What?! No English translation of Timm Thaler?

Elko Tchernev

Sep 26, 2004, 1:37:03 AM9/26/04
I'm struck speechless! One of the world's best children's books seems to
lack an English language edition! Outrageous, says I. Tell me it's not
true, please!
(FYI, IMHO, the outrage is about the same as some language having no
translation of Oliver Twist.)
(The book in question is "Timm Thaler oder Das verkaufte Lachen", by
James Krüss)

matti...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2016, 5:01:45 PM8/12/16
2016. I'm seeing this post twelve years later. It seems there still is no English translation for Timm Thaler. I read it in Russian- the book was widely popular in the Soviet Union. What a shame.

Elko T

Aug 13, 2016, 10:47:16 AM8/13/16
matti...@gmail.com wrote:
> 2016. I'm seeing this post twelve years later. It seems there still is no
> English translation for Timm Thaler. I read it in Russian- the book was
> widely popular in the Soviet Union. What a shame.

Still no translation? It figures. In some sense the English-language reading
public is incredibly parochial, and even more so in the children's books sector.
For example, Astrid Lindgren's books are nowhere near the top on their lists, if
there at all, unlike how popular they were in the Soviet Union and in Bulgaria.
(Hers are still the most popular children's books in Bulgaria even now.)

ekateri...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2017, 12:32:14 AM8/31/17
Totally agree. Was looking to get Timm Thaler in English. No success. How can that be??! Outrageous
Message has been deleted