Breakfast At Tiffany's; Was Fred Gay?

Hank Gillette

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

This is a pretty silly question, I know. There was an episode on Seinfeld
(American TV program) where George was in a reading group which was
discussing "Breakfast At Tiffany's". 100 pages apparently being too much
for George, he watched the movie instead. When he tried to join the
discussion by talking about "Fred" as played by George Peppard, someone
said "Fred is gay".

Well, I recently read the book and I don't really see it. Is this the
common opinion about Fred? The only evidence I can see for Fred being gay
is that perhaps he's actually Truman Copote and Copote was gay. On the
other hand, Fred said that perhaps he was half in love with Holly himself.

I'd appreciate getting some opinions on this.

--
Hank Gillette

Jim Collier

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

Been years since I read it, and I don't really remember but I think he
was. I remember he narrates in the first person which suggests
he is Capote. Further, I kind of recall at least from the movie
that they lived on the Upper East Side, which is where Capote lived
before he started a parade over to low-rent (then!) Brooklyn Heights
in the 1950s.

Holly Golightly's personality was ditzy, not naive as in the movie.
She wanted a Lesbian roomate "because a dyke is a good housekeeper" or
something like that, which was completely unacceptable for 1961 movies
(I remember the year because "Moon River" was such a hit), but quite
hilarious. Even if you knew nothing about Truman Capote, his female
characters were such unlikely creatures that it was obvious he had
never had pillow talk with a member of the gender.

But whatever, he was one of the great raconteurs of American lit.
His charm readily translates into other languages. Can't pull that
off with somebody who is tight and withdrawn.

Jim

Janet M. Lafler

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

I admit that I've only seen the movie, not read the book, but...
aren't we talking about Paul, not Fred? Holly just calls him Fred
because he reminds her of her brother.

/Janet

P.S. No opinions on whether he's gay, though of course there's the
old stereotype of the gay gigolo to consider.

--
ja...@netcom.com
"Consider the lilies; they sneer not, neither do they make little

Hank Gillette

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

In article <janetEu...@netcom.com>, ja...@netcom.com (Janet M.
Lafler) wrote:

>I admit that I've only seen the movie, not read the book, but...
>aren't we talking about Paul, not Fred? Holly just calls him Fred
>because he reminds her of her brother.

I'm not sure he has a name in the book, other than Holly calling him Fred.

--
Hank Gillette

raymond...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2015, 11:41:40 PM11/30/15
I didn't think he was gay
saw same episode kinda through me of track,cause I read the book and there was no hint that hihe was gay.
just saw the same episode now (signfeld)
Thank you
Ray

matearod...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2017, 3:15:27 PM2/9/17
In the book he is never named. Only name he gets is when Holly calls him "Fred"

clairesau...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2017, 1:13:44 AM7/8/17
I don't think he was. Wasn't he a gigalo being kept by the Patricia O'Neal character (can't remember character name)I don't think Fred being gay was even a part of the story. Not that there's anything wrong with that(Seinfeld) Did I miss something?

petalsi...@hotmail.com

Sep 21, 2017, 9:43:46 AM9/21/17
In section 16 of the novella, Holly Golightly (played by Audrey Hepburn in the film) referred to "George" as a "Maude"—which was understood in the gay underworld at the time as slang for male prostitute. So yes, he was gay in the book.