[SOM] The School Drabble #7 - What Price Power?

Dave Van Domelen

May 30, 2021, 12:50:20 AM5/30/21
Drabbles of The School
#7 - What Price Power?
copyright 2021 by Dave Van Domelen

"So...what's the ultimate price of magic?" I asked Ms. Cerulean. While
she was mostly a field operative, she did come back to The School to check up
on her recruits.
"Who says it MUST have a price? Oh, for Wizards the price is paid up
front, in study and sleepless nights. You're familiar with that price. But
for Magical Girls...and you...it's just another inherited trait. You're not
going to turn into a demon or die from overuse of your powers. I mean,
what's the ultimate price of having red hair?"
I considered. "An increased tendency to sunburn?"

Author's Notes:

The 100 word limit is just for the part between the === lines.

Wrote this after watching the final episode of Puella Magi Madoka
Magica.

For more about The School, my take on magical girls, see:

http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/School/index.html

Drew Nilium

Jun 12, 2021, 1:36:17 AM6/12/21
On 5/30/21 12:50 AM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
<snip>
> "Who says it MUST have a price? Oh, for Wizards the price is paid up
> front, in study and sleepless nights. You're familiar with that price. But
> for Magical Girls...and you...it's just another inherited trait. You're not
> going to turn into a demon or die from overuse of your powers. I mean,
> what's the ultimate price of having red hair?"
> I considered. "An increased tendency to sunburn?"

Hmmmmmm, interesting. You could say that the price of this power is the
responsibility to use it well.

> Wrote this after watching the final episode of Puella Magi Madoka
> Magica.

Ahhhhhh, yes. X3

Drew "now that's a show with Opinions about power and prices" Nilium

Dave Van Domelen

Jun 12, 2021, 2:28:46 PM6/12/21
In article <sa1f3p$jsg$1...@dont-email.me>,
Oddly, I posted a longer piece almost a week ago, and it still hasn't
shown up. http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/School/Diversity for a direct link.

Dave Van Domelen, learned a good percentage of what he knows about the
Magical Girl genre from Drew's Tumblr.

Russ Allbery

Jun 12, 2021, 2:48:17 PM6/12/21
dva...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) writes:

> Oddly, I posted a longer piece almost a week ago, and it still hasn't
> shown up.

Sorry, my bad. New keyword so it didn't go through automatically and I
thought I'd approved it when I hadn't.

--
Russ Allbery (ea...@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Drew Nilium

Jun 12, 2021, 11:22:21 PM6/12/21
On 6/12/21 2:28 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
<snip>
> Dave Van Domelen, learned a good percentage of what he knows about the
> Magical Girl genre from Drew's Tumblr.

>:D eeeeeeeeexcellent~

Drew "servin' the people" Nilium

Arthur Spitzer