World's Funniest Bonsai Stories

CrowsHaven

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
Looking at some of the recent posts from people new to bonsai made me think
about my most embarrassing/funny bonsai story. If you have a great story,
feel free to chime in on this thread - I'll be looking to see if anyone can
top mine! :-)

About ten years ago I started with my first bonsai, a serissa which I
miraculously kept alive for 2 whole years (this is my personal best for
serissa & also the reason you'll find none in my current collection).
Anyway, we moved to an apartment complex which had a small wooded area
behind it. Deciding to collect a wild specimen I could keep on my balcony,
I went hunting for a young sugar maple amidst the larger trees.
Miraculously, I found a two inch tall maple, dug it up, and planted it in a
nice pot at home. When my family dropped by a few weeks later, I told my
mother to go out on the balcony and check out my new bonsai. When she came
back in, she looked very confused. When I asked her what was wrong, she
simply said "I didn't know you could bonsai poison ivy!"

Tadgh (who is obviously not allergic to poison ivy) in KC
mul...@prodigy.net

Jack Larwa

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
Bonsai poison ivy. Now theres an idea. Bonsai a poison ivy and train it
around all your trees. That might make a nice deterrent.
jack
Zone 6b (7 on some maps)
Cadiz, Ky

Jim Lewis

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
>Bonsai poison ivy. Now theres an idea. Bonsai a poison ivy and
train it
>around all your trees. That might make a nice deterrent.
>jack

Might be possible. Some of the poison ivy growing up my big oaks has
a stem of better than an inch in diameter. Pruning and bending would
pose a slight problem, though for anyone who wanted to try it.

Jim Lewis - jkl...@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL -- who USED to be
immune to poison ivy

+++++This list is supported, in part, by a contribution from Alan Walker+++++
TO leave the list send SIGNOFF BONSAI to: LIST...@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>-->> Visit the IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://users.nbn.net/~herrfam/Index.html <<--<<

John Romano

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
In a message dated 8/22/99 3:00:08 PM, jkl...@NETTALLY.COM writes:

<<Might be possible. Some of the poison ivy growing up my big oaks has
a stem of better than an inch in diameter. Pruning and bending would
pose a slight problem, though for anyone who wanted to try it.

Jim Lewis >>

Nick Lenz has been doing poison ivy bonsai for years - some actually not so
bad. The leaf does not reduce very well however. You can see a photo or
two in Nicks book - Bonsai from the Wild.
John Romano
bunj...@aol.com

John Biel

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
Jack Larwa wrote:

> Bonsai poison ivy. Now theres an idea. Bonsai a poison ivy and train it
> around all your trees. That might make a nice deterrent.

See also Nick Lenz's book "Bonsai from the Wild", where he discusses
using poison ivy as bonsai.

John Biel
Toronto ON Canada

Bob Polk

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
CrowsHaven wrote:

> Looking at some of the recent posts from people new to bonsai made me think
> about my most embarrassing/funny bonsai story. If you have a great story,
> feel free to chime in on this thread - I'll be looking to see if anyone can
> top mine! :-)

Some eight years ago I was working for Maine Bonsai Nurseries (now defunct) selling
bonsai at a mall. (Hey, they were nice trees!).

A little girl of about six or seven came by, ahead of her mother. And when her mother
caught up she said... "Mom, look, Bon Jovi trees"

Bob in Oregon

Morrow, Carl

Aug 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/23/99
:) Looking at some of the recent posts from people new to bonsai made me think
:) about my most embarrassing/funny bonsai story.

Dear All
Here is one related to us last week by one of South Africa's Bonsai
pioneers, Bernard Coetzee.

At least 25 years ago, in the mid 1970's Bernard was helping at a
Bonsai show being held at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. He
suddenly noticed a small fountain of sawdust flying out of the front
of one of the trees on display. Upon closer inspection he saw a
small hole at the end of which there must have been a very busy
borer that was creating a little pile of dust at the base of the
tree. Ever diligent, Bernard went to his tool box, pulled out a
syringe with hyperdermic needle, filled it with insecticide and
proceeded to march up to the tree, stick the needle into the hole and
give the bug a squirt of death.

A visitor was then heard to say to her friend "See _that's_ how they
do it!"

Carl Morrow
Cape Town, South Africa.
(34S 18E)