Text Files of LOTR

Eruadan

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Just thought you folks might be interested in being on the lookout for
someone from this email address <<ere...@netvision.net.il>> sending out
private emails asking for text files of FOTR.

I don't know if it was William, Bert, or Tom, or if he had a "legit"
reason for wanting them. I just told him is was copyrighted material,
and not released as text files.

Actually, come to think of it it _was_ Tom! That's how he signed his
message.

Eruadan
--
<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, because to them

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

tuli...@my-deja.com

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
In article <8es42o$39l$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Eruadan <eru...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Just thought you folks might be interested in being on the lookout for
> someone from this email address <<ere...@netvision.net.il>> sending
out
> private emails asking for text files of FOTR.
>
> I don't know if it was William, Bert, or Tom, or if he had a "legit"
> reason for wanting them. I just told him is was copyrighted material,
> and not released as text files.
>
> Actually, come to think of it it _was_ Tom! That's how he signed his
> message.
>
> Eruadan

I had one too - now consigned to oblivion, with the rest of the
nuisance messages. In fact, I had two - original request, then
correction to text files.

Tamsin

buh...@ecn.ab.ca

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
me too - two messages. didn't look at either of them. tossed into the
electronic timeless void.

tuli...@my-deja.com wrote:
: In article <8es42o$39l$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

: Tamsin

Andrew Buhr buh...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Savour the Irony! bu...@infinity.gmcc.ab.ca
http://freenet.edmonton.ab.ca/~buhrger

Conrad Dunkerson

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
"Raven" <jonlenn...@get2net.dk> wrote in message

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands,
> please.

Me.

Steuard Jensen

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Quoth "Raven" <jonlenn...@get2net.dk>:

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

Yup yup. And the sad part is, there are a few people here who
probably answered helpfully. I got them as well, and sent a quick
"that wouldn't be very nice" message back... ah well.

Steuard Jensen

Peter Johnson

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
In article <RCmQ4.608$jL4....@news.get2net.dk>,
jonlenn...@get2net.dk says...

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

<Raises hand>

Yes, although I haven't posted in a LONG time.. strange.

--
Peter Johnson lo...@mcs.net
:Windows: Where do you want to go today?

Flame of the West

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Peter Johnson wrote:

> > I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.
>
> <Raises hand>
>
> Yes, although I haven't posted in a LONG time.. strange.

Not me. I feel left out.

--

-- FotW

Reality is for those who cannot cope with Middle-Earth.

Raven

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
<tuli...@my-deja.com> skrev i en news:8es6j9$678$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> > Just thought you folks might be interested in being on the lookout
> > for someone from this email address
> > <<ere...@netvision.net.il>> sending out private emails asking
> > for text files of FOTR.

> > I don't know if it was William, Bert, or Tom, or if he had a "legit"
> > reason for wanting them. I just told him is was copyrighted
> > material, and not released as text files. Actually, come to think
> > of it it _was_ Tom! That's how he signed his message.

> I had one too - now consigned to oblivion, with the rest of the
> nuisance messages. In fact, I had two - original request, then
> correction to text files.

I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

Ravn.

Jamie Armstrong

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00

Raven wrote:

> <tuli...@my-deja.com> skrev i en news:8es6j9$678$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
>

> > I had one too - now consigned to oblivion, with the rest of the
> > nuisance messages. In fact, I had two - original request, then
> > correction to text files.
> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

Me too.

Jamie

PaulB

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
>"Raven" <jonlenn...@get2net.dk> wrote in message
>
>> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands,
>> please.

Not me, but the way this person has been going through the list I just waiting
anxiously for him mail me and tell me I'm his next contestant.

Breathe
Peace

PB

"... the essence of myth [is] that it have no taint of allegory to the maker
and yet should suggest incipient allegories to the reader..."
C. S. Lewis, having read "The Lay of Leithian"

Claude Martins

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
In article <RCmQ4.608$jL4....@news.get2net.dk>,

Raven <jonlenn...@get2net.dk> wrote:

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

Me.

- Claude.

Claude Martins | Timberwolf | ICQ: 5304950 | York U, Toronto, ON, CA
mar...@cs.yorku.ca | The Wolf Lair http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~martins/
"How lonely is the night without the howl of the wolf." -- Anon.

KO

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.
>
> Ravn.
Me

Krzysiek Okon

Dave Mansell

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
jonlenn...@get2net.dk (Raven) wrote:

> <tuli...@my-deja.com> skrev i en news:8es6j9$678$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
>

> > > Just thought you folks might be interested in being on the lookout
> > > for someone from this email address
> > > <<ere...@netvision.net.il>> sending out private emails asking
> > > for text files of FOTR.
>
> > > I don't know if it was William, Bert, or Tom, or if he had a "legit"
> > > reason for wanting them. I just told him is was copyrighted
> > > material, and not released as text files. Actually, come to think
> > > of it it _was_ Tom! That's how he signed his message.

> > I had one too - now consigned to oblivion, with the rest of the
> > nuisance messages. In fact, I had two - original request, then
> > correction to text files.

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.
>
> Ravn.

Yep me too, I suspect just about everyone who posted here recently got
one.

Dave

KO

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00

> Not me. I feel left out.

I can forward you a copy ;-)))
Krzysiek Okon

Mark Wells

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
On Fri, 5 May 2000 00:01:14 +0200, "Raven"
<jonlenn...@get2net.dk> wrote:

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

Got two, reported him to his ISP. Harvesting addresses from Usenet is
Very Rude.

Colin Rosenthal

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
On Thu, 04 May 2000 22:43:42 GMT,
Conrad Dunkerson <conrad.d...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>"Raven" <jonlenn...@get2net.dk> wrote in message
>
>> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands,
>> please.
>
>Me.

Me too. I just ignored it.

--
Colin Rosenthal
Astrophysics Institute

Matthias Joost

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
jonlenn...@get2net.dk (Raven) schrieb:

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands,
> please.
>

> Ravn.

*me*

Matthias

Tom Sherlock

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
In article <RCmQ4.608$jL4....@news.get2net.dk>,

"Raven" <jonlenn...@get2net.dk> wrote:
> <tuli...@my-deja.com> skrev i en news:8es6j9$678$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
>
> > > Just thought you folks might be interested in being on the lookout
> > > for someone from this email address
> > > <<ere...@netvision.net.il>> sending out private emails asking
> > > for text files of FOTR.
>
> > > I don't know if it was William, Bert, or Tom, or if he had a
"legit"
> > > reason for wanting them. I just told him is was copyrighted
> > > material, and not released as text files. Actually, come to think
> > > of it it _was_ Tom! That's how he signed his message.
> > I had one too - now consigned to oblivion, with the rest of the
> > nuisance messages. In fact, I had two - original request, then
> > correction to text files.
> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.
>
> Ravn.

I got them as well.
(I'm new to this newsgroup BTW).

Tom (not the _Tom_ responsible for the e-mail in question)
tomsh...@my-deja.com
tau...@mindspring.com

Öjevind Lång

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
Raven hath written:

[snip]

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

I did. Threw them away, of course.

Öjevind

Cletus the slack-jawed yokel

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
Raven wrote:

<snip>

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

Me

Bill

Andrew Wells

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
Tom Sherlock wrote in message <8euio3$qin$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
<snips>

>(I'm new to this newsgroup BTW).

Hello, and welcome tot he group.

Andrew
--
Andrew Wells

Replace nospam with my first name to reach me

Andrew Wells

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
Raven wrote in message ...

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

Two of each.

Robert Brady

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
Andrew Wells <nos...@wellinghall.force9.co.uk> wrote:
>Raven wrote in message ...
>> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

>Two of each.

Ditto.

--
Robert

Justin B. Green

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
Raven wrote:

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of
> hands, please.

Me. And I'm a newbie to RAFT who has posted here a total
of two times. People warn me not to put my real address in usenet posts,
but I've VERY rarely had any problems. This guy should be shut down.

Rory Molinari

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00

Raven> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands,
Raven> please.

I got four (two copies each of the first email, and another clearing
up the fact he was looking for digital copies.) I sent a message to
his postmaster, complaining about the spam. I haven't heard anything
back, so I think my message went to the great bitbucket in the sky.

Raven> Ravn.

Rory

Nicolas Masson

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
Raven wrote:

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.
>
> Ravn.

Altough I'm only posting there once every year, I received the two
messages too.

--
Nicolas Masson

And this was my post for 2000.

Stan Brown

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
Said kha...@mappi.helsinki.fi (Tamim Khawaja) in
rec.arts.books.tolkien:
>How could anybody help?
>Do they exist?

Yes, or at least they did a few months ago. The URL was posted
here.

>As to the morals (not to the law), to me it is not immoral to get the
>text file for quick searching purposes if you have the book in your
>shelf.

I agree with you. But as was also posted here (or perhaps in
misc.legal.moderated, where I asked the question), it's a copyright
violation to download them because that is making a copy, which is
prohibited on the copyright page.

Given your condition, that it's for searching when one has already
bought one or more paper copies, and given that the there are no
legal electronic copies whose sales we would be reducing, I think
it's morally fine. But others may disagree; and in any event the
law and morality do not always run together, alas.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
http://www.mindspring.com/~brahms/

David Sulger

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
Quoth the Raven:

>I had two of those too. How many else
>did? Show of hands, please.

I don't know if I got this one or not, but I do remember getting a spam
recently that had a huge recipient list. Most of the names on that list
seemed to be regulars in these newsgroups. I just went to look it up,
but I can't seem to find it. I usually just ditch spam, and if I got it
over a week ago, it's long gone by now.

--Dave

Tamim Khawaja

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
Raven wrote:

> <tuli...@my-deja.com> skrev i en news:8es6j9$678$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
>
> > > Just thought you folks might be interested in being on the lookout
> > > for someone from this email address
> > > <<ere...@netvision.net.il>> sending out private emails asking
> > > for text files of FOTR.
>
> > > I don't know if it was William, Bert, or Tom, or if he had a "legit"
> > > reason for wanting them. I just told him is was copyrighted
> > > material, and not released as text files. Actually, come to think
> > > of it it _was_ Tom! That's how he signed his message.
> > I had one too - now consigned to oblivion, with the rest of the
> > nuisance messages. In fact, I had two - original request, then
> > correction to text files.
> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.
>
> Ravn.

I am raising my rught hand as high as I can.

Tamim

Tamim Khawaja

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
Steuard Jensen wrote:

> Quoth "Raven" <jonlenn...@get2net.dk>:

> > I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.
>
> Yup yup. And the sad part is, there are a few people here who
> probably answered helpfully. I got them as well, and sent a quick
> "that wouldn't be very nice" message back... ah well.

How could anybody help?
Do they exist?
Is it not easier to buy the LotR in 170mk:s (30 $) than to print the
whole thing?
It is not very pleasant to read the print and who wouldn't spend that
money to make reading more pleasant.

As to the morals (not to the law), to me it is not immoral to get the
text file for quick searching purposes if you have the book in your
shelf.

Tamim

Tamim Khawaja

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
Nicolas Masson wrote:

> Raven wrote:
>
> > I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.
> >
> > Ravn.
>
> Altough I'm only posting there once every year, I received the two
> messages too.

This year's quota is then full so don't answer this.

Tamim

Eruadan

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
In article <7fyog6k...@liberty.math.lsa.umich.edu>,
moli...@math.lsa.umich.edu wrote:

> I got four (two copies each of the first email, and another clearing
> up the fact he was looking for digital copies.) I sent a message to
> his postmaster, complaining about the spam. I haven't heard anything
> back, so I think my message went to the great bitbucket in the sky.

Dunno. I think his ISP has had a bit more to worry about the last
couple of days
than complaints about a spammer.

BTW, I got two of each, too. One set on an old address that I haven't
posted from
in almost a year.

Eruadan
--
<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, because to them
you are small, insignificant, and taste good with ketchup

Freaksaus

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
On Fri, 5 May 2000 00:01:14 +0200, "Raven"
<jonlenn...@get2net.dk> scribbled on a virtual piece of paper::

><tuli...@my-deja.com> skrev i en news:8es6j9$678$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
>
>> > Just thought you folks might be interested in being on the lookout
>> > for someone from this email address
>> > <<ere...@netvision.net.il>> sending out private emails asking
>> > for text files of FOTR.
>
>> > I don't know if it was William, Bert, or Tom, or if he had a "legit"
>> > reason for wanting them. I just told him is was copyrighted
>> > material, and not released as text files. Actually, come to think
>> > of it it _was_ Tom! That's how he signed his message.
>> I had one too - now consigned to oblivion, with the rest of the
>> nuisance messages. In fact, I had two - original request, then
>> correction to text files.

> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

/me raises hand.

I think this guy sent emails to all the people active on these Tolkien
NG's.

What still puzzles me though is that the message was not written to my
direct e-mail addy but to: tol...@localhost.hccnet.nl

Freek

Tamim Khawaja

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
Stan Brown wrote:

> Given your condition, that it's for searching when one has already
> bought one or more paper copies, and given that the there are no
> legal electronic copies whose sales we would be reducing, I think
> it's morally fine. But others may disagree; and in any event the
> law and morality do not always run together, alas.

They don't and if I needed the text files and had no risk of getting
caught I would copy them.
My morals are more important in defining my actions than the Finnish law
is.
After all now it is illegal to drink on Helsinki's streets and even the
police said that they won't enforce this rule on vappu ( May Day). In
fact they haven't enforced it even on other days because there are so
many violators. Did you know, by the way, that this year helsinki is one
of the cultural capitals of Europe.
Here people seem to think that Helsinki is getting much publicity and
tourism because of it.

Tamim

Juho P. Pahajoki

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
Se oli Raven joka näin lausui, noin nimesi:
> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

I did.
*Shows his hand to Raven*

--
"Solving problems is the goal. Having fun is the goal."
-- Lars Wirzenius, "Advocating Linux"

O. Sharp

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
tuli...@my-deja.com, among others, wrote:
: Eruadan <eru...@my-deja.com> wrote:
:> Just thought you folks might be interested in being on the lookout for

:> someone from this email address <<ere...@netvision.net.il>> sending out
:> private emails asking for text files of FOTR.
: [snipppp]
: I had one too - now consigned to oblivion, with the rest of the

: nuisance messages. In fact, I had two - original request, then
: correction to text files.

I didn't get a copy. I'm so sad. :)

...But it occurs to me that what we _should_ be doing to handle these
situations in the future is write up a complete text version of _LotR_ to
give to everyone who wants a copy. Of course, that means we'd have to
type in the entire book.

Big job.

In the interests of furthering cooperation, however, I will be happy to
type in the first chapter. :)

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, Chapter One: A Long-Expected Party.
Copyright (c) 2000 by J.R.R. Tolkien. Anyone who has an interest in
living authors, at least, should illegally copy this anyway because he's
already dead.

"So you're going to go through with it, then," Gandalf the Wizard sid
slowly.
"I am," Bilbo replied. "I've been planning this for a long time.
It'll give the Hobbits of the Shire something to talk about for the next
nine days - or ninety-nine, more likely. Anyway, at least I'll have my
little joke."
"Who will laugh, I wonder?" Gandalf mused aloud, scratching his
beard idly.

For weeks carts and caravans were coming from all over Middle-earth
to bring provisions for the Grand Old Party, as Bilbo referred to it.
Wagons of food from the Dwarvish mines at Erebor, shiny rocks from the
Sea-elves and fancy seductive packages from southern Mirkwood arrived
daily, making the neighborhood generally more crowded and cluttering up
avenues. Even those who hadn't said anything bad about Bilbo before were
starting to show their annoyance. "Mr. Bilbo Baggins is starting to get a
mite annoying," old Gaffer Gamgee grumbled, standing outside the pub.
"Queer goings-on, and no mistake. Why just yesterday a bunch o' pesky
Wood-elves dragged their cart right acrost my yard and ruined my taters!"
"A bunch of Men from Bree came to my place yesterday and tried to
sell me some aluminum siding," mused Old Noakes of Bywater. "They said it
was because they had extra after building that horrible Quonset hut over
the Party Tree, and they were trying to unload it. Strange folk
hereabouts."
"Yes, but it's good for the economy," sneered Bill Ferny, the local
banker. "A lot more money in circulation. Market's been doing well.
Unionization is down because of all the entry-level service positions
that are being created. Widening gap between the haves and have-nots,
don't you think? Good to find work for idle hands."
"And you don't know nothin' about anythin', Ferny," Gaffer Gamgee
snapped, echoing the popular community sentiment. "Mr. Bilbo Baggins is a
right bastard, as I've often said, and it's small wonder if trouble don't
come of him and his imperialist ways. The Revolution's a'comin', and it's
the likes o'you who'll be the first ag'inst the wall, so sayeth the
Lord." And with that he spat a well-aimed beer-nut into Ferny's glass.

At last the day of the Big Party arrived. Everywhere there was too
much to eat, and by midafternoon there were broken presents lying all
over the Shire attesting to the low quality of their manufacture. Gandalf
set off a series of fireworks later on in the day, including great
skywriting missiles and little flaming butterflies who took to wing,
sailed off into the Eastfarthing and burned all its trees to the ground.
The last firework sent up a great black smoke which took the shape
of a giant mountain of fire. A flicker could be seen of a giant dragon
sailing about its peak; after a moment the great dragon went sailing over
the heads of the crowd, causing great panic and consternation and six
outright heart attacks before imploding somewhere over the
Sackville-Baggins' neighborhood, causing considerable property damage
which was never properly repaired generations afterward.
"That is the signal for supper!" Bilbo cried out to the survivors,
who were only partly mollified.
Later on, in the specially-designed quonset hut which Bilbo had
built especially for the occasion, all his friends and neighbors were
helping themselves to their third helpings of macaroni and cheese and
potato salad (the latter laced liberally with what Bilbo called the
"traditional secret ingredient", which while not actually a narcotic
still had unusual effects, the sum of which were still under scientific
inquiry in some circles), Bilbo stood up and motioned for quiet. "A
speech! A speech!" some of his neighbors cried out in fear.
_My dear Hobbits!_ Bilbo began. There was much cheering at this,
as Hobbits on the whole are a rather egocentric lot, and anyway the
latest round of potato salad was beginning to kick in.
_My dear Bagginses and Bracegirdles, Boffins and Borfledebees,
Casmits and Cantankerums, Fassbinders and Fazoolas, Wombats and
Wafflefoots._ "WaffleFEET!" cried out an irate old man at the back, in
fact the very man who had earned the name when Bilbo's nephew Frodo had
accidentally dropped a hot waffle-iron on his feet some years ago. He had
borne the Bagginses no ill-will, since the settlement was quite generous.
_Waflefoots,_ continued Bilbo, oblivious. _This is my nine hundreth
birthday! And though one million years is too short a time to have spent
with you all..._
There was some muffled converstaion throughout the hall, which Bilbo
took notice of. _Well, on bad days it seems like a million years,_ he
explained. _Anyway, though ten billion years is long enough to endure
from all of you, this is IT... I am GOING... I am leaving NOW...
GoodBYE!_ And with that Bilbo leaped up, tore all his clothes off,
scattering them about the astoinished guests' heads, and ran from the
great Hut screaming and flailing his arms.
Young Frodo looked on in bemusement, refusing to answer questions
from the astonished crowd. Everyone knew, of course, that Bilbo was a big
man in the community. But - and Frodo looked at the crowd, particularly
noting the astonishment on old Lobelia's face - until now, nobody knew just
_how_ big.

"Well! That's done!" Bilbo laughed, emerging from the bedroom at Bag
End freshly dressed. "You know, Gandalf, I've been wanting to do that for
as long as I can remember. Now I think this would be an excellent time to
leave the Shire, at least before they can all find their torches and
axe-handles. Everything stays with Frodo, as we promised."
"Including the Ring?" Gandalf asked.
"Well, yes, I suppose so," Bilbo replied. He pulled the Ring out
from under his cloak, where it hung on a fine golden chain Bilbo had
stolen of old from the Brandybucks. "Still, though, I kind of hate to get
rid of it."
"This seemed to me to be the only thing worthwhile about your whole
stupid plan," Gandalf said uncharacteristically. "Put it on the mantel
and walk away from it. It has got far too much hold on you. Let it go!"
"It's mine! And I shall keep it, I say!"
Gandalf raised himself up to his full height. Bilbo's hand reached
quietly for the hilt of his sword. "It will be my turn to get angry
soon," the wizard intoned. "Listen to me: you must give Frodo the Ring!"
Bilbo suddenly laughed. "Oh, _that_?" he grinned. "Well, of _course_
I'm giving him the Ring! I thought you meant the _chain._" Slipping the
Ring off the chain he set the circle of gold on the mantel without a
second thought. Then he slipped the chain about his neck. "I love this
chain. Stole it from old Matuseck Brandybuck back before he went senile.
Wouldn't part with it for love nor money. No, I don't give two flies
about the Ring. Nothing but trouble, that thing has been.
"Well, I'm off, Gandalf! I'm off on the road again, and not a moment
too soon by the look of that crowd down there." And taking an old
walking-stick from the stand by the door Bilbo went outside, taking a
path around the back of the Hill so he could leave unobserved, and as he
left he began singing a song quietly to himself:

"While often by the door I lie
And look upon the mountains' feet
And think of rains and hikers' pains
And sleeping wetly in the sleet,

When darkness' cry does terrify
And wilderness encircles you,
And being food for goblins' brood
Is one choice, and starvation two;

Then staying home instead of roam
Will have a very great appeal!
Forego the Quest! And have a rest!
Let Dwarves and Elves and wizards squeal!

But since the Shire is filled with ire,
And all my neighbors fevers grip,
It's plain to see! I must agree!
The time has come to take a trip!"

Hours later Frodo returned to Bag End, a little glad to have thrown
off the pursuit at last. He started at first to discovere someone waiting
for him in the living-room, but sighed with relief when he saw it was
only Gandalf.
"Did he get away?" Frodo asked.
"He did," Gandalf replied. "And just at the last, for they were
getting ready to set after him with dogs. Luckily he doubled back at the
Three-Farthing Stone, as I recommended, or there would be a special
bonfire in Tuckborough tonight. Are you well?"
"Yes," Frodo replied. "I managed to convince everyone I was
uninvolved with the Hay Incident."
"Good," Gandalf said. He lit his pipe with a nearby candle and
looked at Frodo evenly. "He left things for you on the mantel. The ded to
Bag End, a signed statement saying you were only an unwitting accomplice
in the Bywater Incident, and-"
"The Ring!" Frodo said, looking at the mantel with astonishment.
"Has he left me that?"
"He has," Gandalf replied, "though you'll have to find a new chain.
But if I may counsel you in the use of your own - don't use it! Now or
later! It may have other powers besides quick and easy seduction."
"I can't believe Bilbo left me the Ring," Frodo gasped. "He used to
say that it and a bottle of Westfarthing Chinook was all you needed for
the perfect weekend."
"Well, lock it up someplace and stay away from it," Gandalf intoned.
"No Took-wives, no Elf-virgins, and no real estate deals. And no political
aspirations! In the morning I'm off to see if I can learn more about it.
In the meantime leave it unused until I return."
"I'll, uh, I'll think about that, all right," Frodo blurted, trying
hard not to think about the Ring and young Cassiopiea Took.
The next morning Gandalf left, leaving Frodo with only his thoughts,
his yearnings and a half-empty bottle of Westfarthing Chinook for
company.

o...@netcom.com And now I can pass it on for Chapter Two. Ojevind,
would you care to do the honours? :)

Legolas

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
Raven <jonlenn...@get2net.dk> wrote in message
> I had two of those too. How many else did? Show of hands, please.

I got the messages too.
BTW why is it so bad that he asked for it?

--
Legolas
Legol...@softhome.net

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

Conrad Dunkerson

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
"Legolas" <Legol...@softhome.net> wrote in message

> I got the messages too.
> BTW why is it so bad that he asked for it?

It's a copyright thing. It might be argued that in most cases
people who have the e-text version will probably already own a
copy of the books... but even if this is imagined to be true the
pirating of an electronic version can damage the chances of a
legitimate e-text ever being produced.

Stan Brown

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00