R.I.P. Jane Reichhold, 79, in July 2016 (haiku poet)

leno...@yahoo.com

Jan 11, 2017, 5:25:53 PM1/11/17
She lived near Gulala, California.

One of her more popular books was "Writing and Enjoying Haiku: A Hands-on Guide," 2003.

https://breathhaiku.wordpress.com/2016/08/06/jane-reichhold-1937-2016/

Excerpt:

...Jane was also a popular and busy figure around the Gualala Arts Centre where she instigated a short haiku walk (see the Postcard for more) and, since 2006, had operated and moderated the online AHAForum where poets could meet and discuss their work. She and husband Werner established AHA Poetry in 1996 and although the site is still active, it is now an archive, last updated in 2014 when they decided to close their journal Lynx...

https://tinywords.com/author/jane-reichhold/

"Jane Reichhold (1937-2016). Jane Reichhold was born as Janet Styer in 1937 in Lima, Ohio, USA. In her lifetime she published over forty books of her haiku, renga, tanka, and translations. As founder and editor of AHA Books, Jane also published Mirrors: International Haiku Forum, Geppo, for the Yuki Teikei Haiku Society, and she co-edited with her husband Werner Reichhold, Lynx for Linking Poets from 1992 through 2013. Lynx went online in 2000 in AHApoetry.com , the website Jane started in 1995. From 2006 to 2016 she maintained an online forum – the AHA Poetry forum.Jane was twice the winner of the Museum of Haiku Literature Award [Tokyo]. She was a three-time winner of a Haiku Society of America’s Merit Book Award: Tigers in Teacup, Silence, and A Dictionary of Haiku. She was the winner of numerous other haiku awards and was honored by the Emperor and Empress of Japan by invitation to attend the Imperial New Year’s Poetry Party as a guest at the Palace in Tokyo in 1998. Jane Reichhold was a gifted writer, translator and teacher of the art of haiku and other Japanese forms. The international haiku community is lessened by her passing."

https://www.amazon.com/Jane-Reichhold/e/B0034PTGYY
(includes a short autobiographical piece)

Excerpt:

"...At Reedley Junior College in California I was able to return to night school and I even went on to Fresno State trying to piece together a degree, a family, and my job as Occupational Therapist at Kings View Hospital – a church-run psychiatric facility.

"Over the next twenty years I wrote free-lance articles for everything from Mennonite Church papers for children to art and gay magazines in Germany. In the late 1970s I rediscovered haiku, Japanese culture, and a love of small books. After a divorce and remarriage in Germany I returned to the States and in 1987 started the magazine, Mirrors – An International Forum for Haiku. Through this I also discovered the Japanese poetry forms of renga and tanka. At the same time I switched my company from Humidity Productions and art films to AHA Books in order to concentrate on books of poetry. My daughter made the comment; 'Give her enough candy wrappers and she will make a book out of them' was not far from the truth..."

https://www.google.com/search?q=jane+reichhold+books&noj=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq_qjekLvRAhVGLSYKHfX6B3AQ_AUICSgC&biw=1238&bih=700#imgrc=_
(photos and book covers)

http://chevrefeuillescarpediem.blogspot.com/2016/08/carpe-diem-special-tribute-in-memoriam.html
(about her poetry)

http://www.encyclopedia.com/arts/educational-magazines/reichhold-janet-e-1937
(credentials and works)

Excerpt:

Reichhold: "...Yet, there is something more important than poetry or writing. Yes, even and especially for writers, there is an asset more vital. That is learning to live what has been called the 'way of haiku.' Too much of English-language poetry is based on laments, whining, complaints, and oh-woe-is-me. These feelings we will always have, and they have been repeatedly expressed in good and bad poetry for several centuries. What we need to experience is how to go into each day excited by the possibilities it holds, to be aware of the majesty of our universe even as it settles as specks of dust on the table, to be open to the flashes of inspiration, and to be able to write down these feelings in a succinct fashion. This richness of life, living, and joy is available to every person in any situation. Nothing is more sacred than a mind bent to beauty, majesty, and awe. And that is where haiku is."

http://www.ahapoetry.com/JRBIO.HTM
(this includes a long prose piece by Reichhold, from 1993)

http://simplyhaiku.com/SHv6n2/features/Reichhold.html
(long interview from 2008, by Robert D. Wilson)

http://www.ahapoetry.com/AHI%20Llitaras%20inview.html
(interview from 2010, by D.S. Lliteras)

http://www.ahapoetry.com/AHI%20ami%20interview.html
(LONG interview from 2011, by Ami Kaye)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#tbm=vid&q=%22jane+reichhold%22
(videos - she appears in one)

WORKS:

Tigers in a Teacup (haiku poetry), AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1988.

(Editor) The Land of Seven Realms, AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1989.

(With Bambi Walker) A Literary Curiosity: ThePyramid Renga "Open," AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1989.

Narrow Road to Renga: A Collection of Renga, AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1989.

A Gift of Tanka: Contemporary English Tanka, AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1990.

A Dictionary of Haiku: Classified by Season Words with Traditional and Modern Methods, AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1992.

Wave of Mouth Stories, AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1993.

(Editor, with Werner Reichhold) Wind Five-Folded, AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1994.

(With Werner Reichhold) In the Presence: Tanka, AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1998.

(Translator, with Hatsue Kawamura) Saito Fumi, WhiteLetter Poems, AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1998.

(Translator, with Hatsue Kawamura) Akiko Baba, Heavenly Maiden Tanka, AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1999.

Geography Lens, AHA Books (Gualala, CA), 1999.

(Translator, with Hatsue Kawamura) A String of Flowers, Untied . . . Love Poems from "The Tale of Genji," Stone Bridge Press (Berkeley, CA), 2003.

Writing and Enjoying Haiku: A Hands-on Guide, Kodansha America (New York, NY), 2003.

Also author of Shadows on an Open Window (haiku poetry), 1979; Installation: Collage in Space, 1982; From the Dipper . . . Drops, 1983; Duet for One Mirror, 1983; Thumbtacks on a Calendar, 1985; Cherries/Apples, 1986; Graffıti, 1986; As Stones Cry Out, 1987; Silence, 1991; Trashopper Haique, 1992; Classical Mega-Brain Potential, 1992; (with Werner Reichhold) Inksmith, 1992; (with Werner Reichhold) Oracle, 1993; Bowls I Buy (e-book), 1996. Author of Breasts of Snow: Tanka of Fumiko Nakato, 1922-1954, Japan Times Book Company. Editor of Round Renga Round, 1990.

Editor of "Poet Tree," in Coast, 1991-97, and Mirror, 1987-95. Contributor of articles and poetry to periodicals in the United States, Canada, England, and Europe. Editor, Geppo, 1991-94; coeditor, LYNX, 1993—.

Lenona.