[GAINAX] [ADV] EvaGate '96

Angst-sensei

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
So what's the *real* story, kiddies?

On the one hand, we have AD Vision, proud trumpeters of their new
license of SHIN SEIKI EVANGELION, claiming that the original TV
animation will be improved/touched up by the time it reaches American
soil--but no word on whether this is an international-only thing or
whether the Japanese LDs will feature the same enhancements.

On the other hand, we have Gainax, who (through a third party) denies
all knowledge of said "enhancements", and makes not-so-veiled legal
murmurings.

On the third hand, there are the non-Japanese Eva fans, some of whom are
excited at the prospect of OVA-quality Eva, some of whom see it as
American corporate greed infecting the Japanese animation industry.

On the fourth hand (lots of hands here, Shiva), we have the Japanese Eva
fans, some of whom think the recent spate of blood'n'sex on primetime
Eva is the result of American corporate greed infecting the Japanese
animation industry.

So what's really going on? For purposes of answering this question,
ignore the fans; very few REALLY know what's going on, and they'll all
have a different opinion of the matter. (Me too--after seeing how ADV
worked with the fansub scripter of DRAGON HALF, I'm convinced they could
pull off a non-bastardized Eva.)

Aka corner: AD Vision, who has in its time been accused of many a thing,
but I don't think outright lying has ever been one of them.

Aoi corner: Gainax, returning giant of the anime industry, from whom we
wish we could see an official, direct statement.

There's the bell. It's time for Round One of "What the Hell is Going On?"

--Angst-sensei
(And the hits just keep on coming. *sock!* oof...)

--
/-\ ** Jeff Williamson *** Lightfall Integrated Media *** Chicago, IL ** /-\
|A| E-mail: doca...@mcs.com *@_@* Anime Central Recruitment Coordinator |9|

hair...@utdallas.edu

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
Angst-sensei (doca...@MCS.COM) wrote:
> So what's the *real* story, kiddies?

> On the one hand, we have AD Vision, proud trumpeters of their new
> license of SHIN SEIKI EVANGELION, claiming that the original TV
> animation will be improved/touched up by the time it reaches American
> soil--but no word on whether this is an international-only thing or
> whether the Japanese LDs will feature the same enhancements.

> On the other hand, we have Gainax, who (through a third party) denies
> all knowledge of said "enhancements", and makes not-so-veiled legal
> murmurings.

Err, Jeff, Michael House *IS* an employee of Gainax, talks daily with Anno
and the other top people there, and his posting *was* the official
announcment from Gainax, not a "third-party" post.

> So what's really going on?

I've corresponded with Michael to confirm this and basically, ADV
has *no* rights to Evangelion and Gainax is upset that they are claiming
that they do. With WoH and Nadia, someone else owned the distribution
rights and Gainax was out of the loop when the overseas rights were sold.
For Evangelion, from what I've gathered, Gainax has some or all of the
say in who gets the overseas rights, so their surprise at ADV's announcment
doesn't bode well.

> Aoi corner: Gainax, returning giant of the anime industry, from whom we
> wish we could see an official, direct statement.

You already have it. Go back and reread Michael's post.

Marc Hairston
hair...@utdallas.edu
Nadia webpage http://utd500.utdallas.edu/~hairston/nadiahpbck.html

John Chennavasin

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In article <4g4rj0$h...@utdallas.edu>, <hair...@utdallas.edu> wrote:
>Angst-sensei (doca...@MCS.COM) wrote:

>Err, Jeff, Michael House *IS* an employee of Gainax, talks daily with Anno
>and the other top people there, and his posting *was* the official
>announcment from Gainax, not a "third-party" post.
>

>I've corresponded with Michael to confirm this and basically, ADV
>has *no* rights to Evangelion and Gainax is upset that they are claiming
>that they do. With WoH and Nadia, someone else owned the distribution
>rights and Gainax was out of the loop when the overseas rights were sold.
>For Evangelion, from what I've gathered, Gainax has some or all of the
>say in who gets the overseas rights, so their surprise at ADV's announcment
>doesn't bode well.

Perhaps ADV announced a title that they are currently negotiating for in a
bold pre-emptive strike. And then we proceed to talk about the impending
downfall of AnimEigo for being so secretive.

I've heard talk about Gainax entering the U.S. market and releasing their
new titles themselves, since they haven't been too pleased at the quality
of some of the English translations of their works.

Star Quest immediately comes to mind...

It's interesting to see who owns the anime rights to a popular series.
For a TV show, the copyright always seems to read as follows:

(C) [author]/[publisher]/[TV network]/[animation company]

E.g. Sailor Moon's anime copyright reads as follows:

(C) Naoko Takeuchi/Kodansha/TV Asahi/Toei Animation
John Chennavasin
che...@haas.berkeley.edu
http://haas.berkeley.edu/~chennav

Angst-sensei

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In article <4g4rj0$h...@utdallas.edu>, <hair...@utdallas.edu> wrote:
>Angst-sensei (doca...@MCS.COM) wrote:

>> On the other hand, we have Gainax, who (through a third party) denies
>> all knowledge of said "enhancements", and makes not-so-veiled legal
>> murmurings.
>

>Err, Jeff, Michael House *IS* an employee of Gainax, talks daily with Anno
>and the other top people there, and his posting *was* the official
>announcment from Gainax, not a "third-party" post.

This I realize now. I assume the higher-ups at Gainax don't usually use
gol.com, then? My mistake, I hadn't realized the post was from Mr.
House originally.

>> So what's really going on?

>I've corresponded with Michael to confirm this and basically, ADV
>has *no* rights to Evangelion and Gainax is upset that they are claiming
>that they do. With WoH and Nadia, someone else owned the distribution
>rights and Gainax was out of the loop when the overseas rights were sold.
>For Evangelion, from what I've gathered, Gainax has some or all of the
>say in who gets the overseas rights, so their surprise at ADV's announcment
>doesn't bode well.

THAT'S interesting. According to another post from David Williams of
ADV, MOVIC is the licensor for Evangelion, and were the ones who told
ADV than reanimation would be done. (This message is new as of this
morning, so I guess we're waiting on another Gainax statement.)

Midori corner: MOVIC, who sounds as if they've been disseminating the
worst misinformation in this debacle.

>> Aoi corner: Gainax, returning giant of the anime industry, from whom we
>> wish we could see an official, direct statement.
>
>You already have it. Go back and reread Michael's post.

New questions, 2-17-96:

o Is GAINAX truly the sole distributor for Eva, or does MOVIC act as
partial mouthpiece?

o If the former, why is MOVIC claiming to sell the rights to Eva?

o If the latter, why doesn't one hand know what the other is doing?

o How long will it *really* be before Evangelion comes to the U.S.,
based on the controversy this has quickly become?

Sorry for the goof in the original post; I was aware Michael House
occasionally spoke for Gainax, but hadn't realized the "press release"
was being issued through him.

--Angst-sensei
(This is starting to remind me of OTAKU NO VIDEO.)

Michael Studte

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
doca...@MCS.COM (Angst-sensei) wrote:

>So what's the *real* story, kiddies?

>On the other hand, we have Gainax, who (through a third party) denies

>all knowledge of said "enhancements", and makes not-so-veiled legal
>murmurings.

The third party, Michael House, is working with Gainax nowadays (he
set up their web pages for one thing).

>Aka corner: AD Vision, who has in its time been accused of many a thing,
> but I don't think outright lying has ever been one of them.

First time for everything. See David Williams' post. He says that
MOVIC told them there would be enhancements. I get the feeling some
miscommunication happened here, and ADVision assumed more alterations
than were really promised.

>Aoi corner: Gainax, returning giant of the anime industry, from whom we
> wish we could see an official, direct statement.

Michael House's is about as direct as you can get. He's their english
language mouthpiece (so to speak, Michael is of course much more than
JUST that).

Angst-sensei

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
No word from either company since Saturday. Must have been "back to
the negotiating table".

--Angst-sensei
(When will Evangelion hit the U.S. as a commercial import? Probably at
the same time as an anime film enjoys a REAL simultaneous worldwide
release. -_-;)