Looking for a book

googler

Mar 1, 2012, 6:37:05 PM3/1/12
I have searched for 20+ years for this book but cannot find it. Any
help would be appreciated.

I don't know the author. I believe the title of the book was Henry of
Navarre. Its is work of fiction / historical romance. None of the
books with the same title are the one i'm looking for.
Here is some info from the book I'm looking for :
Principal characters - Jehanne, Robert of Marny, Henry of Navarre,
Gabriel de Estrees, The principle villian Duc de Guise
Plot : Opening scene - Jehanne is about to me burnt at the stake as a
witch but is rescued by Marny (marries her to save her). The story
revolves around their romance as well as the romance between Henri of
Navarre and Gabriel de Estrees. There is an assassination attempt on
Henry of Navarre during a hunting excursion in which Marny ends up
being wounded.

Any lead would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Anwaar

Steffan O'Sullivan

Mar 1, 2012, 7:24:20 PM3/1/12
Sounds like something by Stanley Weyman, as he was a fanboy of Henry
of Navarre. I don't think it's _A Gentleman of France_, though,
which features Henry, but those details don't sound familiar.

You might check the plots of some of his other titles:
http://www.stanleyweyman.com/index1.html .

--
-Steffan O'Sullivan |
s...@panix.com | "Men nowhere, but real boys at Sparta."

googler

Mar 1, 2012, 9:35:25 PM3/1/12
On Mar 1, 4:24 pm, s...@panix.com (Steffan O'Sullivan) wrote:
Thanks,
For the quick repsonse. I had checked "A Gentleman of France". Its not
it. I will check out the other titles though.
Thanks once again.

Francis A. Miniter

Mar 2, 2012, 11:19:06 PM3/2/12

Bart Dinnissen

Mar 3, 2012, 1:04:34 PM3/3/12
On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:37:05 -0800 (PST), googler <anwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know the author. I believe the title of the book was Henry of
>Navarre. Its is work of fiction / historical romance. None of the
>books with the same title are the one i'm looking for.

It all sounds vagely familiar to me ... Henri de Navarre? Would he be the one
who used the motto "J'y suis!" while jumping into a swordfight or rescueing a
damsel in distress or something such?

He reminded me of The Scarlet Pimpernel (by Baronesse D'Orczy).

--
Bart Dinnissen

Ron Boyd

Mar 5, 2012, 4:15:45 PM3/5/12
On Mar 3, 10:04 am, Bart Dinnissen <dinnis...@chello.nl> wrote:
Thank you all for your help. I might have located the book because a
few keywords matched in one of my online searches and I sent an
enquiry to the publisher. The book is called Love of Navarre by
Margaret Peterson. It would have to be a real bizarre coincidence for
more than one book to have the first chapter about a witch's trial,
the principle characters Robert Marny and Bellegarde. I think this
might be it. The book seems to be extremely rare since only two online
sellers have it and only 3 libraries (all of them in Europe). If
anyone has read this book can you please confirm the info I listed
above including the witch's name - Jehanne. I ordered the book but
still not sure if its the one I'm looking for.

Once again, Thank you all for your responses !
Anwaar

Ron Boyd

Mar 5, 2012, 4:29:11 PM3/5/12
> Try looking at this search:http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=&title=Henry+o...
>
> There are a couple possibilities there. E.g., Young Henry of
> Navarre by Heinrich Mann.
>
> --
> Francis A. Miniter
>
> Mesure is Medicine þauh þou muche ȝeor[n]e.
> Al nis not good to þe gost þat þe bodi lykeþ,
> Ne lyflode to þe licam þat leof is to þe soule.
>
> William Langland, The Vision of Piers Plowman
>         Passus I, lines 33 - 35

I read that one also but not the one I'm looking for. Thanks for the
help though :).