Happy 90th, Mitsumasa Anno! (Japanese illustrator & 1984 HCA Medalist)

leno...@yahoo.com

Mar 20, 2016, 3:37:07 PM3/20/16
A former math teacher, he lives in Tokyo.

Incredibly, I couldn't find ANYTHING about today's birthday!

He also received the 1974 Kate Greenaway Medal Honor Award for "Anno's Alphabet."

http://www.librarypoint.org/about_anno
(brief bio)

http://biography.jrank.org/pages/1126/Anno-Mitsumasa-1926-Sidelights.html
(long article on his work)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsumasa_Anno

http://www.carolhurst.com/authors/manno.html

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=mitsumasa%20anno%20&sa=N&tab=wi
(artwork - many of his books are wordless and very detailed)

http://www.lookingglassreview.com/html/mitsumasa_anno.html
(brief bio)

Excerpt:

"With a firm grounding in both mathematics and literature, Anno has
published numerous books teeming with originality. Some of his most
famous picture books are "Anno's Magical ABC", "Anno's Twice Told Tales
by the Brothers Grimm and Mr. Fox".
"Mitsumasa Anno was awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Medal, the
highest honor attainable in the field of children's book illustration
in 1984."

http://www.yamaneko.org/einfo/mgzn/jcb_e0104.htm
(interview from 2004, with partial booklist and more)

http://biography.jrank.org/pages/1127/Anno-Mitsumasa-1926.html
(longer booklist)

http://www.hiroshimapeacemedia.jp/?p=20470
(interview from 2013)

Excerpts:

Q: "Your pictures have a nostalgic air."

A: "If I draw pictures of modern Japan, they will look old in as little as three years, so I decided to create images of scenes from my childhood. Some households didn't have electricity back then, but people weren't unhappy. Society today depends too much on electricity. I myself came to realize that fact only after the accident at the nuclear power plant."

(snip)

"A museum dedicated to his work, the Anno Art Museum, is located in his hometown of Tsuwano."

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/72077.Mitsumasa_Anno
(reader reviews)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mitsumasa+anno&tbm=vid
(videos about his books)