[ADMIN] Posting guidelines for rec.arts.ascii

1 view

RAA Mods

May 7, 2011, 3:05:54 PM5/7/11

____ _ _
| _ \ ___ ___| |_(_)_ __ __ _
| |_) / _ \/ __| __| | '_ \ / _` |
| __/ (_) \__ \ |_| | | | | (_| |
|_| \___/|___/\__|_|_| |_|\__, |
|___/

____ _ _ _ _
/ ___|_ _(_) __| | ___| (_)_ __ ___ ___
| | _| | | | |/ _` |/ _ \ | | '_ \ / _ \/ __|
| |_| | |_| | | (_| | __/ | | | | | __/\__ \
\____|\__,_|_|\__,_|\___|_|_|_| |_|\___||___/

The full posting guidelines and moderation policies are available at
http://www.drabble.me.uk/usenet/raa.shtml

Any inquiries, comments or suggestions should be sent to the group
moderator at rec-arts-asc...@gweep.ca.

============
Introduction
============

rec.arts.ascii was created on 6th June 1994 as a moderated group
with the initial moderator being Bob Allison. He handed over to
Don Bertino in July 1996 who moderated the group up until May 1999
when it became dead. In April 2002 I decided to try and revive the
group using Brian Edmonds robomoderator hosted at gweep.ca. My
thanks go to Brian for the donation of his facilities.

Since its creation a number of control messages have been sent
which at some sites appear to have erroneously changed the status
of the group to unmoderated. If this is the case at your site, you
should bring it to the attention of your news admin, as any postings
you make to a moderated group which is not properly recognized as
such at your site will be silently discarded at any site where the
group is correctly carried as moderated

=======
Charter
=======

The official charter for rec.arts.ascii, as sent in the newgroup
control message, is:

The new group rec.arts.ascii will be the appropriate group for
postings to include, but not be limited to, the following:

o All forms of ASCII art including, but not limited to:
- Standard ASCII art.
- Animations.
- ANSI color graphics.
o Discussion about pieces of art.
o Requests for specific pieces of art, and their fulfillment.
o Questions and answers covering:
- Creating and viewing ASCII art.
- Locating FTP sites for ASCII art and related files.
o Discussion about artists in the field.

===
===

An ascii art FAQ is posted to the group with the subject
[FAQ] Ascii Art Help and Guidance.
This is also available at
http://www.ascii-art.de/ascii/faq.html .

==========
Moderation
==========

rec.arts.ascii was created as a moderated group meaning that all posts
are reviewed before being sent to the group. That work is done by a
robomoderator which checks that the posts have the correct format
before approving them. It can also forward a specific posters posts
to a human moderation for approval if necessary but it is hoped that
the group will be self policing and that this will not be necessary.

The criteria checked for are:

Subject must be tagged either

[PIC] for pictures
[REQ] for requests for others to draw pictures (people responding to
such requests are asked to change the tag to [PIC])
[DIS] for general ascii art related discussion.

The moderators will also use
[ADMIN] for posting any other important information regarding the
functioning of the group.

The robomod will also check that the posts are in plain text only and
that the line length is set to less than 200 characters. Unless you
have the phrase 'long lines' in the body please keep the lines to less
than 80 characters, the robomod will send out reminders of this if you
don't. Anything longer than this will be sent to the moderator for hand
inspection.

Cross-posting will be allowed provided that it is to no more than three
groups and that the followup-to header is set to only one group.
Cross-posting to other moderated groups is not allowed except under
extreme circumstances. If you think you have a very good case then
contact the moderators.

====================
How To Submit A Post

At a correctly configured site you should simply be able to post to
rec.arts.ascii and everything will be managed for you behind the scenes.
If you find this does not work for you, you can submit directly to the
submission agent by mailing your posting to rec-art...@gweep.ca.
Please try the newsgroup first, and be sure to bring any problems to the
attention of your local news administrator so that they can be dealt with.

newsgroup, so subscribers can use whichever of the newsgroup, list, or
digest formats is most comfortable.