Superman meets Bill Cullen comic

James Fabiano

Mar 28, 2022, 4:49:04 PM3/28/22
Hello. I am looking for a Superman comic published in the 1960s, where Supes meets the game show host Bill Cullen. The Prankster is harassing him because he walked funny, so he is trying to recruit him and suggests that Bill should wear a clown nose too like that guy in Gotham City. At first Bill believes the Prankster that Superman is making fun of him. "What a dick," he comments. But soon, he sees who the real villain is and helps Supes win when Prankster uses Kryptonite on him. He does it by tossing potatoes at the Prankster. Superman, recovering from the Kryptonite, remarks, "Now that is funny!"

Anyone got it?

Kevrob

Mar 29, 2022, 5:39:16 AM3/29/22
On Monday, March 28, 2022 at 4:49:04 PM UTC-4, James Fabiano wrote:
> Hello. I am looking for a Superman comic published in the 1960s, where Supes meets the game show host Bill Cullen. The Prankster is harassing him because he walked funny, so he is trying to recruit him and suggests that Bill should wear a clown nose too like that guy in Gotham City. At first Bill believes the Prankster that Superman is making fun of him. "What a dick," he comments. But soon, he sees who the real villain is and helps Supes win when Prankster uses Kryptonite on him. He does it by tossing potatoes at the Prankster. Superman, recovering from the Kryptonite, remarks, "Now that is funny!"
>
> Anyone got it?

I could point you to "Supes meets Steve Allen" or "...meets Allen Funt" appearances,
but Bill Cullen? You're not confusing him with "Bud" Collyer, who voiced Superman
on the radio, and in cartoons, are you ?

--
Kevin R

James Fabiano

Mar 29, 2022, 9:06:19 AM3/29/22
No! I remember seeing Bill in it!!!

Quadibloc

Apr 1, 2022, 7:29:54 PM4/1/22
On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 7:06:19 AM UTC-6, James Fabiano wrote:

> No! I remember seeing Bill in it!!!

People can make mistakes, one's memory can play tricks. I have been searching
online, and there are excellent resources online that give an exhaustive list of
the Superman comics.

But in the case of the Prankster, apparently after last appearing in
Superman #88 for March 1954, he disappeared from Superman's adventures
until Superman #16 (volume 2) for April 1988.

So there were no appearances of the Prankster *at all* during the 1960s,
never mind appearances beside Bill Cullen.

The March 21, 1966 episode of "I've Got a Secret", with Bud Collyer as
host, and Bill Cullen as one of the panelists, In the second half of the show,
the man with a secret... is an actor wearing a Superman costume.

So Superman did encounter Bill Cullen in the 1960s, but on television.

John Savard

James Fabiano

Apr 4, 2022, 4:19:48 PM4/4/22
You know what? Maybe this happened in 1988! This was four years after Hot Potato went off the air, which was Bill's last network game show where he tossed potatoes at the contestants. Bill had retired in 1986, so I guess someone at DC wanted to write a tribute with him.