DB/DBZ FAQ v1.40 (7/9)

Dr. Briefs

Aug 1, 2004, 4:22:08 AM8/1/04
B-02 Who are these people?

From Gautama Buddha's DBZ family tree (a small update seems to be in
order):

Arrows flow UPWARDS towards authority, ie: Red Ribbon Army <--- Cmdr. Blue
or towards the logical relationship. Kamisama ---> SonGoku
(trained)

Friends have double-headed arrows: SonGoku <--> Kaiou-sama
|- Bubbles
And companions ... (companions)`- Gregory

... and relatives have none. SonGoku + Chichi

SonGoten

Goku and Chichi's family:
========================

Bardock's Team (destroyed)
^
(members of)|
|------------ Bardock (dead) + ???
|- Toma (dead) |
|- Celipa (dead) |
`- two others (dead) | Kamesennin
_________| ^
| |(student of)
Kamesennin __|__ |
^ | | (aka Bull Demon Lord)
|(student of) | Radits (dead) Gyuumaoh + ???
| | | |
SonGohan (Human, dead) | `------> Vejita (dead) |
| | (underling of) ____________________|
|(adoptive f.) | |
`-------------> SonGoku (dead) + ChiChi (aka Tokumei Kibou, 3rd
(aka Kakarotto) | Tenkaichi Budoukai)
Kami-sama <--------------| _____|___
(trained with)| | |
Kaiou-sama <--------------| | SonGoten <------------> Trunks
(trained with)| | ^ (friends) ^
Kamesennin <--------------| | |_____________________|
(trained with)| | | (friends)
Karin-sama <--------------' | |
^ | (companion?) | | Mr. Satan + ???
/ Yajirobe | | |
/ | `---------------. |
|(worship) (friends) | v |
| .-------> SonGohan (aka Great Saiyaman!) +? Biideru
|- Bora + ??? | ^ | (aka Kiniro Senshi) ^ ^
| | | | | | |
`----- Upa | | `--------------------------------' |
v | (mentor) |
Haiya Dragon |____________________________________|
[movies only] |
(schoolmates) |-> Sharpener
|-> Eraser
`-> Angela (Angle?)

Piccolo's family (if you can say that about Namek-sei-jin):

Katattsu
| (parent of) (aka Shen) (trained)
`-------------------- Kami-sama ------------> SonGoku
(created) | | | | ^
Shen Long, Earth's Dragon God <-------------' | | | (companion) | (trained)
^ (split off) | | `-------------- Mr. Popo
(killed) | .------------------------' |
| v `-------------------.
Demon Lord Piccolo (dead) (fused with)|
_______________|____________________________________________ |
| | | | | |
Piano (dead) Tambourine (dead) Cymbal (dead) Drum (dead) | |
Piccolo Jr.
(aka Ma Jr.)
(bodyguard) .---> (aka Kameccolo)
Saichourou <----------- Nail ----' (aka Kameccolo-Nail)
(Namekkian Leader of Leaders) (fused with) |
_________| | |
(created) | |(friends, gave power to) |
v |----------------> Kuririn |
Cho Long, Namek's Dragon God |----------------> SonGohan <---------|
`--------------------. (mentor)|
v |
Cargo (dead) <---------> Dende <------------|
(friends) (mentor)|
Gotenkusu <--------'
(mentor)

The Turtle Elder's family:
=========================

Gamera
(a very small one)
^
(transp.) |

(aka Turtle Hermit, aka Jackie Chung) .- Dracula-man
Kamesennin <----------------> Uranai-Obaba <--|- The Invisible Man
(friends) | | ^ ^ ^ (brother/sister) (fighters)|- The Mummy
.--------' | | | | |- Akku-man (devil)
Umigame + ??? | | | `---------------- SonGohan (dead)
(Turtle) | | | | (students of) `- Bull Demon Lord
Taro | | |
| | `---------------- Lanfan [yep, the contestant from the
| | (love interest)| 1st Tenkaichi Budoukai]
(dead) | | |
Mutaito-sama <-| | (prime enemy) v
| `---------------> Tsurusennin <--------> Taopaipai (cyborged)
(students of)| | (brothers)
`------------------------'

(Note: the Crane Elder is NOT related by blood to the Turtle Elder!)

Kuririn/#18's family:
====================

Red Ribbon Army (destroyed) <--- Red Leader (dead) <-----. (kills)
^ ^ ^ ^ |
.---------------------' | | `-- Colonel Black (dead)
|(pet) .------' | ^
That nasty killer cat-thing | | |- Cmdr. Silver (dead)
| Taopaipai |- Cmdr. White (dead)
| (cyborged) | ^^^
Huskie | ||`- Purple Ninja 2-5 (dead)
(aka The Genius Thief) | ||
| |`-- The Blob (dead)
| |
| | (created)
[anime only!] | `--- Dr. Frappe -> Cyborg #8
| (aka Hacchan)

|- Cmdr. Blue (dead)
|- Cmdr. Yellow (dead)
(note: she lived!) |- Cmdr. Violet
|- Cmdr. Copper

(unclear who created him) |- Cyborg Metallic (dead)

`- Dr. Gero (dead)
(ARTIFICIAL HUMANS) |
.-------------------------------'
v (rebuilt himself as)
Cyborg #20 - Machine-based (dead)

(created) |-----------------------> Cell (dead) <- All the other
v Z Fighters
Cyborg #19 - Machine-based (dead)
Twins .- Cyborg #18 - Human-based ---------.
(brother/sister)`- Cyborg #17 - Human-based |
Cyborg #16 - Machine-based (dead) |
[movie only] Cyborg #15 - Machine-based (dead) |
[movie only] Cyborg #14 - Machine-based (dead) | Oorinji-Temple Monks
[movie only] Cyborg #13 - Machine-based (dead) | ^
Cyborg #8 - Human/Frankenstein | (brothers)|
| |
`-- + Kuririn <---'

Daughter (unnamed as yet)

Vejita's family:
===============

King Cold (dead)
|-------------- Cooler (dead)

| (also named Vejita)
| King of the Saiyajin (dead) + ???
| | | Briefs + Bulma's mother (never named)
| (exiled) | | |
| v | | (companion) .---- Pooaru
| Paragas (dead) + ??? | | | ^
| | | | Yamucha |
| Burori (dead) | | ^ |
| | | (early bf/gf)| (frnds)|
Freeza (dead) -------------> Vejita (dead) + Bulma <------------' v
| | (underling) ^ | | | Oolong
| `-> Dodoria (dead) / | \ Trunks >------+------< SonGoten
| (lieutenant) / | \ |
| / | \ Gotenkusu
`----> Zarbon (dead) / \ \
(assistant) / \ \ (underling)
/ \ `---> Radits (dead)
(early rival) / \
Kyuii (dead) <---------' `------> Nappa (dead)
(underling/early caretaker)

Tenshinhan's family:
=================== Kamesennin
.- Chaozu (companion) ^
(students of)| | |(lived with)
Tsurusennin <--------------- Tenshinhan +? - Lunch <----|
^ ^ `- Blond Lunch <----'
| (brothers) |
v |
Taopaipai (cyborged) -----------'
(early mentor)

Pilaf's entourage:
=================
Lord Pilaf

(faithful servants) |-> Mai
`-> Shu (aka Soba in manga 2, renamed later)

The Ginyuu Team:
===============
Freeza (dead)
(hired goons) ^

The Ginyuu Team (destroyed)
^
(members of) |- Ginyuu (dead) [body-switcher]
|- Rikuum (dead) [muscleman]
|- Baata (dead) [lizard]
|- Jiisu (dead)
`- Gurudo (dead) [time-control]

The Kaious:
==========
Kaiou-shin 1 (dead) -------.
Kaiou-shin 2 (dead) -------| <--------------------.
(GODS OF THE KAIOUS) Kaiou-shin 3 (dead) -------| (killed)|
|---------. |
.---------------- Kaiou-shin 4 (imprisoned) -| | |
|(gave power to) | |(killed) |
v Kaiou-shin 5 --------------' v |
SonGohan ^ | Bibidi Buu
(assistant)| |
Kibit (dead, but revived) | (underling)
^ v
|(killed) Dai-Kaiou (Lord of the Kaious)
Dabura (dead) |
| (underlings)
_____________________|____________________________________
| | | |
v v v v
Kaiou-sama (dead) Kaiou of the South Kaiou of the East Kaiou of the West
(Kaiou of the North) | |
| | (fighter)`-> Paikuhan
| (fighter)`-> Papoi

(assist.)|-> Bubbles (dead)
`-> Gregory (dead) [anime only]

The Maijins:
=========== The 5 Kaiou-shins

Bibidi (dead) <----------------'
| | (killed by)
Kibit (revived) | | 3 of the 5 Kaiou-shins
^ (parent of)| `-----------. ^
|(killed) | |(created) |
| (henchman) | (revived) | | (killed)
Dabura (dead) <---------- Babidi (dead) -----. | .----------------'
(aka King of Hell) | | | | ^ | | |
Vejita (dead) <---------' | | | (killed)| v v | .- SonGohan
| Yakon (dead) <----| | | | |
| (monster) | | \ Angry Buu ----------> Gentle Buu (dead)
|(killed) | | \ (killed) | ^
v | | \ | |
Pipi (dead) <------------' | \ (pet) v |(friends?)
| (assistant) | \ Dog |
|(killed) / \ \ (killed) v
v / \ v Mr. Satan
Yamuu (dead) <-----------' `-> Supopobitchi (dead)
(henchmen)

21ST TENKAICHI BUDOUKAI: (Goku age 12)
=======================

Jackie Chung
___________________|____________________
| |
Jackie Chung SonGoku
___________|_____________ ________|_______
| | | |
Kuririn Jackie Chung Namu SonGoku
____|____ _____|____ __|___ ___|___
| | | | | | | |
Kuririn Bacterian Jackie Chung Yamucha Namu Lanfan SonGoku Giran
(aka Kamesennin)

22ND TENKAICHI BUDOUKAI: (Goku age 15)
=======================

Tenshinhan
___________________|___________________
| |
Tenshinhan SonGoku
___________|___________ ________|_______
| | | |
Tenshinhan Jackie Chung Kuririn SonGoku
_____|____ _____|____ ____|___ ___|____
| | | | | | | |
Yamucha Tenshinhan Jackie Chung Wolfman Kuririn Chaozu Pamputto SonGoku
(aka Kamesennin)

23RD TENKAICHI BUDOUKAI: (Goku age 18)
=======================

SonGoku
___________________|____________________
| |
SonGoku Ma Jr.
___________|_____________ ________|______
| | | |
Tenshinhan SonGoku Ma Jr. Shen
_____|_____ _____|____ ___|___ __|___
| | | | | | | |
Taopaipai Tenshinhan Tokumei Kibou SonGoku Kuririn Ma Jr. Yamucha Shen
(aka Chichi) (aka Piccolo)(aka Kamisama)

B-03 What do the names mean?

From Rika Takahashi's DBZ Name Puns (slightly modified):

Bulma's family
--------------
Briefs \__ self-explanatory
Trunks /
Bulma = Bloomers
(there is a motif of "undergarments"...)

The Saiyajin
------------
Saiyajin -> Yasaijin = Vegetable people
Kakarotto (Gokou) = (Ka)Carrot
Raditz = radish
Vegita -> Vegeta = Vegeta[ble] (hense the name of royalty of veggie
people)
Nappa = type of cabbage
Bardack -> ???
Celipa -> paceli = parseley
Toma = toma[to]
-- what were the names of the other henchmen of Barcack? --
Paragas = [as]paragas
Broli = bro[cco]li
(yes, all the names are "vegetables". It's another motif!)

Pilaf's troupe
--------------
Pilaf = fried rice
Shu \__ add them to get shumai, a Chimese dumpling-like
Mai / finger food

Red Ribbon Army
---------------
self-explanatory.
Silver, White, Metallic, Murasaki (Purple), Blue, Yellow, Taopaipai
(well, he wasn't exactly in the army--he was hired--but his name is
spelled peach-white-white!), Brown, Violet (funny... Blue said to
Bulma something like, "We don't need [or was it want?] women in the
Red Ribbon Army"...), Copper (appears only by name in the manga),
Black, and Red.
(there was a "color" motif...)

The Nammekku planet's inhabitants and vegetation
Nammekku -> nameku = nameku[ji] = slug
Katattsu -> katatsu = katatsu[muri] = snail
Dende = dende[nmushi] =snail (slang)
Cargo = [es]cargo
Nail = [s]nail
Ajissa (tree) -> ajisa = ajisa[i] = hydeangea (or however you
spell that thing)
(note that the motif was "slugs & snails"...)

Anyone for dim sum?
-------------------
Yamcha = dim sum (it's called yamcha in different places)
Oolong \__ two types of Chinese tea
Pooalu /
Chaozu -> Gyouza (read the kanji differently) = pot stickers
Tenshinhan -> Tensienhan = Tenshien rice
Gohan = rice or meal

The Ginyu Tokusentai
--------------------
Ginyu -> gyunyu = milk
Rikum -> kurim = cream
Gurudo -> guruto = [yo]guruto -> yogurt
Baata -> bataa = butter
Jiisu -> chiisu = cheese
("dairy products"...)

While we are on the subject of food...
--------------------------------------
Karin-tou (karin tower) -> karinto = crunchy, cookie-like snack
food
Lunch = self-explanatory
Zarbon = Zabon (an exotic fruit. No. Really!)
Dodoria = Dorian? (there is a really exotic fruit with a name
like that...)
Kuririn = Chestnut
Marron = French for "chestnut"

Freeza's family -- a self-explanatory bunch of aliens?
Freeza = freezer
Cold = COLD! (what did you think it would be?)
Coola = ku-u-ra = eating (Japanese dialect)
(also can be interpreted as "cooler")

The guys at Uranai-Baba's castle
--------------------------------
Uranai-baba = fortune teller (self-explanatory if you know
Japanese)
Miira-kun = mummy (also self-explanatory if you know Japanese)
Dracula-man = self-expalanatory.
Suke-san = "invisible" man (there is no direct translation, but
transparent, in Japanese slang, is "suke-suke".)
Akkuman = akuman = akuma(n) = devil

Piccolo and gang -- also self-explanatory
Cymbal
Piano
Tambarin = tambourine
Drum
Piccolo
(motif is "musical instruments")

Miscellaneous characters
------------------------
Cell = self-explanatory (if you don't get it.. he's made up
from the CELLS of all the Z warriors!)
Mr. Satan = also self-explanatory (I laughed every time the
crowd chanted "Satan! Satan!", thinking, "The whole world
has turned into one HUGE satanic cult... It's worse than
seeing Sailor Moon or DB on Fox after the crap all the
producers will do on them...)
Videl = devil (of course Satan's daughter would be the DEVIL!)
Shapner = sharpener
Iresa = eraser
(Videl's schoolmates have "stationery" motif)
Bacterian = bacteria(n)
Nam = nam[uamidabutsu] (Buddist? prayer -- I know it's something
religious)
Yajirobe -> yajirobee = little balance-toy in Japan
To Ninjinka (The boss of the Usagi gang) = rabbit morph-to-
carrot (remember that this guy can turn you into a carrot by
touching you.)
Chichi = father, boobs (slang) (well, I think this was for
Kamesennin's "So, Gyumaou's daughter's boobs are Chichi's
chichi..." comment...)
Buyon (the monster in the 5th floor of White's building) =
blubber (Japanese slang for "blubbery" is "buyo-buyo")
The magicians Bibity and Babity and their creation Buu = say
the three names in a row, and you got "Bibbity Bobboty Boo"
-- remember Cinderella by Disney?)

--
Glenn Wang <br...@earthlink.net>, http://www.capcorphq.com/
Proud member of #SAS# and Co-Founder of #WASHU#