Which Superhero film are you most looking forward to?

Juan Bernardo Gonzalez Ramirez

Feb 19, 2011, 7:42:49 PM2/19/11
Ok so this summer is clearly gonna be the summer of the superhero! We
have Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, and X-Men First Class coming
out. Now which one is everyone most looking forward to? I gotta go with
Captain America just because this was my hero ever since childhood and
I've waited a long time for this movie to be done right. Thor is gonna
be awesome just because....well its about Thor and it has Anthony
Hopkins playing Odin, what more do you need?! However Green Lantern
holds a tie with Thor for my second place because I like Ryan Reynolds
and think he is gonna do a great job plus this is the first film done
about a main DC Comics character thats not Superman or Batman. So thats
gonna be cool. X-Men First Class does look good, I'm just not a big fan
of the X-Men so I'm not in that big of a rush for this one. What about
everyone else?

grinningdemon

Feb 20, 2011, 1:12:50 AM2/20/11

I don't have particularly high hopes for any of these but, if I have
to choose, I'd say Captain America...I love period epics so the WWII
setting sounds good to me...I'll see GL but I hate Hal Jordan so
that's a big hole for it to climb out of...Thor sounds dreadful...and
X-Men First Class, from everything I've heard, will be awful...and
won't actually include any of the real X-Men First Class...I love the
X-Men but have been less than impressed with the movies...I hate that
they have all centered around Wolverine rather than truly being an
ensemble as it should be...this one will be Wolverine-free but seems
to focus mainly on a rather bizarre cast of C-list characters and
Prof. X (a necessary character for the genesis of the X-Men but still
one that I have always found exceedingly boring and wish had been
killed off years ago)...the only addition I am looking forward to
seeing is January Jones in her hopefully skimpy Emma Frost outfit.

Michael

Feb 20, 2011, 11:51:51 AM2/20/11

In order:

- Thor
if I can overlook the dartboard that was used to determine the team it
might be a good actioner)
- Green Lantern
- Captain America

Cap and GL are almost neck and neck, but Cap's trailer didn't look all
that great and I find it hard getting past the "Cap's part of the USO
show to rationalize his costume" business.

Michael

Michael

Feb 20, 2011, 11:54:30 AM2/20/11
grinningdemon wrote:

but still.

Michael

Mike Hall

Feb 20, 2011, 4:00:26 PM2/20/11
On Feb 20, 12:42 am, Juan Bernardo Gonzalez Ramirez

<Bernardo_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ok so this summer is clearly gonna be the summer of the superhero! We
> have Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, and X-Men First Class coming
> out. Now which one is everyone most looking forward to?

Green Lantern. It will probably be awful but this is such a brave
project that I will watch it anyway!

Thor should be done as an animation. I still have horrid memories of
the one which fought Lou Ferrigno's Hulk!

Captain America will be the easiest to film and will probably be the
best acted since he is just a man.

I am worried that X-Men films will become more and more lazily filmed.

Mike Hall

Wouter Valentijn

Feb 20, 2011, 4:17:17 PM2/20/11

"Juan Bernardo Gonzalez Ramirez" <Bernar...@hotmail.com> schreef in
bericht news:SNT126-W2656DC333...@phx.gbl...

Probably will see most of them in years to come. Read grinningdemon's
comments on X-Men and I must concur with that.
The most interesting one might be one not mentioned here: The Avengers!
I wonder if they will ever do a live action Legion of Superheroes movie. I'd
love to see 'The Great Darkness Saga'. :-)

--
Wouter Valentijn www.j3v.net

http://www.nksf.scifics.com/startrek.html

http://www.zeppodunsel.blogspot.com/ (NKSF TV Tips Blog)

Giles: "I'd like to test that theory."
'Buffy the Vampire Slayer 6x21: Two To Go.'

liam=mail

iarwain

Feb 20, 2011, 4:38:56 PM2/20/11
Thor probably. You can't go wrong with Anthony Hopkins, and the
trailers have looked good.
I could be wrong, but it looks like with this last trailer they
released they've added some layers and more color to the CGI Asgard
and whatnot.

Maybe if they ever reboot the X-Men, they would try the actual
original lineup from the comics as a "first class".
But since Wolverine wouldn't be included, probably not.

It really bugs me that Johnny Storm is playing Cap. I know it's
silly, but every time I see Chris Evans on the screen, I think "Oh,
that's the Torch".
I didn't expect it to bother me, but so far it has. Maybe once the
film starts and I get pulled in to the story, that will go away.

Duggy

Feb 20, 2011, 5:40:11 PM2/20/11
On Feb 20, 4:12 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I don't have particularly high hopes for any of these but,

Ditto.

> I'll see GL but I hate Hal Jordan so
> that's a big hole for it to climb out of...

I like Hal, but he is quite bland. I think this one is going to fail
like Fantastic Four... ho-hum set up and a big boring battle at the
end.

===
= DUG.
===

M.O.R

Feb 20, 2011, 6:03:07 PM2/20/11

I had that problem from the get go. Plus he has been in 5 comic book
properties as of now, and they either failed at the BO, or failed as
movies, or both.

I would have a similar problem if Jennifer Garner played Emma Frost.
And I had a totally similar problem when Halle Berry played Catwoman,
even if she was CINO. Honestly though, how can one read a script, see
the detail "Heroine ground surfs on the back of a thug" and not think
that sounds like a terrible film?

grinningdemon

Feb 20, 2011, 6:18:54 PM2/20/11
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:38:56 -0800 (PST), iarwain
<iarw...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thor probably. You can't go wrong with Anthony Hopkins, and the
>trailers have looked good.
>I could be wrong, but it looks like with this last trailer they
>released they've added some layers and more color to the CGI Asgard
>and whatnot.
>
>Maybe if they ever reboot the X-Men, they would try the actual
>original lineup from the comics as a "first class".
>But since Wolverine wouldn't be included, probably not.

Well, Wolverine isn't in this "First Class" movie so they are willing
to make one without him...I'd love to see a true "First Class"
flick...maybe based on the Children of the Atom mini from a few years
back?

Goro

Feb 20, 2011, 8:03:53 PM2/20/11
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:38:56 -0800 (PST), iarwain
<iarw...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Isn't there also a Human Torch in the Captain America 40s era? I
recall something like he was an android or somethign? And wasn't
there a torch named Toro or something?

Wouldn't it be something to have Chris Evans as Cap and then someone
else as the Human Torch? lol!

-goro-

grinningdemon

Feb 20, 2011, 8:44:35 PM2/20/11
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:03:53 -0700, Goro <bo...@nonn.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:38:56 -0800 (PST), iarwain
><iarw...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thor probably. You can't go wrong with Anthony Hopkins, and the
>>trailers have looked good.
>>I could be wrong, but it looks like with this last trailer they
>>released they've added some layers and more color to the CGI Asgard
>>and whatnot.
>>
>>Maybe if they ever reboot the X-Men, they would try the actual
>>original lineup from the comics as a "first class".
>>But since Wolverine wouldn't be included, probably not.
>>
>>It really bugs me that Johnny Storm is playing Cap. I know it's
>>silly, but every time I see Chris Evans on the screen, I think "Oh,
>>that's the Torch".
>>I didn't expect it to bother me, but so far it has. Maybe once the
>>film starts and I get pulled in to the story, that will go away.
>
>Isn't there also a Human Torch in the Captain America 40s era? I
>recall something like he was an android or somethign? And wasn't
>there a torch named Toro or something?

The original Human Torch was indeed an android and was indeed around
in the Golden Age...Toro was his sidekick.

>Wouldn't it be something to have Chris Evans as Cap and then someone
>else as the Human Torch? lol!

I would expect that the Captain America movie would probably be a
little more grounded in reality...or, rather, I think it would work
best that way.

Ken from Chicago

Feb 21, 2011, 12:40:30 AM2/21/11

"Juan Bernardo Gonzalez Ramirez" <Bernar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

It had been THOR given how they've seemed to have found a way to present
Asgard and Midgard to coexist--and create an interesting version of Asgard.

That's been bumped aside by X-MEN: FIRST CLASS. It has created an intriguing
60s period look and a serious theme that resonates from the issues that made
the 60s Marvel comics so popular with young adults.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Feb 21, 2011, 12:59:47 AM2/21/11

"grinningdemon" <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:42:49 -0800, Juan Bernardo Gonzalez Ramirez
> <Bernar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Ok so this summer is clearly gonna be the summer of the superhero! We
>>have Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, and X-Men First Class coming
>>out. Now which one is everyone most looking forward to? I gotta go with
>>Captain America just because this was my hero ever since childhood and
>>I've waited a long time for this movie to be done right. Thor is gonna
>>be awesome just because....well its about Thor and it has Anthony
>>Hopkins playing Odin, what more do you need?! However Green Lantern
>>holds a tie with Thor for my second place because I like Ryan Reynolds
>>and think he is gonna do a great job plus this is the first film done
>>about a main DC Comics character thats not Superman or Batman. So thats
>>gonna be cool. X-Men First Class does look good, I'm just not a big fan
>>of the X-Men so I'm not in that big of a rush for this one. What about
>>everyone else?
>>

> I don't have particularly high hopes for any of these but, if I have
> to choose, I'd say Captain America...I love period epics so the WWII
> setting sounds good to me...I'll see GL but I hate Hal Jordan so
> that's a big hole for it to climb out of...Thor sounds dreadful...and
> X-Men First Class, from everything I've heard, will be awful...and
> won't actually include any of the real X-Men First Class...I love the

Beast wasn't in the first class of X-Men?

> X-Men but have been less than impressed with the movies...I hate that
> they have all centered around Wolverine rather than truly being an
> ensemble as it should be...this one will be Wolverine-free but seems
> to focus mainly on a rather bizarre cast of C-list characters and

The comic book continuity messes them up. If Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast,
Angel and Iceman were in their teens in the 1960s then they would have to be
in their 50s in the 2000s.

The movie continuity messes them up further still as they depicted Angel
never being part of the X-Men and only showing up in the 3rd movie.

> Prof. X (a necessary character for the genesis of the X-Men but still
> one that I have always found exceedingly boring and wish had been

Xavier's level of telepathy is uber-powerful and is constantly nerfed in the
comics and movies to give villains a fighting chance (much like Barry
Allen's level of superspeed).

> killed off years ago)...the only addition I am looking forward to
> seeing is January Jones in her hopefully skimpy Emma Frost outfit.

Plus in the X-Menverse, Xavier (like Barbara Gordon) have been
wheelchair-bound despite having access to technology that could enable him
to walk with an exosuit. There are actual real life exosuits that are close
to mimicking the size and range of (walking) motion of Iron-Man's bulkier
suits.

However by editorial fiat to keep him off the field teams (and thus allowing
villains a fighting chance--as opposed to simply writing he's better at
strategy away from the field instead of tactically on the field), he remains
wheelchair-bound. Whenever he's been freed of the wheelchair, he's typically
been kicked out of the comic book series.

-- Ken from Chicago

Kenneth M. Lin

Feb 21, 2011, 2:01:20 AM2/21/11
<Bernar...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ok so this summer is clearly gonna be the summer of the superhero! We
>have Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, and X-Men First Class coming
>out. Now which one is everyone most looking forward to? I gotta go with
>Captain America just because this was my hero ever since childhood and
>I've waited a long time for this movie to be done right. Thor is gonna
>be awesome just because....well its about Thor and it has Anthony
>Hopkins playing Odin, what more do you need?! However Green Lantern
>holds a tie with Thor for my second place because I like Ryan Reynolds
>and think he is gonna do a great job plus this is the first film done
>about a main DC Comics character thats not Superman or Batman. So thats
>gonna be cool. X-Men First Class does look good, I'm just not a big fan
>of the X-Men so I'm not in that big of a rush for this one. What about
>everyone else?

I'd say none of the above. Batman III will be good but it won't come out
for couple more years.

GL could be good but looks too light-hearted. Thor has a lame leading
actor. (No Donald Blake joke here.) Captain America played by former Human
Torch? X-Men First Class directed by the guy that bailed on the franchise
to begin with?

plausible prose man

Feb 21, 2011, 2:04:42 AM2/21/11

Not reality, exactly, but likely the movie would suffer from having
two many out-right superheroes; especially if one of them is a man on
fire like that. You know, something like that, you have to spend a lot
of time introducing and explaining, and the whole origin thing is
usually the weakest part of a comic book movie.

>...or, rather, I think it would work
> best that way.

There's only so much reality Captain America can really take,
especially as associated with WWII as he is.

Ken from Chicago

Feb 21, 2011, 8:37:04 AM2/21/11

"iarwain" <iarw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Thor probably. You can't go wrong with Anthony Hopkins, and the

Ask Cuba Gooding Jr.

> trailers have looked good.
> I could be wrong, but it looks like with this last trailer they
> released they've added some layers and more color to the CGI Asgard
> and whatnot.
>
> Maybe if they ever reboot the X-Men, they would try the actual
> original lineup from the comics as a "first class".
> But since Wolverine wouldn't be included, probably not.

They ALREADY have a "first class" without Wolverine in it.

> It really bugs me that Johnny Storm is playing Cap. I know it's
> silly, but every time I see Chris Evans on the screen, I think "Oh,
> that's the Torch".
> I didn't expect it to bother me, but so far it has. Maybe once the
> film starts and I get pulled in to the story, that will go away.

His biceps looked to big the first time we see him enhanced.

-- Ken from Chicago

Madlove

Feb 21, 2011, 6:50:01 AM2/21/11
The 'G.L.' flick. Even tho it will turn out to be a CGI crapfest.
And Reynolds won't help.

grinningdemon

Feb 21, 2011, 1:23:40 PM2/21/11

I forgot about Beast...one 1 out of 5...THAT fixes everything.

>> X-Men but have been less than impressed with the movies...I hate that
>> they have all centered around Wolverine rather than truly being an
>> ensemble as it should be...this one will be Wolverine-free but seems
>> to focus mainly on a rather bizarre cast of C-list characters and
>
>The comic book continuity messes them up. If Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast,
>Angel and Iceman were in their teens in the 1960s then they would have to be
>in their 50s in the 2000s.

Who said the movie had to be set in the 60s?

>The movie continuity messes them up further still as they depicted Angel
>never being part of the X-Men and only showing up in the 3rd movie.

The movie continuity blows.

grinningdemon

Feb 21, 2011, 1:24:41 PM2/21/11

You do realize X-Men was the least successful of the Marvel books in
the 60s and was essentially cancelled, right?

iarwain

Feb 21, 2011, 1:47:12 PM2/21/11
> Well, Wolverine isn't in this "First Class" movie so they are willing to make one without him...

Well, that's a damn good point...

iarwain

Feb 21, 2011, 1:49:33 PM2/21/11
> You do realize X-Men was the least successful of the Marvel books in the 60s and was essentially cancelled, right?

Maybe it was an idea that was ahead of its time?
I used to like reading it at least.

M.O.R

Feb 21, 2011, 3:26:09 PM2/21/11
On Feb 21, 6:24 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:40:30 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
>

> <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >"Juan Bernardo Gonzalez Ramirez" <Bernardo_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> the 60s and was essentially cancelled, right?- Hide quoted text -

M.O.R

Feb 21, 2011, 3:26:24 PM2/21/11
On Feb 21, 6:24 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:40:30 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
>

> <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >"Juan Bernardo Gonzalez Ramirez" <Bernardo_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> the 60s and was essentially cancelled, right?- Hide quoted text -

It was not until Claremont, Cockrum and Byrne came on board that it
reached iconic status. Still, from looking at the shots of the film,
I certainly believe that while set in the 60's, or at least having a
very strong 60s influence, the film references more of the Byrne/
Claremont or Claremont/ Cockrum era than the earlier Kirby/ Lee books.
Stan and Jack had a vivid imagination, but X-men's early issues just
did not seem to work, in my eyes. IT seems like the thought of
someone being born with powers was the most Lee and Kirby could
contribute, they did not really execute the whole idea of racism,
hatred etc very well. When Byrne and Cockrum, among others, came on
board, they took far greater inspiration from the whole race riots,
and Malcolm X vs Martin Luther King.
Stan Lee and Kirby's execution of X-men was really dissappointing,
especially when looking at how well they executed the whole angst of
Spider-man/ Peter Parker.

Ken from Chicago

Feb 21, 2011, 5:57:07 PM2/21/11

"grinningdemon" <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Thus my use of "Marvel comics" since I didn't know how specifically how
successful UNCANNY X-MEN was but did know Marvel comics in general were
popular in the '60s.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Feb 21, 2011, 5:59:30 PM2/21/11

"M.O.R" <sean.ca...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Feb 21, 6:24 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:40:30 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"

<snip>

I keep seeing Kurt Busiek's and Alex Ross' take on Uncanny X-Men in their
epic mini-series, MARVELS.

-- Ken from Chicago

grinningdemon

Feb 21, 2011, 8:02:48 PM2/21/11

I love the original team...but didn't care for many of the original
stories...in any case, the book didn't really take off until Claremont
basically reinvented it.

grinningdemon

Feb 21, 2011, 8:05:20 PM2/21/11
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:57:07 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

Marvel Comics were generally very successful in the 60s but, since
X-Men was not, it seems like an odd choice to take the film in that
route.

Ken from Chicago

Feb 21, 2011, 9:36:53 PM2/21/11

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:57:07 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
> <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>"grinningdemon" <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:40:30 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
>>> <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>

>>> You do realize X-Men was the least successful of the Marvel books in
>>> the 60s and was essentially cancelled, right?
>>
>>Thus my use of "Marvel comics" since I didn't know how specifically how
>>successful UNCANNY X-MEN was but did know Marvel comics in general were
>>popular in the '60s.
>>
>>-- Ken from Chicago
>
> Marvel Comics were generally very successful in the 60s but, since
> X-Men was not, it seems like an odd choice to take the film in that
> route.

Considering the time it takes to make a movie, possibly the buzz of the 60s
setting MAD MEN was an extra bonus, plus a surface skimming of X-Men history
would reveal its origins in the 1960s.

Extra bonus, you have JFK, the space race, the Cold War, James Bond,
hippies, Rock before it went mainstream, R&B before it was marginalized by
rap and of course, the some foursome musical act from across the Pond.

-- Ken from Chicago

Tin Lunchbox

Feb 21, 2011, 9:57:01 PM2/21/11
<iarw...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It really bugs me that Johnny Storm is playing Cap. I know it's
>silly, but every time I see Chris Evans on the screen, I think "Oh,
>that's the Torch".
>I didn't expect it to bother me, but so far it has. Maybe once the
>film starts and I get pulled in to the story, that will go away.

I think it'll be okay. In the preview, I didn't make that connection
at first. The actor is older now. He seems to be a talented actor,
though he's impressed me mainly for his humorous chops so far. There's
a bit in I think it was "Not Another Teen Movie" that must be about
ten years old by now in which he parodies Aerosmith song Janie's Got a
Gun, and he really throws himself into it. So mainly humorous that
I've seen thus far but talent like that transfers over, at least
potentially. The preview makes me think he can pull it off.

Sometimes it is just good to get the best actor, even if there's some
detail that's off. Of course I was wrong about this with Wolverine as
portrayed by Hugh Jackman. Although in the comics Wolverine is a short
character, and at one point early on I think his shortness was written
as contributing to his scrappiness as an expression of proving
himself, the movies went with Hugh Jackman who must be well over six
feet tall. I thought at the first X-Men movie "well, at least they got
a good actor" but in the later movies I really don't think Jackman did
a good job. I wish they would have found a good short Wolverine. Not
every hero has to be six-feet-plus.

TiN[]BoX

PS: although in the case of Captain America, you *are* supposed to
have a character that is tall.

Tin Lunchbox

Feb 21, 2011, 10:08:58 PM2/21/11
<Bernar...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ok so this summer is clearly gonna be the summer of the superhero! We
>have Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, and X-Men First Class coming
>out. Now which one is everyone most looking forward to? I gotta go with

<text clipped for brevity>

I agree with you: Captain America. The preview looked really good.
They seem to be trying to be faithful to the source material.

Thor, not as much. They are eliminating his alter ego?! The preview
didn't look that good IMHO. However the movie could possibly be good.
Not counting on many "yea, verilies," but I'll be happy if he roars "I
say thee nay!" at least once.

It'll be interesting to see how they illustrate Green Lantern's
powers. That type of effect hasn't been done that I'm aware of.

TiN[]BoX

grinningdemon

Feb 22, 2011, 3:39:04 AM2/22/11
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:36:53 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

I know Mad Men has been a success and all but I don't think a cable
show's success really rises to the level that it would affect a major
motion picture franchise that predates the show by several years...at
the time the X-Men comic was created, obviously it was meant to play
into the civil rights issues of the day...but that isn't something I
think would play well as a period piece with modern audiences...it
could even conceivably offend some people as trivializing events of
that era.

>Extra bonus, you have JFK, the space race, the Cold War, James Bond,
>hippies, Rock before it went mainstream, R&B before it was marginalized by
>rap and of course, the some foursome musical act from across the Pond.

Right...none of which have anything at all to do with the X-Men.

Ken from Chicago

Feb 22, 2011, 6:03:02 AM2/22/11

"grinningdemon" <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Haha. Like you don't know I'm talking about the movie.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Feb 22, 2011, 6:05:07 AM2/22/11

"Tin Lunchbox" <n...@spam.thx> wrote in message

Was it the Hugh's acting or the script? One actor can only do so much.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Feb 22, 2011, 6:08:22 AM2/22/11

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:42:49 -0800, Juan Bernardo Gonzalez Ramirez
> <Bernar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Ok so this summer is clearly gonna be the summer of the superhero! We
>>have Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, and X-Men First Class coming
>>out. Now which one is everyone most looking forward to? I gotta go with
>
> <text clipped for brevity>
>
> I agree with you: Captain America. The preview looked really good.
> They seem to be trying to be faithful to the source material.
>
> Thor, not as much. They are eliminating his alter ego?! The preview

When was the last time Don Blake was his alter ego? the 90s? the 80s?
Simonson's run?

> didn't look that good IMHO. However the movie could possibly be good.
> Not counting on many "yea, verilies," but I'll be happy if he roars "I
> say thee nay!" at least once.

Look again at the trailer--and listen. He does blend in some medieval
English with the modern.

> It'll be interesting to see how they illustrate Green Lantern's
> powers. That type of effect hasn't been done that I'm aware of.
>
> TiN[]BoX

Four words: WHO SHOT ROGER RABBIT?

Two words: THE MASK.

The cgi has been capable for a while now, but the problem, as usual, comes
with the script.

-- Ken from Chicago

M.O.R

Feb 22, 2011, 7:14:08 AM2/22/11
On Feb 22, 11:08 am, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Even the abandoned JLA pilot with David Ogden Stiers as Martian
Manhunter J'onn J'onnz was able to do a fairly good, for the time,
rendition of GL's powers. Everything else, however....

(And looking at the name Manhunter, and DOS's recent revelation about
being gay...does anyone else see the humour in the title 'Manhunter?'
I mean, that is a homophobe's stereotypical image when they think of a
gay man. At least it is when watching movies like 'Freebie and the
Bean'.)

I've watched the trailer a number of times, and for me, Chris
Hemsworth does not seem to inhabit the role, at all. He comes across
as wooden, and the whole idea that he is attached to these mortals
never comes across as believable. I blame Kenneth Branagh. He sees
something in CH that I just do not.

Duggy

Feb 22, 2011, 8:52:03 AM2/22/11
On Feb 22, 10:14 pm, "M.O.R" <sean.carmod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (And looking at the name Manhunter, and DOS's recent revelation about
> being gay...

I hadn't heard that... but it doesn't have revelationary feel to me,
more a "sounds about right"ness about it.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Feb 22, 2011, 8:55:06 AM2/22/11
On Feb 22, 9:08 pm, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> > It'll be interesting to see how they illustrate Green Lantern's
> > powers. That type of effect hasn't been done that I'm aware of.
> Four words: WHO SHOT ROGER RABBIT?

Cartoony and obviously so (but that was the point.)

> Two words: THE MASK.

Cartoony and obviously so (but that was the point.)

> The cgi has been capable for a while now, but the problem, as usual, comes
> with the script.

I think that The Abyss is a better example. Realistic looking. But
that's water not green energy, but I'm sure that's been done.

===
= DUG.
===

FSogol

Feb 22, 2011, 10:26:16 AM2/22/11
On 2/19/2011 7:42 PM, Juan Bernardo Gonzalez Ramirez wrote:
> Ok so this summer is clearly gonna be the summer of the superhero! We
> have Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, and X-Men First Class coming
> out. Now which one is everyone most looking forward to? I gotta go with
> Captain America just because this was my hero ever since childhood and
> I've waited a long time for this movie to be done right. Thor is gonna
> be awesome just because....well its about Thor and it has Anthony
> Hopkins playing Odin, what more do you need?! However Green Lantern
> holds a tie with Thor for my second place because I like Ryan Reynolds
> and think he is gonna do a great job plus this is the first film done
> about a main DC Comics character thats not Superman or Batman. So thats
> gonna be cool. X-Men First Class does look good, I'm just not a big fan
> of the X-Men so I'm not in that big of a rush for this one. What about
> everyone else?

In Order:

Thor

Trailer looked great. Saw some people here bashing Chris Helmsworth.
Has he really been in enough stuff to say he's a bad actor? He was ok
in the Star Trek reboot.

Capt. America

Hardest of these movies to do right. Trailer looked awful/boring.
Afraid that WWII will include zero Nazis and that it will be a war
against Hydra. Don't mind Chris Evans as Cap.

GL

Would rather watch a Flash movie but, GL could be great. Don't mind
seeing a light-hearted superhero flick. Glad it doesn't involve Seth
Rogen or Jack Black.

X-Men 1st Class

Yawn: The mutant struggle. Anyone know what the storyline will be? Who
is the villain?
--
FSogol

Anim8rFSK

Feb 22, 2011, 12:53:52 PM2/22/11
In article <ae-dncm_Foi3BP7Q...@giganews.com>,

"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > Thor, not as much. They are eliminating his alter ego?! The preview
>
> When was the last time Don Blake was his alter ego? the 90s? the 80s?
> Simonson's run?

2 years ago, the newest reboot.

--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"

Duggy

Feb 22, 2011, 6:40:09 PM2/22/11
On Feb 23, 7:03 am, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
> Duggy wrote:
> > On Feb 21, 10:15 pm, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
> >> "Duggy" <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> schreef in
> >> berichtnews:46c9f5be-51d5-4bc6...@w7g2000pre.googlegroups.com...

> >> It's not coming out this summer, so it's not mentioned on a list of
> >> films coming out this summer.
>
> >> ***
> >> Which was not specified in the subject title. :-)
>
> > So you can only read subject titles?
>
> > The first sentence of the post is too hard for you?
>
> Nah, I just expanded it and decided to think beyond that first sentence
> whilst still remaining faithful to the subject title  / topic. . :-)

You may say The Avengers, but you didn't mention

The Dark Knight Rises
Superman 1
Iron Man 3
The Amazing Spider-man
Antman
Black Cat
Fury
Hellboy 3
Fantastic 4 1
Wolverine 2
Preacher
Jumper 2
Xerses
Samson
The Golden Age
Red Sonja
Highlander

===
= DUG.
===

Ken from Chicago

Feb 22, 2011, 9:36:31 PM2/22/11

"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

And the two times before that reboot?

-- Ken from Chicago

Lilith

Feb 22, 2011, 10:34:45 PM2/22/11
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:00:26 -0800 (PST), Mike Hall <tar...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Feb 20, 12:42 am, Juan Bernardo Gonzalez Ramirez

><Bernardo_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok so this summer is clearly gonna be the summer of the superhero! We
>> have Green Lantern, Thor, Captain America, and X-Men First Class coming
>> out. Now which one is everyone most looking forward to?
>

>Green Lantern. It will probably be awful but this is such a brave
>project that I will watch it anyway!

I just want to see how well they handle a CGI power ring.

>Thor should be done as an animation. I still have horrid memories of
>the one which fought Lou Ferrigno's Hulk!

Yeah, but then you'd have to animate him in the Avengers movie and
that would just be too Roger Rabbity. At least this is a high budget
film, not low budget TV schlock.

>Captain America will be the easiest to film and will probably be the
>best acted since he is just a man.

It also seems that, costume-wise, he's maybe more modeled afer the
Ultimate Cap. American flag but with all the practical things you'd
take into ware with you.

--
Lilith

Lilith

Feb 22, 2011, 10:40:25 PM2/22/11
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 21:57:01 -0500, Tin Lunchbox <n...@spam.thx> wrote:

>Not
>every hero has to be six-feet-plus.

Let's wait for an Alpha Flight movie and see who they cast ast Puck.
:-)

--
Lilith

Wouter Valentijn

Feb 23, 2011, 5:18:41 AM2/23/11

Indeed! Those I did not mention.
The question was 'Which Superhero *film* are you looking forward to ever
ever ever?'
Notice the singular.

BTW, which one of those that you listed here would you pick as the most
interesting?

--
Wouter Valentijn www.j3v.net

http://www.nksf.scifics.com/startrek.html

http://www.zeppodunsel.blogspot.com/ (NKSF TV Tips Blog)

Giles: "I'd like to test that theory."
'Buffy the Vampire Slayer 6x21: Two To Go.'

liam=mail

Duggy

Feb 23, 2011, 8:04:28 AM2/23/11

So still The Avengers or other options now it's open to any superhero
ever to be made in the future?

> The question was 'Which Superhero *film* are you looking forward to ever
> ever ever?'

Yes, and your answer?

> Notice the singular.

Yeap.

> BTW, which one of those that you listed here would you pick as the most
> interesting?

Too soon to tell, most are still in preproduction. There's more to go
on for the ones coming out this summer. Otherwise it's just
speculation.

===
= DUG.
===

FSogol

Feb 23, 2011, 8:51:11 AM2/23/11

Knowing Hollywood? Shaquille O'Neal

--
FSogol

Wouter Valentijn

Feb 23, 2011, 9:29:34 AM2/23/11

Not 'ever', only the ones I'm really aware of.
And of the movies that I'm aware of being made (or are 'about to be made')
'The Avengers' seems to be the most interesting one. To me at least.
Because, mostly, of the name connected to it: Joss Whedon.

In the list you gave, only 'The Dark Knight Rises', 'The Amazing Spiderman'
and 'Red Sonja' ring a bell in the sense that I heard that they were being
made. I may have heard of some of the others, but probably forgot about
them.
Are they really doing a reboot of the Fantastic Four movie franchise? Again?

>> The question was 'Which Superhero *film* are you looking forward to
>> ever ever ever?'
>
> Yes, and your answer?

I gave mine already.
But if you mean only the ones listed by the OP, then my choice would be:
Green Lantern.
Amazingly enough, being mostly a Marvelite I should have said 'X-Men: First
Class', but the way the earlier movies went....
Below that, and therefore not 'the one film' would be Thor.

>> Notice the singular.
>
> Yeap.
>
>> BTW, which one of those that you listed here would you pick as the
>> most interesting?
>
> Too soon to tell, most are still in preproduction. There's more to go
> on for the ones coming out this summer. Otherwise it's just
> speculation.

But isn't that also fun? :-)

Warewolf

Feb 23, 2011, 2:16:00 PM2/23/11
"Wouter Valentijn" <li...@valentijn.nu> wrote in

> The question was 'Which Superhero *film* are you looking forward to
> ever ever ever?'
> Notice the singular.

How about one combining the surrealistic (female) character designs of:

Defenders of Dynatron City
The Tick
Earthworm Jim

Gammatelier (NSFW)
http://gammatelier.free.fr/

Naga's Den (Again, NSFW)
http://www.nagasden.com/

Immortal Tom's gallery (guess)
http://immortaltom.deviantart.com/

with the biting wit of this strip

http://www.superstupor.com/index.html

and maybe a sprinkling of this brand of twisted humor

http://brokenteapot.deviantart.com/art/Gaming-Gift-Exchange-190397045
http://brokenteapot.deviantart.com/art/An-Opponent-from-Dimension-XXX-
189719014
http://brokenteapot.deviantart.com/art/Here-Comes-A-New-Challenger-
189625423
http://brokenteapot.deviantart.com/art/Splash-Woman-topless-180943339

I would *love* to see a well-made (and well-written) flick/series that
featured characters ala Buzzsaw Girl, Spiral, Demona (from Gargoyles) and
Jenny (from My Life as a Teenage Robot) 'living their lives' and wasn't
afraid to embrace its twisted silliness. ^_^

Part of the appeal of shows like Freakazoid, Toonsylvania, Ruby Gloom and
(Growing up) Creepie is that they 'explore new avenues' - Toonsylvania,
in particular, was a series that managed to blend elements of the horror
genre with unabashed cartoon silliness and, despite a few missed
opportunities, this worked in its favor. Even the latter two examples
with their cute character designs and clever writing are proving
themselves to be more than just 'kid stuff'. ^_^

To drink in the surrealistic beauty of the human imagination (preferably
with out Stripperella's cornball nonsense) would be dream come true.

Still, one viewer's dream would be another viewer's nightmare. 9_9

Feel free to mention if such a film/series has already been made.

And thank you for reading.

Signed,
Warewolf
who thinks that wish fulfillment *can* be a work of genie-us. ~_^

Duggy

Feb 23, 2011, 8:41:12 PM2/23/11
On Feb 24, 12:29 am, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
> Not 'ever', only the ones I'm really aware of.

Then you can't answer the question in the subject line.

> And of the movies that I'm aware of being made (or are 'about to be made')
> 'The Avengers' seems to be the most interesting one. To me at least.
> Because, mostly, of the name connected to it: Joss Whedon.

Joss had made some good stuff and a lot of dross.

He wants to do a Superhero film too much.

He wanted to Wonder Woman but didn't like the TV series or the
comics? What? He was just wanted to do a comic film and didn't care
which. His "superpowered chicks" rep got him a foot in the door for
WW and he went with that.

He wrote a spec script for Batman about a serial killer. A serial
killer? An episode of a TV series or a comic book, but a big screen
film? Really? He just doesn't get it.

He wrote what is considered the worse line in The X-Men.

He does write light hearted team dynamics well. So the light moments
in The Avengers will be good. The rest... time will tell.

> In the list you gave, only 'The Dark Knight Rises', 'The Amazing Spiderman'
> and 'Red Sonja' ring a bell in the sense that I heard that they were being
> made. I may have heard of some of the others, but probably forgot about
> them.

Happens. It's much easier to just look at the ones coming out this
year.

http://au.movies.ign.com/articles/102/1020293p1.html

> >> The question was 'Which Superhero *film* are you looking forward to
> >> ever ever ever?'
> > Yes, and your answer?
> I gave mine already.

You gave yours with considering any other film that may be made in the
future.

> But if you mean only the ones listed by the OP,

That is what the OP asked.

> Green Lantern.

I'm getting a Fantastic Four vibe from it.

> > Too soon to tell, most are still in preproduction.  There's more to go
> > on for the ones coming out this summer.  Otherwise it's just
> > speculation.
> But isn't that also fun? :-)

Maybe.

The Dark Knight Rises
Hate the name, don't know the comic book story they're using well
enough to comment. I don't like that they're talking third and final.

Superman 1
Once again "dark" is being thrown around too much.

Iron Man 3
Interesting that they're also talking of it as the end of a trilogy
trying to tie the previous villains together.

The Amazing Spider-man
Didn't like 3 but didn't think it needed a reboot. I don't like that
we only ever get beginnings with these things. That's why I figured
Superman Returns continuing the old series was a good idea badly
executed.

Antman
Like the director but the "Old Antman/New Antman" thing doesn't make
much sense to me.

Black Cat
Hot chick in leather spin-off. They *always* work.

Fury
SLJ's been good in cameos. A SHIELD film... may work... dunno

Hellboy 3
Not enough info yet.

Fantastic 4 1
The reboot is a good idea, but too soon to consider one, IMHO.

Wolverine 2
I'm a little over Wolverine films.

Preacher
Never going to get the money to make it right. It will either need to
me toned down or made cheap.

Jumper 2
The end of Jumper just threw ideas at the screen that it didn't follow
through on, requiring a sequel... but doesn't mean I'm willing to
watch one. The director talking about the GF getting powers and
jumping to other planets doesn't excite me.

Xerses
Seems like a weird idea.

Samson
Think this is an original idea. Those are OK, I guess. See when we
have more information.

The Golden Age
This one interests me. Is this one based on the book Busiek mentions
as an inspiration for AstroCity?

Red Sonja
Eh.

Highlander
Remaking a classic. It will do well. I'll hate it on spec.

===
= DUG.
===

Wouter Valentijn

Feb 24, 2011, 5:20:35 PM2/24/11

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> schreef in bericht

On Feb 24, 12:29 am, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
> Not 'ever', only the ones I'm really aware of.

Then you can't answer the question in the subject line.

***

No one can give a title of a movie they are not aware of. Therefore an
automatic limit is set by (the general) awareness.
That goes for everybody.
Or are you aware of superhero movies that might come out in the year
21,409?

> And of the movies that I'm aware of being made (or are 'about to be made')
> 'The Avengers' seems to be the most interesting one. To me at least.
> Because, mostly, of the name connected to it: Joss Whedon.

Joss had made some good stuff and a lot of dross.

He wants to do a Superhero film too much.

He wanted to Wonder Woman but didn't like the TV series or the
comics? What? He was just wanted to do a comic film and didn't care
which. His "superpowered chicks" rep got him a foot in the door for
WW and he went with that.

He wrote a spec script for Batman about a serial killer. A serial
killer? An episode of a TV series or a comic book, but a big screen
film? Really? He just doesn't get it.

***
A lot of folks like him! :-)
Including me.

He wrote what is considered the worse line in The X-Men.

***
Can you quote that line, and why was that line, in your opinion, the worst?

He does write light hearted team dynamics well. So the light moments
in The Avengers will be good. The rest... time will tell.

***
So, not a total Joss fan?
Have you seen every episode of Buffy, Angel and Firefly?
Joss is not just about light hearted stuff.

> In the list you gave, only 'The Dark Knight Rises', 'The Amazing
> Spiderman'
> and 'Red Sonja' ring a bell in the sense that I heard that they were being
> made. I may have heard of some of the others, but probably forgot about
> them.

Happens. It's much easier to just look at the ones coming out this
year.

***
Or the ones that create enough buzz years ahead.
And they all must be able to make you remember them. The fact they are
coming I mean. Not the movies themselves. Otherwise you could see the
future. :-P

> Are they really doing a reboot of the Fantastic Four movie franchise?
> Again?

Yeap.
http://au.movies.ign.com/articles/102/1020293p1.html

***
Huh....

> >> The question was 'Which Superhero *film* are you looking forward to
> >> ever ever ever?'
> > Yes, and your answer?
> I gave mine already.

You gave yours with considering any other film that may be made in the
future.

***
Not really. Most certainly not 'any other', only he ones I knew about. Can't
talk about actual movies that's aren't even in a glint in the eyes of the
producers.

> But if you mean only the ones listed by the OP,

That is what the OP asked.

***
You never stray from a first line of a post? Or build upon it?
That is very limiting.

> Green Lantern.

I'm getting a Fantastic Four vibe from it.

> > Too soon to tell, most are still in preproduction. There's more to go
> > on for the ones coming out this summer. Otherwise it's just
> > speculation.
> But isn't that also fun? :-)

Maybe.

***
Oh, well, to each his own. :-)

The Dark Knight Rises
Hate the name, don't know the comic book story they're using well
enough to comment. I don't like that they're talking third and final.

***
Final for the current batch. Maybe.
But when they use the word 'final' for things like these I like to take it
with a grain of salt.

Superman 1
Once again "dark" is being thrown around too much.

***
I never saw Superman as a dark hero. He is one of optimism.

Iron Man 3
Interesting that they're also talking of it as the end of a trilogy
trying to tie the previous villains together.

***
Marketing gimmick perhaps?

The Amazing Spider-man
Didn't like 3 but didn't think it needed a reboot. I don't like that
we only ever get beginnings with these things. That's why I figured
Superman Returns continuing the old series was a good idea badly
executed.

***
Agreed!

Antman
Like the director but the "Old Antman/New Antman" thing doesn't make
much sense to me.

***
Will there be a Wasp?

Black Cat
Hot chick in leather spin-off. They *always* work.

***
I have zero issues with hot chicks! :-)

Fury
SLJ's been good in cameos. A SHIELD film... may work... dunno

Hellboy 3
Not enough info yet.

Fantastic 4 1
The reboot is a good idea, but too soon to consider one, IMHO.

***
Same could be said for Spiderman.

Wolverine 2
I'm a little over Wolverine films.

***
One might petition an encyclopedia to use him as posterchild for 'overused'.
;-)

<snip>

Red Sonja
Eh.

***
Maybe she and the Black Cat can do something interesting together?
Ah, just wishful thinking. :-)
Sonja did have something to do with M.J. a couple of times.

Highlander
Remaking a classic. It will do well. I'll hate it on spec.

***
Ah, Highlander.
Been there, done that. Through with it.

Duggy

Feb 24, 2011, 7:34:04 PM2/24/11
On Feb 25, 8:20 am, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
> No one can give a title of a movie they are not aware of. Therefore an
> automatic limit is set by (the general) awareness.
> That goes for everybody.
> Or are you aware of superhero movies that might come out in the year
> 21,409?

Exactly. Much better to just stick to this year.

> A lot of folks like him! :-)
> Including me.

He has a small group of rabid fans. Not enough people to make Firefly
a success. Not enough people to make Serenity successful enough to
warrent a sequel. Not enough people to make Dollhouse a success.

I don't hate him. I think he's funny in person. I think he does
interesting dialogue. I just thing that he's George Lucas doing the
prequels. Too many fans (both in the community and that he works
with) convincing him that he can do no wrong and he's been convinced.

>> He wrote what is considered the worse line in The X-Men.

> Can you quote that line, and why was that line, in your opinion, the worst?

Everyone here can.

> So, not a total Joss fan?

Is there a law saying I have to be.

> Have you seen every episode of Buffy, Angel and Firefly?

Yes, to all 3.

> Joss is not just about light hearted stuff.

No, but that's where his power is.

> Or the ones that create enough buzz years ahead.

Too far ahead and they may never happen.

> Huh....

The mantra for comic book film reboots at the moment seems to be "It
worked for Incredible Hulk". Although not very well, I must say. And
Punisher is another counter-example.

But Superman and Fantastic Four are using it. Spider-man isn't, I
think, but it is rebooting too soon, IMHO.

> Not really. Most certainly not 'any other', only he ones I knew about. Can't
> talk about actual movies that's aren't even in a glint in the eyes of the
> producers.

True.

> You never stray from a first line of a post? Or build upon it?
> That is very limiting.

Not in a way that mocks the very point of the discussion.

The Dark Knight Rising

> Final for the current batch. Maybe.
> But when they use the word 'final' for things like these I like to take it
> with a grain of salt.

True, he seems to say only one for #!... still Sam said final for
Spider-man so they rebooted, which I'm not happy with. I can see that
happening here... like SM, the cast keeps saying "only with this
director"

Which makes sense in some ways, I guess.

Superman 1

> I never saw Superman as a dark hero. He is one of optimism.

Which is why I think that the word is being thrown around too much.

Iron Man 3
> Marketing gimmick perhaps?

I guess. Third films probably do a lot worse than 1 and 2, so the
recent (if you ignore Jedi) trick of "it's not a second sequel it's a
trilogy" thing makes some sense. Like the third issue guest-
appearence in comics.

Antman

> Will there be a  Wasp?

I cannot and will not answer that question.

Black Cat

> I have zero issues with hot chicks! :-)

I have an issue where that's all the film is.

Fantastic 4 1

> Same could be said for Spiderman.

I think we did.

Wolverine 2

> One might petition an encyclopedia to use him as posterchild for 'overused'.
> ;-)

If you think you can get the signatures.

Red Sonja

> Maybe she and the Black Cat can do something interesting together?
> Ah, just wishful thinking. :-)
> Sonja did have something to do with M.J. a couple of times.

Sticky.

Highlander

> Ah, Highlander.
> Been there, done that. Through with it.

OK.

I'd be OK with special editioning the original, though.

===
= DUG.
===

Anim8rFSK

Feb 25, 2011, 1:00:09 PM2/25/11
In article <QeKdnWKyLP8p7_nQ...@giganews.com>,

"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

> >> When was the last time Don Blake was his alter ego? the 90s? the 80s?
> >> Simonson's run?
> >
> > 2 years ago, the newest reboot.
> >
> > --
> > "Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
> > Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"
>
> And the two times before that reboot?
>
> -- Ken from Chicago

See the FF thread. The current answer is "this week"

Wouter Valentijn

Feb 25, 2011, 5:03:11 PM2/25/11
Duggy wrote:
> On Feb 25, 8:20 am, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:

<snip>

>>> He wrote what is considered the worse line in The X-Men.
>> Can you quote that line, and why was that line, in your opinion, the
>> worst?
>
> Everyone here can.

So? What is that line? Just curious.

>> So, not a total Joss fan?
>
> Is there a law saying I have to be.

Nope.

<snip>

> No, but that's where his power is.
>
>> Or the ones that create enough buzz years ahead.
>
> Too far ahead and they may never happen.

Maybe, but that's too pessimistic I think.

<snip>

>> You never stray from a first line of a post? Or build upon it?
>> That is very limiting.
>
> Not in a way that mocks the very point of the discussion.

I have a different opinion on that.

<snip>

> Highlander
>> Ah, Highlander.
>> Been there, done that. Through with it.
>
> OK.
>
> I'd be OK with special editioning the original, though.

I think I would leave the original alone.
Or do you mean a DVD with extra commentary etc.?

Duggy

Feb 25, 2011, 7:10:49 PM2/25/11
On Feb 26, 8:03 am, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
> Duggy wrote:
> > On Feb 25, 8:20 am, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:

> <snip>
> >> Can you quote that line, and why was that line, in your opinion, the
> >> worst?
> > Everyone here can.
> So? What is that line? Just curious.

You really don't know? And you call yourself a Joss Whedon fan.

> >> So, not a total Joss fan?
> > Is there a law saying I have to be.
> Nope.

Good.

> <snip>

> >> Or the ones that create enough buzz years ahead.
> > Too far ahead and they may never happen.
> Maybe, but that's too pessimistic I think.

Realistic. There were at least 5 Superman films that were proposed
but not made between Superman IV and Superman Returns. All manner of
comic book films suggested... X-Men: First Class now contains story
that would have been in X-Men Origin: Magneto which is no longer
planned, etc.

> <snip>
> >> You never stray from a first line of a post? Or build upon it?
> >> That is very limiting.
> > Not in a way that mocks the very point of the discussion.
> I have a different opinion on that.

So it seems.

> <snip>
> > Highlander

> > I'd be OK with special editioning the original, though.
> I think I would leave the original alone.
> Or do you mean a DVD with extra commentary etc.?

I've never liked the quickening FX at the end. Even on the 80s. I'd
replace those.

===
= DUG.
===

Ken from Chicago

Feb 26, 2011, 12:51:11 AM2/26/11

"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

This week is not "before" 2 years ago. And even then that's only one time.
What was the time *before* 2 years ago?

-- Ken from Chicago

Lilith

Feb 26, 2011, 11:56:12 AM2/26/11
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:10:49 -0800 (PST), Duggy
<Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

>On Feb 26, 8:03 am, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
>> Duggy wrote:
>> > On Feb 25, 8:20 am, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> > Everyone here can.
>> So? What is that line? Just curious.
>
>You really don't know? And you call yourself a Joss Whedon fan.

Would you please quote it for those of us who aren't Joss Whedon fans?
This branch of the thread has gone on long enough.

--
Lilith

M.O.R

Feb 26, 2011, 1:59:44 PM2/26/11

All joking aside, I think the actor Peter Dinklage is a good match for
Puck. He's got the presence of an actor, and he can do the physcial
stuff too. Anyone who has seen him in roles such as Prince Caspian,
or Death at a Funeral (the non Chris Rock film, which is good. The
remake has MArtin Lawrence and co mugging for the camera) knows he can
play the role, and if you have seen him in the Station Agent, one can
see he has really strong acting ability. Certainly more so than many
of his more able bodied, over rated actors.

William George Ferguson

Feb 26, 2011, 3:16:10 PM2/26/11

There are two conversations from Whedon's script in the final release. One
is an exchange between Cyclops and Wolverine, and the other an exchange
between Storm and Toad.

[the X-Men have discovered that a shapeshifter (Mystique) has been
impersonating them]
Cyclops: How do I know you're the real Logan?
Wolverine: You're a dick.
Cyclops: Right, Logan.

Storm: Do you know what happens to a toad that's hit by lightning?
Toad: What?
ZAP
Storm: The same as anything else hit by lightning.

The second is generally held in minimum high regard, primarily due to Halle
Berry's delivery of it.

--
I have a theory, it could be bunnies

Lilith

Feb 26, 2011, 5:30:48 PM2/26/11

Thank you. The first one I thought was humorous enough. The second
I'll have to agree was totally asinine Berry's delivery wasn't Academy
Award winning material.

--
Lilith

Wouter Valentijn

Feb 27, 2011, 5:36:55 PM2/27/11
William George Ferguson wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:56:12 -0600, Lilith <lili...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:10:49 -0800 (PST), Duggy
>> <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

>>> You really don't know? And you call yourself a Joss Whedon fan.

I am a fan. But never claimed I read or saw everything.
Never saw Toystory for instance. And I have yet to see 'The Dollhouse'.
What I did see?
- Buffy (movie and series)
- Angel (series)
- Firefly (series plus Serenity)
- Alien 4
- Doctor Horrible

Read: Couple of his X-men comics and some of the Buffy ones.

>> Would you please quote it for those of us who aren't Joss Whedon
>> fans? This branch of the thread has gone on long enough.
>
> There are two conversations from Whedon's script in the final
> release. One is an exchange between Cyclops and Wolverine, and the
> other an exchange between Storm and Toad.
>
> [the X-Men have discovered that a shapeshifter (Mystique) has been
> impersonating them]
> Cyclops: How do I know you're the real Logan?
> Wolverine: You're a dick.
> Cyclops: Right, Logan.
>
> Storm: Do you know what happens to a toad that's hit by lightning?
> Toad: What?
> ZAP
> Storm: The same as anything else hit by lightning.
>
> The second is generally held in minimum high regard, primarily due to
> Halle Berry's delivery of it.

Ah... That's it??
Wait.... A line in an X-Men movie?
Joss wrote for that? Which one?
Saw the first a long time ago, but I'm unaware he had anything to do with
that.

Duggy

Feb 27, 2011, 8:38:41 PM2/27/11
On Feb 28, 8:36 am, "Wouter Valentijn" <l...@valentijn.nu> wrote:
> Ah... That's it??
> Wait.... A line in an X-Men movie?
> Joss wrote for that? Which one?
> Saw the first a long time ago, but I'm unaware he had anything to do with
> that.

And he calls himself a fan.

===
= DUG.
===

FSogol

Feb 28, 2011, 8:56:14 AM2/28/11

Yup, good actor. Could he really handle the physicality of playing Puck?
I dunno.
--
FSogol

Message has been deleted

Wouter Valentijn

Feb 28, 2011, 3:51:58 PM2/28/11

He still does. :-)

--
Wouter Valentijn www.j3v.net

http://www.nksf.scifics.com/startrek.html

Giles: "I'd like to test that theory."
'Buffy the Vampire Slayer 6x21: Two To Go.'

liam=mail

> ===
> = DUG.
> ===

M.O.R

Feb 28, 2011, 6:58:46 PM2/28/11
> FSogol- Hide quoted text -

He's got one credit for stunt work on Oz, so I'd imagine he could.
Plus anyone who saw his turn in Prince Caspian knows he can do the
swordwork, and stunt work that was required, with no problems.
I'd imagine he would have no problem playing the role. The only
question is, would he want to?

Tim Turnip

Feb 28, 2011, 7:11:16 PM2/28/11

If not, I'll bet Warwick Davis would and could. Having just only now
recently seen him in Ray, I was personally astonished to find out that
Davis (at 40, just a few months younger than Dinklage) can actually
act, and he's been in various action-oriented movies since he was a
kid, so he could probably handle the physicality. I'll admit he
doesn't look quite as much like Puck as does Dinklage, who's already
shown he could rock the 'stache.

Tim Turnip

Feb 28, 2011, 7:12:35 PM2/28/11
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:28:12 GMT, gree...@yahoo.co.uk (greenaum)
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:40:09 -0800 (PST), Duggy
><Paul....@jcu.edu.au> sprachen:
>
>>Preacher
>
>How could Preacher fail to be awful? The comic was great.

( number of great comics ) - ( number of great movie adaptations of
comics ) = your answer.

Message has been deleted

Anim8rFSK

Mar 3, 2011, 10:11:28 PM3/3/11
In article <QtWdnVjN-aBJCfXQ...@giganews.com>,

Who gives a fuck? Thor has been Blake since the beginning, and still
is, and the people making the film are some of the most moronic, least
competent hacks in the business, who have turned out purtrid shit after
putrid shit over and over and over.

Ken from Chicago

Mar 4, 2011, 6:01:46 AM3/4/11

Who killed Bruce Wayne's parents?

What did Batman do with the killer?

What country was Tony Stark in when his heart was first damaged?

Who was the first supervillain Iron Man fought?

Who is Peter Parker's first love?

How does Spider-Man shoot webs?

Yeah, movies adapted from superhero comics alter the details of the heroes,
sometimes significantly--and still can be commercially successful and even
critically acclaimed.

A bad adaptation can still be a good or even great movie.

Yeah, Thor was Donald Blake at the beginning, and currently is, but has
spent decades not being Blake, and people kept reading the comic and liking
the character. So TPTB of the movie about Thor, Odin, Jane, Loki, a
Destroyer, some Shield agent, Asgard and Midgard chose to NOT cram the
persona of Donald Blake into the 2-hour running time? It can still be a good
movie.

Doesn't mean it will be or won't be, just, why not wait until the movie is
released before getting so angry about it? All that anger only raises your
blood pressure and damages your health--and it could turn out you like or
even love the movie.

Besides, having established Asgard to the general public in this movie TPTB
could still make him Blake in a sequel.

-- Ken from Chicago

~consul

Mar 9, 2011, 7:39:46 PM3/9/11
'tis on Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:11:16 -0600, wrote Tim Turnip thus to essay our thoughts to discern upon

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:58:46 -0800 (PST), "M.O.R"
>>> Yup, good actor. Could he really handle the physicality of playing Puck?
>>> I dunno.
>> He's got one credit for stunt work on Oz, so I'd imagine he could.
>> Plus anyone who saw his turn in Prince Caspian knows he can do the
>> swordwork, and stunt work that was required, with no problems.
>> I'd imagine he would have no problem playing the role. The only
>> question is, would he want to?
> If not, I'll bet Warwick Davis would and could. Having just only now
> recently seen him in Ray, I was personally astonished to find out that
> Davis (at 40, just a few months younger than Dinklage) can actually
> act, and he's been in various action-oriented movies since he was a
> kid, so he could probably handle the physicality. I'll admit he
> doesn't look quite as much like Puck as does Dinklage, who's already
> shown he could rock the 'stache.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Martin Klebba. He's on The Cape right now, and besides the acting chops, he's got the physical fighting down pat. He'd be perfect.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."
--till next time, consul -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>