Another Preview

Steve Morrison

Oct 3, 2023, 7:10:06 PM10/3/23
This one is for the new, expanded edition of /Letters/:

https://preview.aer.io/The_Letters_of_J_R_R_Tolkien-NjAyNTY2

Apparently the old numbering will be kept intact, and the additional
letters will be given designations such as "12a" or "42c" to ensure
the correct order.

Stan Brown

Oct 13, 2023, 1:22:57 PM10/13/23
Thanks for the info, Steve!

That's quite a generous sample. I skimmed hastily, but I didn't see
any major revelations. (The letter in response to A&U's £25 advance
was nice to read.) I bought the original edition, and then the 2000
edition with Scull & Hammond's index. I'm a little bit reluctant to
buy a _third_ copy.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/

Steve Morrison

Nov 3, 2023, 4:34:45 PM11/3/23
On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:22:55 -0700, Stan Brown wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 23:10:03 -0000 (UTC), Steve Morrison wrote:
>>
>> This one is for the new, expanded edition of /Letters/:
>>
>> https://preview.aer.io/The_Letters_of_J_R_R_Tolkien-NjAyNTY2
>>
>> Apparently the old numbering will be kept intact, and the additional
>> letters will be given designations such as "12a" or "42c" to ensure
>> the correct order.
>
> Thanks for the info, Steve!
>
> That's quite a generous sample. I skimmed hastily, but I didn't see
> any major revelations. (The letter in response to A&U's £25 advance
> was nice to read.) I bought the original edition, and then the 2000
> edition with Scull & Hammond's index. I'm a little bit reluctant to
> buy a _third_ copy.

For what it's worth, there is an online guide to Tolkiens's letters:

https://www.tolkienguide.com/guide/letters/

which summarizes the content of his letters (not just the ones
included in /Letters/, but all letters by JRRT which the site can
find).

Stan Brown

Nov 21, 2023, 2:48:39 PM11/21/23
On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 23:10:03 -0000 (UTC), Steve Morrison wrote:

For US readers, as of today Amazon's prices are:

Hardcover, $32.83 (reduced from about $36, according to
camelcamelcamel.com) with free Prime shipping arriving Friday the
24th.

Paperback: $30.95 including shipping from something called "MegaBook
Co.", not arriving till Wednesday the 29th at the earliest.

For less than $2 difference, getting the hardcover was a no-brainer
for me.