the Fan's Write the Legion.... Part 2

Reaus

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
Well, the site is finally up.
There are 7 entries that made it in on time and also survived the
pre-contest blood lettings. A couple, mine included didn't make the
deadline =( But if we have a 3rd contest, I'll be ready for that one
for sure!!

I do agree with Ben, that on average, the stories are even better than
last time. Let's see...
...Dr. Mayavale
...lesbian Legionnaires (noooooo! say it isn't so!! anybody but her!!)
...Sun Boy
...vonnegut!?
...triad, triad and more triad
...WildFire!!

The url to vote for your favorite is:
http://members.aol.com/branesalad/menu.htm

Voting is officially open, and will last until the stroke of midnite on
Halloween!

~tim~
aka:bl...@aol.com

Ben Weiss

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
to ls...@mindspring.com
Reaus wrote:

> Well, the site is finally up.

> I do agree with Ben, that on average, the stories are even better than
> last time.

I don't think that Tom would have automatically considered me as
front-runner if he'd read some of the other entries. I'm going to have to
do some re-reading before deciding what to vote for...

> ...Dr. Mayavale

In not one, but two stories. (Note to the author of "The Vanishing": You
didn't fully name him, but you're not fooling anyone. :-)

> ...lesbian Legionnaires (noooooo! say it isn't so!! anybody but her!!)

This bunch of stories features two new Legion romances, one hetero and one
not...

> ...triad, triad and more triad

Two spotlights (again, and by different authors this time!), one story
featuring her as leader, and a great twist on the third body...

> ...WildFire!!

...Tyroc, a powered Condo Arlik (twice!), a powered-up Tenzil (also twice),
Polar Boy, both Foccarts, and a return cameo by a character who may or may
not be Dawnstar...

...sequels to "Transitions," "Old Tombs," and "The Best-Laid Plans," plus
four pieces by writers who weren't in the last contest, all full-length
stories this time.

> The url to vote for your favorite is:
> http://members.aol.com/branesalad/menu.htm

Check it out, and post your comments on the stories (with CONTEST in the
header) on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh! Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

"What? Are you crazy???!!!" "No, Ms. Durgo, you are." - Triad
experiencing a Carggite bedside manner, "You Can Never Go Home Again"

Bic

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
Tim was singing karaoke with more enthusiasm than humanly possible. As he
sang, the bouncing ball pointed out:

> Well, the site is finally up.

> There are 7 entries that made it in on time and also survived the
> pre-contest blood lettings. A couple, mine included didn't make the
> deadline =( But if we have a 3rd contest, I'll be ready for that one
> for sure!!

Can't wait... Gotta agree with Ben as well, this batch was excellent (much
better than my little entry, IMHO).

> ...lesbian Legionnaires (noooooo! say it isn't so!! anybody but her!!)

Gomen ne Tim-san. But it felt right to do at the time.

> ...Sun Boy
> ...vonnegut!?

> ...triad, triad and more triad

She needs more spotlights I think ;)

> ...WildFire!!

It was really nice to see such a diverse group of stories. Voting on whose
should be first and second, is difficult at best. I made my choices, but
even now I'm second- (third- & fourth-) guessing myself.

If a third contest springs up, count me in again. This was a real blast to
do.

Oh and Tim, I forgot to archive the First batch of stories. (I collect all
the fan-fic's I like!) Can you e-mail 'em to me please?

Much Mahalos,
Vic (aka Bic)

BTW - When should we start discussing, in less broad terms, stories the
exciting aspect of the stories contributed. In a couple of days, after
everyone has had a chance to read them?

Ben Weiss

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Bic wrote:

> BTW - When should we start discussing, in less broad terms, stories the
> exciting aspect of the stories contributed. In a couple of days, after
> everyone has had a chance to read them?

You can start right now if you want--just put "CONTEST" in the subject line,
and I'd recommend spoiler space. Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

Tom Greene

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
I don't think that Tom would have automatically considered me as
front-runner if he'd read some of the other entries. I'm going to have to
do some re-reading before deciding what to vote for...>>

Once again, the reasoning:

Fact I: In cases where it's usually secret, the winner in the last one must be
considered front-runner, with whoever's second considered the most likely to
take over the top spot.
Fact II: You are a jealous mofo.
Fact III: In the third one, you goin' down.
ReLect0

Hardcore Psycho-Fandom for the next millennium.

Reaus

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Bic wrote:

> > ...lesbian Legionnaires (noooooo! say it isn't so!! anybody but her!!)

space...

> Gomen ne Tim-san.
huh?? I see my name in there, but that's all i understand =)

>But it felt right to do at the time.

I agree... and those two are the logical ones... but Zoe is mine, all
mine!!! Violet can't have her!! LOL

On a cool note... i recently commissioned a "sexy Zoe" sketch from Jeff
Moy. I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail, but he sent me a
scan of it and i can only say 2 things about it....
1: hubba hubba!!!!!!
2: Jeff Moy is Da Man!!

~Tim~
aka:blok @ Aol.com

Legion Writing Contest
http://members.aol.com/branesalad/menu.htm

the Unofficial Blok Website
http://members.aol.com/blok/blok.html

David Goldfarb

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99
In article <380D2B...@lowlife.spammers>,
Reaus <i_...@lowlife.spammers> wrote:
)Bic wrote:
)> Gomen ne Tim-san.
)huh?? I see my name in there, but that's all i understand =)

"Gomen ne" is a (slightly casual) Japanese apology. (The Japanese
language is well-stocked with apologies. :-)

--
David Goldfarb <*>|
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu |"THEY ZONKED ME WITH ELECTRONIC SHOCK WAVES,

bouncing_boy

Oct 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/20/99

>On a cool note... i recently commissioned a "sexy Zoe" sketch from Jeff
>Moy. I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail, but he sent me a
>scan of it and i can only say 2 things about it....
>1: hubba hubba!!!!!!
>2: Jeff Moy is Da Man!!

On a similar note...I just recieved in the mail a "Triad and Vi fighting
over Chuck" sketch from Jeff that I had commissioned (God, I'm such the
fanboy!) and I can say two things about it...
1: LOLROTFLMAO
2: Yep. Jeff Moy IS Da Man!!!

-Mark
bounci...@hotmail.com

Ben Weiss

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
bouncing_boy wrote:

> On a similar note...I just recieved in the mail a "Triad and Vi fighting
> over Chuck" sketch from Jeff that I had commissioned (God, I'm such the
> fanboy!) and I can say two things about it...
> 1: LOLROTFLMAO
> 2: Yep. Jeff Moy IS Da Man!!!

Okay, I'll bite...how much does Jeff charge for a commission? Ben
eleme...@lsh.org
Short on the rent, but priorities are priorities... :-)

Reaus

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99

$30... $25 for the sketch and $5 for priority shipping.
The first one I got from him, a cool Blok sketch, was 9X11(IIRC, i
haven't measured it) on a thick poster=board type of material. It was
shipped between 2 thick pieces of cardboard to keep it from being bent,
and i got a photo copy of a page from an upcoming Legionnaires. it was
the cave issue with jan and thom down in the rubble of the cave-in.

~Tim~
aka:Bl...@aol.com

Steve Reed

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
Reaus wrote:
>Ben Weiss wrote:

>>Okay, I'll bite ... how much does Jeff [Moy] charge for a commission?

>>[.sig:] Short on the rent, but priorities are priorities... :-)

>$30 ... $25 for the sketch and $5 for priority shipping.

>The first one I got from him, a cool Blok sketch, was 9 x 11 (IIRC, I
>haven't measured it) on a thick poster-board type of material. It was

>shipped between 2 thick pieces of cardboard to keep it from being bent,

>and I got a photocopy of a page from an upcoming Legionnaires. It was
>the cave issue with Jan and Thom down in the rubble of the cave-in.

*sigh* Adept, versatile, reasonably priced, and quite willing to do preboot
characters. Sounds like a good guy.

If only it weren't true that -- as Moy admitted freely to me in one of his few
non-AOL online chats -- he never quite got the hang of drawing wings ...

--
Steve ... Grey...@LSH.org

Suggestions, art, and fan fiction
welcomed for The Dawnstar Aerie!
http://fly.to/dawnstar

bouncing_boy

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99

Reaus wrote in message <38106C...@lowlife.spammers>...

>Ben Weiss wrote:
>>
>> bouncing_boy wrote:
>>
>> > On a similar note...I just recieved in the mail a "Triad and Vi
fighting
>> > over Chuck" sketch from Jeff that I had commissioned (God, I'm such the
>> > fanboy!) and I can say two things about it...
>> > 1: LOLROTFLMAO
>> > 2: Yep. Jeff Moy IS Da Man!!!
>>
>> Okay, I'll bite...how much does Jeff charge for a commission? Ben
>> eleme...@lsh.org
>> Short on the rent, but priorities are priorities... :-)
>
>$30... $25 for the sketch and $5 for priority shipping.
>The first one I got from him, a cool Blok sketch, was 9X11(IIRC, i
>haven't measured it) on a thick poster=board type of material. It was

>shipped between 2 thick pieces of cardboard to keep it from being bent,
>and i got a photo copy of a page from an upcoming Legionnaires. it was
>the cave issue with jan and thom down in the rubble of the cave-in.
>
>~Tim~
>aka:Bl...@aol.com

I actually paid a bit more for mine because he charges more for pictures
with more characters and mine were on a larger piece of poster-board. The
first one I had done by Jeff (which I picked up from him at the San Diego
Comic-Con in 98) was a picture of Chuck and Triad. That one cost me $50 if
I remember correctly. The new one cost me $80 (including $5 S&H) A bit
much perhaps, but well worth the money IMO.

Reaus

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
Steve Reed wrote:

> Reaus wrote:
> >Ben Weiss wrote:
>
> >>Okay, I'll bite ... how much does Jeff [Moy] charge for a commission?
>
> >>[.sig:] Short on the rent, but priorities are priorities... :-)
>
> >$30 ... $25 for the sketch and $5 for priority shipping.
>
> >The first one I got from him, a cool Blok sketch, was 9 x 11 (IIRC, I
> >haven't measured it) on a thick poster-board type of material. It was

> >shipped between 2 thick pieces of cardboard to keep it from being bent,
> >and I got a photocopy of a page from an upcoming Legionnaires. It was
> >the cave issue with Jan and Thom down in the rubble of the cave-in.
>
> *sigh* Adept, versatile, reasonably priced, and quite willing to do preboot
> characters. Sounds like a good guy.
>
> If only it weren't true that -- as Moy admitted freely to me in one of his few
> non-AOL online chats -- he never quite got the hang of drawing wings ...

I would still lay money on it being pretty awesome though!
=)
~tim~

Johanna Draper Carlson

Oct 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/22/99
"bouncing_boy" <bounci...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On a similar note...I just recieved in the mail a "Triad and Vi fighting
> over Chuck" sketch from Jeff that I had commissioned

That was yours? I saw that recently when Jeff was here for a signing, and it
was terrific. I almost asked him for a copy.

Johanna

David Crowe

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
Steve Reed <Stev...@earthling.net> wrote:

:
: >The first one I got from him, a cool Blok sketch, was 9 x 11 (IIRC, I
: >haven't measured it) on a thick poster-board type of material. It was
: >shipped between 2 thick pieces of cardboard to keep it from being bent,
: >and I got a photocopy of a page from an upcoming Legionnaires. It was
: >the cave issue with Jan and Thom down in the rubble of the cave-in.

: *sigh* Adept, versatile, reasonably priced, and quite willing to do preboot
: characters. Sounds like a good guy.

I've tried to get a Moy sketch at the last 3 San Deigo Comic Cons, and no
matter how soon I get to his table after the room opens, he's always
booked solid for the day. I could do the mail order, but where's the
challenge in that... :)

: If only it weren't true that -- as Moy admitted freely to me in one of his few

: non-AOL online chats -- he never quite got the hang of drawing wings ...

You could always have him draw Bounty.... <d, g, r)

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe http://www.primenet.com/~jetman

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find out who this Cubone guy is. Any
cute cartoon animal who wears the skull of one of his defeated enemies as
headwear is my kinda cute cartoon animal.
-Kurt Busiek on Pokemon

Steve Reed

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
David Crowe wrote:
>Steve Reed wrote:

>>If only it weren't true that -- as Moy admitted freely to me in one of his
>>few non-AOL online chats -- he never quite got the hang of drawing wings ...

>You could always have him draw Bounty ... <d, g, r>

Oooooooh. Just for that, I'm gonna persuade Quislet to inhabit your car's fuel
injector ;)

--
* Stev...@earthling.net *

Any time you see another proposal to restrict the
Internet, here's the company the proposers keep.

"The twenty enemies of the Internet
[where access is restricted or prohibited]:

"Azerbaijan, Belarus, Burma, China, Cuba,
Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kirghizia, Libya,
North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone,
Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan,
Uzbekistan, and Vietnam."

-- Reporters sans Frontières
http://www.rsf.fr/uk/alaune/ennemisweb.html

bouncing_boy

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99

Johanna Draper Carlson wrote in message
<7uqned$kro$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net>...

Yep it's mine, unless Jeff did another one with the same subject. When he
sent me the e-mail telling me it was done he said he was going to be out of
town for a signing and wouldn't be able to send it until he got back, so I'm
guessing that he must have taken it with him. He did a great job on it. My
eyes just about popped out of my head when I saw the scan he sent me in the
e-mail telling me it was done.

Mark

Johanna Draper Carlson

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
"bouncing_boy" <bounci...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> sent me the e-mail telling me it was done he said he was going to be out of
> town for a signing and wouldn't be able to send it until he got back, so I'm
> guessing that he must have taken it with him.

I think so. And while he was here, he did a sketch for the store owner of
the Super-Pets that was terrific! I'd love to post it, but I wouldn't want
to ruin his market by putting out scans. :)

Johanna

Rusty

Oct 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/24/99
David Crowe wrote in message <7urh2c$hih$2...@nnrp02.primenet.com>...

>Steve Reed <Stev...@earthling.net> wrote:
>: Reaus wrote:
>: >Ben Weiss wrote:
>
>: >>Okay, I'll bite ... how much does Jeff [Moy] charge for a commission?
>
>: >>[.sig:] Short on the rent, but priorities are priorities... :-)
>
>: >$30 ... $25 for the sketch and $5 for priority shipping.
>:
>: >The first one I got from him, a cool Blok sketch, was 9 x 11 (IIRC, I
>: >haven't measured it) on a thick poster-board type of material. It was
>: >shipped between 2 thick pieces of cardboard to keep it from being bent,
>: >and I got a photocopy of a page from an upcoming Legionnaires. It was
>: >the cave issue with Jan and Thom down in the rubble of the cave-in.
>
>: *sigh* Adept, versatile, reasonably priced, and quite willing to do
preboot
>: characters. Sounds like a good guy.
>
>I've tried to get a Moy sketch at the last 3 San Deigo Comic Cons, and no
>matter how soon I get to his table after the room opens, he's always
>booked solid for the day. I could do the mail order, but where's the
>challenge in that... :)

I got lucky! I found him at an anime convention (anime central)!!! I never
did find out why he was there (friends dragged him I think) but I got a
spiffy Xs and elf Kinetix drawing! I think he only had two commissions that
whole con! Anyway I still have it hanging on my desktop today. :) I think
he photocopied it so next time you see him at a show you'll I'm sure you'll
see what he drew for me. :) I think I paid $35.00 for a 2 character
drawing. He was surprised that I was able to pull out a Legion comic for
him to autograph. :) HE HE! Never leave home without a legion comic! :)

Rusty

David Crowe

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
Rusty <mag...@borg.com> wrote:
: David Crowe wrote in message <7urh2c$hih$2...@nnrp02.primenet.com>...
: >
: >I've tried to get a Moy sketch at the last 3 San Deigo Comic Cons, and no

: >matter how soon I get to his table after the room opens, he's always
: >booked solid for the day. I could do the mail order, but where's the
: >challenge in that... :)
: >

: I got lucky! I found him at an anime convention (anime central)!!! I never
: did find out why he was there (friends dragged him I think) but I got a

Look _real_ carefully at his work. See all those anime in-jokes? The
somewhat larger than average eyes? Moy's a big anime fan.

: spiffy Xs and elf Kinetix drawing! I think he only had two commissions that

: whole con! Anyway I still have it hanging on my desktop today. :) I think
: he photocopied it so next time you see him at a show you'll I'm sure you'll
: see what he drew for me. :) I think I paid $35.00 for a 2 character
: drawing. He was surprised that I was able to pull out a Legion comic for
: him to autograph. :) HE HE! Never leave home without a legion comic! :)

Say, where do you live...? :)

Danny Miller

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
In article <380FEF46...@earthlink.net>, Ben Weiss
<benw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> bouncing_boy wrote:
>
> > On a similar note...I just recieved in the mail a "Triad and Vi

> > fighting over Chuck" sketch from Jeff that I had commissioned (God, I'm

> > such the fanboy!) and I can say two things about it...
> > 1: LOLROTFLMAO
> > 2: Yep. Jeff Moy IS Da Man!!!
>
> Okay, I'll bite...how much does Jeff charge for a commission? Ben
> eleme...@lsh.org

> Short on the rent, but priorities are priorities... :-)

In that case, ask for a sketch of Lyle using his powers on a blank
background, and have him email you the results. :)

--
Death may not stop true love, but it can put a real damper on blind
dates. -- Elizabeth Celeste

Rusty

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

David Crowe wrote in message <7v0jch$9s7$2...@nnrp03.primenet.com>...

>Rusty <mag...@borg.com> wrote:
>: David Crowe wrote in message <7urh2c$hih$2...@nnrp02.primenet.com>...
>: >
>: >I've tried to get a Moy sketch at the last 3 San Deigo Comic Cons, and
no
>: >matter how soon I get to his table after the room opens, he's always
>: >booked solid for the day. I could do the mail order, but where's the
>: >challenge in that... :)
>: >
>
>: I got lucky! I found him at an anime convention (anime central)!!! I
never
>: did find out why he was there (friends dragged him I think) but I got a
>
>Look _real_ carefully at his work. See all those anime in-jokes? The
>somewhat larger than average eyes? Moy's a big anime fan.

I know he is a fan, but at the con he was saying that he's really not into
Japanimation that much anymore. So that got me to think he was dragged
there. :) Its been at least 6 issues since his last anime in-joke (I think
that issue was the Kono and the Antique Robot ones) so I think he is getting
away from that somewhat. I asked him if he had an interest to do his own
manga series, but he seemed to enjoy working for the bigs than go into self
pub. He shown me his tryouts for Star Trek and his wide eyed look was
greatly changed to accommodate what Trekker fans expect from their artists.
So I had this feeling that his art is going to change somewhat with his next
major gig on some series. It's a pity because I think he could gain the
popularity of American Manga stars such as Adam Warren (Dirty Pair and some
Gen 13) or Fred Perry (Gold Digger and Legend). :) Anyway now days most of
the new titles today has that wide eye look so Moy gets a little lost with
the crowd in that aspect. I think it started with Image mostly back in the
early 90's and it become popular where many more series has that look. Mind
you that besides Legion I only read Spider Girl, Impulse and Young Justice
for superhero comics. I barely glance at what else is out there for
Superheros as my tastes are more independent and manga related.

>: spiffy Xs and elf Kinetix drawing! I think he only had two commissions
that
>: whole con! Anyway I still have it hanging on my desktop today. :) I
think
>: he photocopied it so next time you see him at a show you'll I'm sure
you'll
>: see what he drew for me. :) I think I paid $35.00 for a 2 character
>: drawing. He was surprised that I was able to pull out a Legion comic for
>: him to autograph. :) HE HE! Never leave home without a legion comic! :)
>
>Say, where do you live...? :)

HEHE! I live in Central New York. It was a 17 hour drive to Anime Central
(where I was a dealer there selling manga.) I always bring a collection of
hobby stuff incase I meet someone and also to shove into others faces to
tell them that Legion comics are just as good as manga as long as Moy is on
the job! ;)

Rusty

WildCard

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
In article <7usie2$hp4$1...@nntp4.atl.mindspring.net>,
Johanna Draper Carlson <joha...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>"bouncing_boy" <bounci...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>I think so. And while he was here, he did a sketch for the store owner of
>the Super-Pets that was terrific! I'd love to post it, but I wouldn't want
>to ruin his market by putting out scans. :)

Speaking of scans, does anyone know where Jeff's web site moved to?
Or was it never re-established?

Wayne

Johanna Draper Carlson

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
wild...@fnord.io.com (WildCard) wrote:

> Speaking of scans, does anyone know where Jeff's web site moved to?
> Or was it never re-established?

Last I heard, he hasn't put it back up yet. Although he's apparently been
advertising some stuff on eBay.

Johanna

Tim Flick

Aug 12, 2023, 10:03:16 PM8/12/23
I recently found all these story submissions and web pages in an archive folder on my laptop. Can't believe I managed to save all that stuff!
So I did a bit of googling and found this old thread. (I'm Reaus / Tim by the way..)

It doesn't look like any of the old crew is still around, but I wanted to say hi anyway.

What a trip down memory lane :)
Hard to believe that this was nearly 24 years ago!