Numenorian Surnames

Scott55

Dec 7, 2020, 2:14:24 AM12/7/20
Is there a source of Numenorian surnames? It strikes me as incredible that the Prince of Dol Amroth doesn't seem to have a surname. Many of the nobles in the LotR series don't have them. Thanks for any help!

Thomas Koenig

Dec 7, 2020, 5:03:13 AM12/7/20
Scott55 <stars...@outlook.com> schrieb:
I think they mostly use patronymics. Aragorn, son of Arathorn, ...

Julian Bradfield

Dec 7, 2020, 9:10:02 AM12/7/20
On 2020-12-07, Scott55 <stars...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Is there a source of Numenorian surnames? It strikes me as incredible that the Prince of Dol Amroth doesn't seem to have a surname. Many of the nobles in the LotR series don't have them. Thanks for any help!

Why would they have surnames? Surnames are mostly a relatively recent
invention (excepting China and Rome and a few others), and none of the
societies on which the Numenoreans and Gondorians were based had
surnames. As for nobility, even today, royalty and nobility don't use
surnames, though they have them.
(The Heisei Emperor of Japan was a marine biologist - on the papers he
published while Emperor, he appears as just "Akihito".)