Now full confession

Eric Scerri

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

OK its taken a few days but I think I'm beginning to get the hang of
this group.

So far we have

wannabee academics,
retired academics,
complte cranks,
high school dropouts,
raving loonies,

what no bored housewives?

But in all fairness to the high school dropout. He at least detected to
true error which Scientific American made on my behalf. THE mistake in
the article is where I apparently lay the blame on our (present)
inability to solve the many-body Schrodinger equation. What I should
have said was that even within the orbital approximation there has not
yet been a deductive justification of the order of shell filling. Were
it a slightly more scholarly journal I would have cited Lowdin's paper.

In fact all this was spotted weeks ago by several PROFESSIONAL
physicists who either got in touch with me or wrote to the journal
directly. There will be one such letter as well as a response from me
in a forthcoming issue, probably two months from now. In addition all
the international editions which appear in French, Italian, Spanish,
German, Japanese, Arabic, Chinese and god knows what else have all been
alerted in time.

So all your combined amateur efforts have been in vain but very
entertaining.
I thank you all very much for giving me so much of your not so valuable
time.

It has also been a very interesting for me to "hit the sreets" by
joining this group. Some of the street fighting strategies which I will
no doubt acquire will surely be of great service in my work.

Eric Scerri

Susan Young

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Eric Scerri wrote:

> OK its taken a few days but I think I'm beginning to get the hang of
> this group.
>
> So far we have
>
> wannabee academics,
> retired academics,
> complte cranks,
> high school dropouts,
> raving loonies,
>
> what no bored housewives?

I believe I currently own the rights to that there cliche on this here ng.
(I'm willing to share.) I don't remember ever being bored, though.

ObSong: "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead", Warren Zevon

Meg Worley

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

Rajappa writes:
>And this makes it different from other newsgroups how?

And it makes it bad how?

Not to mention, which is Eric?

Rave away,

meg

--
m...@steam.stanford.edu Comparatively Literate

Alan R. Light

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Eric Scerri <scra...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>OK its taken a few days but I think I'm beginning to get the hang of
>this group.
>

>So far we have
>
>wannabee academics,
>retired academics,
>complte cranks,
>high school dropouts,
>raving loonies,
>
>what no bored housewives?

Ah, but in addition to yourself, whom you have described well enough,
considering the abilities you have displayed, there are also other posters
to this newsgroup.

They include:

Businessmen (some with doctorates)
Well known writers and theorists
Genuine Academics (some a little strange, but most are competent)
Librarians
Scientists and Researchers
Engineers
and myself, among others. The common thread is we like books --
that doesn't mean we all choose a book and then discuss it.
Chances are half the group wouldn't want to read that particular book,
and other have already read it, or are too busy with another book
to do so immediately. Thus, the discussion often includes books,
but hardly exclusively. If you have a book-related question, however,
somebody on the group can almost certainly help you. Well, maybe not you.

Alan
--
alight@ / http://users.vnet.net/alight \
vnet. / Free etexts @ http://www.ipl.org \

Michael Kagalenko

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Alan R. Light (ali...@katie.vnet.net) wrote in article <70dvcb$t1f$1...@katie.vnet.net>

You forgot accordion players.

Anatoly Vorobey

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:19:35 -0800,
Eric Scerri <scra...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>OK its taken a few days but I think I'm beginning to get the hang of
>this group.
>

>So far we have
>
>wannabee academics,
>retired academics,
>complte cranks,
>high school dropouts,
>raving loonies,
>
>what no bored housewives?

You are clueless. You have zero understanding of the purpose
and character of this newsgroup, you cannot avoid resorting
to incredibly stupid ad hominems, you cannot even formulate your
own opinion consistently, and you couldn't argue your way out of
an *open* paper bag.

Please go away. If you don't, strange and terrible things will happen
to you. Sophia Barkat will write a verse about you and rhyme your
family name (ideas, anyone?). Paschal will tell you that she likes you.
Kagalenko will write thirty-seven one-liners following up your posts.
Jim Collier will ask you to name any books you read lately.
If you value whatever in you that passes for sanity, get out while
you still can, and be VERY careful not to look back on your way out.

*Sheesh*.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mel...@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/

paschal

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98

On 18 Oct 1998, Alan R. Light wrote:

> Eric Scerri <scra...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >OK its taken a few days but I think I'm beginning to get the hang of
> >this group.
> >

> >So far we have
> >
> >wannabee academics,
> >retired academics,
> >complte cranks,
> >high school dropouts,
> >raving loonies,
> >
> >what no bored housewives?
>

> Ah, but in addition to yourself, whom you have described well enough,
> considering the abilities you have displayed, there are also other posters
> to this newsgroup.
>
> They include:
>
> Businessmen (some with doctorates)
> Well known writers and theorists
> Genuine Academics (some a little strange, but most are competent)
> Librarians
> Scientists and Researchers
> Engineers
> and myself, among others. The common thread is we like books --
> that doesn't mean we all choose a book and then discuss it.
> Chances are half the group wouldn't want to read that particular book,
> and other have already read it, or are too busy with another book
> to do so immediately. Thus, the discussion often includes books,
> but hardly exclusively. If you have a book-related question, however,
> somebody on the group can almost certainly help you. Well, maybe not you.

(I'm not sure he's really interested in asking questions...)

But, Gee: where do *I* fit? I'm NONE of those listed things!

I usually feel like the shaggy, stray mutt who showed up at the back door
one night; and who, due to the kindness of the collective r.a.b. heart, is
allowed to sleep in the garage.

But I do love books. Boom-Boom told me long ago that loving books was
enough. :-P

-P.

Ken MacIver

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:27:44 -0700, o...@damned.spam (Larisa) wrote:

>Eric Scerri says...

[snip of idiot savant stuff, ending with]

>: what no bored housewives?
>
>Doesn't Sophy qualify?

Stone cold.

SubGenius

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98

Chris Krolczyk

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
o...@damned.spam (Larisa) writes:

>x-no-archive:yes

>Eric Scerri says...

>: what no bored housewives?

>Doesn't Sophy qualify?

He wrote "bored housewives", not "housewiving bores".

--
Chris Krolczyk
krol...@mcs.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/3048

Sanjiva Prasad

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
paschal:

> I usually feel like the shaggy, stray mutt who showed up at the back door
> one night; and who, due to the kindness of the collective r.a.b. heart, is
> allowed to sleep in the garage.

Paschal, you're a *cat*. You're in the garage since we are all tired of
having to get up to let you out ever so often.

> But I do love books. Boom-Boom told me long ago that loving books was
> enough. :-P

So what is your act? You curl up with a few pages between the covers?
And then...?

-S.

tejas

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98

It's a litter box gambit. Probably of the mentholated/deodorized
variety.

ObHow-To-Book: KITTY TORTURE by DS Phantom & Bosco da Gama
--
TBSa...@richmond.infi.net (also te...@infi.net)
'Do the boogie woogie in the South American way'

Francis Muir

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
tejas:

> Sanjiva Prasad:

> > paschal:
> >
> > > I usually feel like the shaggy, stray mutt who showed up at the
> > > back door one night; and who, due to the kindness of the
> > > collective r.a.b. heart, is allowed to sleep in the garage.
> >
> > Paschal, you're a *cat*. You're in the garage since we are all tired
> > of having to get up to let you out ever so often.
> >
> > > But I do love books. Boom-Boom told me long ago that loving
> > > books wasenough. :
> >
> > So what is your act? You curl up with a few pages between the
> > covers? And then...?
>
> It's a litter box gambit. Probably of the mentholated/deodorized
> variety.

If it clumps, she will use it.

Uche Ogbuji

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Anatoly Vorobey:

>Please go away. If you don't, strange and terrible things will happen
>to you. Sophia Barkat will write a verse about you and rhyme your

>family name (ideas, anyone?)....

Hey! Why didna _I_ get my family-name rhymed? I've been in line for
this procedure for years. Sucks when nouveaux RABbes cut in line.

--
Uche Ogbuji
uche....@fourthought.com

Gary Lee Stonum

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98

Uche Ogbuji wrote in message ...

>Anatoly Vorobey:
>
>>Please go away. If you don't, strange and terrible things
will happen
>>to you. Sophia Barkat will write a verse about you and
rhyme your
>>family name (ideas, anyone?)....
>
>Hey! Why didna _I_ get my family-name rhymed? I've been
in line for
>this procedure for years. Sucks when nouveaux RABbes cut
in line.

Yeah, but the true prize would be getting yourself cast in
the Grandpa Francis movie, now apparently into preproduction
on that other thread.

Sorry, I don't have an actor for your part, but (age and
ethnicity notwithstanding), I'd vote Joe Pesci for Mike
Godwin. The real question is who does Steve Buscemi play,
unless we give him everyone who
crossposts in alt.postmodern.

Gary
(who can only be played by Martin Mull, then left on the
cutting room floor)

--
=== Gary Lee Stonum ===
http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/engl/faculty/stonum.html

Francis Muir

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Gary Lee Stonum:

> Yeah, but the true prize would be getting yourself cast in
> the Grandpa Francis movie, now apparently into preproduction
> on that other thread.
>
> Sorry, I don't have an actor for your part, but (age and
> ethnicity notwithstanding), I'd vote Joe Pesci for Mike
> Godwin. The real question is who does Steve Buscemi play,
> unless we give him everyone who
> crossposts in alt.postmodern.
>
> Gary (who can only be played by Martin Mull, then left on the
> cutting room floor)

Direction by Heather "Heathen" Henderson, but only if she
wears those jodhpurs (notice spelling please), but who will
be Best Boy? Chief Grip?

Francis

m...@ptyx.com

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
"Gary Lee Stonum" <gx...@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
>Uche Ogbuji wrote in message ...
>>Anatoly Vorobey:

>>>Please go away. If you don't, strange and terrible things will happen
>>>to you. Sophia Barkat will write a verse about you and rhyme your
>>>family name (ideas, anyone?)....

>>Hey! Why didna _I_ get my family-name rhymed? I've been in line for
>>this procedure for years. Sucks when nouveaux RABbes cut in line.

>Yeah, but the true prize would be getting yourself cast in

>the Grandpa Francis movie, now apparently into preproduction
>on that other thread.
>
>Sorry, I don't have an actor for your part, but (age and
>ethnicity notwithstanding), I'd vote Joe Pesci for Mike
>Godwin. The real question is who does Steve Buscemi play,
>unless we give him everyone who
>crossposts in alt.postmodern.
>
>Gary
>(who can only be played by Martin Mull, then left on the
>cutting room floor)

Francis Muir -- Ian McKellen
John McCarthy -- Rod Steiger
Joan Shields -- Mia Farrow
Richard Harter -- Gene Hackman
Meg Worley -- Lili Taylor
Mike Morris -- Oliver Platt
Matthew Wiener -- Joe Pesci
Silke-Maria Weineck -- Marilyn Chambers
Michael Sean Rooney -- Thomas Jay Ryan
Mike Godwin -- Philip Seymour Hoffman
Philip Nikolayev -- Sergei Bodrov, Jr.
Ron Hardin -- John Cleese
T.H. Chance -- Jack Nicholson
Mario Taboada -- Daniel Auteuil
Ted Samsel -- Tom Waits
Lew Mammel, Jr. -- Bill Murray
Sayan Bhattacharyya -- Ben Stiller
Mikhail Zeleny -- Jean Reno
Tal Kubo -- Roberto Benigni
Fiona Webster -- Kathy Bates
Michael Kagalenko -- Denis Leary
Paul Johnson -- Peter Weller
David Swanson -- Pee-Wee Herman
Noel Smith -- Chris Elliot
Uche Ogbuji -- Geoffrey Rush
Jorn Barger -- Cheech Martin
William Grosso -- Jon Lovitz
Sophia Barkat -- Parker Posey
Eric Scerri -- Brad Dourif

Cordially -- Mikhail Zel...@math.ucla.edu * M...@ptyx.com ** www.ptyx.com
God: "Sum id quod sum." ** 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046
Descartes: "Cogito ergo sum." * 323.876.8234 (fon) * 323.876.8054 (fax)
Popeye: "Sum id quod sum et id totum est quod sum." **** www.alonzo.org
since 2.26.1958 ** itinerant assault philosopher ** will think for food

Alan R. Light

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

How come I always get left out of these lists? Do I not make
a big enough impression on this newsgroup? Should I start being
more aggressive and less reasonable? And what about that second column --
I don't think I've seen *one* of those names around here.

Apparently I've been outclassed by a bunch of lurkers. Thanks a lot.

Susan Young

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Alan R. Light wrote:

<snip of interesting but necessarily incomplete list>

> How come I always get left out of these lists? Do I not make
> a big enough impression on this newsgroup? Should I start being
> more aggressive and less reasonable? And what about that second column --
> I don't think I've seen *one* of those names around here.
>
> Apparently I've been outclassed by a bunch of lurkers. Thanks a lot.

Join the club, son. Loftus and Latane aren't on there either, for starters.
Poor Loftus, he'll be disappointed.

Other frequent & infrequent posters not mentioned: Maureen Scobie, Bob Teeter
and his loverly wife, (not to mention Ari) Evelyn Leeper, Jeff Inman, Susan
Otto, paschal, Sanjiva, Raghu Seshadri, Dorai Sitaram, Dene Bebbington, Chris
Krolczyk, even moggin, for God's sake! (or not, whichever he prefers), Bruce
MacGuffin, CHQ Sorsby, Charlotte Blackmer, Gerry Quinn, Michael Carley, Ken
MacIver, Paul Ilechko, Jeff del Col, Don Tuite, Marcy Thompson.....me.....<g>

You can't get much less inclusive than leaving out the faq maintainer and the webmaster.

Susan

ObBook: The Alex. Quartet, Justine (Durrell liked to list names too)

Susan Young

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
<snip of Alan's plaint & my reply>

Bob Gore and Boom-boom aren't on it either.

S.

Paul Ilechko

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On 23 Oct 1998 07:34:26 -0400, ali...@katie.vnet.net (Alan R. Light)
wrote:

>How come I always get left out of these lists? Do I not make
>a big enough impression on this newsgroup? Should I start being
>more aggressive and less reasonable? And what about that second column --
>I don't think I've seen *one* of those names around here.

>Apparently I've been outclassed by a bunch of lurkers. Thanks a lot.

Hey, me too. Tell you what - you can be Robert Redford if I can be
Paul Newman ;-)

***************

Paul Ilechko
http://www.transarc.com/~pilechko/homepage.htm

tejas

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Paul Ilechko wrote:

> On 23 Oct 1998 07:34:26 -0400, ali...@katie.vnet.net (Alan R. Light)
> wrote:
>

> >How come I always get left out of these lists? Do I not make
> >a big enough impression on this newsgroup? Should I start being
> >more aggressive and less reasonable? And what about that second column --
> >I don't think I've seen *one* of those names around here.
>
> >Apparently I've been outclassed by a bunch of lurkers. Thanks a lot.
>
> Hey, me too. Tell you what - you can be Robert Redford if I can be
> Paul Newman ;-)

I'm much older than Tom Waites. It's either Rip Torn, Wilford Brimley,
Walter Huston or Brian Dennehey. My brother is either Harry Dean Stanton
or Marty Feldman.

ObBiog: MY WICKED, WICKED WAYS by Errol Flynn

Paul Ilechko

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 09:25:09 -0400, tejas <tbsa...@richmond.infi.net>
wrote:

>I'm much older than Tom Waites.

That maybe so, but I can imagine you playing dirty water on a
Swordfishtrombone ..

Paul.

Meg Worley

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Teodito cavills:

>I'm much older than Tom Waites. It's either Rip Torn, Wilford Brimley,
>Walter Huston or Brian Dennehey. My brother is either Harry Dean Stanton
>or Marty Feldman.

Not by much, you aren't, amigo. Dec. 7, 1949 is his bd --
you were still a diaper-loader then, I'm a-guessin'.

ObBook: Merimee's *Carmen*, which was made into a film
with Tom Waits, I shit you not.

Rage away,

Joan Marie Shields

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

<m...@ptyx.com> wrote:
>Francis Muir -- Ian McKellen
>John McCarthy -- Rod Steiger
>Joan Shields -- Mia Farrow

I think that Mia Farrow would be better as Paschal - Joan Cusack would
be a better choice for me

Alan Light - Steven Buscami
Marcy Williams - Jeanene Garafelo
Bob Teeter - Lance Hendrickson
Joe Green - Marlon Brando in a dream sequence
Loftus - Kevin Spacey
Latane - Kevin Spacey
- he could play both with his eyes closed, which, come to think of it,
might be a good way to go about it with these two :):):):):)
Chris Krolczyk - John Cusack

I'm sure there are more but my mind is stuck right now,

yours in wet fishes and Sam Jackson can play a Spanish anarchist - can
there please be a Spanish anarchist? Please?

joan
--
Joan Shields jshi...@uci.edu http://www.ags.uci.edu/~jshields
University of California - Irvine School of Social Ecology

Don Tuite

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

Nor the absent Joe Green or John Wodylo.

But Cheech *Martin*?

Don

tejas

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Joan Marie Shields wrote:

> Alan Light - Steven Buscami
> Marcy Williams - Jeanene Garafelo
> Bob Teeter - Lance Hendrickson
> Joe Green - Marlon Brando in a dream sequence
> Loftus - Kevin Spacey
> Latane - Kevin Spacey
> - he could play both with his eyes closed, which, come to think of it,
> might be a good way to go about it with these two :):):):):)

Nah, Dennis Hopper should play both of them.

> Chris Krolczyk - John Cusack
>
> I'm sure there are more but my mind is stuck right now,
>
> yours in wet fishes and Sam Jackson can play a Spanish anarchist - can
> there please be a Spanish anarchist? Please?

Only if Roberto Begnino plays his sidekick.

Robert Teeter

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Joan Marie Shields (jshi...@rigel.oac.uci.edu) wrote:

: Bob Teeter - Lance Hendrickson

I was just asked about him. Now I know why.

: Loftus - Kevin Spacey

: Latane - Kevin Spacey
: - he could play both with his eyes closed, which, come to think of it,
: might be a good way to go about it with these two :):):):):)

Somebody was confusing these two Davids. That person should
read the thread on the morality of war.

--
Bob Teeter (rte...@netcom.com) | http://www.wco.com/~rteeter/
"Like all those possessing a library, Aurelian was aware that he

Susan Young

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

Indeed.

More roles-yet-to-be-cast:

Larisa Migachov
Irina Bondarenko
Paul Lanier
SubGenius
Robot Veg
Joann Zimmerman
Phyllis Chamberlain
Michael Wade

Casting choices:

Susan Otto--Diane Keaton
Myself--Meryl Streep (no matter what Andy says, I'm not Anne Bancroft)
Claudia Sorsby--Daria
SubGenius--Harvey Keitel
Paul Ilechko--Ralph Fiennes
Alan Light--Matthew Broderick
Jeff Inman--Chuck Norris
Michael Wade--Graham Chapman
Dene Bebbington--a better-behaved Hugh Grant

Susan

m...@ptyx.com

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
to ku...@math.brown.edu
jshi...@rigel.oac.uci.edu (Joan Marie Shields ) wrote:
><m...@ptyx.com> wrote:

>>Francis Muir -- Ian McKellen
>>John McCarthy -- Rod Steiger
>>Joan Shields -- Mia Farrow

>I think that Mia Farrow would be better as Paschal - Joan Cusack would
>be a better choice for me

In your own movie, by all means. In this one, Paschal will be played
by Annie Sprinkle.

>Alan Light - Steven Buscami

>Marcy Williams - Jeanene Garafelo

>Bob Teeter - Lance Hendrickson

>Joe Green - Marlon Brando in a dream sequence

No.

Alan J. Light -- Vincent Gallo
Marcy Thompson -- Michelle Pfeiffer
Bob Teeter -- John Malkovich
Joe Green -- Tommy Lee Jones
Jonh Wojdylo -- Samuel L. Jackson
Gene Ward Smith -- Steven Buscemi
Michael Siemon -- Lily Tomlin
Tushar Samant -- Al Pacino
Michael Abalovich -- Jeff Goldblum
Robert Vienneau -- Griffin Dunne
Anatoly Vorobey -- David Arquette
Torkel Franzen -- Erland Josephson

Marlon Brando will play the moderator, in a dream sequence.

>Loftus - Kevin Spacey
>Latane - Kevin Spacey
> - he could play both with his eyes closed, which, come to think of it,
> might be a good way to go about it with these two :):):):):)

No way.

David Loftus -- Lyle Lovett
David Latane -- Nathan Lane

>Chris Krolczyk - John Cusack

Paul Ilechko -- Robert Downey, Jr.
Irina Bondarenko -- Julianne Moore

Susan Young -- Louise Lasser
Maureen Scobie -- Glenn Close
Jeffrey Del Col -- William H. Macy
Evelyn Leeper -- Oprah Winfrey
Jeff Inman -- Chris Tucker
Susan Otto -- Madeleine Stowe
Sanjiva Prasad -- Chris Penn
Raghu Seshadri -- Sean Penn
Dene Bebbington -- Michael Palin
Moggin -- Gary Coleman
Bruce MacGuffin -- Jeff Bridges
Claudia HQ Sorsby -- Jennifer Jason Leigh
Gerry Quinn -- Aidan Quinn
Michael Carley -- Kevin Spacey
Ken MacIver -- Walter Matthau
Don Tuite -- Donald Sutherland

>I'm sure there are more but my mind is stuck right now,
>
>yours in wet fishes and Sam Jackson can play a Spanish anarchist - can
>there please be a Spanish anarchist? Please?

See above.

Dorai Sitaram

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
In article <3630D2B0...@ionet.net>,

Susan Young <you...@ionet.net> wrote:
>Don Tuite wrote:
>>
>> Susan Young wrote:
>> >
>> > Bob Gore and Boom-boom aren't on it either.
>>
>> Nor the absent Joe Green or John Wodylo.

John Wojdylo -- John Malkovich

--d

David J. Loftus

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

: Joan Marie Shields wrote:

: > Alan Light - Steven Buscami

: > Marcy Williams - Jeanene Garafelo
: > Bob Teeter - Lance Hendrickson
: > Joe Green - Marlon Brando in a dream sequence

: > Loftus - Kevin Spacey

: > Latane - Kevin Spacey
: > - he could play both with his eyes closed, which, come to think of it,
: > might be a good way to go about it with these two :):):):):)

: Nah, Dennis Hopper should play both of them.

I like Dennis Hopper. But the roles he plays are nothing like what I
am. If I come across that way in this newsgroup, well ... that's
interesting.

Spacey could probably play me because Spacey can play just about
anything, but there's no physical resemblance.

David Loftus

P.S. You can sure tell this is a literary newsgroup by how many actors'
names are misspelled.

Paul Ilechko

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:02:08 -0600, Susan Young <you...@ionet.net>
wrote:

>More roles-yet-to-be-cast:

>Irina Bondarenko
How about Christina Ricci ?

>Casting choices:

>Paul Ilechko--Ralph Fiennes

It's obvious we've never met ;-)

I was once accused of resembling Edward Fox, though he might dispute
it.

Dorai Sitaram

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
In article <70qmrj$155$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, <m...@ptyx.com> wrote:
>Sanjiva Prasad -- Chris Penn
>Raghu Seshadri -- Sean Penn

Really? Rather:

Sanjiva Prasad -- Jeremy Irons
Raghu Seshadri -- Leonard Nimoy

And while we're at it:

Mina Kumar -- Shelley Long
Rajappa Iyer -- Ted Danson

Paul Ilechko

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:53:23 GMT, m...@ptyx.com wrote:

>In your own movie, by all means. In this one, Paschal will be played
>by Annie Sprinkle.

I had thought of Oprah Winfrey in whiteface for Paschal

Jim Hartley

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Alan R. Light (ali...@katie.vnet.net) wrote:
> >Francis Muir -- Ian McKellen
> >John McCarthy -- Rod Steiger
> >Joan Shields -- Mia Farrow
[...]

> >Sophia Barkat -- Parker Posey
> >Eric Scerri -- Brad Dourif
[...]

and so on [That's English for u.s.w.]

So, what does it mean when one hasn't even heard of most of the actors
listed in this and all the subsequent posts?

My personal favorite explanation is that y'all watch too much TV. Go read
a book or something.

The Mandatory Book Reference: Simon, _The Sciences of the Artificial_

--
Jim Hartley
jhar...@mtholyoke.edu

David J. Loftus

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Paul Ilechko (pile...@NOSPAM.transarc.com) wrote:

: On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:53:23 GMT, m...@ptyx.com wrote:

: >In your own movie, by all means. In this one, Paschal will be played
: >by Annie Sprinkle.

: I had thought of Oprah Winfrey in whiteface for Paschal

Both are reasonable, although I like the idea of Annie Sprinkle as more
kinky.

The problem is, we know Sprinkle enjoys sex, not to mention sex
performance, but we only know that P. TALKS about liking it, and I'd be
willing to bet she's not into sex performance.

Sprinkle is ultimately too natural to play Paschal.

David Loftus

Paul Ilechko

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
>>Matthew Wiener -- Joe Pesci
OK. Or maybe Robert Englund ?

>>Silke-Maria Weineck -- Marilyn Chambers

Winona Ryder ?

>>Philip Nikolayev -- Sergei Bodrov, Jr.

Jerzy Radziwilowicz ?

>>Ron Hardin -- John Cleese

Bernard Hill ?

>>T.H. Chance -- Jack Nicholson

Donald Pleasence ?

>>Sayan Bhattacharyya -- Ben Stiller

Saeed Jaffrey ?

>>Mikhail Zeleny -- Jean Reno

Gordon Jackson ?

>>Fiona Webster -- Kathy Bates

Hope Davis ?

Gore Bob

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Susan Young wrote:

> <snip of Alan's plaint & my reply>
>

> Bob Gore and Boom-boom aren't on it either.

Um. This is not a problem, so far as I'm concerned. And how would
you cast the incomparable Boom-boom O'Toole? *Could* it be done? (I
suppose Judy Davis could at least be expected to get the accent right, and
maybe Wendy Hughes might do, in a pinch).
If it helps, Ted divulged that he pictured me as Henry Fonda (he
didn't specify, but I assumed he meant the Henry Fonda of Grapes of Wrath.
He may, of course, have been referring to the Henry Fonda of On Golden
Pond). He also visualized Jeff as the pre-pubescent Ronnie Howard.
Needless to say, we both managed to disappoint him.

Bob Gore

Gore Bob

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, tejas wrote:

> Paul Ilechko wrote:
> >
> > On 23 Oct 1998 07:34:26 -0400, ali...@katie.vnet.net (Alan R. Light)
> > wrote:
> >

> > >How come I always get left out of these lists? Do I not make
> > >a big enough impression on this newsgroup? Should I start being
> > >more aggressive and less reasonable? And what about that second column --
> > >I don't think I've seen *one* of those names around here.
> >
> > >Apparently I've been outclassed by a bunch of lurkers. Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Hey, me too. Tell you what - you can be Robert Redford if I can be
> > Paul Newman ;-)
>

> I'm much older than Tom Waites. It's either Rip Torn, Wilford Brimley,
> Walter Huston or Brian Dennehey. My brother is either Harry Dean Stanton
> or Marty Feldman.
>

> ObBiog: MY WICKED, WICKED WAYS by Errol Flynn

Gerard Depardieu could do it, but I had in mind someone crustier-
like Walter Brennan, let's say, except I'm afraid he's dead.

Bob Gore

Obreallyreallyreallybadtvshowfrommyyouth:The Real McCoys

Larisa Migachyov

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
8.3A3...@kvo.com> <3630D2B0...@ionet.net>:
Susan Young wrote:
:
:More roles-yet-to-be-cast:
:
:Larisa Migachov

Hmm. I'd have to give some serious thought to this one. I don't think I
look like any of the actresses I've seen. But does this have to be a
movie? Can't we do an opera instead? I think that rab is very operatic
in nature. :)

--
Larisa Migachyov * Quant'e bella giovinezza
Biomechanical Engineering * Che si fugge tuttavia!

maureen scobie

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
m...@ptyx.com wrote:

> Maureen Scobie -- Glenn Close

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
And foolish notion.

Marianne Faithful, save me from Glenn!

I want the deep, ruined voice.

Record: _Broken English_

M.

Michael Kagalenko

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Paul Ilechko (pile...@NOSPAM.transarc.com) wrote in article <3630e7fc...@newshost.transarc.com>
]>>Silke-Maria Weineck -- Marilyn Chambers
]Winona Ryder ?

Because both are overweight and overrated ?

tejas

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Paul Ilechko wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:53:23 GMT, m...@ptyx.com wrote:
>
> >In your own movie, by all means. In this one, Paschal will be played
> >by Annie Sprinkle.
>
> I had thought of Oprah Winfrey in whiteface for Paschal

I nearly spewed beer over the keyboard.

Three marks.

Michael Kagalenko

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Larisa Migachyov (l...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote in article <70qu02$9nc$4...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>
]8.3A3...@kvo.com> <3630D2B0...@ionet.net>:

]Susan Young wrote:
]:
]:More roles-yet-to-be-cast:
]:
]:Larisa Migachov
]
]Hmm. I'd have to give some serious thought to this one. I don't think I
]look like any of the actresses I've seen.

RuPaul.

]But does this have to be a

paschal

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

On 23 Oct 1998, Joan Marie Shields wrote:

> I think that Mia Farrow would be better as Paschal - Joan Cusack would
> be a better choice for me

Nah; I'm a green-eyed brunette, who has never had much interest in having
kids.

My buddy says Sandra Bullock, but only because some people have thought
I look a little like her, and he thinks so too.

Personally, I want to be played by Cissy Spacek, or a young Judy Garland.

-P., who, on first encountering r.a.b., wrote up a list much like this. I
thought Francis was a young Peter Graves, back then; and Silke an old
Shirley Winters. I thought Ted Samsel was a red-headed guy with a lot of
freckles, and Richard Harter sorta like Sean Connery. The only person
here I initially envisioned anything like himself, was Prof. McCarthy....

> >Richard Harter -- Gene Hackman
> >Meg Worley -- Lili Taylor
> >Mike Morris -- Oliver Platt

> >Matthew Wiener -- Joe Pesci

> >Silke-Maria Weineck -- Marilyn Chambers

> >Michael Sean Rooney -- Thomas Jay Ryan
> >Mike Godwin -- Philip Seymour Hoffman

> >Philip Nikolayev -- Sergei Bodrov, Jr.

> >Ron Hardin -- John Cleese

> >T.H. Chance -- Jack Nicholson

> >Mario Taboada -- Daniel Auteuil
> >Ted Samsel -- Tom Waits
> >Lew Mammel, Jr. -- Bill Murray

> >Sayan Bhattacharyya -- Ben Stiller

> >Mikhail Zeleny -- Jean Reno

> >Tal Kubo -- Roberto Benigni

> >Fiona Webster -- Kathy Bates

> >Michael Kagalenko -- Denis Leary
> >Paul Johnson -- Peter Weller
> >David Swanson -- Pee-Wee Herman
> >Noel Smith -- Chris Elliot
> >Uche Ogbuji -- Geoffrey Rush
> >Jorn Barger -- Cheech Martin
> >William Grosso -- Jon Lovitz

> >Sophia Barkat -- Parker Posey
> >Eric Scerri -- Brad Dourif
>

> Alan Light - Steven Buscami
> Marcy Williams - Jeanene Garafelo
> Bob Teeter - Lance Hendrickson
> Joe Green - Marlon Brando in a dream sequence
> Loftus - Kevin Spacey
> Latane - Kevin Spacey
> - he could play both with his eyes closed, which, come to think of it,
> might be a good way to go about it with these two :):):):):)

> Chris Krolczyk - John Cusack
>

> I'm sure there are more but my mind is stuck right now,
>

> yours in wet fishes and Sam Jackson can play a Spanish anarchist - can
> there please be a Spanish anarchist? Please?

tejas

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Gore Bob wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Susan Young wrote:
>
> > <snip of Alan's plaint & my reply>
> >
> > Bob Gore and Boom-boom aren't on it either.
>
> Um. This is not a problem, so far as I'm concerned. And how would
> you cast the incomparable Boom-boom O'Toole? *Could* it be done? (I
> suppose Judy Davis could at least be expected to get the accent right, and
> maybe Wendy Hughes might do, in a pinch).
> If it helps, Ted divulged that he pictured me as Henry Fonda (he
> didn't specify, but I assumed he meant the Henry Fonda of Grapes of Wrath.

It was the YOUNG ABE LINCOLN (or ABE LINCOLN IN ILLINOIS).

> He may, of course, have been referring to the Henry Fonda of On Golden
> Pond). He also visualized Jeff as the pre-pubescent Ronnie Howard.
> Needless to say, we both managed to disappoint him.

Indeed. Jeff could be played by Woody Harrelson in wirerimmed glasses.

ObFineFlickJustSeen: The re-edited TOUCH OF EVIL. by Orson Welles.

paschal

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Sanjiva Prasad wrote:

> Paschal, you're a *cat*.

Meeeeeeeoooowwwwwww.

In addition to the Travis McGee stories, for which he's most well-known,
John D. MacDonald wrote a great little book about cats, _The House
Guests_.

-P.

Mina Kumar

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Dorai Sitaram wrote:

> Mina Kumar -- Shelley Long

Enna kuppai sollindirukkeil. Na vanthu Shelley Long-mathri illavai
illai. Rekha circa her marraige to Vinod Mehra is more like it. Though
I'd prefer Raakhee c. her first marraige.

--
Mina Kumar
http://www.concentric.net/~Minak

Michael S. Morris

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Friday, the 23rd of October, 1998

Who in the hell is Oliver Platt? I always figured
on Sean Connery, but Harrison Ford will do.

Mike Morris
(msmo...@netdirect.net)

Susan Young

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Larisa Migachyov wrote:

> Hmm. I'd have to give some serious thought to this one. I don't think I

> look like any of the actresses I've seen. But does this have to be a

> movie? Can't we do an opera instead?

There are no rules.

> I think that rab is very operatic
> in nature. :)

I attended a performance of Lucia di Lammermuir last Saturday. I think rab
could do a creditable job of interpreting it: feuds, factions, paranormal
phenomena, a madwoman, surly relatives, political upheaval, religious
quarrels, psychosexual torment--you're right, rab has it all :-)

Susan

(sorry I left the y out of Migachyov)

j...@ncgr.org

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
you...@ionet.net wrote:

> Casting choices:

> Jeff Inman--Chuck Norris

Thanks for the thought (I think), but I'm guessing David Carradine
as Quai Chang Kane would be a closer match. He'd have to buzz
his head, grow a goatee, and wear glasses, though.

Jeff

Michael Sean Rooney

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98

m...@ptyx.com wrote in article <70pea1$s6r$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> Michael Sean Rooney -- Thomas Jay Ryan

A propos for my electronic persona, I suppose --
though I'd nix any dialogue written by Hal Hartley.

However, in reality, I am Takeshi Kitano.

> Mike Godwin -- Philip Seymour Hoffman

> Eric Scerri -- Brad Dourif

> Moggin -- Gary Coleman

These are highly amusing.

Cordially,

M.

Larisa Migachyov

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
Michael Kagalenko wrote:
:Larisa Migachyov (l...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote in article <70qu02$9nc$4...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>
:]8.3A3...@kvo.com> <3630D2B0...@ionet.net>:
:]Susan Young wrote:
:]:
:]:More roles-yet-to-be-cast:
:]:
:]:Larisa Migachov
:]
:]Hmm. I'd have to give some serious thought to this one. I don't think I

:]look like any of the actresses I've seen.
:
:RuPaul.
:
<laughing uncontrollably>

m...@ptyx.com

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98

See http://us.imdb.com/Name?Platt,+Oliver.

> I always figured
> on Sean Connery, but Harrison Ford will do.

Keep talking, and I'll change your casting to Danny de Vito.

Cordially -- Mikhail Zel...@math.ucla.edu * M...@ptyx.com ** www.ptyx.com
God: "Sum id quod sum." ** 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046
Descartes: "Cogito ergo sum." * 323.876.8234 (fon) * 323.876.8054 (fax)
Popeye: "Sum id quod sum et id totum est quod sum." **** www.alonzo.org
since 2.26.1958 ** itinerant assault philosopher ** will think for food

Alan R. Light

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
David J. Loftus <dl...@netcom.com> wrote:
>tejas (tbsa...@richmond.infi.net) wrote:
>
>: Joan Marie Shields wrote:
>
>: > Alan Light - Steven Buscami

>: > Marcy Williams - Jeanene Garafelo
>: > Bob Teeter - Lance Hendrickson
>: > Joe Green - Marlon Brando in a dream sequence
>: > Loftus - Kevin Spacey
>: > Latane - Kevin Spacey
>: > - he could play both with his eyes closed, which, come to think of it,
>: > might be a good way to go about it with these two :):):):):)
>
>: Nah, Dennis Hopper should play both of them.
>
>I like Dennis Hopper. But the roles he plays are nothing like what I
>am. If I come across that way in this newsgroup, well ... that's
>interesting.
>
>P.S. You can sure tell this is a literary newsgroup by how many actors'
>names are misspelled.

Ah! the second column is the names of actors! that explains it! ;-)

Now I just have to find out who Steven Buscami is.

I was told once that I resembled a football player named Joe Montana,
I think it was, and elsewhen that I resembled the tennis player
that married Brooke Shields (can't recall his name), but I don't believe it.

I actually most closely resemble Gary Coleman, except for being white,
skinny, bearded, and tall, with straighter hair and a big nose.

Alan
--
alight@ / http://users.vnet.net/alight \
vnet. / Free etexts @ http://www.ipl.org \
net / and http://www.cs.cmu.edu/books.html \

m...@ptyx.com

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
to z...@ptyx.com
Michael Sean Rooney wrote:
>m...@ptyx.com wrote:

>>Michael Sean Rooney -- Thomas Jay Ryan

>A propos for my electronic persona, I suppose --
>though I'd nix any dialogue written by Hal Hartley.
>
>However, in reality, I am Takeshi Kitano.

Without wishing to question your mastery of chopsticks, this is a bad
fit for your youthful mien. To wit, if I cast Takeshi Kitano in your
part, I would have to exercise my first self-casting choice of Tatsuya
Nakadai, over a quarter century of our age difference notwithstanding.
Clearly, that would be "problematic". So how about the chronologically
appropriate Masakazu Tamura as per Lone Wolf and Cub: The Final Conflict,
a.k.a. A Handful of Sand?

>>Mike Godwin -- Philip Seymour Hoffman
>>Eric Scerri -- Brad Dourif
>>Moggin -- Gary Coleman

>These are highly amusing.

Jim Hartley -- Dylan Baker
Gore Bob -- Steve Martin
Mina Kumar -- Fairuza Balk
Jim Collier -- Marilyn Vos Savant
Boom-Boom O'Toole -- Lara Flynn Boyle
Larisa Migachyov -- Charlotte Gainsbourg
Michael Wade -- Richard E. Grant
Jeffrey Davis -- Fred Ward
Marek Lugowski -- Boy George
G*rd*n Fitch -- Jim Broadbent
Richard A. Schulman -- John Vernon
Dylan Bryan-Dolman -- Jude Law
Victor Yodaiken -- Chow Yun Fat

And who could forget the walk-on by Gong Li as the ephemeral Erin Zhu?

tejas

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
Alan R. Light wrote:

> Now I just have to find out who Steven Buscami is.

The skinny hit-goon in FARGO

> I was told once that I resembled a football player named Joe Montana,
> I think it was, and elsewhen that I resembled the tennis player
> that married Brooke Shields (can't recall his name), but I don't believe it.
>
> I actually most closely resemble Gary Coleman, except for being white,
> skinny, bearded, and tall, with straighter hair and a big nose.

Back before goatees were popular and I had one, I was mistaken for
folksinger John Prine. The guy who wrote YOUR FLAG DECAL WON"T GET
YOU INTO HEAVEN ANY MORE. Neither of us were drunk at the time. And
once, before he got big, I got backstage by claiming to be Willie
Nelson, probably due to the fact that the Francophone geologist I
was with was in hotpants and halter top. She doesn't wear that much
anymore since she became a Sc**nt*l*g*ts.

ObBook: TEXAS RISING by D.S. Phantom

Francis Muir

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
mz:

> And who could forget the walk-on by Gong Li as the ephemeral
> Erin Zhu?

And who but Mikhail could forget the proper meanings of ephemeral?
Also, who gets to play the dog?

Susan Young

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
m...@ptyx.com wrote:

> Susan Young -- Louise Lasser

No, if I have to be someone from Mary Hartman Mary Hartman I want to be Mary
Kay Place--I look more like her, I certainly act more like her, and she's a
Tulsa homegirl.

S.

Dorai Sitaram

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
In article <3630F6...@concentric.net>,

Mina Kumar <mi...@concentric.net> wrote:
>Dorai Sitaram wrote:
>
>> Mina Kumar -- Shelley Long
>
>Enna kuppai sollindirukkeil. Na vanthu Shelley Long-mathri illavai
>illai. Rekha circa her marraige to Vinod Mehra is more like it. Though
>I'd prefer Raakhee c. her first marraige.

Oh this isn't about looks -- I am sure you're far more
fetching than Long. I just couldn't turn down an
obvious 2-fer for you and the Ted Danson character
going aargh over your erudition. Here's hoping that
your plonking of each other ceases some day.

--d

paschal

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, tejas wrote:

> Paul Ilechko wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 19:53:23 GMT, m...@ptyx.com wrote:
> >
> > >In your own movie, by all means. In this one, Paschal will be played
> > >by Annie Sprinkle.
> >
> > I had thought of Oprah Winfrey in whiteface for Paschal
>
> I nearly spewed beer over the keyboard.
>
> Three marks.

Well, I've only seen Oprah a few times, and don't know much about her or
understand why this is "funny". But she's always seemed to be a smart,
strong lady who is working hard at things that matter to her; so I'll
take it as a compliment.

But if I'm going to be played by a black woman, I want Whoopi. She's my
favorite commedienne, and I admire the fact that she lives her life
*exactly* her own way, no matter what anyone says or thinks about her.

-P.

Joan Marie Shields

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98

Joan Shields wrote:
>> Alan Light - Steven Buscami
>> Marcy Williams - Jeanene Garafelo
>> Bob Teeter - Lance Hendrickson
>> Joe Green - Marlon Brando in a dream sequence
>> Loftus - Kevin Spacey
>> Latane - Kevin Spacey
>> - he could play both with his eyes closed, which, come to think of it,
>> might be a good way to go about it with these two :):):):):)

>Nah, Dennis Hopper should play both of them.

Now, that would be scarey - or is that the point? :)

>> yours in wet fishes and Sam Jackson can play a Spanish anarchist - can
>> there please be a Spanish anarchist? Please?

>Only if Roberto Begnino plays his sidekick.

No, that wouldn't be right. His sidekick has to be Bulgarian - that's
very very improtant. It wouldn't work otherwise.

ObBook: Four Hands - Paco Ignacio Taibo II

yours in wet fishes and I adore the Davids in much the same way I have
a fondness for Spanish anarchists,

Joan Marie Shields

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98