ages).


And it was just a joke anyway.

On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 13:57:35 GMT, Tom Henderson
<tomhen...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Not to get into a sermon, or start a huge off-topic thread, but there is
>incredible historical evidence for the existence of Jesus, and the
>validity of the Bible. So, to answer your question, there are people
>that take the Jesus stuff seriously, and with good reason.
>

TK-421

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:01:51 GMT, gzyw...@my-deja.com wrote:

>> No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do they?
>>
>> do they?
>>
>

>Only those of us who know him.
>
>Greg Zywicki
>
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.


You don't know him, he's been dead for nearly 2000 years

TK-421

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:39:14 GMT, jonn...@my-deja.com wrote:

>
>Go to a church some Sunday. You'll find out then.


I've got better things to do on a Sunday thank you very much

MadiHolmes

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
>
>>
>>Go to a church some Sunday. You'll find out then.
>
>
>I've got better things to do on a Sunday thank you very much

Oh this is just peachy.


First politics, now religion.

<I'm sorry, it's just that these two subjects usually lead to the
most....discussions>

:)

MadiHolmes

"Sometimes you just can't get rid of a flame war"

Rami Rautkorpi

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to

<jonn...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8uej7o$de$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> In article <3a0aa5ff...@news.iinet.net.au>,
> nos...@echidna.id.au (Mikey 5-0) wrote:
> > Give it to Alan Moore, or Warren Ellis - set it in Scotland (the
> > resting place of the Holy Grail?) - and do a 12, maybe 24-issue
> > maxi-series about the second coming of Jesus in cold, dank raining
> > Glasgow.
> >
> > Perhaps this time Jesus will choose humanity over divinity? Very
> > bleak, very depressing, very 'nobody cares, faith is dead' kind of
> > series.
>
> That story sounds more like Garth Ennis's style if you ask me. I know
> for sure I wouldn't read it.

I've always found Ennis's stories very optimistic and fun to read, not bleak
or depressing at all. Ellis on the other hand - I'm afraid he might actually
do it! I hope he never finds out about this idea :-)

--
Rami Rautkorpi
http://koti.mbnet.fi/ramir
--
"If you're so smart
why can't you see your own head
without a reflective surface?" -Grant Morrison

Paul O'Brien

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
In article <8uejrv$v4$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jonn...@my-deja.com writes

>
>The majority of religious people in this country are either Chirstians
>or Jews(I think jews are the second most), yet I've never seen or heard
>of anybody complaining about Zauriel(or for that matter Preacher).

Preacher got a few complaints. The lack of reaction to Zauriel from
the religious groups did surprise me somewhat - not because of
Zauriel himself, who was a perfectly innocuous character, but because
his back story involved corruption in Heaven which God didn't seem
to be aware of, suggesting that God wasn't doing a terribly good job
up there.

Paul O'Brien

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
In article <8uejvi$10j$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jonn...@my-deja.com writes

>
>Go to a church some Sunday. You'll find out then.

I'd love to, but I spend my Sundays raping goats and sacrificing
children. It's a hard life, but pleasurable.

speculato...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to

> > nos...@echidna.id.au (Mikey 5-0) wrote:
> > > Give it to Alan Moore, or Warren Ellis - set it in Scotland (the
> > > resting place of the Holy Grail?) - and do a 12, maybe 24-issue
> > > maxi-series about the second coming of Jesus in cold, dank raining
> > > Glasgow.
> > >
> > > Perhaps this time Jesus will choose humanity over divinity? Very
> > > bleak, very depressing, very 'nobody cares, faith is dead' kind of
> > > series.

> <jonn...@my-deja.com> wrote in message


> > That story sounds more like Garth Ennis's style if you ask me. I
know
> > for sure I wouldn't read it.

"Rami Rautkorpi" <rami.ra...@mbnet.fi> wrote:
> I've always found Ennis's stories very optimistic and fun to read, not
bleak
> or depressing at all. Ellis on the other hand - I'm afraid he might
actually
> do it! I hope he never finds out about this idea :-)

There's an interview with Ennis published online at
http://www.orb-store.com/rassmag/001020.htm

Religion is mentioned ...

MTFBWY,
Speculator

Dodds

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
Talking of raping animals...
i read in the paper a few weeks back about some strange laws. One of
them was that, in some Islamic countries (can't remember which ones),
there is a law that if a man has sexual intercourse with a lamb, it is
illegal if he eats it's flesh. Now, is it just me, or is there
something wrong with that law...?
It's a good job that rape demon from Hellblazer;Newcastle wasn't in an
islamic country!

Ronan

Paul O'Brien wrote:
>
> In article <8uejvi$10j$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jonn...@my-deja.com writes
> >
> >Go to a church some Sunday. You'll find out then.
>
> I'd love to, but I spend my Sundays raping goats and sacrificing
> children. It's a hard life, but pleasurable.
>

Matt Sheridan

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
to
<jonn...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8uej7o$de$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
>
> > >JESUS MAN!!!

> >
> > Give it to Alan Moore, or Warren Ellis - set it in Scotland (the
> > resting place of the Holy Grail?) - and do a 12, maybe 24-issue
> > maxi-series about the second coming of Jesus in cold, dank raining
> > Glasgow.
>
> That story sounds more like Garth Ennis's style if you ask me. I know
> for sure I wouldn't read it.

And I know for sure I would.

Matt

Carl Fink

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 7:39:50 PM11/9/00
to
On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 13:57:35 GMT Tom Henderson <tomhen...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Not to get into a sermon, or start a huge off-topic thread, but there is
>incredible historical evidence for the existence of Jesus, and the
>validity of the Bible. So, to answer your question, there are people
>that take the Jesus stuff seriously, and with good reason.

This is literally true. ("Incredible" means "not believable" if you
follow the etymology.) Define "validity".
--
Carl Fink ca...@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>

BHMarks

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 8:44:52 PM11/9/00
to
>From: jonn...@my-deja.com

>The majority of religious people in this country are either Chirstians
>or Jews(I think jews are the second most), yet I've never seen or heard

>of anybody complaining about Zauriel(or for that matter Preacher). Not
>even the Christian Coalition or the Southern Baptisits have said
>anything about it to my knowledg(and that I find very surprising).

I have heard people on this very newsgroup, and related ones, complaining about
both Zauriel and Preacher.

The Christian Coalition and the Southern Baptists don't pay much attention to
comics - Disney's more their size - but there was some "concerned Christian
mother's group" (I cannot recall its precise name, and would be happy if
someone could remind me) that decided to boycott Gaiman's SANDMAN. Mr. Gaiman
had a well-written response, describing the happy day when the memebers of this
organization would come flocking back to the book.

As is not entirely unusual, what prompted the reaction of this group (as of the
Southern Baptists to Disney) was the presence and acceptance of gay people.
They don't react very much when a straight person in a fictional story breaks
one of their sexual rules and gets away with it (because then they'd have to
deal with Lot and his nieces and all that other stuff in the Bible), but give
'em a homosexual or two and they're rarin' to go.

Statisitcally speaking, that is.

As ever,
Bennet

Tom Henderson

unread,
Nov 9, 2000, 10:38:09 PM11/9/00
to
That's not true. There is evidence from sources hostile to
Christianity that Jesus came back from the dead (Josephus, to name
one). Please, before making claims about Jesus, at least do some
reading about him.

In article <onml0toe4q2r1k67d...@4ax.com>,


paul...@bigfoot.com wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:01:51 GMT, gzyw...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >In article <rvrj0t03jg5c3cpc6...@4ax.com>,
> > paul...@bigfoot.com wrote:

> >> No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do they?
> >>
> >> do they?
> >>
> >

> >Only those of us who know him.
> >
> >Greg Zywicki
> >
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.
>

> You don't know him, he's been dead for nearly 2000 years
>

Carl Fink

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 12:26:13 AM11/10/00
to
On 10 Nov 2000 01:44:52 GMT BHMarks <bhm...@aol.com> wrote:

>They don't react very much when a straight person in a fictional story breaks
>one of their sexual rules and gets away with it (because then they'd have to

>deal with Lot and his nieces and all that other stuff in the Bible). . .

Daughters.
--
Carl Fink ca...@dm.net
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming
<http://www.iconsf.org/>

gzyw...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to
In article <onml0toe4q2r1k67d...@4ax.com>,
paul...@bigfoot.com wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:01:51 GMT, gzyw...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >In article <rvrj0t03jg5c3cpc6...@4ax.com>,
> > paul...@bigfoot.com wrote:
> >> No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do they?
> >>
> >> do they?
> >>
> >
> >Only those of us who know him.
> >
> >Greg Zywicki
> >
> You don't know him, he's been dead for nearly 2000 years
>
Apparently you are unfamiliar with the tennents of my faith.

gzyw...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to
In article <8uejrv$v4$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

jonn...@my-deja.com wrote:
> The majority of religious people in this country are either Chirstians
> or Jews(I think jews are the second most),

Could be Islam at this point, I'm not sure.

> yet I've never seen or heard
> of anybody complaining about Zauriel(or for that matter Preacher).

I did raise a complaint about Zauriel on DCU-L (I think) a few years
back, but it was mostly, "Good story. Doesn't resemble heaven in any
way, but a pretty good story nonetheless. Preacher - why bother? The
religion in that book had only a fleeting resemblence to any of the big
three monotheisms.

> Now
> that I think about it, I don't recall any buddist or hindu stories in
> comics.
>
> > Paul O'Brien
>

You missed DeMatais in the 80's then. There was a time when every one
of his stories veered into obscure hinduism. Dr. Fate was the best
example. Real shame too, because it overwhelmed what had started out as
a very engaging book.

TK-421

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to
On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:30:15 GMT, gzyw...@my-deja.com wrote:

>In article <onml0toe4q2r1k67d...@4ax.com>,
> paul...@bigfoot.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:01:51 GMT, gzyw...@my-deja.com wrote:
>>
>> >In article <rvrj0t03jg5c3cpc6...@4ax.com>,
>> > paul...@bigfoot.com wrote:
>> >> No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do they?
>> >>
>> >> do they?
>> >>
>> >
>> >Only those of us who know him.
>> >
>> >Greg Zywicki
>> >
>> You don't know him, he's been dead for nearly 2000 years
>>
>Apparently you are unfamiliar with the tennents of my faith.
>

>Greg Zywicki
>
>
>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.


Having fath is something does not equate to knowing it, even if you
would like it to be so

jonn...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to
In article <4LcCdjA6...@esoterica.demon.co.uk>,

Paul O'Brien <pa...@esoterica.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <8uejvi$10j$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jonn...@my-deja.com writes
> >
> >Go to a church some Sunday. You'll find out then.
>
> I'd love to, but I spend my Sundays raping goats and sacrificing
> children. It's a hard life, but pleasurable.

Oh for crying out loud! Why can't people be mature during threads like
this?

> Paul O'Brien
> THE X-AXIS REVIEWS - http://www.esoterica.demon.co.uk
>
> From the relatively fashionable west end of Glasgow.
>

jonn...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to
In article <20001109204452...@ng-da1.aol.com>,

It's not just gays. Didn't John Byrne gon on this NG and complain about
Mark Waid having Supes and WW parent an iligitimate child in Kingdom
Come, and then complain against Dan Raspler for approving it? I don't
know if it was this NG, but I know it was somewhere on the net.

> Statisitcally speaking, that is.
>
> As ever,
> Bennet
>

gzyw...@my-deja.com

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to
In article <up7o0t85acbh5lkg6...@4ax.com>,

paul...@bigfoot.com wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:30:15 GMT, gzyw...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >In article <onml0toe4q2r1k67d...@4ax.com>,
> > paul...@bigfoot.com wrote:
> >> On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:01:51 GMT, gzyw...@my-deja.com wrote:
> >>
> >> >In article <rvrj0t03jg5c3cpc6...@4ax.com>,
> >> > paul...@bigfoot.com wrote:
> >> >> No one takes the Jesus stuff deadly seriously these days do
they?
> >> >>
> >> >> do they?
> >> >>
> >> >
> >> >Only those of us who know him.
> >> >
> >> >Greg Zywicki
> >> >
> >> You don't know him, he's been dead for nearly 2000 years
> >>
> >Apparently you are unfamiliar with the tennents of my faith.
> >
> >Greg Zywicki
> >
> >
> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.
>
> Having fath is something does not equate to knowing it, even if you
> would like it to be so
>
Okay semantic cop, apparently you're unfamiliar with the tennents of my
religion then.

Sheesh.

Greg Zywicki

TK-421

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to

>>
>> Having fath is something does not equate to knowing it, even if you
>> would like it to be so
>>
>Okay semantic cop, apparently you're unfamiliar with the tennents of my
>religion then.
>
>Sheesh.
>
>Greg Zywicki
>
>


This doesn't make it any different. Your supposedly knowing Jesus is
simply an act of faith based on your religion. You do not actaully
know him in any sort of literal sense. The fact remains that it has
been nearly 2000 years since the historical figure that is now known
as Jesus Christ walked the Earth and anyone was able to actually know
him

Kevin J. Maroney

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to
gzyw...@my-deja.com wrote:

>You missed DeMatais in the 80's then. There was a time when every one
>of his stories veered into obscure hinduism.

"deMatteis". And what deMatteis believes, and what his stories often
concern, isn't Hindu per se; it's the religion of Meher Baba, which is
an eccumenical blend of religions with large doses of both Hindu and
Christianity.

--
Kevin J. Maroney | Unplugged Games | kmar...@ungames.com
"Thank you for your cooperation, Mr. Maroney. You are free
to leave."--Hyperion, _Squadron Supreme_ (by Mark Gruenwald)

Jim Kinsey

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to
TK-421 <paul...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:m2oo0t8j78slrgel1...@4ax.com...

Think of it as a sort of metaphor then - like when you "find" Jesus - you
don't literally go up into your Grandad's loft one day, look behind a chest
and see Jesus lying there - "Hey! I found Jesus!" (although I can't help but
think of South Park the movie when I hear this phrase now). Once you've
"found" him, you don't hang out with him and exchange phone calls - but you
can lay a much better claim to knowing him than those who haven't.

In other words: Don't try and argue with religion over semantics, you'll get
nowhere. As has been pointed out elsewhere the Bible has been translated and
rewritten so many times, to argue over the arrangement of the words would be
futile. Start with things like Dinosaur bones, the age of the universe,
evolution. But be careful to do your research - these guys can be sharp.

Jim

--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it's too dark
too read"
--Groucho Marx


Jim Kinsey

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to
Dodds <pdne...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote

> Talking of raping animals...
> i read in the paper a few weeks back about some strange laws. One of
> them was that, in some Islamic countries (can't remember which ones),
> there is a law that if a man has sexual intercourse with a lamb, it is
> illegal if he eats it's flesh. Now, is it just me, or is there
> something wrong with that law

Maybe it's a mis-translation and is referring to oral sex...?

Have you ever been to www.dumblaws.com? They have loads of things like this
listed. Was recently much-quoted in Sam & Twitch.

Paul O'Brien

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
to
In article <8uhhl9$fbr$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jonn...@my-deja.com writes

>>
>> I'd love to, but I spend my Sundays raping goats and sacrificing
>> children. It's a hard life, but pleasurable.
>
>Oh for crying out loud! Why can't people be mature during threads like
>this?

Ah, well I don't have to worry about my immortal soul. It's not
really an issue for us lawyers.

BHMarks

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 8:57:18 PM11/10/00
to
>From: jonn...@my-deja.com

John Byrne isn't a national Right-Wing group.

I wonder if his version of Ares was *married* when he became the father of his
version of Hippolyta?

:-)

Bennet

Harris O'Malley

unread,
Nov 10, 2000, 11:18:19 PM11/10/00
to
On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:57:55 +0000, TK-421 <paul...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>
>>>
>>> Having fath is something does not equate to knowing it, even if you
>>> would like it to be so
>>>
>>Okay semantic cop, apparently you're unfamiliar with the tennents of my
>>religion then.
>>
>>Sheesh.
>>
>>Greg Zywicki
>>
>>
>
>
>This doesn't make it any different. Your supposedly knowing Jesus is
>simply an act of faith based on your religion. You do not actaully
>know him in any sort of literal sense.

But that can be changed. Jesus is back, and he's looking for nookie.

http://www.jesus.com/

--
Harris O'Malley
Come visit Studio Underhill
http://www.studiounderhill.com

JVV4sm

unread,
Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
to
>In article <8uhhl9$fbr$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jonn...@my-deja.com writes
>>>
>>> I'd love to, but I spend my Sundays raping goats and sacrificing
>>> children. It's a hard life, but pleasurable.
>>
>>Oh for crying out loud! Why can't people be mature during threads like
>>this?
>
>Ah, well I don't have to worry about my immortal soul. It's not
>really an issue for us lawyers.

How much did you get for it?

TK-421

unread,
Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
to
On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:52:16 -0000, "Jim Kinsey" <jimk...@beeb.net>
wrote:

> Start with things like Dinosaur bones, the age of the universe,
>evolution. But be careful to do your research - these guys can be sharp.

The thing is I'm not out to disprove anything. But Religious people
often quote the things they believe as facts when they are plainly not
facts and cannot be proved. Just for the record, I am not claiming
that they can be disproved either.

TK-421

unread,
Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
to


So would I

MadiHolmes

unread,
Nov 12, 2000, 1:18:11 AM11/12/00
to
>ers.
>
>How much did you get for it?

the Usual Trade- box of cigars.

Well, they ARE Cuban :)

madiHolmes

Robert M. Bienvenu

unread,
Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
to
Paul O'Brien <pa...@esoterica.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <8uc8gb$388$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, jonn...@my-deja.com writes
>>Can somebody explain something that has been bugging me for a long
>>time? What is the deal with religion in comics over the past 60 years
>>or so?
>
>Religions are basically mythic stories and therefore fit rather
>well into a superhero mythos - as long as you're not using one that
>the audience take deadly seriously, in which case they'll be mortally
>offended at the trivialisation of their religious beliefs.
>
Religion in comics is the same as religion in any other media. It's
accepted that use of religious figures or history in a story does not
neccessarily equal validation of that religion.

I doubt that many walked out of Raiders of the Lost Ark, when the
reality of the religious artifact was revealed. I'm sure that
non-Christians can enjoy "The Night Before Christmas", without
offense.

It get's offensive (in comics or anywhere else), when you attempt to
change or explain religious history with non-religious explanation.
(Explaining that the star that guided the wise men was a space ship,
or that your religious founders were actually aliens).

I don't know how many folks still believe in the Norse, Roman or Greek
gods, but I'm guessing that they wouldn't be too thrilled with their
use by comic creators. I guess I'd feel the same way if Captain
Marvel gained his powers by shouting an acronym made up of the names
of the Apostles.

BHMarks

unread,
Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
to
>From: bien...@mindspring.com (Robert M. Bienvenu)

>I guess I'd feel the same way if Captain
>Marvel gained his powers by shouting an acronym made up of the names
>of the Apostles.

But how come Solomon doesn't count? Because he's Judeochristian and not just
Christian?

As ever,
Bennet

robertso

unread,
Nov 13, 2000, 2:29:35 AM11/13/00
to
Peter Says

I hate to be the one that says it but Jesus is still alright with me...DC
TALK RULES!!!!!!


Peter "Named after the Doorman to the stars" Robertson


P.S. I'm kidding about the DC TALK STUFF.

Paul "Duggy" Duggan

unread,
Nov 12, 2000, 7:28:43 PM11/12/00
to
On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Robert M. Bienvenu wrote:
> I don't know how many folks still believe in the Norse, Roman or Greek
> gods, but I'm guessing that they wouldn't be too thrilled with their
> use by comic creators. I guess I'd feel the same way if Captain

> Marvel gained his powers by shouting an acronym made up of the names
&