R.I.P. Ali Mitgutsch, 86, German artist/writer: 1980s "Start to Finish" series

Lenona

Jan 12, 2022, 10:09:06 AM1/12/22
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.books.childrens/c/CS8VR4bi9uY/m/OUUCjcrKBQAJ
(birthday post from 2015, with a bio, reader reviews, videos, booklist, and other links)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ali+mitgutsch&biw=1280&bih=929&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCKnhmbfBuscCFcIZHgodaIwO5g&dpr=1#imgrc=_
(photos & artwork - very nice!)

And Wikipedia says he won the Hans Christian Andersen Award in 1978, but no, he didn't and never did - he wasn't even a finalist for that year. The German finalist for Illustration was Janosch, and the finalist for Writing was Ottfried Preussler. (Both were nominated multiple times.) The WINNERS that year were American author Paula Fox and Danish illustrator Svend Otto S.

https://gettotext.com/munich-famous-creator-of-the-hidden-object-books-ali-mitgutsch-86-died/
(this has several photos)

By Oliver Adey.

The illustrator and artist Ali Mitgutsch is dead. The Wimmelbuch creator died on Monday evening at the age of 86 in Munich, his friend and biographer Ingmar Gregorzewski told the German Press Agency on Tuesday, citing the family of the deceased.

The Ravensburger Verlag had previously reported on Mitgutsch’s death, citing Gregorzewski and literary agent Oliver Brauer. “Cheeky, funny, loving – Ali Mitgutsch’s view of the world, of the magic of everyday life, was unique, has inspired generations of children and adults and made him the” father of hidden objects “, said Ravensburger in an appreciation. The publisher bowed “to his friend and long-time author”.

Mitgutsch’s Wimmel Books have been telling wonderful everyday stories for decades without words and in a colorful way – from the swimming pool, the farm, the mountains or the city. “He was Schwabinger through and through, looked curiously and with a keen eye for details and curiosities at the world around him,” said Ravensburger.

“The humorous and often unmasking look at mishaps, absurdities and the comic in everyday life and relationships flowed into his ‘self-telling storybooks’, as he called his hidden worlds.”

Ali Mitgutsch was born in Munich on August 21, 1935. He began his career as a graphic designer, as Ravensburger announced. In 1968 his first hidden object book “All around in my city” was published by the publisher. More than 70 books, posters and puzzles have appeared with his figures and drawings.

Mitgutsch got food for his pictures on forays through the city. “I always have a small pad and a pen with me and quickly draw sketches that I will work with later,” he once said in an interview with the German Press Agency.

Lenona

Jan 12, 2022, 10:20:16 AM1/12/22
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/ali-mitgutsch/
(Two Kirkus reviews of the puzzle book Our Big City, plus A Knight's Book - amusing)