Ryouga's Pronunciation

tofusensei

Oct 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/30/95
In article <472e8a$6...@silas.cc.monash.edu.au>,
Ms CA Seawright <cas...@silas.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:
>No... The Ryo and the o (written with the 'u' character in the little
>Japanees writing next to the kanji) is just one sound... But it makes
>the 'o' in 'Ryo' double length. So, it's "Ryou-ga" (or however you want
>to write the sound that lengthens the 'o' in 'ryo'.) And if you want to
>know how to pronounce 'ryo' ... err... Go talk to someone Japanese! It's
>half 'r' and half 'l' said as one thing with the 'yo' part. It's a very
>difficult thing to say for most non Japanese people...

If you really want to know that bad just go and get a copy of the Ranma
Lambada. Akane says 'Ryouga' in it and it sounds just like it should be
said (enunciated well and crisp - you can really make it out) it can be
ftp'd at - ftp.tcp.com/pub/anime-manga/sorted/Ranma/Sounds/ (I forget the
name but it has Lambada in it)

-=Tofusensei=-

SR Dominguez

Nov 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/1/95
Ray Huang (jhu...@ben2.ucla.edu) wrote:
: In article <terrinDH...@netcom.com> ter...@netcom.com (Isabel Arantes) writes:
: >From: ter...@netcom.com (Isabel Arantes)
: >Subject: Re: Ryouga's Pronunciation
: >Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 18:03:22 GMT

: >>> In the manga (japanese) it's written ri-o-ga.
: >>
: >>I could be wrong, but shouldn't that be "ryo-o-ga"? "Ryo" is correctly
: >>pronounced as one sound.

: > Yeah, I thought it was strange too, but Akane says syllable
: >for syllable ri-o-ga. It really doesn't look like a 'ryo'. Anybody
: >else want to support me?

: No, it probably sounds like ri because she [Hidaka Noriko] says it really
: fast. It is rendered in most forms of romanji that I've seen as "ryo." And
: for all you that know some Japanese, in hiragana, that would be ri + chiisai
: yo.

: Ray

There is a common mistake made when traslating hiragana. When you want to
write a long "o" to make it sound "oh" you put a small verions of
the kana for "u" after it, thus spelling it "ou." That is why in loads
of translations Ryoga is called Ryouga, Mendo is Mendou, and so on.
The construction is:

RI O U GO

RI as in "rinse"
O as in "on"
U makes the o sound long like the o in "or"
GA like the gu in "seagull"

Ms CA Seawright

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
>If you really want to know that bad just go and get a copy of the Ranma
>Lambada. Akane says 'Ryouga' in it and it sounds just like it should be
>said (enunciated well and crisp - you can really make it out) it can be
>ftp'd at - ftp.tcp.com/pub/anime-manga/sorted/Ranma/Sounds/ (I forget the
>name but it has Lambada in it)

Yeah... But then, all the names are said like that when the people are
singing out the names.

Kun-chan...

Dennis A. Amith

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
to zan...@netcom.com
Ahh...this question reminds me of what happened at the Viz panel
in Anime America 1995. When Trish Ledoux said that even many
years learning Japanese, she still has problems saying "Ryouga"
and said that it's an inherited Japanese to speak it perfectly and
when she asked the audience to say it (which was filled with some
otaku's from Japan) and they said it...she said, nope your wrong!

DOH!

Kennedy
ken...@kingsnet.com

Ms CA Seawright

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
>: >>I could be wrong, but shouldn't that be "ryo-o-ga"? "Ryo" is correctly
>: >>pronounced as one sound.
>: No, it probably sounds like ri because she [Hidaka Noriko] says it really
>: fast. It is rendered in most forms of romanji that I've seen as "ryo." And
>: for all you that know some Japanese, in hiragana, that would be ri + chiisai
>: yo.
>There is a common mistake made when traslating hiragana. When you want to
>write a long "o" to make it sound "oh" you put a small verions of
>the kana for "u" after it, thus spelling it "ou." That is why in loads
>of translations Ryoga is called Ryouga, Mendo is Mendou, and so on.
>The construction is:

> RI O U GO

>RI as in "rinse"
>O as in "on"
>U makes the o sound long like the o in "or"
>GA like the gu in "seagull"

Errr... The construction are the characters Ri yo u ga ... You seem to
have forgotten that it's a little 'yo' not an 'o'... And a Ri and a yo
put together make the sound that is written as 'Ryo' and it sounds nothing
like the ri in 'rinse'.

RYOU doesn't have an English equivalent. But GA is like in 'gull'
The U does lengthen the 'O' sound, though.

Kun-chan...