LNH/META: A Brief History of Reception at LNHHQ

Tom Russell

Feb 20, 2006, 12:21:32 AM2/20/06
A BRIEF HISTORY OF RECEPTION AT LNHHQ
A HANDY-DANDY REFERENCE DOCUMENT
COBBLED TOGETHER WITH THE HELP OF GOOGLE
BY TOM RUSSELL

The earliest appearance I could find of a
receptionist working for the Legion of the Net. Heroes
was in Martin Phipps's GIRLS NIGHT OUT, which I came
across as part of THE DUMBEST LEGION STORIES EVER TOLD
(Phipps, January 17, 1993). The receptionist was
very clearly female, and apparently quite attractive;
in DEJA DUDE AND MASTER BLASTER # 1 (Phipps, January
30, 1993) she is described as possessing some
"BOO-TAY!" by that lovable scamp, Master Blaster.
In THE GOOD GUYS # 2 (Phipps, April 15, 1993), the
receptionist is referred to by both male and female
pronouns. This is not because the character is both
genders, or even gender-neutral, but because, as
Martin informs us in a footnote, there are, in fact,
two receptionists: one man and one woman. As to which
one is running the desk in this issue of THE GOOD
GUYS, we are never informed; in this particular
instance, it's a Schroedinger's Receptionist.
A nameless receptionist, referred to without any
gender-specific pronouns, racks up a number of
appearances in the summer of '93, mostly in Ken
Schmidt's work. It's not until LNH COMICS PRESENTS #
4 (Schmidt, July 22, 1993) that a receptionist bears a
name: Fred.
It is explained in this story that the female
receptionist is Fred's sometimes girlfriend and
Captain CleanUp's sister, Crystal.

--

CRYSTAL'S APPEARANCES

Crystal, as near as I can ascertain, never makes an
appearance in which she is named. Discounting
appearances in which the receptionist's gender is
indiscriminate, she appears in the following stories:

The Dumbest Legion Stories Ever Told (Phipps)
LNH # 3 (Phipps)
Deja Dude and Master Blaster # 1 (Phipps)
The Coming of Elvis Man # 2 (Gary St. Lawrence)
Dramatic Introduction (Andre Condon)
The Good Guys # 2 (Phipps)

She does not appear, but is mentioned by name, in:

Teens in Trenchcoats # 2 (Rawluk)
LNH Comics Presents # 4 (Schmidt)
LNH Comics Presents # 5 (Schmidt, Phipps)

--

But wait, there's more: LNH COMICS PRESENTS # 4, in
addition to naming Fred and Crystal, also introduces
_three_ more receptionists: Kyoko Ishikawa, Bart
Sears, and Lester O'Brien. It turns out, as Kyoko
explains, that they each cover the desk in six hour
shifts, per the instructions of the Ultimate Ninja.
According to an LNH FAQ first posted by Jeff Barnes
on November 15, 1993, the identity of the receptionist
on duty is a "running joke". Over time, however,
Lester and Bart have been phased out, leaving Kyoko
and Fred-- between whom there exists little confusion.
How did Bart and Lester disappear? One dramatically,
the other without fanfare. How did Kyoko and Fred
become so damn popular? One by having personality,
the other just plain dumb luck.
Read on, Mac Duff!

LESTER

Lester is mentioned by name only in

LNH Comics Presents # 4 (Schmidt)
LNH Comics Presents # 5 (Schmidt, Phipps),

making his first actual appearance in

LNH Comics Presents # 7 (Schmidt).

In this story, he has a brief but tense exchange
with Bad Timing Boy, and is referred to as "Les". His
other appearances are

LNH Comics Presents # 8 & 28 (Schmidt)
Alt.er.net.tives # 1 (Marie Antoon)
Misfits # 17 (Jennifer Whiston)
LNH Triple Play # 8 (Schmidt)
Easily-Discovered Man # 25 (Rob Rogers)

Like the vastly more popular Fred, his appearances
are, for the most part, purely utilitarian, playing
straight man to the various loonies. After that, he
simply ceases to appear.

BART

Bart is mentioned by name only in

LNH Comics Presents # 4 (Schmidt)
C.H.E.E.E.Z. Corps # 1113 (Kyle Lucke)

He racked up only two appearances--

LNH Comics Presents # 5 (Schmidt, Phipps)
Fan. Boy # 2 (Jamas Enright)

-- before his transformation to the Dark
Receptionist in

Kid Kiwi's Kommandos # 1, 2 & 7 (Descrii).

And this is the last we hear from Bart; since no
replacement has ever been mentioned, I find it likely
that Fred has simply assimilated his shift.

WHICH BRINGS US TO KYOKO

Kyoko Ishikawa is certainly more popular and, one
could argue, significant, than Bart, Lester, and
Crystal. She is unique among the four "regular"
receptionists in that she possesses a strong, palpable
presence and personality; thanks, in no small part, to
Jennifer Whiston's acclaimed and excellent MISFITS, in
which she makes ten appearances. She is mentioned by
name only in

LNH Comics Presents # 5 (Schmidt, Phipps)

and appears in

LNH Comics Presents # 4, 12, 28 (Schmidt)
LNH # 86 (Phipps)
C.H.E.E.E.Z. Corps # 13 (Lucke)
Misfits # 1, 10, 16, 17, 23, 25, 29, 31, 34, 35
(Whiston)
Writer's Block Woman (and Mouse) # 22-25 (Jaelle)
Limp-Asparagus Lad # 34 (Saxon Brenton)
The Net.ropolis Project # 2 (Aaron Veenstra)
Barefoot in Hell # 3 (Descrii)
Kid Kiwi's Kommandos # 2 (Descrii)
Plotline Lad # 1 (Veenstra)
Fish Force # 6 (Kieran O'Callaghan)
Tales of the LNH # 337 (Hubert Bartles)
Terror in Got.ham City (Enright)
Cauliflower the Christmas Miracle Pooch # 1 & 4
(Arthur Spitzer)

In the final LNH ACCIES award ceremony, held early
last year as part of the RACCies, Kyoko was voted
favourite supporting character-- specifically, I
think, for her appearances with the aforementioned
pooch of miracles. She is easily the most developed
of all the LNH receptionists, and with twenty-nine
actual appearances, is second in popularity only to
Fred.

FRED

Fred is the only receptionist who, as far as my
research shows, has yet to be given a last name. And
though there have been some strong Fred-centric
stories (TALES OF THE LNH # 350, for example, or last
year's LEGION OF NET.HEROES Vol. 2 # 6), he still has
yet to show much personality. Most of the time, he's
just there to fulfill some plot purpose or to react to
some strange going-on; most of the time, he's just
*there*. One wonders while Lester O'Brien, who has
the same basic lack of personality, fell by the
way-side while Fred has remained a favourite; it might
be because a bland, generic name like Fred suits a
bland personality. Perhaps "Les" is too flamboyant a
name for a non-entity.
Not that I dislike Fred, mind you: I've yet to use
any of the other regular receptionists in one of my
stories. He just seems like a character who should
get the spotlight more often; and, perhaps, one that
deserves a second look and some development. One can
probably extrapolate some personality from the stories
he has appeared in:

LNH Comics Presents # 4, 6, 20, 24 (Schmidt)
LNH # 70, 86 (Phipps)
Alt.er.net.tives # 0 (Antoon)
Tales of the LNH # 292, 293, 301, 309, 318-321, 350,
361 (Bartles)
Pliable Lad # 20, 30 (Mike Escutia)
Writer's Block Woman (and Mouse) # 4, 6, 9-11 (Jaelle)
Particle Man # 21 (Jameel Al-Khafiz)
Guitar Man # 1 (Campbell Marsh)
ELFFORCE # 2, 4/ ELF # 22, 24 (Wayne Parillo)
Crisis of the Infinite Sidekicks (Escutia)
C.H.E.E.E.Z. Corps # 17 (Lucke)
Generation Y # 17 (Phipps)
Plotline Lad: The New Kid # 4-6 (Veenstra)
Limp-Asparagus Lad # 20 (Brenton)
Fish Force # 5 (O'Callaghan)
Flame Wars 4 # 1-3 (Jamie Rosen, Brenton, Phipps)
Curious Lass and Psionic Lad # 1 (Carolyn Vaughan)
a.outSiders # 1, 6, 8 (Ted Brock)
Dvandom Force # 90 (Dave Von Domelon)
Teens in Trenchcoats # 1-2 (Rawluk)
Journey Into Irrelevancy # 22 (Tom Russell)
The Continuing Adventures of Miss Translation # 7
(Rosen)
Master Blaster and Future Lass # 1/ Master Blaster and
Future Girl # 1/ Master Blaster and Twaelia # 1
(Brock)
Net.heroes on Parade # 18 (Russell)
The Team # 48 (Jesse Willey)
Legion of Net. Heroes Vol. 2 # 1, 6 (Rosen)
Vel # 11 (Willey)
Master Blaster: Super Bowl Special (Russell)

Fred also makes numerous appearances in four recent
cascade/chaotic add-on stories:

Saviours of the Net (1998, 1999, 2000)
Jesse Willey's Grocery List (2002, 2003)
Mutton Mania (2000)
Just Imagine! Saxon Brenton's RACCies (2005)

... and really, I'm too lazy and tired at the
moment to hunt down the individual messages. But,
counting the add-ons, for the moment, as one story
each, Fred has made a whopping fifty-nine appearances.

AND AS FOR THE OTHERS

Suzy, a temporary receptionist, was trained by Fred
in TALES OF THE LNH # 350 (Bartles). Fred's cousin,
Kelly, was introduced in NET.HEROES ON PARADE # 14
(Russell), and was murdered in that same issue.

--Tom Russell, 2006

http://mail.yahoo.com

Jamas Enright

Feb 20, 2006, 1:30:48 AM2/20/06
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Tom Russell wrote:

> A BRIEF HISTORY OF RECEPTION AT LNHHQ
> A HANDY-DANDY REFERENCE DOCUMENT
> COBBLED TOGETHER WITH THE HELP OF GOOGLE
> BY TOM RUSSELL

An excellent coverage of the receptionists, but honourable mentions should
also go to Sally and John, the Ultimate Ninja's personal assistants,
created by Descrii in Kid Kiwi's Kommandos.

I would cite references and appearances, but Tom's Google-fu is proving
better than I could do right now...

--
Jamas Enright
"Answers answered and questions questioned."

"If a great state has decided by law that twice two is five, it would be
foolish to allow mathematicians to testify." - Comment during the Scopes
Monkey Trial.

martin...@yahoo.com

Feb 21, 2006, 2:20:04 AM2/21/06
A female receptionist was also mentioned in Tales of the LNH #286 but
the original post is missing from Google.

Martin

martin...@yahoo.com

Feb 21, 2006, 3:01:37 AM2/21/06
Tom Russell wrote:
> A BRIEF HISTORY OF RECEPTION AT LNHHQ
> A HANDY-DANDY REFERENCE DOCUMENT
> COBBLED TOGETHER WITH THE HELP OF GOOGLE
> BY TOM RUSSELL
>
> The earliest appearance I could find of a
> receptionist working for the Legion of the Net. Heroes
> was in Martin Phipps's GIRLS NIGHT OUT, which I came
> across as part of THE DUMBEST LEGION STORIES EVER TOLD
> (Phipps, January 17, 1993).

There's a problem. Using Google, LNH posts prior to January 17th, 1993
are a bit spotty. I couldn't find any LNH posts at all prior to July
5th, 1992, so the original Cosmic Plot Device Caper posts from May,
1992 are, in fact, gone from Google and are only saved by reposts or
the eyrie archives. Even some posts after January 17th, 1993 are
missing: I couldn't, for example, find my original posting of LNH #70
(part two of Acts of Violence) in which Crystal made a named
appearance.

In any case, the first appearance of the receptionist was in Tales of
the LNH #278 by Hubert Bartles. I can't find the original post but I
know it was posted prior to January 17th, 1993. In fact, I satirized
Hubert's description of the LNH Lobby in a January 18th story I posted.
I can't find the story where I first mentioned the Lobby: again, it
would have been sometime in Janauary, 1993. I didn't mention the
receptionist at all in Girls Night Out so I'm not sure how it came up
in your Google search.

Anyway, I have to get back to work.

Martin

Jamas Enright

Feb 21, 2006, 3:40:42 AM2/21/06
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 martin...@yahoo.com wrote:

> A female receptionist was also mentioned in Tales of the LNH #286 but
> the original post is missing from Google.

Looking in the Eyrie archives, in Tales back then the receptionist was
male (and was in #278 as well). (And also refers to the receptionist's
girlfriend).

Tom Russell

Feb 21, 2006, 11:53:04 AM2/21/06

martin...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Tom Russell wrote:
> > A BRIEF HISTORY OF RECEPTION AT LNHHQ
> > A HANDY-DANDY REFERENCE DOCUMENT
> > COBBLED TOGETHER WITH THE HELP OF GOOGLE
> > BY TOM RUSSELL
> >
> > The earliest appearance I could find of a
> > receptionist working for the Legion of the Net. Heroes
> > was in Martin Phipps's GIRLS NIGHT OUT, which I came
> > across as part of THE DUMBEST LEGION STORIES EVER TOLD
> > (Phipps, January 17, 1993).
>
> There's a problem. Using Google, LNH posts prior to January 17th, 1993
> are a bit spotty. I couldn't find any LNH posts at all prior to July
> 5th, 1992, so the original Cosmic Plot Device Caper posts from May,
> 1992 are, in fact, gone from Google and are only saved by reposts or
> the eyrie archives. Even some posts after January 17th, 1993 are
> missing: I couldn't, for example, find my original posting of LNH #70
> (part two of Acts of Violence) in which Crystal made a named
> appearance.

Thanks for pointing this out, Martin. I did locate some of the
original LNH thread and the original LNH story in google group
rec.arts.comics, not rec.arts.comics.misc-- but as to how complete this
is, I'm not sure.

I'll take note of Crystal's appearance--

> In any case, the first appearance of the receptionist was in Tales of
> the LNH #278 by Hubert Bartles. I can't find the original post but I

--and this information-- in the next version of the document. Thank
you everyone for your assistance and comments.

> know it was posted prior to January 17th, 1993. In fact, I satirized
> Hubert's description of the LNH Lobby in a January 18th story I posted.
> I can't find the story where I first mentioned the Lobby: again, it
> would have been sometime in Janauary, 1993. I didn't mention the
> receptionist at all in Girls Night Out so I'm not sure how it came up
> in your Google search.

Ahem:

Legion of Net.Heroes -- Girls Night Out!

<<SNIP>>

"Alright," said Lurking Girl, "get him into the bandwagon! I'll
contact HQ!" Lurking Girl pick's up the bandwagon's cellular phone
and dials the reception desk as Manga Man is put in the back of the
bandwagon.
"Hello. Legion Headquarters."
"Yes, is Reb there?"
"Who may I say is calling?"
"Look, this is important! We've just captured Manga Man!"
"Alright, let's see ... no he's not available right now."
"Well ... alright then, get me Ultimate Ninja!"
"I'm sorry, Ultimate Ninja has told me to hold all his calls."
"Just tell *somebody* that we're on our way with Manga Man!"
"I'll make a note of it."
"Yo DO that!" Lurking Girl slammed the phone down.
"Have a nice --"
"I don't get it! If Martin dislikes the receptionist idea so much,
why does he keep using her?"
"Now, now, Tori ..."
"OK, OK, I'm in character! Now let's get out of here before Manga
Man wakes up!"

--Tom

martin...@yahoo.com

Feb 21, 2006, 8:38:54 PM2/21/06
Ah. My mistake. That explains a lot. :)

Martin

martin...@yahoo.com

Feb 21, 2006, 9:02:58 PM2/21/06

My mistake. Of course, it was obviously not the receptionist's first
appearance because it says "If Martin dislikes the receptionist idea so
much, why does he keep using her?" meaning 1) I had used the
receptionist before and 2) it wasn't originally my idea. As Jamas
pointed out, the receptionist which appeared (for the first time) in
Hubert's Tales of the LNH #278 was male (and obviously Fred). Fred's
sister, Crystal, was brought in to explain why I refered to the
receptionist as female (and to explain why there was always someone at
the reception desk all day and all night).

You do realize that this was thirteen years ago, right? :)

Martin

Tom Russell

Feb 22, 2006, 10:19:00 AM2/22/06

martin...@yahoo.com wrote:

> You do realize that this was thirteen years ago, right? :)

Yes. I wasn't trying to be snarky. I figured my information was in
some way incomplete. I'll do some more research and repost later this
year, incorporating the fine assistance I've recieved from you, Jamas,
and Jesse Willey.

Any other old timers want to add something/weigh in on this/give some
background info?

> Martin

--Tom

Saxon Brenton

Feb 22, 2006, 3:06:35 PM2/22/06
On Sundy 19 Feb 2006 Tom Russell <milos_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

[second post at this, since the first hasn't turned up in the past 24 hours]

While otherwise engaged in stocktaking at the library, I recalled that in
_Zeal_ #1 by Kevin Banda there was an automated secretary. Said
automated secretary was unnamed, but I've always liked to think that
it was W.I.L.B.U.R. filling in for someone who was away on sick leave,
since that's the type of thing he was built for.

---
Saxon Brenton Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
saxon....@uts.edu.au

New year, new job - there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

martin...@yahoo.com

Feb 22, 2006, 6:22:48 PM2/22/06
Tom Russell wrote:
> martin...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Tom Russell wrote:
> > > A BRIEF HISTORY OF RECEPTION AT LNHHQ
> > > A HANDY-DANDY REFERENCE DOCUMENT
> > > COBBLED TOGETHER WITH THE HELP OF GOOGLE
> > > BY TOM RUSSELL
> > >
> > > The earliest appearance I could find of a
> > > receptionist working for the Legion of the Net. Heroes
> > > was in Martin Phipps's GIRLS NIGHT OUT, which I came
> > > across as part of THE DUMBEST LEGION STORIES EVER TOLD
> > > (Phipps, January 17, 1993).
> >
> > There's a problem. Using Google, LNH posts prior to January 17th, 1993
> > are a bit spotty. I couldn't find any LNH posts at all prior to July
> > 5th, 1992, so the original Cosmic Plot Device Caper posts from May,
> > 1992 are, in fact, gone from Google and are only saved by reposts or
> > the eyrie archives. Even some posts after January 17th, 1993 are
> > missing: I couldn't, for example, find my original posting of LNH #70
> > (part two of Acts of Violence) in which Crystal made a named
> > appearance.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out, Martin. I did locate some of the
> original LNH thread and the original LNH story in google group
> rec.arts.comics, not rec.arts.comics.misc-- but as to how complete this
> is, I'm not sure.

Doh! That's right. rec.arts.comics.misc was created during the summer
of 1992. There was no rec.arts.comics.misc before then, let alone LNH
realted posts. Still, there's a lot of LNH stuff missing from late
1992. I don't know how much help the eyrie archives will be for the
older posts because a lot of those posts were only saved as TEBs so you
wouldn't be able to figure out when they were originally posted.

Martin

martin...@yahoo.com

Feb 22, 2006, 9:24:32 PM2/22/06
Jamas Enright wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 martin...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > A female receptionist was also mentioned in Tales of the LNH #286 but
> > the original post is missing from Google.
>
> Looking in the Eyrie archives, in Tales back then the receptionist was
> male (and was in #278 as well). (And also refers to the receptionist's
> girlfriend).

To be fair, the receptionist was not refered to by either pronoun (he
or she) in 286 and, in fact, was only mentioned twice in passing. I
guess I was being sexist in imagining a female receptionist.

Incidentally, the receptionist's (ie Fred's) second appearance appears
to have been Tales #281.

Martin

Arthur Spitzer

Mar 22, 2006, 7:13:01 PM3/22/06
in article 2006022005213...@web31301.mail.mud.yahoo.com, Tom
Russell at milos_...@yahoo.com wrote on 2/19/06 10:21 PM:

> A BRIEF HISTORY OF RECEPTION AT LNHHQ
> A HANDY-DANDY REFERENCE DOCUMENT
> COBBLED TOGETHER WITH THE HELP OF GOOGLE
> BY TOM RUSSELL

A nice little reference document...

Perhaps you could write the Legion of Net.Heroes wikipedia entry. And if
not you someone else probably should.

Superguy has its own one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superguy

And we all know that the LNH is much more important. :)

Arthur "I would if I weren't too lazy" Spitzer

Tom Russell

Mar 22, 2006, 10:22:05 PM3/22/06
I would be honoured to do so.

--Tom

Adrian James McClure

Mar 22, 2006, 10:41:35 PM3/22/06
Of course, the question is, can it avoid being deleted? I think the
LNH is just as important as Kibo or the 50 billion kajillion webcomics
that have Wikipedia articles. But some of hte people in Wikipedia
think that the significance of the Superguy article (which I just added
a few perfunctory edits to) needs to be explained--there was a marker
indicating that in the edit before mine. Whatever.

Tom Russell

Mar 22, 2006, 10:57:24 PM3/22/06
Trust me. I've got footnotes and I've got google.

--Tom

Tom Russell

Mar 23, 2006, 1:04:53 AM3/23/06
Well, it's a start, anyway...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Net._Heroes

... in true WikiSpirit, feel free to edit the text, one and all. I've
tried to keep the number of characters and series mentioned to a
minimum to avoid needless croft. Please keep this in mind. With a
little luck, we might make Featured Article status.

--Tom

Adrian James McClure

Mar 23, 2006, 10:40:49 AM3/23/06
Some thoughts:

1. 119 LNH stories in the last year! Yikes! I'm still not caught up
with everything posted in the past year, so that's a little scary.
Although I guess half of them were "Daily Super Short-Short Story,"
which I have read all of.

2. I didn't know that Kid Kirby was reserved. I could have sworn he's
been appearing continuously in LNH stories forever.

3. It would be nice if we had something in the "LNH canon" that
started in the last five years. I'm probably going to add bits on
"Journey Into Irrelevancy" and "Net.Heroes on Parade," for the LNH
canon, because those are indeed some of the most impressive LNH stories
I've ever read. And perhaps Miss Translation, though while it's a
first-class LNH series I don't know if it has enough issues to really
be significant. (if Jamie Rosen is reading this--hint, hint)

4. I'm impressed. I've never seen anyone use the word "bumbershoot"
ever before.

5. On a semi-related subject, did Matter-Eater Lad seriously come from
a planet called "Bismol?"

Tom Russell

Mar 23, 2006, 11:20:17 AM3/23/06

Adrian James McClure wrote:
> Some thoughts:

[snip]

> 2. I didn't know that Kid Kirby was reserved. I could have sworn he's
> been appearing continuously in LNH stories forever.

Reserved, but useable with permission. Jameel's pretty good about
granting it, too.

Say, anyone hear from Jameel lately?

> 3. It would be nice if we had something in the "LNH canon" that
> started in the last five years. I'm probably going to add bits on
> "Journey Into Irrelevancy" and "Net.Heroes on Parade," for the LNH
> canon, because those are indeed some of the most impressive LNH stories
> I've ever read. And perhaps Miss Translation, though while it's a
> first-class LNH series I don't know if it has enough issues to really
> be significant. (if Jamie Rosen is reading this--hint, hint)

I think Miss Translation would be an excellent addition. I don't
really know if either JII or NHOP qualify as significant: JII has been
done, and better, by both Martin and Saxon; NHOP is in the grand
tradition of the more serious/supernatural LNH stories, like MISFITS
and LOH-- both of which did it better. If someone is going to add
something of mine to the list, please just choose one title.

We do want to keep it relatively short, remember, so as to avoid
charges of cruft; that is, we can't have every series listed. Not that
anyone is suggesting that-- it's just a reminder. LNH writers are
passionate people, and we're passionate about the LNH. Let's not let
our passion override our common sense. (Speaking of our passion-- how
many of you share your RACC work with your friends and family? What is
their general reaction to it?)

For the same reason, I would advise against people creating wikipedia
entries for individual series or characters; if the LNH's profile was
larger-- say, if the Ultimate Ninja had his own TV series, line of
action figures, and perfume-- then it would make sense to have an
Ultimate Ninja article. Since it's largely confined to prose, though,
I don't think Ultimate Ninja would be as important as the LNH itself to
the general reader.

That being said, I think my initial omission of LOH is a grave error.
If someone more familiar with it could post a little blurb, it might
rectify said error.

> 4. I'm impressed. I've never seen anyone use the word "bumbershoot"
> ever before.

It comes from reading Silver Age comics, in which the Penguin is
referred to as The Bumbershoot Bandit.

Somehow that just sounds really, really dirty. :-)

"Penguin! Let go of that bumbershoot!"

--Tom

Dave Van Domelen

Mar 23, 2006, 12:23:43 PM3/23/06
In article <1143128440.0...@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Adrian James McClure <lord_s...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Some thoughts:

>2. I didn't know that Kid Kirby was reserved. I could have sworn he's
>been appearing continuously in LNH stories forever.

He's pretty much a cameo most of the time, keep in mind. Jameel is
still around online, check out http://jameel.livejournal.com

>5. On a semi-related subject, did Matter-Eater Lad seriously come from
>a planet called "Bismol?"

Bismoll, actually. But the principle is the same. ISTR it was later
revealed that the capital city was Pepto, but this isn't in the Who's Who in
the LSH (I just checked).

Dave Van Domelen, glad no one has written an oedipal parody named
Mater-Eater Lad.

Tom Russell

Mar 23, 2006, 2:20:55 PM3/23/06
And before I forget, Adrian--

> "Journey Into Irrelevancy" and "Net.Heroes on Parade," for the LNH
> canon, because those are indeed some of the most impressive LNH stories
> I've ever read.

... thank you for the kind words. Be on the lookout for NHOP TEB Vol.
2 in the next month or two. It requires some pretty extensive
restructuring work, so it might take a while.

--Tom

Jamie Rosen

Mar 23, 2006, 2:57:18 PM3/23/06
> And perhaps Miss Translation, though while it's a
>first-class LNH series I don't know if it has enough issues to really
>be significant. (if Jamie Rosen is reading this--hint, hint)

My ears are burning...

I actually have further issues written for Miss Tran that have yet to
be posted. The problem is, they're set *after* the Search for Miss
Translation arc, so I can't very well post them until that arc is
finished, and I'm kind of stalled on that one. I've got ideas for
jokes, but not much of a story to hang them on...

But it is there.

Jamie Rosen

Mar 23, 2006, 3:11:42 PM3/23/06
>Be on the lookout for NHOP TEB Vol.
>2 in the next month or two.

Looking at the acronym posted so many times, I wonder if we should do a
completely unrelated series called "International Heroes on Parade",
just so we could abbreviate it IHOP.

Nah.

Arthur Spitzer

Mar 23, 2006, 11:59:06 PM3/23/06
in article 1143093884.2...@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, Tom
Russell at milos_...@yahoo.com wrote on 3/22/06 11:04 PM:

That was fast. Looks good.

I added some categories to it.

As to other spinoffs the LNH had:

Net.Trenchcoat Brigade
Jeff McCoskey's Pulp Imprint
Jeff McCoskey's LNH Men
The Order of St. Doomas
Ben Rawluks Legion of Heroes
RACCCafe

Maybe there should be a section about the LNH's Backhistory.
Boy Lad, Agent of the Pulps that sort of thing.

Other important series would be LNH Comics Presents and System Corrupters.

Organic Lass, Catalyst Lass, Dr. Stomper, Parking Karma Kid would be other
important characters.

And when you type LNH it goes to an article on the NHL.

Arthur "Damn those French Canadians" Spitzer

Arthur Spitzer

Mar 24, 2006, 12:08:46 AM3/24/06
in article dvulik$f4h$1...@haven.eyrie.org, Dave Van Domelen at
dva...@haven.eyrie.org wrote on 3/23/06 10:23 AM:

> In article <1143128440.0...@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Adrian James McClure <lord_s...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Some thoughts:
>> 2. I didn't know that Kid Kirby was reserved. I could have sworn he's
>> been appearing continuously in LNH stories forever.
>
> He's pretty much a cameo most of the time, keep in mind. Jameel is
> still around online, check out http://jameel.livejournal.com

It's hard to tell Kid Kirby from the Kirbybots.

Arthur "One is less likely to get blown up for a cheap gag" Spitzer

Arthur Spitzer

Mar 24, 2006, 12:42:16 AM3/24/06
in article 1143093884.2...@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, Tom
Russell at milos_...@yahoo.com wrote on 3/22/06 11:04 PM:

>Dvandom Force[23]: Dave Von Domelen's series is a mixture of high drama,
>political intrigue, and anime-based parody. Probably one of the most admired
>series on RACC, it ended its run with issue # 100. One of the best Dvandom
>Force stories is The Century Pact.

One of the best Dvandom Force stories is the Century Pact? I'm not sure I'd
agree with that.

Arthur "Constellation was better" Spitzer

Tom Russell

Mar 24, 2006, 10:43:09 AM3/24/06

Arthur Spitzer wrote:

> That was fast. Looks good.

Thanks, I tried my best. Also, while I'm at, thank you for the kind
words re: Master Blaster specials, essays & WOMM. The fourth issue of
the latter should be coming out soon-- I'll probably be done writing it
within a week and then I have to send it a few people to approve the
writing of their characters.

> As to other spinoffs the LNH had:
>
> Net.Trenchcoat Brigade
> Jeff McCoskey's Pulp Imprint
> Jeff McCoskey's LNH Men
> The Order of St. Doomas
> Ben Rawluks Legion of Heroes
> RACCCafe
>
> Maybe there should be a section about the LNH's Backhistory.
> Boy Lad, Agent of the Pulps that sort of thing.

I'm not as familiar with the backstory/spinoffs myself, and so I would
be ill-suited to make those changes. However, I do have some
structural advice for any author that does take it upon themselves to
add this information.

I think it would be best suited under the section entitled "The
Looniverse", which details aspects of the LNH world.

The Looniverse
1. The basic info about the Looniverse
2. The back-story
3. The LNH itself
4. Other Notable Teams
5. Spin-Off Series (which would also incorporate the LNHY and LNH2)

Since the discussion of WCs seem to fit better in the Evolution
section, I would then move it there, creating the separate sections:

1. WCs and NWCs
2. Notable Characters
3. Notable Series

We should still act with an eye towards keeping things concise, but I
certainly think the characters section needs fleshing out. First of
all, all the characters listed are men. Now, there are more men than
women (I think) but still, we need to have a few in there.

Also, most of the characters are wReam's-- and, really, this is because
I find that wReam's characters are the most essentially LNH-like.
Since there are many, many more people who have fleshed out the Legion
in the intervening period, things should be more balanced.

I think expanding the character list to an even dozen would be a safe
bet. And...

> Organic Lass, Catalyst Lass, Dr. Stomper, Parking Karma Kid would be other
> important characters.

... these are excellent suggestions, Arthur. I'd say throw in
Sarcastic Lad or Pocket Man for good measure as well.

> And when you type LNH it goes to an article on the NHL.
>
> Arthur "Damn those French Canadians" Spitzer

--Tom "The special spatial properties of LNHQ, its subbasements, and
its Oozelfinches deserve mention, too" Russell

OTL

Mar 28, 2006, 9:56:23 PM3/28/06
"Tom Russell" <milos_...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1143093884.222871.316410
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Sweet! I'm in a Wikipedia article now! :)

Seriously, though: nice job.

(Sorry this is a tad late; my computer died last week, and I'm not fully up
to speed on the new one yet. :( )

--
Brian Perler bpe...@sprynet.com
"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have

Adrian James McClure

Mar 28, 2006, 10:08:55 PM3/28/06
So OTL doesn't show up for months, then I mention him in a story and he
suddenly reappears. Why does this sort of thing keep happening to me
this month? :)

Seriously, welcome back and it's nice to have your stamp of approval on
this.

OTL

Mar 29, 2006, 10:46:27 PM3/29/06
"Adrian James McClure" <lord_s...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> So OTL doesn't show up for months, then I mention him in a story and he
> suddenly reappears. Why does this sort of thing keep happening to me
> this month? :)

Coincidence. Really. (Actually, although I'm more than a bit behind on my
LNH readings, I have been lurking around here. I haven't even read the story
in which he appears yet. Sorry, sorry, I'm trying to catch up.)

> Seriously, welcome back and it's nice to have your stamp of approval on
> this.

Thanks.

--
Brian Perler bpe...@sprynet.com
"I'm sorry. I'm having trouble processing that answer on account of it being