WOH/Royal Space Force

Leon Barber

Aug 17, 1993, 10:17:04 AM8/17/93
Hey, whatever happened to the English dub of Wings Of Honneamise titled
Royal Space Force?
___
X OLX 2.1 X ... Inspire: To breathe; Expire: To NOT breathe

HORN, D K

Aug 21, 1993, 6:34:11 PM8/21/93
As far as I know, the only english dub of "The Wings Of Honneamise" ever done
was called "Star Quest," and as far as I know, it had only one public showing,
on February 19, 1987 at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. The dubbing was
considered a failure by both the audience and representatives of Bandai/Gainax
which were in attendance (this was especially distressing because this showing
was in fact the world premiere of the film--it was their intention to market
"Honneamise" in both countries and kick off the publicity campaign with an
opening at the world's most famous movie theater). The script editor of "Star
Quest," Budd Donnelly of Go East Productions (MY LITTLE PONY, et al.), for
reasons unknown, decided to change the character names, the personalities of
the characters, and certain elements of the plot. For example, in the original
film, Shiro, the protagonist, is a bored, depressed young man in the Royal
Space Force who gave up on his dreams a long time ago and then is revitalized
when he meets Leiqunni, a young, evangelical girl who is the first person he's
ever met outside the Force who thinks highly of their ideal of space travel.
This chance meeting starts Shiro down the long road to being the first man in
space, along the way encountering the complex moral mazes of the human
condition that he had previously tried to ignore or evade. By contrast, in
"Star Quest," "Randy," the protagonist, is an idealistic dreamer who is
excited by the prospect of space travel and its possible benefits for mankind,
who meets "Diane," a young, evangelical girl who thinks that "the heavens
belong to God, not man," and that the money would be better spent on housing
and education. This chance meeting serves to temper Shiro's enthusiasm to be
the first man in space, making him question the value of the goal in the
first place.

The changes--which in some cases, as above, amounted to turning the film
upside-down, combined with rather indifferent delivery by the English voice-
actors to make "Star Quest" a throughly embarrassing dub.

As far as I know, the title "The Royal Space Force" has been used on two
occasions--it was the title of the four-minute 1985 short film produced by
GAINAX in order to solicit funding for a full-length film (it was a sort
of outline of the full-length plot, using draft designs, but still looked
very professional, because GAINAX always did rule OK!--it's available as
part of the box set of the film (BEAL-367, list price 14,800 yen). The second
time it was used was as the subtitle of "The Wings Of Honneamise" itself--
it appears right after Shiro's opening monologue.

--Carl Horn

"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but, if faced with
courage, need not be lived again. Lift up your eyes upon this day breaking
for you. Give birth again to the dream...The horizon leans forward, offering
you space to place new steps of change."

--Maya Angelou
"On The Pulse Of Morning"

Christopher Leung

Aug 23, 1993, 1:12:19 PM8/23/93
In article <74580341...@gisatl.fidonet.org> Leon....@f611.n133.z1.fidonet.org (Leon Barber) writes:
>Hey, whatever happened to the English dub of Wings Of Honneamise titled
>Royal Space Force?

I don't think there was ever an English dub of Wings of Honneamise. There are
several fan subbed copies out there but I'm not sure who has them.

Christopher Leung Internet: max...@access.cs.uwindsor.ca
"Save your energy, save speed, and then save your life."
- Leon McNicol

David Van Cleef

Aug 23, 1993, 5:25:53 PM8/23/93

CL> In article <74580341...@gisatl.fidonet.org> Leon....@f611.n133.z1.fidonet.org (Leon Barber) writes:
>Hey, whatever happened to the English dub of Wings Of Honneamise titled
>Royal Space Force?

CL> I don't think there was ever an English dub of Wings of Honneamise. There are
CL> several fan subbed copies out there but I'm not sure who has them.

There was a commercial film dub of Honneamise no Tsubasa. I know
people who saw it when it made its US premeire in L.A. The film was
withdrawn from distribution due to dissatisfaction by one or another
of the parties involved with the quality of the translation or dub.
--
David A. Van Cleef AT&T Bell Laboratories
internet: d...@eagle.hr.att.com Red Hill Facility, Middletown, NJ

Hikaru Kudo

Aug 24, 1993, 9:37:02 AM8/24/93
In article <48...@newsserver.cs.uwindsor.ca> Christopher Leung,

max...@server.uwindsor.ca writes:
>In article <74580341...@gisatl.fidonet.org>
>Leon....@f611.n133.z1.fidonet.org (Leon Barber) writes:
>>Hey, whatever happened to the English dub of Wings Of Honneamise titled
>>Royal Space Force?
The script is avaliable at ftp site <ftp.tcp.com> the directory is
pub/anime/misc

Hikaru Kudo (Absalom)
s91...@mailserv.cuhk.hk

MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS
ORGUSS MEGAZONE I
MACROSS
MACROSS SHIZUKA KUDO
MACROSS
MACROSS 0083
FSS MACROSS
MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS MACROSS

Jeff Tatarek

Aug 25, 1993, 9:14:00 AM8/25/93
There was a very -bad- dub of WoH called "Star Quest". It was shown
only once, at Mann's Chinese Theater. Reaction from both viewers as
well as the Japanese was poor. Names were changed, delivery ws
lackluster, and even the basic polt was turned upside down.