Magical Knight Rayearth - US TV

70 views
Skip to first unread message

David Bennett

unread,
May 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/28/95
to
Just a quick query.

Last summer I heared rumors floating around about the three different
anime's that were coming to US television. One of them being Magical
Knight Rayearth. It is common place to see DBZ and SM being talked about
but I was wondering what is up with this show. Is it being syndictaed?
Is it being brought up? Who is doing...

Just a few questions. If anyone has the answers It would be appreciated as
always.

dave

**************************[ David Bennett ] ****
*Maison Ikkoku - Kyoko! [ aka : Sunlord ] ******
*Video Girl AI - Amano-ai [ mud : sunlord ] ******
**************************[ sun...@io.org ] ****


Ameratsu

unread,
May 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/28/95
to
It will be syndicated. It will be Saturday mornings. Only 13 of the 20
episodes are being done. I think it is being done by a Canadian company.
Yes, they changed the names (somewhat). Do not miss it for the world.
CLAMP!

-Erich
rec.arts.anime

Geoffrey Scott

unread,
May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
to
David Bennett (sun...@io.org) wrote:
: Just a quick query.

: Last summer I heared rumors floating around about the three different
: anime's that were coming to US television. One of them being Magical
: Knight Rayearth. It is common place to see DBZ and SM being talked about
: but I was wondering what is up with this show. Is it being syndictaed?
: Is it being brought up? Who is doing...

: Just a few questions. If anyone has the answers It would be appreciated as
: always.

: dave

From Mangazine (anime/manga publication from Ben Dunn's Antartic Press)
#38 (March 1995), Page 5, reprinted without premission, yatta yatta:

"Last issue, in the report on Magic Knight Rayearth, the latest project
by manga creator group CLAMP to be animated, we mentioned that TMS was
offering the show for American licensing. Well, the deal has been done,
with New York-based Summit Media handling the conversion of the show's 13
episodes for American viewing.

According to Summit Media head Shelley Hirsch, the series is set to debut
in syndication around the country this September 16. Exact details
beyond this are a little hazy, however, as preliminary response has been
'questionable' due to the show's artistic style, so obviously different
from almost any American cartoon, which has left prospective backers
uncertain for the most part. Summit is still currently researching
advertiser backing. More details will presumably be availible within the
next few months."

I hope this doesn't mean that this project is DOA. It probably does mean,
though, is that everybody that's not in a major market area might not get
to see this on the tube. I suspect it will probably the thriteen
episodes will probably air only once or twice in any case, so tape 'em on
the first broadcast.

Geo


Peter Evans

unread,
May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
to
Geoffrey Scott <g...@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com> wrote:
>From Mangazine (anime/manga publication from Ben Dunn's Antartic Press)
>#38 (March 1995), Page 5, reprinted without premission, yatta yatta:

>"Last issue, in the report on Magic Knight Rayearth, the latest project
>by manga creator group CLAMP to be animated, we mentioned that TMS was
>offering the show for American licensing. Well, the deal has been done,
>with New York-based Summit Media handling the conversion of the show's 13
>episodes for American viewing.

Part 1 has 20 episodes. If they stop at 13, it will not even
have a satifying conclusion. Rather like turning off the TV
half-way through The Magnificent Seven.


>According to Summit Media head Shelley Hirsch, the series is set to debut
>in syndication around the country this September 16. Exact details
>beyond this are a little hazy, however, as preliminary response has been
>'questionable' due to the show's artistic style, so obviously different
>from almost any American cartoon, which has left prospective backers
>uncertain for the most part. Summit is still currently researching
>advertiser backing. More details will presumably be availible within the
>next few months."

Heh. From Kodansya NY, I saw a list of all the characters and
stuff. Is it just me or can't americans spell?

Did you know that Rae's pet crows are Demos and Fobos?


>I hope this doesn't mean that this project is DOA. It probably does mean,
>though, is that everybody that's not in a major market area might not get

...

Not yet.

Peter
----*
--
Space Acapella(tm) - "In space, no one can hear you sing ..."
^_o | Gag ari! SF ari! Bijo ari! Onsen ari!
U \ Beh! | [half-male, half-email] "Ja'n ja'n pafu-pafu!"

Ameratsu

unread,
May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
to
I'm still baffled at why they are only doing 13 episodes! I'm sure they
aren't going to stop in the middle, they will probably delete some
"unneccesary" episodes (I don't think there are any personally) where no
major developments take place.

They better not change the opening song! People have died for less...
rec.arts.anime

davi...@imap1.asu.edu

unread,
Jun 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/3/95
to
Ameratsu (amer...@aol.com) wrote:
: I'm still baffled at why they are only doing 13 episodes! I'm sure they

: aren't going to stop in the middle, they will probably delete some
: "unneccesary" episodes (I don't think there are any personally) where no
: major developments take place.

You have hit upon a major reason as to why we don't see more anime on US
tv: Format incompatibility. Standard procedure for syndicated shows is
13 weeks of stuff, allowing for four airings a year. Japanese cartoons
don't follow this format and are hard to shoehorn into these ironclad
formats. That is why Macross had to be mated to Southern Cross and
Mospeada, and that _still_ didn't satisfy stations (went to 85
episodes). Also, serial continuity makes reruns difficult and annoys
casual viewers.

: They better not change the opening song! People have died for less...
: rec.arts.anime

Is it in Japanese? Then they'll have to. Sorry.

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe Actions speak louder than words.
Grenades speak louder than actions.
-Stryker, MKIII


Ken Arromdee

unread,
Jun 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/3/95
to
>Ameratsu (amer...@aol.com) wrote:
>: I'm still baffled at why they are only doing 13 episodes! I'm sure they
>: aren't going to stop in the middle, they will probably delete some
>: "unneccesary" episodes (I don't think there are any personally) where no
>: major developments take place.

Dragon Warrior did 13 episodes and _did_ stop in the middle....
--
Ken Arromdee (email: arro...@jyusenkyou.cs.jhu.edu)

Romana: "But he had such an honest face!"
Doctor: "Romana! You can't be a successful thief with a _dis_honest face!"

Steven E Barnes

unread,
Jun 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/3/95
to
In article <3qoktf$2...@news.asu.edu>, <davi...@imap1.asu.edu> wrote:

>Ameratsu (amer...@aol.com) wrote:
>You have hit upon a major reason as to why we don't see more anime on US
>tv: Format incompatibility. Standard procedure for syndicated shows is
>13 weeks of stuff, allowing for four airings a year. Japanese cartoons
>don't follow this format and are hard to shoehorn into these ironclad
>formats. That is why Macross had to be mated to Southern Cross and
>Mospeada, and that _still_ didn't satisfy stations (went to 85
>episodes). Also, serial continuity makes reruns difficult and annoys
>casual viewers.

The Robotech example doesn't explain why RE will only have 13 episodes.
The whole Robotech argument as I recall was that some large number was
needed (50+) in order to syndicate the show...

-steve


David Bennett

unread,
Jun 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/4/95
to
In article <3qah6s$q...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

Does anyone have idea who has picked it up? I am pushing or FOX to pick it
up... (if I recall they are still considered a "small station" and can
do the syndication thing..? Other than that I am hoping people in Canada
will get a chance to see it. (Along with this, DB and SM things should be fun)

dave (the guy who attended the premiere of the ICE AGE expansion set
for magic. In this tournament on June 2nd he met Kato (Yes, Kato/OJ),
Adam West and Richard Garfield.)

Martins Sylvio

unread,
Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
to
I'm still wondered how an american network got this anime, still wondering,....


if anyone has a precise,.... HOW???? I would really be greatful, because I saw it a while ago, and it is very good, but the style is very strange compare to the american style (CLAMP style)....


JA NE
y


Richard Llewellyn

unread,
Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
to
In article <akumaD9...@netcom.com>

ak...@netcom.com (Steven E Barnes) writes:

>
>In article <3qoktf$2...@news.asu.edu>, <davi...@imap1.asu.edu> wrote:
>>Ameratsu (amer...@aol.com) wrote:
>>You have hit upon a major reason as to why we don't see more anime on US
>>tv: Format incompatibility. Standard procedure for syndicated shows is
>>13 weeks of stuff, allowing for four airings a year. Japanese cartoons
>>don't follow this format and are hard to shoehorn into these ironclad
>>formats. That is why Macross had to be mated to Southern Cross and
>>Mospeada, and that _still_ didn't satisfy stations (went to 85
>>episodes). Also, serial continuity makes reruns difficult and annoys
>>casual viewers.

Let's hope Exosquad, Battletech, and some of the other, newer U.S.
series have broken the continuity barrier.


>
>The Robotech example doesn't explain why RE will only have 13 episodes.
>The whole Robotech argument as I recall was that some large number was
>needed (50+) in order to syndicate the show...

The magic numbers are 13 (for a weekly series, rerun four times in the
year), 26 (weekly, 2 reruns), and 65 (daily (5 times in the week), 4
reruns). Harmony Gold had to get at least 65 episodes to make up the
daily series they wanted. When Rayearth was first picked up it there
was only the original Japanese commitment for 20 episodes. Apparently
its too late to add more episodes for the coming U.S. television season.

>
>-steve
>

Yours in anime,
Richard Llewellyn BLUE SEED * MOTHER, SAIGO
Science Library, University of Georgia NO SHOJO EVE * MIDNIGHT
Internet: rl...@uga.cc.uga.edu EYE GOKU * MAGIC KNIGHT
Telephone: (706) 542-6642 RAYEARTH * TONDE BOORIN *
FAX: (706) 542-7907 GREEN LEGEND RAN * ELLCIA *

Dave Van Cleef

unread,
Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
to
In article <3qjbg6$6...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

Ameratsu <amer...@aol.com> wrote:
>I'm still baffled at why they are only doing 13 episodes! I'm sure they
>aren't going to stop in the middle, they will probably delete some
>"unneccesary" episodes (I don't think there are any personally) where no
>major developments take place.
>
The 13th episode is a logical place in the storyline in order to make
a break, so I'd wait and see.
--
David A. Van Cleef AT&T Bell Laboratories
internet: d...@belldandy.hr.att.com 101 Crawfords Corner Rd, 2c-333, Holmdel NJ
+1 908 949-8966

Enrique Conty

unread,
Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
to
In article <akumaD9...@netcom.com> ak...@netcom.com (Steven E Barnes) writes:
>
>The Robotech example doesn't explain why RE will only have 13 episodes.
>The whole Robotech argument as I recall was that some large number was
>needed (50+) in order to syndicate the show...

65+. Now, they could have tried to cut up Macross and show only 13 episodes
of its 36 episode run, but they decided to go the other way.

With Rayearth, they don't care if the story is cut in the middle.
If the series sells, they'll release the rest of the story.
If it doesn't, oh well. Yeah, it sucks.
--
Enrique Conty
co...@cig.mot.com

Enrique Conty

unread,
Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
to
In article <173B473...@uga.cc.uga.edu> RL...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU (Richard Llewellyn) writes:
>In article <akumaD9...@netcom.com>
>ak...@netcom.com (Steven E Barnes) writes:
>>In article <3qoktf$2...@news.asu.edu>, <davi...@imap1.asu.edu> wrote:
>>>Ameratsu (amer...@aol.com) wrote:
>>>Standard procedure for syndicated shows is 13 weeks of stuff
>
>Let's hope Exosquad, Battletech, and some of the other, newer U.S.
>series have broken the continuity barrier.

Exo-squad was 13 episodes in the first season, and 52 in the second (packaged
with another show on Fridays to make it 65).

I'd look at shows like Phantom 2040 (26 half-hour episodes).
--
Enrique Conty
co...@cig.mot.com

Geoffrey Scott

unread,
Jun 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/7/95
to
David Bennett (sun...@io.org) wrote:
: In article <3qah6s$q...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

: amer...@aol.com (Ameratsu) wrote:
: > It will be syndicated. It will be Saturday mornings. Only 13 of the 20
: > episodes are being done. I think it is being done by a Canadian company.
: > Yes, they changed the names (somewhat). Do not miss it for the world.
: > CLAMP!

: Does anyone have idea who has picked it up? I am pushing or FOX to pick it
: up... (if I recall they are still considered a "small station" and can
: do the syndication thing..? Other than that I am hoping people in Canada
: will get a chance to see it. (Along with this, DB and SM things should be fun)

Syndicated means ANY station in a particular town can get the rights.
NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox affilates air syndicated stuff all the time. (For
example, weekday afternoons are often syndicated talk shows (except on
Fox), and all the crap shows on Saturday afternoons and all of Sunday day
are pretty much syndicated.) What it does mean is that the network it
airs on won't be consistant. It might air on the ABC station in Chicago,
the Fox station in New York, the UPN station in LA, and an independent
station in Seattle.

Geo


Geoffrey Scott

unread,
Jun 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/7/95
to
Enrique Conty (co...@rtsg.mot.com) wrote:
: In article <akumaD9...@netcom.com> ak...@netcom.com (Steven E Barnes) writes:
: >
: >The Robotech example doesn't explain why RE will only have 13 episodes.

: >The whole Robotech argument as I recall was that some large number was
: >needed (50+) in order to syndicate the show...

: 65+. Now, they could have tried to cut up Macross and show only 13 episodes
: of its 36 episode run, but they decided to go the other way.

: With Rayearth, they don't care if the story is cut in the middle.
: If the series sells, they'll release the rest of the story.
: If it doesn't, oh well. Yeah, it sucks.

It does explain it. To air a synicated cartoon, you need either 13
episodes (if it's a weekend once a week series), or 65 episodes (if it
airs five days a week (13*5=65)). There are two seasons a year, so,
barring specials, sports, the OJ Simpson trail, and other interuptions
from regular programming, half the episodes per year will be new, the
other half, re-runs. You make A LOT more money if you can air it five
days a week as opposed to only once (probably five times more). Also,
with the greater exposure, the toy lines, video games, etc., have a
greater chance of success. So, Harmony Gold decided they wanted to go
for the gold (so to speak), and do the 65 episode thing with Robotech (and
went a little overboard). As for Rayearth, it's chance of succeeding is
mininmal, and many stations won't promise beyond 13 episodes on an
untested show. If it's a hit, they'll bring the rest over, of course.

Geo


Junichi Kurokawa

unread,
Jun 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/7/95
to
>>>>> "d" == davidcro <davi...@imap1.asu.edu> writes:

d> You have hit upon a major reason as to why we don't see more
d> anime on US tv: Format incompatibility. Standard procedure for
d> syndicated shows is 13 weeks of stuff, allowing for four airings
d> a year. Japanese cartoons don't follow this format and are hard
d> to shoehorn into these ironclad formats.

You're wrong. That's what we do, not just Animes.

--
Junichi Kurokawa
Enterprise Networking Development Division
Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd.

Geoffrey Scott

unread,
Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
to
Enrique Conty (co...@rtsg.mot.com) wrote:

: In article <173B473...@uga.cc.uga.edu> RL...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU (Richard Llewellyn) writes:
: >In article <akumaD9...@netcom.com>
: >ak...@netcom.com (Steven E Barnes) writes:
: >>In article <3qoktf$2...@news.asu.edu>, <davi...@imap1.asu.edu> wrote:
: >>>Ameratsu (amer...@aol.com) wrote:
: >>>Standard procedure for syndicated shows is 13 weeks of stuff

: >
: >Let's hope Exosquad, Battletech, and some of the other, newer U.S.
: >series have broken the continuity barrier.

: Exo-squad was 13 episodes in the first season, and 52 in the second (packaged
: with another show on Fridays to make it 65).

: I'd look at shows like Phantom 2040 (26 half-hour episodes).

That's two seasons worth. In any case, in my area, Exo-squad ran five
days a week, with 52 new episodes, and the first 13 included as well, to
total 65.

Geo


Gundamboy

unread,
Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
to
Dn't forget Samurai Troopers!
"So you'd try to use lightning on me in battle?! You've got some
guts!!!...Prepare to DIE!!!... Supreeeme Thunder!!!!"
Minako, Sailor Jupiter

Enrique Conty

unread,
Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
to
In article <3r8vnd$q...@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com> g...@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com (Geoffrey Scott) writes:

>Enrique Conty (co...@rtsg.mot.com) wrote:
>
>: Exo-squad was 13 episodes in the first season, and 52 in the second (packaged
>: with another show on Fridays to make it 65).

Gad, that was badly phrased.

13 episodes on the first season
39 new episodes on the second season
52 episodes *TOTAL*.

>: I'd look at shows like Phantom 2040 (26 half-hour episodes).
>
>That's two seasons worth.

No, Phantom 2040 first aired in 1994.
--
Enrique Conty
co...@cig.mot.com

Nanmo II

unread,
Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
to
My question is, when will the Game Gear game show up in the States. The
only reason I'm giving up on getting it in the near future is noone
IMPORTS the games directly from Japan for the portable systems. (Someone I
know from AWOL who runs a game shop said something about the portable
market being flatter than a shredded tire...)

+-----------------------------------------+
| Nanmo II Denver Anime International |
| |
| "If you strike me down, I will become |
| more powerful than you could possibly |
| imagine..." |
| |
+-----------------------------------------+

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages