Happy 90th, Christine King Farris! (Memoirist: "My Brother Martin," 2003)

leno...@yahoo.com

Sep 11, 2017, 3:26:55 PM9/11/17
A professor of education, she lives in Atlanta.

From Contemporary Authors:

"...She is the sister of famed civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and she has written about him and about her recollections of him. Her first book, My Brother Martin, is addressed to young children and focuses on King's rather ordinary childhood. In this manner, Farris seeks to undermine her brother's almost mythical status. The point of doing so, she has noted, is to encourage children to see that they do not have to be extraordinary in order to achieve the extraordinary..."

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/author/christine-king-farris/
(two Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/93277.Christine_King_Farris
(reader reviews)

http://bijog.com/biography/christine-king-farris
(bio and photo)

http://www.thehistorymakers.org/biography/christine-king-farris-41
(another bio)

http://kingencyclopedia.stanford.edu/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/enc_farris_willie_christine_king_1927/
(another)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/03/mlk.sister/index.html
(long interview from 2008)

https://www.literacyworldwide.org/blog/literacy-daily/2013/01/17/martin-luther-king-jr-s-sister-christine-king-farris-and-illustrator-chris-soentpiet-collaborate-on-children-s-book
(Farris, with her illustrator)

http://www.educationupdate.com/archives/2014/JAN/HTML/cov-ChristineKingFarris.html
(2014 article about Farris)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoQcr-glEkc
(2013 speech by Farris at the Lincoln Memorial)

https://www.c-span.org/video/?165938-1/brother-martin
(Farris reads aloud "My Brother Martin" and answers questions)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tavis-smiley/my-conversation-with-dr-k_b_82386.html
(short 2008 video interview with Tavis Smiley)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpCuokrdIII
(Farris interviewed by Tom Brokaw about Obama's election)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9kInSfim0
(C-SPAN interview from 2009?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xmYleKG_HA
("My Brother Martin" gets read aloud by "Mrs. Parker")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GggAea2bryI
(12:42 slideshow of Farris' wedding anniversary)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_King_Farris

WRITINGS:
MEMOIRS

My Brother Martin: A Sister Remembers Growing Up with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (young readers), illustrated by Chris Soentpiet, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (New York, NY), 2003.

March On! The Day My Brother Martin Changed the World, illustrated by London Ladd, Scholastic Press (New York, NY), 2008.

Through It All: Reflections on My Life, My Family, and My Faith, Atria Books (New York, NY), 2009.

She also wrote an activity booklet: "Martin Luther King, Jr.: His Life And Dream" in 1986.

Lenona.