Genlock information requested.

Guile

Jul 23, 1994, 12:21:29 AM7/23/94
Hello,

I have several questions regarding Genlocks.

1. Is there an ftp site that has specifications for genlocks?

2. Currently there are genlocks for all Amigas, PCs, and Macs. Is
it possible to interface a genlock designed for an Amiga into
a PC? I'm asking this because I find that most of the fansubbed
anime I watched are subtitled with genlocked Amigas and that the
genlocks I see are cheaper than the PC counterparts.

3. For people who use genlocks for any system, what kinds of problems
do you encounter when running your genlocks.

I'm planning on writing a subtitling program for PC using genlocks designed
for Amigas. Currently the project is on the drawing board. I plan to
adopt the JACOsub script format for the program, which I find to be very
ingeniously creative.

reply by any means. :)

--
Alexander Trinidad (aka Guile) (409) 6966329
ast...@tamsun.tamu.edu

Isaac Kuo

Jul 23, 1994, 2:12:04 AM7/23/94
Guile <ast...@tamsun.tamu.edu> wrote:
>1. Is there an ftp site that has specifications for genlocks?

I don't know.

>2. Currently there are genlocks for all Amigas, PCs, and Macs. Is
> it possible to interface a genlock designed for an Amiga into
> a PC? I'm asking this because I find that most of the fansubbed
> anime I watched are subtitled with genlocked Amigas and that the
> genlocks I see are cheaper than the PC counterparts.

No. Some hardware is interchangeable, but a "Genlock" is not one
of them.

>I'm planning on writing a subtitling program for PC using genlocks designed
>for Amigas. Currently the project is on the drawing board. I plan to
>adopt the JACOsub script format for the program, which I find to be very
>ingeniously creative.

At least one group I know of uses a PC based subtitling system and
program, but I'm not familiar with it (I personally use JACOsub,
which is written only for Amiga computers).

They use Chao Chen's ZeroG subtitling program with a G-Lock VGA+
Genlock. Contact yt...@tuba.aix.calp for more info, I guess.
--
_____ Isaac Kuo (isaa...@math.berkeley.edu)
__|_>o<_|__

Chao Chen

Jul 23, 1994, 1:14:50 PM7/23/94
: They use Chao Chen's ZeroG subtitling program with a G-Lock VGA+

: Genlock. Contact yt...@tuba.aix.calp for more info, I guess.

It's not my program. I never wrote it. Didn't touch 1 line of code. My
friend wrote the ZeroG program with various inputs from me as to what
features I wanted to see.

Chao

Hideki Ikeda

Jul 23, 1994, 8:49:20 PM7/23/94
Guile (ast...@tamsun.tamu.edu) wrote:
: Hello,

: I have several questions regarding Genlocks.

: 1. Is there an ftp site that has specifications for genlocks?

Dunno... I'm new too ^_^

: 2. Currently there are genlocks for all Amigas, PCs, and Macs. Is

: it possible to interface a genlock designed for an Amiga into
: a PC? I'm asking this because I find that most of the fansubbed
: anime I watched are subtitled with genlocked Amigas and that the
: genlocks I see are cheaper than the PC counterparts.

There's a External Genlock system available from a company called
Digital Vision, Inc
270 Bridge Street
Dedham, MA 02026
617/329-5400
$799.95
You can write or call them for specs... I think they have a tech-support
in Compu$erve but I forgot their e-mail address ^_^
You can mail-order from
MicroWarehouse
1-800-367-7080
$629.95
I called Digital Vision and asked them WHY I can't get it for $629.95 like
the price in MicroWarehouse and they said "We don't compete against
mail-orders"... Go figure ^^;

This GenLock works with Mac and PC, it has cool features such as video
filter, chroma color, key-color choices, overscan and underscan, etc all
builit into their BIOS so no software is needed to run the GenLock (as far
as TSR, etc is concerned). I wrote to them and asked them what happens if
they find a bug in their BIOS, and they did the double-speak on me ^_^;
The hardware connect direct to your VGA output, and it has SVID In/Out as
well as composite In/Out, comes with this handy cable that will let you
hook it up to Mac or PC right out of the box!

: 3. For people who use genlocks for any system, what kinds of problems

: do you encounter when running your genlocks.

I use PC, and the major problem is software... I wrote my own ^_^;
Soon to be converted to Windows interface so I can use the TruType, atm,
etc capabilities...

: I'm planning on writing a subtitling program for PC using genlocks designed

: for Amigas. Currently the project is on the drawing board. I plan to
: adopt the JACOsub script format for the program, which I find to be very
: ingeniously creative.

Please lemme know when you'll done... I can use it *^_^*

peace
hideki
--

.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~,
| Hideki Ikeda .-------, |
| hide...@netcom.com | place | |
| 73500...@compuserve.com | stamp | |
| hideki...@segaoa.com | here | |
| ._______, |
| Your name here |
| Your address here |
| City, State, ZIP, Country |
| |
| "Mata kudaranai mono o kitte shimatta..." - Ishikawa Goemon |
| "Benkyou sasete itadakimasu!" - Ooe Kintaro |
| "There are three kinds of people in this world... One who can count, |
| and one who can't." - Robert "ScumPuppy" Morgan |
.__________________________________________________________________________.

Paul England

Jul 28, 1994, 4:13:00 PM7/28/94

As> 2. Currently there are genlocks for all Amigas, PCs, and Macs. Is
As> it possible to interface a genlock designed for an Amiga into
As> a PC? I'm asking this because I find that most of the fansubbed
As> anime I watched are subtitled with genlocked Amigas and that the
As> genlocks I see are cheaper than the PC counterparts.

You don't really have to go through that hassle. If you want to subtitle
something that was timed w/ an Amiga genlock on an IBM/Mac genlock (or
vice/versa) just ramp the script. (It's a feature w/ all subtitling
programs).

As> 3. For people who use genlocks for any system, what kinds of problems
As> do you encounter when running your genlocks.

Spending too much time on the computer. :-). Timing is the biggest thing.
The most popular genlock for the Amiga right now is the G-Lock. I've
got the SUperGen. Fortunately, their timing matches perfectly.

Paul

... New Mail not found. Start whine-pout sequence? (Y/N)
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12