[ANNOUNCMENT] A.D.Vision Presents!!!!

Lauren Nicolo

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
In <4fo8h7$d...@uuneo.neosoft.com> d...@advfilms.com (David Williams)
writes:

>Coming this summer from A.D.Vision!!!!!
>
> Evangelion
>
>The hot action-packed TV series currently taking anime by storm, comes
to the
>U.S. in a newly created OVA version. This is the SAME story, SAME
action but
>with all NEW high quality animation!!! This series will be released
with two
>episodes per VHS tape in both subtitled and dubbed versions and as a
>bilingual/close captioned LASER DISC!
>
>Final release dates and prices to be announced.

WHOA!!! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this! And on LD, to
boot! Blue Seed, Gunsmith Cats, and now Evangelion, life is good!! I
guess all those H animes were just to make money to get the really good
stuff!

--
--==Ukyou==--
pas...@ix.netcom.com

Ucchan's Homepage:

http://tsunami.tisl.ukans.edu/~ukyou/

Magic Knight Rayearth homepage:

http://tsunami.tisl.ukans.edu/~ukyou/rayearth/

David Williams

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
Coming this summer from A.D.Vision!!!!!

Evangelion

The hot action-packed TV series currently taking anime by storm, comes to the
U.S. in a newly created OVA version. This is the SAME story, SAME action but
with all NEW high quality animation!!! This series will be released with two
episodes per VHS tape in both subtitled and dubbed versions and as a
bilingual/close captioned LASER DISC!

Final release dates and prices to be announced.

------
David Williams
A.D.Vision Internet Liaison
d...@advfilms.com
http://www.advfilms.com

davi...@imap1.asu.edu

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
David Williams (d...@advfilms.com) wrote:
: Coming this summer from A.D.Vision!!!!!

: Evangelion

: The hot action-packed TV series currently taking anime by storm, comes to the
: U.S. in a newly created OVA version. This is the SAME story, SAME action but
: with all NEW high quality animation!!! This series will be released with two
: episodes per VHS tape in both subtitled and dubbed versions and as a
: bilingual/close captioned LASER DISC!

Hmmm. Another hot new release from ADV in a year full of them. This
seems to confirm my theory they have a bargain with Satan. :>

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe You'll find yourself saying
"This issue is HOT alright...

Neil Scott Nadelman

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
David Williams (d...@advfilms.com) wrote:
: Coming this summer from A.D.Vision!!!!!

: Evangelion

: The hot action-packed TV series currently taking anime by storm, comes to the
: U.S. in a newly created OVA version. This is the SAME story, SAME action but
: with all NEW high quality animation!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Huh????

:This series will be released with two

: episodes per VHS tape in both subtitled and dubbed versions and as a
: bilingual/close captioned LASER DISC!

: Final release dates and prices to be announced.

: ------
: David Williams
: A.D.Vision Internet Liaison
: d...@advfilms.com
: http://www.advfilms.com

--

----------------------------------------+------------------------------------
Neil Nadelman...@user1.channel1.com| The blood still pulses in my veins.

Peter Evans

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
Neil Scott Nadelman <doc...@user1.channel1.com> wrote:
>David Williams (d...@advfilms.com) wrote:
>: Coming this summer from A.D.Vision!!!!!

>: Evangelion
>: The hot action-packed TV series currently taking anime by storm, comes to the
>: U.S. in a newly created OVA version. This is the SAME story, SAME action but
>: with all NEW high quality animation!!!
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Huh?

Yes, yes. Do tell. Have Gainax sold their soul to market pressures
and agreed to reanimate it so that its more suitable for the
puritanical american palate?

>:This series will be released with two
>: episodes per VHS tape in both subtitled and dubbed versions and as a
>: bilingual/close captioned LASER DISC!

Eeh ba' ghum, you 'mericans don't know how lucky tha' 's!

^ o \\ Founding Member - Urara-Chan Fan Club.
U \Beh! \\ "Otoko ha Tsuyoku, Onna ha Yasashiku ..."

Keith Rhee

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
doc...@user1.channel1.com (Neil Scott Nadelman) writes:

>David Williams (d...@advfilms.com) wrote:

>: The hot action-packed TV series currently taking anime by storm, comes to the
>: U.S. in a newly created OVA version. This is the SAME story, SAME action but
>: with all NEW high quality animation!!!
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Huh????

My response exactly. Never heard of any plans from Gainax about doing
an OVA version of the story. Is this like the Nadia compilations which
condenses the story and adds some new footage?

--
Keith Rhee
A boss says "Go." -- A leader says "Let's go."

David Williams

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
In article <4fp3n5$b...@news1.channel1.com>, doc...@user1.channel1.com (Neil Scott Nadelman) wrote:
>David Williams (d...@advfilms.com) wrote:
>: Coming this summer from A.D.Vision!!!!!
>
>: Evangelion
>
>: The hot action-packed TV series currently taking anime by storm, comes to the
>
>: U.S. in a newly created OVA version. This is the SAME story, SAME action but
>
>: with all NEW high quality animation!!!
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Huh????

Sorry for the confusion. This is the TV series but they are reanimating each
episode for a higher quality of animation. Same number of episodes, same
action in each episode, just even better animation.

David Williams

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
In article <4fpaba$g...@gol1.gol.com>, pe...@gol1.gol.com (Peter Evans) wrote:
> Yes, yes. Do tell. Have Gainax sold their soul to market pressures
> and agreed to reanimate it so that its more suitable for the
> puritanical american palate?

Nope, they are just taking the opportunity to raise the level of quality of
the animation. Everything else remains the same.

David WIlliams

Angst-sensei

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
In article <4fr03o$f...@uuneo.neosoft.com>,

David Williams <d...@advfilms.com> wrote:
>In article <4fpaba$g...@gol1.gol.com>, pe...@gol1.gol.com (Peter Evans) wrote:
>> Yes, yes. Do tell. Have Gainax sold their soul to market pressures
>> and agreed to reanimate it so that its more suitable for the
>> puritanical american palate?
>
>Nope, they are just taking the opportunity to raise the level of quality of
>the animation. Everything else remains the same.

Bug! You mean, they're essentially redoing the entire series in an
extended OAV-quality form? I presume this is a move geared at both the
Japanese and American markets, as the higher animation quality would
definitely make the series more salable than it already is.

Demo funky desu ne...

--Angst-sensei
(The Fall and Rise of the Gainax Empire.)

--
/-\ ** Jeff Williamson *** Lightfall Integrated Media *** Chicago, IL ** /-\
|A| E-mail: doca...@mcs.com *@_@* Anime Central Recruitment Coordinator |9|

M.R. Opel

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
>In <4fo8h7$d...@uuneo.neosoft.com> d...@advfilms.com (David Williams)
>writes:
>>
>>Coming this summer from A.D.Vision!!!!!
>>
>> Evangelion

Ack! I was really hoping that Animeigo or US Manga Corps would get Eva. Oh
well; at least they're promising an LD release. But still, just imagine the
typical AD Vision free-form translation....

Gendou: "The Angels are back already? WHAT THE F**K!?!"
Shinji: "Chill out old man!"
Asuka: "Shinji, you're, like, a TOTAL geek!"

or the scene in Rei's apartment...

Shinji: "Ah! Sorry!"
Rei: "Get your f**king hands off me."

Scary -_^

-Matt O.

Enrique Conty

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
>In <4fo8h7$d...@uuneo.neosoft.com> d...@advfilms.com (David Williams)
>writes:
>>
>>Coming this summer from A.D.Vision!!!!!
>> Evangelion

Cool. But...

>>The hot action-packed TV series currently taking anime by storm,
>>comes to the U.S. in a newly created OVA version. This is the
>>SAME story, SAME action but with all NEW high quality animation!!!

Please explain what do you mean by "OVA version". Are they going to
redo the animation? Are they going to summarize the story in 6 OVA
episodes? Sorry, I don't understand...

>>This series will be released with two episodes per VHS tape in both
>>subtitled and dubbed versions and as a bilingual/close captioned
>>LASER DISC!

Good!
--
Enrique Conty | co...@cig.mot.com | http://www.mcs.net/~conty
NuVista+ Mac genlock/video capture board for sale. | Wargame stuff for sale.

Urd-sama's Desk

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
In article <4fpaba$g...@gol1.gol.com>,
pe...@gol1.gol.com (Peter Evans) wrote:

[Neon Genesis Evangelion]
>>: episodes per VHS tape in both subtitled and dubbed versions and as a
>>: bilingual/close captioned LASER DISC!
>

> Eeh ba' ghum, you 'mericans don't know how lucky tha' 's!

You mean you like LDs that don't last even half a decade?

BTW, Peter, what about the Japanese LDs? Will these contain the straight TV
animation, or the reworked version?

Ja ne!
Jeroen

Reiji Muskett

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
d...@advfilms.com (David Williams) wrote:

> In article <4fpaba$g...@gol1.gol.com>, pe...@gol1.gol.com (Peter Evans) wrote:
> > Yes, yes. Do tell. Have Gainax sold their soul to market pressures
> > and agreed to reanimate it so that its more suitable for the
> > puritanical american palate?
>
> Nope, they are just taking the opportunity to raise the level of quality of
> the animation. Everything else remains the same.
>
> David WIlliams
> A.D.Vision Internet Liaison
> d...@advfilms.com
> http://www.advfilms.com

I just read Mr. Carl G. Horn's lengthy review of EVA on AMPlus
(excellent article). So I'm wondering how could GAINAX spend
4 years on the project and then raise the quality in a 6 month
rework? Unless there is a significant amount of edited parts
that are going to be added back, and perhaps fills for motion
smoothness. But I'm guessing on the affirmative side. Perhaps.
From the OAVs I've seen and heard, the series is fantastic as is.

Reiji Muskett
StudioUFO
O-jama shimashita

David Williams

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
In article <4fqrdr$l...@newdelph.cig.mot.com>, co...@rtsg.mot.com (Enrique Conty) wrote:
>Please explain what do you mean by "OVA version". Are they going to
>redo the animation? Are they going to summarize the story in 6 OVA
>episodes? Sorry, I don't understand...

As I said in the clarification I posted earlier, they are enhancing the
animation of the TV series to OVA quality for all international releases of
the series. Other than the new look, it's the same as the TV series.

-----
David Williams

S.L.A.

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
Enrique Conty (co...@rtsg.mot.com) wrote:

: >IF ADVision's translations were anywhere near accurate I would
: >consider it. But I guess until the devil buys a snowplow,
: >I'll go with the japanese LDs...

: Actually, it seems they're getting better than they used to be.

Hopefully they'll get tired of that "intestinal fortitude" phrase by the time they
release EVA.

Eric Lanier

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
Enrique Conty (co...@rtsg.mot.com) wrote:
: In article <4fssto$t...@yarrow.wt.com.au> Michael Studte writes:
: >
: >That does not make any sense... The TV series has animation far
: >superior to most other anime TV series...
: ^^
: Compared to other TV animation, yes. But it could still be
: improved even more. And with the rumored amount of money ADV
: paid for the show, they could spruce and fix things here and there.

Info gained from a source states that the animation quality has gone down with
less and less cels. They are working in a two week time frame.

: >AND, what does this mean to the japanese LD release? Are these going
: >to be the "normal" TV animation (making american fans privileged)?
:
: Dunno. But, from what I'm told, it wouldn't be the first time they
: "fix" the animation on the video release for a TV show. I guess
: we'll find out what they meant when it comes out... or when
: GAINAX replies to the inevitable e-mails already on their way.

If they're doing this just for ADV, then GAINAX fans in Japan will have been
betrayed. For fans everywhere, I hope not. Also, the level of volence in
#18,#19 and the (!) in #20 makes me wonder who or what is influencing
whom, hmm...

: >IF ADVision's translations were anywhere near accurate I would
: >consider it. But I guess until the devil buys a snowplow,
: >I'll go with the japanese LDs...
:
: Actually, it seems they're getting better than they used to be.

: Enrique Conty | co...@cig.mot.com | http://www.mcs.net/~conty

EL

--
|"I've heard that some people complain about the large|Still looking for...|
|eyes and small noses and mouths in Japanese manga.But|BGC B-Club Special |

Enrique Conty

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
In article <4ft6su$6...@usenet2.interramp.com> Reiji Muskett <ir00...@interramp.com> writes:

>So I'm wondering how could GAINAX spend 4 years on the project and then
>raise the quality in a 6 month rework?

As you said.

>perhaps fills for motion smoothness.

This, most likely.

Dwayne Gregory

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
David Williams wrote:

> Sorry for the confusion. This is the TV series but they are reanimating each
> episode for a higher quality of animation. Same number of episodes, same
> action in each episode, just even better animation.

Surely they are not going to redraw and repaint the entire series. Are they
just going to be doing a better job of transfering the cel images to recordable media?

Dan J. Rockwell

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
On 15 Feb 1996 19:22:28 GMT, ser...@voicenet.com (Eric Lanier) wrote:

>Enrique Conty (co...@rtsg.mot.com) wrote:
>: Compared to other TV animation, yes. But it could still be
>: improved even more. And with the rumored amount of money ADV
>: paid for the show, they could spruce and fix things here and there.

I doubt they're doing it just for ADV, better yet they're probably
just adding a cleaner look to the animtation for thier own japanese
market. Afterall they've got compete with the people who taped EVA
off the air, why not give them a cleaner animation, like an incentive
to pick up the EVA OVA's to insure them they that the get the best
quality?

Don

Dan Rockwell
------------
==[Lightwave addicted, painter approved computer graphics artist.]=====
==[Anime,dOOM,TechnoHouseAcidJazz,AvidMediaComposer,"Evil Sky Monster!"]==
==[www.infinet.com/~djr]===============================[djr@neosoft,com]==

Iskandar Taib

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In article <4g2bcm$8...@yarrow.wt.com.au>,
Michael Studte <mst...@yarrow.wt.com.au> wrote:

>Really, I have yet to notice a difference. If anything, them actually
>changing NAMES (see their New Angel "Kousuke"<->"Keisuke" blunder, it
>is SOOOO fucking noticable that the spoken name does not match what
>they've put on screen) is starting to make it worse. I'm watching a
>friend's borrowed Iczelion, but I'm completely ignoring the subs. I'd
>rather only understand what my japanese language abilities can handle
>than listen to the f*****n' americanisations in the dialogue.

You know, I was asking the same questions about Kekko Kamen - they
subtitled "Mayumi" as "Miami" and "Hanako" as "Hannukah". So I asked
Matt Greenfield what the heck was going on here. Turns out it wasn't
his fault at all - thats the way Go Nagai wanted it ^_^;;;;;

Yes, Kekko Kamen is Go Nagai being silly anyway, so we can live with
it..

Iskandar Taib | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: nt...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu | Frog is Frog ala Peach
Home page: http://bigwig.geology.indiana.edu/iskandar/isk2.html

Iskandar Taib

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In article <3123F3...@cbvcp.com>,

I wonder if any cels have made it out of the studio yet ^_^;;;

Sexton Furnival

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
Re: [ANNOUNCMENT] A.D.Vision Presents!!!!

>>IF ADVision's translations were anywhere near accurate I would
>>consider it. But I guess until the devil buys a snowplow,
>>I'll go with the japanese LDs...
>
>Actually, it seems they're getting better than they used to be.

could someone explain this? the only ADVISION tapes i have are APCCG Nuku
Nuku.. how is the translation on that? i'm planning to buy a lot of the stuff
they have coming out this year... not that i have an option otherwise, i don't
know nearly enough japanese to comprehend any anime without translation. their
titles look the nicest of all of the companies i buy from, and the clamshell
cases are nice too [although i've seen sleeves from them recently, but that
might just be dubbed stuff]
9-----
9s...@singe.com if your mail to me bounces, send it back. server's messy.

Michael Studte

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
che...@haas.berkeley.edu (John Chennavasin) wrote:

>>could someone explain this? the only ADVISION tapes i have are APCCG Nuku
>>Nuku.. how is the translation on that? i'm planning to buy a lot of the stuff
>>they have coming out this year... not that i have an option otherwise, i don't
>>know nearly enough japanese to comprehend any anime without translation. their
>>titles look the nicest of all of the companies i buy from, and the clamshell
>>cases are nice too [although i've seen sleeves from them recently, but that
>>might just be dubbed stuff]

>ADV did a wonderful job with Nuku Nuku and 801 TTS Airbats, with subtitles

Except that Airbats is not the original title, neither is "End of
Summer" (out of which they cut the credits in between parts (they
created EoS from 2 parts of the "Classmates" OAV sereis), including a
rather important dream sequence which took place during the OP credit
of part 2)... I could go on, but I won't.

John Chennavasin

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In article <SID21...@singe.com>, Sexton Furnival <so...@singe.com> wrote:

>could someone explain this? the only ADVISION tapes i have are APCCG Nuku
>Nuku.. how is the translation on that? i'm planning to buy a lot of the stuff
>they have coming out this year... not that i have an option otherwise, i don't
>know nearly enough japanese to comprehend any anime without translation. their
>titles look the nicest of all of the companies i buy from, and the clamshell
>cases are nice too [although i've seen sleeves from them recently, but that
>might just be dubbed stuff]

ADV did a wonderful job with Nuku Nuku and 801 TTS Airbats, with subtitles

that are free of gratuitous profanity. However, the same cannot be said
for their earlier works, with Sol Bianca being the worst offender.

ADV switched to cardboard sleeves completely...
John Chennavasin
che...@haas.berkeley.edu
http://haas.berkeley.edu/~chennav

Harold Ancell

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In article <4g76p8$3...@yarrow.wt.com.au>,
Michael Studte <mst...@yarrow.wt.com.au> wrote:
>che...@haas.berkeley.edu (John Chennavasin) wrote:
>
> [ various "does A.D. Vision do a good job" discussion]

>>ADV did a wonderful job with Nuku Nuku and 801 TTS Airbats, with subtitles
>

>Except that Airbats is not the original title, neither is "End of
>Summer" (out of which they cut the credits in between parts (they
>created EoS from 2 parts of the "Classmates" OAV sereis), including a
>rather important dream sequence which took place during the OP credit
>of part 2)... I could go on, but I won't.

And a good thing, too, since you are wrong about EOS, and are probably
mis-remembering my investigations about End of Summer (EOS) and
Doukyuusei ("Classmates", or DKS) 1 and 2. (Which is not to say that
A.D. Vision is noted for faithful translations, or that I am
completely sanguine about their doing Evangelion, which demands
AnimEigo quality translation....)

After semi-accidently buying a copy of Doukyuusei 2, I noticed there
was a lot of animation in DKS 2 that wasn't in EOS. After buying DKS
1 and going over both with a fine toothed comb it became clear that
both were "legitimate" but different versions, I'm certain that EOS
came first, and afterwards animation was added (and in one case
retouched) and at least some of the soundtrack (both BGM and voice)
was re-recorded or re-timed for the offical Japanese LD release.

Here's the two most clear cut examples from the long list of
differences I noted:

When Wataru carried Misa on his back after her bike accident, at the
the end of that bit he commented that she was well endowed....

In the End of Summer soundtrack, she replies:

baka! <pause> sukebe
(idiot!) (lecher)
<angry> <embarrassed, and maybe even pleased....>

In the Doukyuusei soundtrack, she replies with a simple "baka," with an
emphasis much like the sukebe in End of Summer.

When he's talking to Misa in the school medical office, when she says
(AVD trans) that's she's been so stupid to run so much she'll never
run again, during part of that her shadow is on a screen. In EOS,
it's a bogus generic silhouette that doesn't show her hair properly,
and it's mis-aligned (in 3D perspective; it's too far to the left).

Both these problems are fixed in DKS 1. and it is pretty clearly a 2nd
edition touch up. I don't think they kept and re-shot the same cells,
just added some extra to the outline, because parts of it are exactly
the same.

Anyway, it is my supposition that DSK was originally planned as one or
two 45 minute episodes, with the first having a sufficient emotional
climax (Mai in the car...) that they could have left it at one
episode. And that after seeing the first 45 minutes it got expanded
for domestic release, with DSK 2 getting a matching OP and dream
sequence, and various filler or explanatory animation added to both
(e.g. some foreshadowing about Misa falling for Wataru, some more
explanation about her injury from the doctor, etc.)

Here's the kicker: in all the differences that I noticed, the timing
of the BGM and the original dialog (words and emotions) in EOS was
*better*, often significantly so. Therefore I am not complaining
about our getting the original version in the US---if not for ADV we'd
never know about the superior dialog in it. And while the SoftCell
WWW page is currently closed due to the CDA, as I remember, End of
Summer 2 has a running time of 60 minutes, so we should be getting the
same version.

I'll also note that if they do get Evangelion, we should cut them some
slack in their translation; for example many of the official GAINAX
English translations are curious from what I hear (e.g. angel
vs. apostle), and of course all the Biblical metaphors are going to
play differently in a culture that is at it's base Christian.

- Harold

davi...@imap1.asu.edu

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
Michael Studte (mst...@yarrow.wt.com.au) wrote:
: che...@haas.berkeley.edu (John Chennavasin) wrote:

: >ADV did a wonderful job with Nuku Nuku and 801 TTS Airbats, with subtitles

: Except that Airbats is not the original title, neither is "End of

Well, the original title was Aozora Shojotai (Which means Blue Sky Girl
Squadron [roughly]) and the subtitle was 801st TTS Airbats. Now "Blue
Sky Girl Squadron" sounds real awkward in English, so they just switched
the main title for the subtitle. It isn't as if they made up something
like "Flying Tigresses" from whole cloth.

Harold Ancell

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In article <4g2ble$8...@yarrow.wt.com.au>,
Michael Studte <mst...@yarrow.wt.com.au> wrote:

>co...@rtsg.mot.com (Enrique Conty) wrote:
>>And with the rumored amount of money ADV
>>paid for the show, they could spruce and fix things here and there.
>
>Re: the money equals power argument, see the below. A friend from
>Japan asked me to post this (Note: one name has been blanked out to
>protect an inside source):
>
>[begin quote]
>
>Episode 18 was Bloody as I posted to rec.arts.anime, and #19 was
>grotesque, and #20 I watched yesterday was very erotique where Misato
>made love with Kaji. Many fans posted articles to fj.rec.animation
>saying "Don't broadcast such a sexy Anime in evening. It should be
>a late night show!"

Is is *that* remarkable to find GAINAX pushing the envelope in a
production? However, remembering the abrupt quality falloff in
Kimagure Orange Road around episode 22 or so I can emphasize....

Starting with the very first episodes Evangelion has struck me as
being a *very* brutal anime, from the barroom brawl level of the mecha
fighting (to use Carl Horn's metaphor), to the emotional Strumg und
Drang. Four years in the wilderness will do things to people....

>I think Gainax changed the style after they decided to distribute Eva
>via AD Vision, or AD Vision forced GAINAX to make Eva more violent,
>bloody and erotique.

This strikes me as *very* unlikely;

a) How long does it take to produce a single episode, e.g. when is the
preparation of an episode finished to the point that you can't force
changes? Some weeks, if not months, I believe, and this would have to
have happened long before A.D. Vision signed. Given the reported
bidding war for it, I doubt GAINAX felt they had to "enhance" it to
make it more salable, although greed will do strange things to people.

b) Why bother changing episodes 18 and later? The fate of a direct to
video US release of EVA will have long been sealed by the time these
episodes are released (on tapes 5, 6, or 7 depending on whether
they're packaged 4, 3, or 2 episodes a tape).

>When I communicated one month ago with xxxxxxx xxxxx who is one of Eva
>staff in GAINAX, he said "there's no plan to release the international
>version." I think it was just after that that GAINAX decided to
>release the international version.

Or they didn't decide, and MOVIC is confused and/or we're seeing the
results of a 3 company and more people game of "telephone". GAINAX
has stated quite explicitly (and in Japanese as well as English) that
they have no plans to enhance the animation.

(I wonder if the frostiness of that statement is due to a perception
that A.D. Vision might be licensing the name only to completely redo
the animation *themselves*, which is one way you could read the first
announcement.)

>What AD Vision mean by "REMAKE" must be making color of blood more
>bloody and adding nipples to breast with erotique colour....

Doubtful; ADV specificly mentioned more cells and touching up cells.

Let's also remember that while A.D. Vision appears to be quite happy
selling titles with "silly violence" (as their "warning" for Galaxy
Fraulein Yuna puts it) and little or no ecchi fan service, Evangelion
*as is* fits right into their general niche of violent anime with
moderate fan service---and I doubt ADV prompted Misato to promise
"service, service" at the end of many of those episode previews....

>The GAINAX Eva staffs sold the spirit to AD Vision.

Or GAINAX knows exactly what they're doing, and some fans don't like
the new direction they're taking the series, and are looking for
scapegoats. An American company will do nicely....

- Harold

Dwayne Gregory

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
Sexton Furnival wrote:

> Re: [ANNOUNCMENT] A.D.Vision Presents!!!!
>
> >>IF ADVision's translations were anywhere near accurate I would
>
> >>consider it. But I guess until the devil buys a snowplow,
>
> >>I'll go with the japanese LDs...
>

> >Actually, it seems they're getting better than they used to be.
>
> could someone explain this?

I can't speak for anyone else as to why they don't like AD Vision
translations. I don't mind them too much but AD Vision tends to adlib
translations. It is very "jarring" to hear the line, understand it and
see a translation that doesn't match. It makes me wonder if I really
understood the line. Then again Pioneer tends to do the same thing.

Unknown

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
d...@advfilms.com (David Williams) wrote:

>Coming this summer from A.D.Vision!!!!!

> Evangelion

>The hot action-packed TV series currently taking anime by storm, comes to the

>U.S. in a newly created OVA version. This is the SAME story, SAME action but

>with all NEW high quality animation!!! This series will be released with two

>episodes per VHS tape in both subtitled and dubbed versions and as a
>bilingual/close captioned LASER DISC!

>Final release dates and prices to be announced.

>------

>David Williams
>A.D.Vision Internet Liaison
>d...@advfilms.com
>http://www.advfilms.com

Cool. Now that's 2 anime LD, Gunsmith Cats and Evangelion, I can
purchase and watch from ADVision. Keep it coming, there're still a lot
of emptiness in my anime LD collection.

Enrique Conty

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
In article <4g2bcm$8...@yarrow.wt.com.au> mst...@yarrow.wt.com.au (Michael Studte) writes:
>ADVision will exercise its power to make changes THEIR way. I
>don't know if you've kept an eye on fj.rec.animation, but all hell has
>broken loose there because all of a sudden there is an extreme amount
>of violence and sex in the last couple of episodes. Even japanese fans
>are complaining that this sort of thing is way beyond what should be
>on TV during the time slot the show has...

I heard about it. First, EVA will be released on video in the US,
not on TV. Second, if ADV is the one actually releasing it, from their
track record it seems more likely they would try to pump *up* the levels,
not tone them down. Third, I can't see Anno willing to compromise *his*
show. Not THIS time.

--
Enrique Conty | co...@cig.mot.com | http://www.mcs.net/~conty
NuVista+ Mac genlock/video capture board for sale. | Wargame stuff for sale.
Read AMPlus, the Anime and Manga webzine - http://www.jurai.net/amplus/

Anime Central, the first anime convention of the Midwest, coming in 1998!

Charles Ingalz [CONTRACTOR]

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In article t...@news.cis.nctu.edu.tw, ser...@voicenet.com (Eric
Lanier) writes:

> : >IF ADVision's translations were anywhere near accurate I would

> : >consider it. But I guess until the devil buys a snowplow,
> : >I'll go with the japanese LDs...
> :
> : Actually, it seems they're getting better than they used to be.

I am a bit miffed with their translations too. It seems they have a
habit of "spicing" everything up with the maximum expletives they
can find. Maybe they have the script writers for "Die Hard" give
it a once over after it's been translated.

-Charles

Charles Ingalz [CONTRACTOR]

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In article d...@uuneo.neosoft.com, d...@advfilms.com (David Williams) writes:

> This series will be released with two
> episodes per VHS tape in both subtitled and dubbed versions and as a
> bilingual/close captioned LASER DISC!

The Closed Craption plague moves from Southern Cal to the Midwest and
is now making headway in Texas. Symptoms include a tendency to write
in block letters and greatly obstructed lower peripheral vision.
But that's OK, because those who haven't been infected yet have a
complete inability to read or write at all.

-Charles

Kevin Lew -- 'The Lai-Lai Boy'

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
davi...@imap1.asu.edu wrote:
: Michael Studte (mst...@yarrow.wt.com.au) wrote:

(About 801 TTS "Airbats")
: : Except that Airbats is not the original title, neither is "End of

: Well, the original title was Aozora Shojotai (Which means Blue Sky Girl
: Squadron [roughly]) and the subtitle was 801st TTS Airbats. Now "Blue
: Sky Girl Squadron" sounds real awkward in English, so they just switched
: the main title for the subtitle. It isn't as if they made up something
: like "Flying Tigresses" from whole cloth.

I think that Michael was complaining of the use of "Airbats". There is
no "Airbats" at all anywhere in the Aozora Shoujotai title.

Personally, I find the term jarring myself, as I am partial to the
original title.

Aozora Shoujotai can approximately be translated as the All-Female Blue
Sky Squadron. There is NOTHING wrong with this, in my stupid opinion.
Blue Sky Squadron just SOUNDS like it has to be the Japanese counterpart
to the Blue Angels. And they are.

To live. To die. To be silly. That is the way of the Otaku.
kas...@eden.com (Ranma 1/2 Stupid Help Desk)
ra1...@email.sps.mot.com (Other Stupid E-Mail)

Michael Studte

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
davi...@imap1.asu.edu wrote:

>Michael Studte (mst...@yarrow.wt.com.au) wrote:
>: >ADV did a wonderful job with Nuku Nuku and 801 TTS Airbats, with subtitles

>: Except that Airbats is not the original title, neither is "End of
>Well, the original title was Aozora Shojotai (Which means Blue Sky Girl
>Squadron [roughly]) and the subtitle was 801st TTS Airbats. Now "Blue
>Sky Girl Squadron" sounds real awkward in English, so they just switched
>the main title for the subtitle. It isn't as if they made up something
>like "Flying Tigresses" from whole cloth.

Yes it is. The word "Airbats" is NOWHERE in the original. And you
haven't said a word about End of Summer, not to mention F^3... OH
there's plenty where that came from.

Scott Promish

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <4gc2aq$d...@engnews2.Eng.Sun.COM>, ing...@Eng.Sun.COM says...

>I am a bit miffed with their translations too. It seems they have a
>habit of "spicing" everything up with the maximum expletives they
>can find. Maybe they have the script writers for "Die Hard" give
>it a once over after it's been translated.

This was *real* noticeable in Sol Bianca, which I otherwise loved. I was
wondering if the original script ran like that, and suspecting that it didn't.

Biggles Dictates a Letter

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96

Tell me about it....@_@ My friends and I rented Sol Bianca the other day
(I had seen it before; they hadn't), and we couldn't *believe* how
blatant the use of profanity was. It was amusing comparing the subtitles
to what the characters actually said...

Too bad ADV took a "few" liberties with the sub. ;) It's a great anime
(IMHO).

Ja mata!
- Felix

--
Felix "Dare ka ga itta,'Koi wo sureba
fw...@students.uiuc.edu samishiku naru' to..."

davi...@imap1.asu.edu

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
: davi...@imap1.asu.edu wrote:

: >Michael Studte (mst...@yarrow.wt.com.au) wrote:
: >: >ADV did a wonderful job with Nuku Nuku and 801 TTS Airbats, with subtitles
: >: Except that Airbats is not the original title, neither is "End of
: >Well, the original title was Aozora Shojotai (Which means Blue Sky Girl
: >Squadron [roughly]) and the subtitle was 801st TTS Airbats. Now "Blue
: >Sky Girl Squadron" sounds real awkward in English, so they just switched
: >the main title for the subtitle. It isn't as if they made up something
: >like "Flying Tigresses" from whole cloth.

: Yes it is. The word "Airbats" is NOWHERE in the original. And you

Mea culpa. I was incorrect. Still, this was one they had to change, as
the original title is too awkward to work with.

: haven't said a word about End of Summer, not to mention F^3... OH

: there's plenty where that came from.

I don't follow their H stuff, so I can't comment on it.

Sexton Furnival

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
Re: [ANNOUNCMENT] A.D.Vision Presents!!!!

>ADV did a wonderful job with Nuku Nuku and 801 TTS Airbats, with subtitles
>that are free of gratuitous profanity. However, the same cannot be said
>for their earlier works, with Sol Bianca being the worst offender.

plastic little and dragon knight didn't seem bad to me... i recently saw
those... in fact, i'm shocked that i liked both of them.. after seeing other
hentai like la blue girl [stupid, boring, offensive and just ucky] and
urotsukidoji [boring, boring, boring, boring and boring.] i thought it was a
closed case with me... but plastic little wasn't even really hentai at all,
just a few more breast shots... and dk didn't have any actual sex either..
which is good, watching animated sex is so ucky and boring.
9-----
9s...@singe.com the depth of my vexation is beyond your comprehension!

Angst-sensei

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <4ge7if$o...@news.asu.edu>, <davi...@imap1.asu.edu> wrote:
>Michael Studte (mst...@yarrow.wt.com.au) wrote:
>
>: Yes it is. The word "Airbats" is NOWHERE in the original. And you
>
>Mea culpa. I was incorrect. Still, this was one they had to change, as
>the original title is too awkward to work with.

Heh. You think the original for *Airbats* was awkward? And yet, ADV
released "All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku"...a direct
translation, and about as awkward as you can get.

Still, none of these can compare with the Gaga Communications proposed
renamings of some of our favorites... (years back, be glad if you
missed it ^_^)

Supernova (Project A-Ko)
Futurescape (Bubblegum Crisis)
Star Odyssey (They Were Eleven)

Man, the announcer for those promos was worse than the Manga
Entertainment promo guy. Yecch.

--Angst-sensei
("They're known as the Knight Saviors..." "NO.")

--
/-\ ** Jeff Williamson *** Lightfall Integrated Media *** Chicago, IL ** /-\
|A| E-mail: doca...@mcs.com *@_@* Anime Central Recruitment Coordinator |9|
|C| *==> "In every revolution, there is one man with a vision." <==* |8|
\-/ * =If you're Friends with Key, well, then, you're friends with me= * \-/

C-ko Kotobuki

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <4gc6tu$d...@engnews2.Eng.Sun.COM>, ing...@Eng.Sun.COM writes...

Is there a cure?
C-ko

Ross TenEyck

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
so...@singe.com (Sexton Furnival) writes:

>closed case with me... but plastic little wasn't even really hentai at all,
>just a few more breast shots... and dk didn't have any actual sex either..

A "few"? Now, I happen to think Plastic Little was a fairly tolerable
piece of anime, and not particularly smutty (echi, hentai, whatever), but
it DID take the "gratuitous breast shot" to bold new levels... take out
the breasts, and you have a perfectly acceptable little action-comedy
anime at about half the length :)

--
============== http://weber.u.washington.edu/~teneyck/home.html ==============
Ross TenEyck ME Grad UW | A crow pecks at the wind-tossed scrap of paper,

davi...@imap1.asu.edu

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
Angst-sensei (doca...@MCS.COM) wrote:

: Heh. You think the original for *Airbats* was awkward? And yet, ADV

: released "All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku"...a direct
: translation, and about as awkward as you can get.

Hmmm, isn't an even more awkward translation of Nuku Nuku "Almighty
Culture Cat Daughter?" I think I saw that version on a fansub.

Mark Shetterly

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
SO|>Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCMENT] A.D.Vision Presents!!!!
SO|>From: so...@singe.com (Sexton Furnival)

SO|>plastic little and dragon knight didn't seem bad to me... i recently saw
SO|>those... in fact, i'm shocked that i liked both of them.. after seeing othe
SO|>hentai like la blue girl [stupid, boring, offensive and just ucky] and
SO|>urotsukidoji [boring, boring, boring, boring and boring.] i thought it was
SO|>closed case with me... but plastic little wasn't even really hentai at all,
SO|>just a few more breast shots... and dk didn't have any actual sex either..
SO|>which is good, watching animated sex is so ucky and boring.

You must not have seen Dragon Knight 2, which could concievably
qualify as kiddie porn. Our protagonist is seduced by a girl so
young as to be mistaken for a little boy up until disrobing.
YEAH! COOL!

Fat Bastard
fat.b...@813.sunshine.com

* OLX 2.1 TD * This space for Rent. Call 1-800-555-1212 for information
--
|Fidonet: Mark Shetterly 1:133/2611
|Internet: Mark.Sh...@anjhurin.atl.ga.us

Kentaro ONIZUKA

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96
In article <4gjcaq$r...@news.asu.edu> davi...@imap1.asu.edu writes:

>: Heh. You think the original for *Airbats* was awkward? And yet, ADV
>: released "All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku"...a direct
>: translation, and about as awkward as you can get.
>
>Hmmm, isn't an even more awkward translation of Nuku Nuku "Almighty
>Culture Cat Daughter?" I think I saw that version on a fansub.

Original Japanese "Bannou Bunka Neko Musume" means,

"All purpose Bunka Cat Girl"

Bunka (Culture) here is a suffix to something useful but cheap in
price. In early 70s, there were a lot of merchandise with "Bunka" and
"Bannou Bunka" such as,

Bannou BunkaBouchou All purpose culture kitchen knife
Bannou Bunka Nabe All purpose culture pan/pot
Bunka Juutaku Culture house

Japanese people over 30 years know what "BannouBunka" means.

I bought the series only because of the title.

The title "Bannou Bunka Neko Musume" reminds me of something cheap but
useful.

Kentaro ONIZUKA

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96
In article <ONIZUKA.96...@lachesis.nisiq.net>, oni...@nisiq.net (Kentaro ONIZUKA) writes...

So her name does not appear in the original Japanese title?

ndm

>Kentaro ONIZUKA

Ross TenEyck

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
oni...@nisiq.net (Kentaro ONIZUKA) writes:

>Original Japanese "Bannou Bunka Neko Musume" means,

> "All purpose Bunka Cat Girl"

>Bunka (Culture) here is a suffix to something useful but cheap in
>price. In early 70s, there were a lot of merchandise with "Bunka" and
>"Bannou Bunka" such as,

>Bannou BunkaBouchou All purpose culture kitchen knife
>Bannou Bunka Nabe All purpose culture pan/pot
>Bunka Juutaku Culture house

So does this mean that, in order to capture the subtle connotations of
the title, it should be translated like this?

The Amazing Ronco Cat Girl!

(But wait! There's more! Order now and you also receive...) :) :) :)

Mark Shetterly

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
TE|>Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCMENT] A.D.Vision Presents!!!!
TE|>From: ten...@u.washington.edu (Ross TenEyck)

TE|>A "few"? Now, I happen to think Plastic Little was a fairly tolerable
TE|>piece of anime, and not particularly smutty (echi, hentai, whatever), but
TE|>it DID take the "gratuitous breast shot" to bold new levels... take out
TE|>the breasts, and you have a perfectly acceptable little action-comedy
TE|>anime at about half the length :)

Take out the breasts?!?! Heck with that! MORE BREASTS! WE
NEED MORE BREASTS!

* OLX 2.1 TD * To live is always desirable.

Neil Morris

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
In article <8a2_960...@anjhurin.atl.ga.us>
Mark.Sh...@anjhurin.atl.ga.us "Mark Shetterly" writes:

> TE|>Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCMENT] A.D.Vision Presents!!!!
> TE|>From: ten...@u.washington.edu (Ross TenEyck)
>
> TE|>A "few"? Now, I happen to think Plastic Little was a fairly tolerable
> TE|>piece of anime, and not particularly smutty (echi, hentai, whatever), but
> TE|>it DID take the "gratuitous breast shot" to bold new levels... take out
> TE|>the breasts, and you have a perfectly acceptable little action-comedy
> TE|>anime at about half the length :)
>
> Take out the breasts?!?! Heck with that! MORE BREASTS! WE
> NEED MORE BREASTS!

Yeah... right...

Breasts are cool.

Heh, heh... heh, heh...

--
Neil Morris
ne...@linkmsd.com

Kentaro ONIZUKA

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96

>>The title "Bannou Bunka Neko Musume" reminds me of something cheap but
>>useful.
>
>So her name does not appear in the original Japanese title?

NO. "Bannou Bunka Neko Musume" shortened to "BanNeko."

NukuNuku is her nickname. The true name is "Atsuko"

"NukuNuku" is an onomatopoeia for "being warm by being covered by
something." Neko (cats) are considered to hate cold conditions.
They like Kotatsu, and hate snow, while dogs enjoy snow.

Kentaro ONIZUKA

John Chennavasin

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
In article <1f2_960...@ccai.com>,
David Pulver <David....@f127.n249.z1.fidonet.org> wrote:

> Several people have criticized AD Vision for excessive profanity in some
> of their older scripts, esp. Sol Bianca, compared to the original
> Japanese.

> It's worth pointing out that the liner notes of Sol Bianca actually
> discuss this question, and describe the AD Vision scripter's reasons for
> doing this. Specifically, that in Japanese the "politeness" level or tone
> is more important than in English, and that in a subtitled rather than
> dubbed edition saying something in a certain tone is equivelent to
> swearing. I'm sort of reminded of Toren Smith's comments on the title
> You're Under Arrest which he origianly wanted to change to You're Busted!
> because a straight translation didn't accurately express t he lack of
> politeness in the original.

Nani? Were the liner notes only included in the VHS version of Sol
Bianca? The Sol Bianca LD from ADV did not include them.
John Chennavasin
che...@haas.berkeley.edu
http://haas.berkeley.edu/~chennav/

poison_one

Mar 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/7/96
doca...@MCS.COM (Angst-sensei) wrote:

>In article <4ge7if$o...@news.asu.edu>, <davi...@imap1.asu.edu> wrote:
>>Michael Studte (mst...@yarrow.wt.com.au) wrote:
>>
>>: Yes it is. The word "Airbats" is NOWHERE in the original. And you
>>
>>Mea culpa. I was incorrect. Still, this was one they had to change, as
>>the original title is too awkward to work with.

>Heh. You think the original for *Airbats* was awkward? And yet, ADV

>released "All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku"...a direct
>translation, and about as awkward as you can get.

>Still, none of these can compare with the Gaga Communications proposed

>renamings of some of our favorites... (years back, be glad if you
>missed it ^_^)

>Supernova (Project A-Ko)
>Futurescape (Bubblegum Crisis)
>Star Odyssey (They Were Eleven)

>Man, the announcer for those promos was worse than the Manga
>Entertainment promo guy. Yecch.

>--Angst-sensei
>("They're known as the Knight Saviors..." "NO.")

>--
>/-\ ** Jeff Williamson *** Lightfall Integrated Media *** Chicago, IL ** /-\
>|A| E-mail: doca...@mcs.com *@_@* Anime Central Recruitment Coordinator |9|
>|C| *==> "In every revolution, there is one man with a vision." <==* |8|
>\-/ * =If you're Friends with Key, well, then, you're friends with me= * \-/

ALL PURPOSE CULTURAL CAT GIRL NUKU NUKU is an excellent title. I love
it when my friends (the Anime illiterate) say "WHAT?" when I tell them
what it is!

David Pulver

Mar 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/7/96
Re. my comment on liner notes in Sol Bianca....

Yes, as far as I know, Sol Bianca was the only AD Vision release to come with liner notes. A few have come with a questionaire. I wish more companies included liner notes.... I was disappointed when Animeigo didn't include them in AD Police, after all its earlier releases had them. The best VHS liner notes so far are the pioneer sub releases, with full color notes and jokes and photos translated from the original Japanese release.

I wonder how much liner notes actually cost to include? Is there any commercial reason not to include them -- there should always be SOMETHING you can tell about the making of the video, how you handled obscure translations, a complete cast list, future releases in the series, whatever. Good liner notes encourage people to buy the video instead of just renting it, especially if you can also come up with some little extras like the pioneer sub releases do.
--
|Internet: David....@f127.n249.z1.fidonet.org
|Fidonet: David Pulver 1:249/127

Ferdinand A. Pelayo

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
Forceria (N.G.H...@shef.ac.uk) wrote:
: In article <4hlfsp$k...@pubxfer3.news.psi.net>, PoisonOne says...
: >>Still, none of these can compare with the Gaga Communications proposed

: >>renamings of some of our favorites... (years back, be glad if you
: >>missed it ^_^)

: >>Supernova (Project A-Ko)
: >>Futurescape (Bubblegum Crisis)
: >>Star Odyssey (They Were Eleven)

Yeah, just when did they put these dubs out? Or do they only exist
in trailer form? (OK, I know Star Odyssey was a reality...)

: >>Man, the announcer for those promos was worse than the Manga
: >>Entertainment promo guy. Yecch.
: I know i saw the futurescape intro and i quote "A rock star and her 3
: Girlfriends......!!!!!!" NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
: >>("They're known as the Knight Saviors..." "NO.")

You can still find the trailer for this in Corn Pone's Bad American
Dubbing III. I'm still reeling at the thought of someone actually being
able to conjure up such a hack.

: Although i believe it was Chars counter attack wich was released overhere
: on a kids video years ago called Johnny Destiny Space Ninja. I`ll never
: see Char the same way again!!!!

Could this be that thing in B.A.D. III (which I just mentioned)
where "Char" takes off his mask, and all of a sudden becomes Amuro (or at
least the face)? And "Jane" was K... something?

Forceria

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
In article <4hlfsp$k...@pubxfer3.news.psi.net>, PoisonOne says...

>doca...@MCS.COM (Angst-sensei) wrote:
>

>>Still, none of these can compare with the Gaga Communications proposed
>>renamings of some of our favorites... (years back, be glad if you
>>missed it ^_^)

>>Supernova (Project A-Ko)
>>Futurescape (Bubblegum Crisis)
>>Star Odyssey (They Were Eleven)

>>Man, the announcer for those promos was worse than the Manga

>>Entertainment promo guy. Yecch.
I know i saw the futurescape intro and i quote "A rock star and her 3
Girlfriends......!!!!!!" NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

>>("They're known as the Knight Saviors..." "NO.")

Although i believe it was Chars counter attack wich was released overhere
on a kids video years ago called Johnny Destiny Space Ninja. I`ll never
see Char the same way again!!!!

Forceria

"It was like the sweet taste of | "F-for the conquest of Lodoss"
coconut-almond":- Kyouske, KOR | :- Pirotessa, Lodoss tou-senki
Neil Hughes Social sec Anime Anon(Sheffield)
Email N.G.H...@sheff.ac.uk out of term replies may be slow

Matt Francis

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
N.G.H...@shef.ac.uk (Forceria) wrote:

>In article <4hlfsp$k...@pubxfer3.news.psi.net>, PoisonOne says...
>>
>>doca...@MCS.COM (Angst-sensei) wrote:
>>

>>>Still, none of these can compare with the Gaga Communications proposed
>>>renamings of some of our favorites... (years back, be glad if you
>>>missed it ^_^)

>>>Supernova (Project A-Ko)
>>>Futurescape (Bubblegum Crisis)
>>>Star Odyssey (They Were Eleven)

>>>Man, the announcer for those promos was worse than the Manga
>>>Entertainment promo guy. Yecch.
>I know i saw the futurescape intro and i quote "A rock star and her 3
>Girlfriends......!!!!!!" NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

>>>("They're known as the Knight Saviors..." "NO.")
>Although i believe it was Chars counter attack wich was released overhere
>on a kids video years ago called Johnny Destiny Space Ninja. I`ll never
>see Char the same way again!!!!

Johnny Destiny? _*/Johhny Destiny/*_?????
<cringe>
I'd hoped never to hear /that/ again.

And don't forget "In the aftermath"/Angel's Egg. They...they...they
/buthchered/ it! Feh. And what about "Once upon a time"/Windaria??
There are more. Unfortunately many, more. It is very sad to see what
has been inflicted on innocent anime over the years. *snif*.
Oh! and "Wa..." "Warr..." No!! I'm not gonna say it. Else I really
will burst into tears... -:=(

Is there a list of 'em all somewhere?
Sort of a "complete guide to senseless butchery"?

-Arinan

_______ _______
/ \ +------------------------------------------------------+ / \
| # | | ** Nausicaa ** TenchiMuyo ** 3x3 Eyes ** Totoro ** | | # |
| ## | | My opinions are mine and nobody else's | | # # |
| # # | | Unless they want them to be. | | ## |
| ## | }------------------------------------------------------{ | # |
| # # | | #SAS# member and proud of it, dammit | | ## |
| # | | You think I'm mad? so do I! | | # # |
| # | | ** Dominion ** Ranma ** Appleseed ** Honneamise ** | | # |
\_______/ +------------------------------------------------------+ \_______/

Angst-sensei

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
In article <4i9crq$k...@bignews.shef.ac.uk>,
Forceria <n.g.h...@sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:

>Although i believe it was Chars counter attack wich was released overhere
>on a kids video years ago called Johnny Destiny Space Ninja. I`ll never
>see Char the same way again!!!!

Johnny. Destiny. Space. Ninja.

I feel soiled.

--Angst-sensei