Happy 80th, Ali Mitgutsch! (German artist/writer: 1980s "Start to Finish" series)

leno...@yahoo.com

Aug 21, 2015, 11:51:59 AM8/21/15
He was born in Munich, where he still has a home.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Mitgutsch
(in German)

http://www.goethe.de/kue/lit/prj/kju/ill/mr/mit/enindex.htm
(brief bio in English)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ali+mitgutsch&biw=1280&bih=929&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCKnhmbfBuscCFcIZHgodaIwO5g&dpr=1#imgrc=_
(photos & artwork - very nice!)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ali+mitgutsch&biw=1280&bih=929&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCKnhmbfBuscCFcIZHgodaIwO5g&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=ali+mitgutsch+books
(scroll down to see books with English titles)

http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/296313.Ali_Mitgutsch
(reader reviews - twenty titles are in English - almost all of those are nonfiction)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ali+mitgutsch+books&biw=1280&bih=929&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoBGoVChMI8-WY0sO6xwIVgbIeCh2rXA7i&dpr=1#tbm=vid&q=ali+mitgutsch+
(videos)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ali+mitgutsch+books&biw=1280&bih=929&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoBGoVChMI8-WY0sO6xwIVgbIeCh2rXA7i&dpr=1#
(more videos)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3096502/
(short filmography)

WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:

"START TO FINISH" SERIES; SELF-ILLUSTRATED
*From Beet to Sugar (originally published as Von der Ruebe zum Zucker), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Blossom to Honey (originally published as Von der Blute zum Honig), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Cacao Bean to Chocolate (originally published as Vom Kakao zur Schokolade), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Cement to Bridge (originally published as Vom Zement zur Brucke), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Clay to Bricks (originally published as Vom Lehn zum Ziegel), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Cotton to Pants (originally published as Von der Baumwolle zur Hose), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Cow to Shoe (originally published as Von der Kuh zum Schuh), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Fruit to Jam (originally published as Vom Obst zur Marmelade), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Grain to Bread (originally published as Vom Korn zum Brot), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Grass to Butter (originally published as Vom Gras zur Butter), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Milk to Ice Cream (originally published as Von der Milch zum Speiseeis), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Oil to Gasoline (originally published as Vom Erdol zum Benzin), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Ore to Spoon (originally published as Vom Erz zum Loffel), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Sand to Glass (originally published as Vom Sand zum Glas), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Seed to Pear (originally published as Vom Kern zur Birne), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Sheep to Scarf (originally published as Vom Schaf zum Schal), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Tree to Table (originally published as Vom Baum zum Tisch), Carolrhoda, 1981.
*From Gold to Money (originally published as Vom Gold zum Geld), Carolrhoda, 1985.
*From Graphite to Pencil (originally published as Vom Graphit zum Bleistift), Carolrhoda, 1985.
*From Sea to Salt (originally published as Vom Meer zum Salz), Carolrhoda, 1985.
*From Swamp to Coal (originally published as Vom Urwald zur Kohle), Carolrhoda, 1985.
*From Lemon to Lemonade (originally published as Von der Zitrone zur Limonade), Carolrhoda, 1986.
*From Rubber Tree to Tire (originally published as Vom Kautschuksaft zum Reifen), Carolrhoda, 1986.
*From Wood to Paper (originally published as Vom Holz zum Papier), Carolrhoda, 1986.
*From Idea to Toy (originally published as Vom Bar zum Teddy), Carolrhoda, 1988.
*From Picture to Picture Book (originally published as Vom Maler zum Bilderbuch), Carolrhoda, 1988.

IN ENGLISH TRANSLATION; SELF-ILLUSTRATED

*World on Wheels, translated and adapted by Alice Popper, Golden Press, 1975, published in England as All about Wheels, Dent.
*The Busy Book, Golden Press, 1976.
*A Knight's Book (originally published as Ali Mitgutsch Ritterbuch), translation by Elizabeth D. Crawford, Clarion Books, 1991.

OTHER
*(With Irmgard Haller) Die Hexe und die sieben Fexe, Ravensburger, 1970.

"Also author of All around My Town, Western Publishing (originally published as Rundherum in meiner Stadt, Ravensburger), and Nico Finds a Treasure, Blackie."

leno...@yahoo.com

Aug 21, 2015, 12:02:23 PM8/21/15
Forgot to say - there are plenty of birthday greetings! (All in German, from what I see.)

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=ali+mitgutsch&oq=ali+mitgutsch&gs_l=news-cc.3..43j43i53.89279.92108.0.92557.13.6.0.7.7.0.101.499.5j1.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.nJBC_UdvilQ&gws_rd=ssl#hl=en&gl=us&authuser=0&q=%22ali+mitgutsch%22+80

He also may have been nominated for the Hans Christian Andersen Award for Illustration in 1978, but I'll have to make sure he was actually his country's finalist.

Lenona.

leno...@yahoo.com

Aug 22, 2015, 2:44:12 PM8/22/15

> He also may have been nominated for the Hans Christian Andersen Award for Illustration in 1978, but I'll have to make sure he was actually his country's finalist.

Turns out, no, he never was - the German finalist in 1978 for Writing was Ottfried Preussler and the finalist for Illustration was Janosch. (Both were nominated multiple times.) The WINNERS that year were American author Paula Fox and Danish illustrator Svend Otto S.

Lenona.