[NEWS] DBZ in the U.S.! No Joke!!

Matthew Sommer

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96

Hey everybody-- i have some news re: the status of Dragon Ball in the US.

My friend at Capital City just got in two promo videos from funimation
today... one of which was the dubbed version of the first Dragon Ball
movie that ran last year called "Curse of the Blood Rubies". The second
is... well, hold on to your hats.

the first Dragon Ball Z movie! @_@

Yes, it's true. All members of the DBZLF are now excused to go stock up
on rocket propelled grenades and C4 ^_^...

From what i've been told, funimation is disappointed with original Dragon
Ball, so they have plans to skip about 150 episodes and head right into
the first episodes of DBZ... of course... the reason DB didnt succeed is
because it didnt have enough FIGHTS! yeah right.. and the fact that it
got no promotion whatsoever had nothing to do with it, right guys?? I
hear that they are planning to include DBZ into a syndicated "Saban
Block" <<ala "disney afternoon">>, probably with other lame-o shows like
masked rider and their upcoming beetleborg show. I have a copy of their
promo brochure <<the video company>> coming on friday, so i'll let you
know it it contains anything new.

*sigh* why are they doing this? I dont mind seeimg DBZ, but it's the
fact that they skipped so so much... how can the story still make sense?
i can only imagine a terribly boring overdub narration explaining who all
the 37 new characters are and how they are related. It's like opening up
war & peace 300 pages in and starting to read from there. Yay. onto the
mindless fighting! ugh.

the videos are supposed to ship in august, btw.

the only bright spot i can see is that we might get another PVC set and
action figures for the DBZ fighters... that would be pretty choice. I
especially thnk the bandai PVC set for the original series was really
nice... Oh, speaking of tie ins... i was wondering how they were going to
do this, but i guess it makes sense now-- BanDai is also supposedly going
to release the 2 fighting DBZ games for the Playstation and the Saturn
sometime this fall....

ja na

-matt-

I'm already having nightmares imagining they are going to end up hiring
the guy whe played Duke on GI Joe to be adult goku or something... [deep
burly voice] COME GOHAN, WE MUST FIGHT! YO JOE... I MEAN LETS GO Z!

Andrew Hall

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
ma...@earth.execpc.com (Matthew Sommer) wrote:

>Hey everybody-- i have some news re: the status of Dragon Ball in the US.
>
>My friend at Capital City just got in two promo videos from funimation
>today... one of which was the dubbed version of the first Dragon Ball
>movie that ran last year called "Curse of the Blood Rubies". The second
>is... well, hold on to your hats.
>
>the first Dragon Ball Z movie! @_@
>
>Yes, it's true. All members of the DBZLF are now excused to go stock up
>on rocket propelled grenades and C4 ^_^...

A lot of non-Dragonball Z fans are going to be scratching their heads
wondering who this Garlic Jr. is, and what the hell is going on.

>From what i've been told, funimation is disappointed with original Dragon
>Ball, so they have plans to skip about 150 episodes and head right into
>the first episodes of DBZ... of course... the reason DB didnt succeed is
>because it didnt have enough FIGHTS! yeah right.. and the fact that it
>got no promotion whatsoever had nothing to do with it, right guys?? I
>hear that they are planning to include DBZ into a syndicated "Saban
>Block" <<ala "disney afternoon">>, probably with other lame-o shows like
>masked rider and their upcoming beetleborg show. I have a copy of their
>promo brochure <<the video company>> coming on friday, so i'll let you
>know it it contains anything new.
>
>*sigh* why are they doing this? I dont mind seeimg DBZ, but it's the
>fact that they skipped so so much... how can the story still make sense?
>i can only imagine a terribly boring overdub narration explaining who all
>the 37 new characters are and how they are related. It's like opening up
>war & peace 300 pages in and starting to read from there. Yay. onto the
>mindless fighting! ugh.

"This is Piccolo, he hates Goku, because Goku once beat him in a fighting
match, and a bunch of other things you'll never see." :-P

>the videos are supposed to ship in august, btw.

Yeah, just like they were SUPPOSED to ship this month, wasn't it?

>the only bright spot i can see is that we might get another PVC set and
>action figures for the DBZ fighters... that would be pretty choice. I
>especially thnk the bandai PVC set for the original series was really
>nice... Oh, speaking of tie ins... i was wondering how they were going to
>do this, but i guess it makes sense now-- BanDai is also supposedly going
>to release the 2 fighting DBZ games for the Playstation and the Saturn
>sometime this fall....
>
>ja na

American Dragonball-DBZ Games. Cool beans!

>-matt-
>
>I'm already having nightmares imagining they are going to end up hiring
>the guy whe played Duke on GI Joe to be adult goku or something... [deep
>burly voice] COME GOHAN, WE MUST FIGHT! YO JOE... I MEAN LETS GO Z!
>
>--

Well I doubt they could do any worse with Go Han's english voice than
they did with the original. I wanted to kill the whiney little bastard
after 5 minutes of his crying. Thankfully by episode 10 he finally
stopped being a crybaby. :)

NKJem

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
>>Hey everybody-- i have some news re: the status of Dragon Ball in the
US.

My friend at Capital City just got in two promo videos from funimation
today... one of which was the dubbed version of the first Dragon Ball
movie that ran last year called "Curse of the Blood Rubies". The second
is... well, hold on to your hats.

the first Dragon Ball Z movie! @_@<<

(*Nora checks date of post again to make sure it's not still April Fool's
Day) =)

>>Yes, it's true. All members of the DBZLF are now excused to go stock up

on rocket propelled grenades and C4 ^_^...<<

Wait. *choke, cough* They're not . . . d-d-d-*dubbing,* are they?
N-noooooooooooooooooooooo . . . as much as I'm desperate to know what's
going on in my Japanese-only TV episodes, I'd rather watch them in a
foreign languange than hear what Funimation's going to do to it . . . as
badly as they mutilated Gokuu's voice in DB, I'm terrified of what they'll
do to his adult voice (*Nora flinches, hearing something like He-Man's
voice in her nightmares*). And Trunks! WAAAAAAAAH! They mustn't--they
*daren't* touch his voice . . .

Okay. (Takes deep breath). I'm calm now. I will wait to see before I
judge. I will wait to see before I judge. I will . . . (continue mantra
80 times).

>>From what i've been told, funimation is disappointed with original
Dragon
Ball, so they have plans to skip about 150 episodes and head right into
the first episodes of DBZ... of course... the reason DB didnt succeed is
because it didnt have enough FIGHTS! yeah right.. and the fact that it
got no promotion whatsoever had nothing to do with it, right guys?? I
hear that they are planning to include DBZ into a syndicated "Saban
Block" <<ala "disney afternoon">>, probably with other lame-o shows like
masked rider and their upcoming beetleborg show. I have a copy of their
promo brochure <<the video company>> coming on friday, so i'll let you
know it it contains anything new.<<

*cough, choke, hack, WHEEZE* No. Not Saban. Not DBZ, with Saban . . .
(Nora feels faint). Will . . . wait . . . to . . . see . . .

>>*sigh* why are they doing this? I dont mind seeimg DBZ, but it's the
fact that they skipped so so much... how can the story still make sense?
i can only imagine a terribly boring overdub narration explaining who all
the 37 new characters are and how they are related. It's like opening up
war & peace 300 pages in and starting to read from there. Yay. onto the
mindless fighting! ugh.<<

Hey, I happen to like the fighting, and it's not mindless (not to open an
entirely different debate) . . . but you have an excellent point. How
will the viewers grow to know and love Tenshinhan and Chaouzu? How will
they explain that Gokuu's got a kid of his own (and how will they explain
that his wife basically had a contract out on him until they got married)?
AND WHAT ABOUT PICCOLO??!! Are they just going to start off with him
being on the good guys' side? Will we lose *all* of the characterization
of Piccolo Daimaou that made Piccolo Jr. such a surprise? Etc., etc. . ..

>>the videos are supposed to ship in august, btw.<<

*sigh* I will wait to see before I judge. Just keep telling yourself
that, Nora . . .

Just out of curiosity, why are they starting with the movies? Are they
not going to attempt to put DBZ on TV? (but wait, forgot, DB did horribly
in most markets. Of course, putting it on at the crack of dawn, with no
advertising, and marketing it to kids when its major constituency is
probably at least teen-level, didn't help . . .) Still, few stations would
pick up DBZ without substantial editing, anyway. I'd really rather they
not put it on TV. Although I'd love to see, say, MTV put it on subtitled;
it would reach the perfect audience then. Make it part of the Aeon Flux
hour instead of the Saban Hour, or something. Anything.

Well, I have to admit, I'm not entirely upset; I'm glad it's coming over
in *some* format. If enough people like it, maybe they'll get around to
the TV episodes (preferably subbing), and I'll *finally* know what's going
on in the dialogue sequences. So there *is* a positive aspect to this . .
. but . . . BTW, how does one join the DBZLF? ;) Just in case . . .

I will wait to see before I judge. =)

NKJem

Gautama Buddha

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
In article <4k04eb$c...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, NKJem <nk...@aol.com> wrote:
>BTW, how does one join the DBZLF? ;) Just in case . . .

You make yourself a member. I'll bounce you the introductory text, with
information on who we are and what we do. It's a little ... different ...
from what you may be expecting. ^_^

>I will wait to see before I judge. =)

They will PAY. Have no fear ... THEY will *PAY*.

I've been preparing a little something for just this occasion. A five-mile
vaporization radius ought to serve as a suitable warning.

--
| DBZLF/DRA: Dragonball Z Liberation Front/Dubbing Resistance Army /-/\-\
| Reality plays no significant role in this mess. /-/--\-\
| Please, somebody, I'm begging you -- help me get off this /-/----\-\
| fucking rock! I'll do anything! -`- -'-

Dr. Briefs

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
Matthew Sommer wrote:
>Hey everybody-- i have some news re: the status of Dragon Ball in the US.

>My friend at Capital City just got in two promo videos from funimation
>today... one of which was the dubbed version of the first Dragon Ball
>movie that ran last year called "Curse of the Blood Rubies". The second
>is... well, hold on to your hats.

>the first Dragon Ball Z movie! @_@

>Yes, it's true. All members of the DBZLF are now excused to go stock up

>on rocket propelled grenades and C4 ^_^...

[more info snipped]

O-Kaiou-sama help us.. I can just see the onflood of the people new to
DBZ asking simple "who's this guy" questions for every single character
in DBZ... and that's if this dubbed DBZ can actually make non-anime fen
like DB/DBZ!

--
Glenn Wang <br...@ix.netcom.com>, #SAS# member--Real men appreciate Sasami.
Capsule Corporation, home of Dr. Briefs - http://www.netcom.com/~brief

WuKeN

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
In article <4jvb8u$j...@earth.alpha.net>, ma...@earth.execpc.com (Matthew
Sommer) wrote:

> Hey everybody-- i have some news re: the status of Dragon Ball in the US.

Oh no. This doesn't sound good at all. *WuKeN prepares to hear the worst*

> My friend at Capital City just got in two promo videos from funimation
> today... one of which was the dubbed version of the first Dragon Ball
> movie that ran last year called "Curse of the Blood Rubies". The second
> is... well, hold on to your hats.
>
> the first Dragon Ball Z movie! @_@

*turns a deathly white and his mouth drops open* The *first* Dragon Ball Z
Movie!? *WuKeN groans and sighs at the aspect of having his favorite
Dragon Ball Z movie out of the series horribly mutilated... well, at least
he still has a SHVS fansub copy... but still, it's not the same...* Who's
going to have any idea who Piccolo is? How about his relationship to
Kami-Sama? How about Son Gohan? Klilyn?

> Yes, it's true. All members of the DBZLF are now excused to go stock up
> on rocket propelled grenades and C4 ^_^...

Hold on a minute. If the members of the Dragon Ball Z Liberation Front are
excused to go stock up on explosives... give me a minute here to think and
follow the logic in this statement... then that means... Eck! They're
going to dub Dragon Ball Z!? *WuKeN nearly faints out of shock but manages
to stay conscious to type the rest of this post*

> From what i've been told, funimation is disappointed with original Dragon
> Ball, so they have plans to skip about 150 episodes and head right into
> the first episodes of DBZ... of course...

Absolutely absurd! Why would they do that!? Augh! *punches the wall* Like
what you said, it's exactly like starting War and Peace 300 pages in; it
won't work well at all! Who's going to have any idea besides the Dragon
Ball otakus what the heck is going on when this series debuts? How are
they going to explain the rivalry between Son Gokou and Piccolo? How are
they going to explain Tenshinhan and Chaoz? Or how are they going to
explain the fact that Son Gokou and ChiChi are married... and have a
son... if they don't know what happened in Dragon Ball!? The entire
Android storyline won't make any sense because they don't know about the
Red Ribbon Army! Argh... *shaking his head* It's not going to work at all.
Unless... no, tell me they won't change the history of the characters and
the storyline... no, anything but that... *sigh* Worst of all, for me,
they are starting on the beginning of Dragon Ball Z. It took me years to
find a place to get fansubbed copies to the first ten episodes and if
Funimation is going release this then I am going to have to say "sayonara"
to those fansubs and any further ones I could have come across in the
future... *sigh*

> the reason DB didnt succeed is
> because it didnt have enough FIGHTS! yeah right.. and the fact that it
> got no promotion whatsoever had nothing to do with it, right guys??

Not to mention the ludicrous times it was being aired. It was first aired
here in Los Angeles at 11:30 am on Saturdays, and then was quietly moved
to 6:00 am Saturdays to a different channel -- and they didn't mention
anything about station changes!? What? And they wonder why Dragon Ball
didn't succeed...

> I hear that they are planning to include DBZ into a syndicated "Saban
> Block" <<ala "disney afternoon">>, probably with other lame-o shows like
> masked rider and their upcoming beetleborg show. I have a copy of their
> promo brochure <<the video company>> coming on friday, so i'll let you
> know it it contains anything new.

Saban!? Argh... *punches the wall again* Does this post have any *good* news?

> *sigh* why are they doing this? I dont mind seeimg DBZ, but it's the
> fact that they skipped so so much... how can the story still make sense?
> i can only imagine a terribly boring overdub narration explaining who all
> the 37 new characters are and how they are related. It's like opening up
> war & peace 300 pages in and starting to read from there. Yay. onto the
> mindless fighting! ugh.

Mindless fighting? The fighting was long and drawn out, but it *was* there
for a purpose, if even simply to advance the story a *little* further.

> the videos are supposed to ship in august, btw.

August? That gives me less than four months. I'd better hurry and snatch
up as many fansubs as I possibly can. :D

> the only bright spot i can see is that we might get another PVC set and
> action figures for the DBZ fighters... that would be pretty choice.

In my opinion, perhaps not. The original figures made in Japan are of
top-notch quality, probably as good as the original McFarlane line of
Spawn toys (which are of excellent quality). Good craftsmanship and good
reproduction of the looks of the characters (especially Future Trunks and
Broly). The characters are very finely crafted (if you don't have a cheap
bootleg reproduction) for action figures, in my opinion. I prefer those
figures to anything I've currently seen of action figures of the Dragon
Ball cast over here. I'm not sure if *I* would consider the American made
Dragon Ball Z action figures a bright spot, but I would have to see the
final product of those characters on the toy shelves to make a final
decision. *WuKeN imagines those excellent Japanese-made figures
disappearing or rising ridiculously in cost as cheaply-made swivel-action
and gun-toting Z-warrior figures are released* By the way, what's a PVC
set?

> I'm already having nightmares imagining they are going to end up hiring
> the guy whe played Duke on GI Joe to be adult goku or something... [deep
> burly voice] COME GOHAN, WE MUST FIGHT! YO JOE... I MEAN LETS GO Z!

Actually, I have seen *English-dubbed* versions of Dragon Ball Z. No joke.
When I went back for my balikbayan trip to the Philippines they were
airing Dragon Ball Z television episodes (I saw the ones right after
Raditz was defeated) on a local channel. And you know what? I was somewhat
pleased with what I saw. Sure, there was a heavy Tagalog accent when they
spoke and Piccolo's voice sounded scratchy, but Son Gokou's voice (who
sounded somewhat childish and high-pitched, though nowhere near as
childish as the original Japanese voice), in my opinion, was better than
the voice-over we had over here in America. I personally cannot stand dubs
but this one was actually decent and watchable. And I hear this was an
amateur operation as well. Imagine that. I'm very afraid of what they are
going to do to the voices here in America if the plans for Dragon Ball Z
fall through. The seiyuu voice actors in Japan are perfect for the
characters. Son Gokou sounds like a child even when aged, and this fits
his personality because he still is a child at heart. Freezer's voice (oh
no, I can't imagine what they are going to do with his...) was eloquent
and snobbish. His voice was *perfect*. I think it's going to be nigh
impossible to find someone else that can have the level of closeness to
the character that the voice actor of Freezer created. I'm dreading the
cutting of the fantastic opening song "Cha-La Head Cha-La" and the bouncy
ending song "Zenkai Power"... and having them replaced with something akin
to what we got with Dragon Ball. Eck. "Dragon Ball... gotta find that
Dragon Ball..." Yuck! Was that the original title song in Japan? I hope
not. In the Philippine versions I saw they actually *kept* those songs.
Thank Kami-Sama for that. I hope they do the same here, if they are going
to plan to release Dragon Ball Z on television. Perhaps we might see
professionally subtitled versions of it here someday. I'd much rather have
it released on video, in dubbed and subbed formats (guess which one I'll
buy...). That's the only good thing I can possibly see out of all of this.

Okay, okay. Where's the sign-up sheet for the DBZLF? I'll consider. :D

WuKeN
mailto:sabe...@ucla.edu
http://www.dragonfire.net/~Wuken/
WuKeN's HoMePaGe AnD DrAgOn BaLl Z ImAgE GaLlErY!

tim neems

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[...]

Funimation is going to have to do several episodes of naration to sum up
all of DB or else many people will be confused.

I can see the first episode after all the naration. It starts out with
Gohan running from the whatever was chasing him in the first episode and
ends with Freeza's death. they should be able to do this if they take
about 20 seconds from each episode. Or if we get lucky they will leave
enough footage for 5 or 6 episodes in the Saiya-jin - Freeza story line

[...]

These are the only good things that could come of this whole situation.
Or on the bad side, the show could totaly bomb and we would never see DBZ
again. Shit now two fo my favorite series(Maison Ikkoku and DBZ) have the
same fate.

: ja na

: -matt-

: I'm already having nightmares imagining they are going to end up hiring

: the guy whe played Duke on GI Joe to be adult goku or something... [deep
: burly voice] COME GOHAN, WE MUST FIGHT! YO JOE... I MEAN LETS GO Z!

I can think of a lot worse voices for Goku.

Please let this whoue thing be a late April fools joke

Mata Ne

Tim
--

*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*

____________ _______________ ________________
| \ | \ | |
| \ | _____ \ | |
| _____ \ | | \ | |_______ |
| | \ \ | | | | / /
| | \ | | | | | / /
| | / | | | | | / /
| |_____/ / | | | | / /________
| / | |_____/ | | |
| / | / | |
|____________/ |_______________/ |_________________|

ran...@netcom.com

*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*DBZ*

Matthew Sommer

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
che...@haas.berkeley.edu (John Chennavasin) writes:

>In article <sabesami-040...@msa-4328-mac-10.oac-commons.ucla.edu>,
>WuKeN <sabe...@ucla.edu> wrote:

>>Absolutely absurd! Why would they do that!? Augh! *punches the wall* Like
>>what you said, it's exactly like starting War and Peace 300 pages in; it
>>won't work well at all! Who's going to have any idea besides the Dragon
>>Ball otakus what the heck is going on when this series debuts? How are

>If it's a daily series, perhaps Funimation can produced "condensed"
>episodes, similar to "Hakkenden Digest," the first Yamato movies, and the
>Touch movies, for the first three days.

i dont know.. i'd sure like a DB series.. and i think you are right in
saying that a show like this NEEDS to be daily in order to gain a good
fan following... I think having a condensed version of the missing eps
would probably be even MORE confusing than not explaining it... I see it
as them just starting right off, and having a lot of heavy exposition
that simply gives everyone's names.

>Given the nature of DB (and DBZ), it would work better as a DAILY series,
>not a weekly series. I wonder if DB is a weekly or daily series over in
>Spain, since it was highly popular over there.

its your lucky day! :) I was in spain when the Cell saga was airing, and
it did INDEED come on daily. DB was HUMONGOUSLY popular in spain,
especially the manga... they published the entire series, in 30 page
installments that came out WEEKLY! The TV show came on in short bursts
as it were, they'd dub a bunch, then air thoses, then it would go off the
air untill the next batch of episodes would be ready. I think there was
some parentla backlash re: the violence though... btw, the weekly DB
comic in spain outsold EVERYTHING by a wide wide margin...

>>Not to mention the ludicrous times it was being aired. It was first aired
>>here in Los Angeles at 11:30 am on Saturdays, and then was quietly moved
>>to 6:00 am Saturdays to a different channel -- and they didn't mention
>>anything about station changes!? What? And they wonder why Dragon Ball
>>didn't succeed...

>It's on mondays at 8:30 in the San Francisco area.

mondays?! weird. It comes on here at 8:30am on saturday, which is a fine
time for a saturday show, imho. The cardinal mistake funimation made was
devoting ZERO money on advertising the show. I dont think i ever saw one
single commercial for it anywhere! it's like they expected it to be an
instant hit, like it had ben ion europe and asia, without doing anything
to promote it... well, just goes to show that americans NEED to be told
whats good.

>>August? That gives me less than four months. I'd better hurry and snatch
>>up as many fansubs as I possibly can. :D

>I had the misfortune of watching a Thai dub of Dragon Ball Z. The casting
>is miserable, considering only six actors were hired for the dub. Goku has
>a deep male voice, and I had a hard time identifying Bulma and Chi Chi
>based on their voices alone. The worst part of it is the music and effects
>would stop abruptly whenever somebody spoke. In some cases, you even get
>to hear the original Japanese voice actor speak for a short moment. At
>least they kept the BGM (when possible) and the orignal OP and ED themes.

well, the spanish dub was rather good, imho... goku was a little more
masculine in the voice, but most everyone else was sort of close to the
originals... the BGM was the same, but they re-did the OP and ED songs...
they kept the music, but just changed the lyrics into spanish. Hence we
got a spanish "cha-la head cha-la", which i thought was actually MORE
rockin'g than the original <<they sped up the tempo a bit and the
musicians gave it a harder edge>>

anyway, i will get to see the english dub of the first DBZ movie
tomorrow, so you guys can expect a full report when i get a chance.

-matt-

John Chennavasin

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96

>Absolutely absurd! Why would they do that!? Augh! *punches the wall* Like
>what you said, it's exactly like starting War and Peace 300 pages in; it
>won't work well at all! Who's going to have any idea besides the Dragon
>Ball otakus what the heck is going on when this series debuts? How are
>they going to explain the rivalry between Son Gokou and Piccolo? How are
>they going to explain Tenshinhan and Chaoz? Or how are they going to
>explain the fact that Son Gokou and ChiChi are married... and have a
>son... if they don't know what happened in Dragon Ball!? The entire
>Android storyline won't make any sense because they don't know about the
>Red Ribbon Army! Argh... *shaking his head* It's not going to work at all.
>Unless... no, tell me they won't change the history of the characters and
>the storyline... no, anything but that... *sigh* Worst of all, for me,
>they are starting on the beginning of Dragon Ball Z. It took me years to
>find a place to get fansubbed copies to the first ten episodes and if
>Funimation is going release this then I am going to have to say "sayonara"
>to those fansubs and any further ones I could have come across in the
>future... *sigh*

If it's a daily series, perhaps Funimation can produced "condensed"

episodes, similar to "Hakkenden Digest," the first Yamato movies, and the
Touch movies, for the first three days.

Given the nature of DB (and DBZ), it would work better as a DAILY series,

not a weekly series. I wonder if DB is a weekly or daily series over in
Spain, since it was highly popular over there.

>Not to mention the ludicrous times it was being aired. It was first aired

>here in Los Angeles at 11:30 am on Saturdays, and then was quietly moved
>to 6:00 am Saturdays to a different channel -- and they didn't mention
>anything about station changes!? What? And they wonder why Dragon Ball
>didn't succeed...

It's on mondays at 8:30 in the San Francisco area.

>August? That gives me less than four months. I'd better hurry and snatch

>up as many fansubs as I possibly can. :D

I had the misfortune of watching a Thai dub of Dragon Ball Z. The casting

is miserable, considering only six actors were hired for the dub. Goku has
a deep male voice, and I had a hard time identifying Bulma and Chi Chi
based on their voices alone. The worst part of it is the music and effects
would stop abruptly whenever somebody spoke. In some cases, you even get
to hear the original Japanese voice actor speak for a short moment. At
least they kept the BGM (when possible) and the orignal OP and ED themes.

John Chennavasin
che...@haas.berkeley.edu
http://haas.berkeley.edu/~chennav/

scam...@netcom.com

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
Matthew Sommer (ma...@earth.execpc.com) wrote:

: >It's on mondays at 8:30 in the San Francisco area.

: mondays?! weird. It comes on here at 8:30am on saturday, which is a fine

: time for a saturday show, imho. The cardinal mistake funimation made was
: devoting ZERO money on advertising the show. I dont think i ever saw one
: single commercial for it anywhere! it's like they expected it to be an
: instant hit, like it had ben ion europe and asia, without doing anything
: to promote it... well, just goes to show that americans NEED to be told
: whats good.

Here in the Boston area it airs at 7:00 Sunday Mornings.

Through it's whole 13 episode run (I think there working on the third
airng at the moment) There were only four adverts for it, and they aired
in the commfcials DURING THE SHOW! I nevr saw any others during WLVI's
cartoon line up. Nothing during Highlander, Mighty Max, Sailor Moon, etc.
Now that is stupidity. They advrtise a show DURING th show being
advertised!

Incidentaly th commercial was the scens from episode two, In Blooma's
capsule house when she switches on the TV. The cut in scenes from the series
and matted them into the screen, with Dialog something along the lines
of: Goku: Alright Bulma, DragonBall, now that's a show I can rally get into!

- Will.
--
William Cameron
scam...@netcom.com

"My Name Is Ruby. <RUBY>
I'm a Galactic Gumeshoe. <GUMESHOE>
A Good One. <GOOD ONE>" - Ruby, ZBS Productions, ALL episodes.
Watch the Doctor Who TV Movie, Tuesday the 14th of May on FOX!

Paul Cordeiro

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
On 5 Apr 1996, Matthew Sommer wrote:

> The cardinal mistake funimation made was devoting ZERO money on
> advertising the show. I dont think i ever saw one single commercial
> for it anywhere!

Actually, I caught one commercial shown on a particular Fox station that
carries Dragon Ball. Basically, it went like this (all footage is taken
from the show itself, no American animation involved): Bulma and Gokuu are
watching a show on TV that looked really childish. Gokuu is not impressed.
Then Bulma switches the channel and Dragon Ball comes on (the edit job is
a lot more convincing than their censorship). Now Gokuu is jumping for
joy, and Bulma's chuckling. Finally, you hear an announcer plugging
Dragon Ball while the theme song plays in the background.

Granted, I've only seen it once, so I may be a little off in some areas.

| -_^ PAUL CORDEIRO, self-appointed diehard anime fan. ^_- |
| ^o^ 16 and sittin' strong! ^o^ |
| Quote o' the week: |
| "I will solve any problem for you." --Dirty Pair TV OP |
| Fight o' the week: |
| Ryu (SF2V) vs Youta (VGAi) |