Legion Obscura #194

Jef Peckham

May 5, 2012, 12:52:12 AM5/5/12
Hi gang!

I've been out of touch for the past couple weeks. In that time three books
have come out. Details follow the

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (VII) 8.

Steve Lightle is back! One of the best artist the LSH has ever had! And he
drew one of the stories inside the book too! Oh Frabulous Joy! What was
the story about? Who cares, Lightle drew it!

Sorry, that's something I've been looking forward to almost since the
'original' Legion returned in Action 858. And now Steve is back on the
covers. Now it doesn't matter if the stories stink. I would still buy the
books, even LLost.

Any way, this issue has two short stories, one of which Lightle drew
featuring Invisible Kid. He stops some super-powered and shape-shifting
crooks. It's not any more memorable than that a week after reading it, but
it sure looked pretty.

By contrast, the second story, which didn't look anywhere near as good,
despite the return of recent regular artist Yildray Cinar (Dan Green does
not appear to be a good choice to ink him) was much more memorable.
Focusing on the three founders, it brings Cosmic Boy's love interest Night
Girl back to him.

SUPERMAN: THE SECRETS OF THE FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE trade paperback.

Among the reprints in this trade paperback, and the source of the cover, is
the tabloid Superman And His Incredible Fortress Of Solitude (DC Special
Series 26). It includes one panel of people in the Phantom Zone, including
Mon-el. That's it for this book. Is it worth $19.99? Considering the
difficulty of finding a copy of the tabloid, perhaps.

TEEN TITANS ANNUAL (III) 1

'The Culling' gets underway in earnest. After being kidnapped in their own
books last issue, Superboy, the Teen Titans, and the Legion Lost team get
thrown together in some sort of underground arena, each thinking the other
team is their captors, and being goaded to figiht to the death. When that
doesn't work (has nobody heard about the Legion's code against killing?),
the super-powered beings under control of the mysterious captors then join
the fray, forcing the Titans and the Legion to work together. Continued in
the individual titles, starting with Superboy next week. That's a lot of
pages for no more plot development than that. And why have the Lost team's
costume been replaced with white versions of their regular outfits? Sigh...

I got a chance to check out the Free Comic Book Day offerings from DC. No
Legion in them this year.

Finally a quick preview of Previews. LLost and LSH keep chugging along, now
up to 11 issues. Also coming out around October 1 is Absolute Final Crisis,
an oversized hardcover reprint of the mini-series. Too bad it won't read
any better. Starman Thom Kallor, then with the JSA appears in a few issues.

Until next time,
Archive Lad
Jef Peckham
j1peckham#earthlink.net