Edmund R. Meskys 1936-2021:Covered before?

Louis Epstein

Nov 2, 2023, 12:06:39 AM11/2/23
I do not recall seeing newsgroup coverage of the death of
Edmund R. Meskys (born March 11th 1936),who a web search
reveals died of a heart attack on July 25th 2021.
If anyone has archive links to messages I missed or forgot,
please redirect me.

He was active for decades in science fiction and fantasy
fandom and I ordinarily always met him at Lunacon (the
most recent one I did not attend was in 1978 but the most
recent one held was in 2017)...he had attended them since
the first.

In 1967 he took over leadership of the Tolkien Society of
America from its college-student founder Dick Plotz,and
maintained it until he lost sight in his remaining eye and
chose to fold it into the broader-focussed Mythopoeic
Society in 1972...he eventually joined the National Tolkien League
(which I co-founded in 1973) in 1984.

He was best known for his long-running fanzine Niekas,
I have a number of issues.

-=-=-

MummyChunk

Jan 11, 2024, 10:37:52 PMJan 11
searched the web for any newsgroup coverage of his death, but I could
not find any. However, I did find a few articles and obituaries that
paid tribute to his life and achievements.

Ed Meskys (1936-2021) - File 770: This article provides a detailed
biography of Meskys, as well as some photos and anecdotes from his
friends and fellow fans.

Ed Meskys - Fancyclopedia 3: This article summarizes Meskys s fan
activities, fanzines, awards, and honors.

Franklyn Mansfield Branley Edmund R. Me Kys - eNotes: This article is
a review of a book by Franklyn M. Branley, a science writer and
educator, that Meskys wrote for Niekas in 1965.

He sounds like a remarkable person and who will be missed "

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=658352521#658352521