ADVision's Announcement Re: Evangelion

Michael House

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
Newsgroups: rec.arts.anime
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCMENT] A.D.Vision Presents!!!!
Date: 13 Feb 1996 15:16:10 +0900

>David Williams (d...@advfilms.com) wrote:
>: Coming this summer from A.D.Vision!!!!!
>: Evangelion
>: The hot action-packed TV series currently taking anime by storm, comes t=
o the =

>: U.S. in a newly created OVA version. This is the SAME story, SAME actio=
n but =

>: with all NEW high quality animation!!!
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here is GAINAX's official response:

As the sole legitimate possessors of the rights to "Evangelion", we,
GAINAX Co., Ltd., have, as of this writing, received no notification
whatsoever about plans such as these, nor do we have any plans to
authorize such. We are prepared to take appropriate legal action in
response to activities such as these.

(What follows is the original Japanese text of Gainax's reply. If
you don't have a Japanese-capable newsreader, don't worry about it.)

 エヴァの正当にして唯一の権利を有するガイナックスとしては、現在、そ
のような話は一切聞いていないし、そのようなことを許諾する予定もない。
この様な行動に対して我々は、適切な法的対応をする用意がある。

Signed,
Takeda Yasuhiro,
General Manager,
GAINAX Co., Ltd.

David Williams

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
In article <312473...@gol.com>, mac...@gol.com wrote:
>As the sole legitimate possessors of the rights to "Evangelion", we,
>GAINAX Co., Ltd., have, as of this writing, received no notification
>whatsoever about plans such as these, nor do we have any plans to
>authorize such. We are prepared to take appropriate legal action in
>response to activities such as these.

I apologize if there has been any misunderstanding or confusion. We here at
A.D.Vision had been informed by the licensor for "Evangelion", MOVIC CO LTD,
that the film was being redone with OVA quality enhancements for the
international market. This is information that we are currently working to
clarify. As we hold the "Evangelion" series with great respect, we would like
to clear up this question of the reworking of the already wonderful animation.
We wish to present "Evagelion" to the english speaking world with the most
faithful representation possible.

-----
David Williams
A.D.Vision Internet Liaison
d...@advfilms.com
http://www.advfilms.com

Matthew Alt

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In <4g31ee$e...@uuneo.neosoft.com> d...@advfilms.com (David Williams)
writes:

>We wish to present "Evagelion" to the english speaking world with the
most
>faithful representation possible.

I think the point was that you're NOT the ones distributing it. At
least, not according to Gainax. Are you trying to dig yourself a deeper
hole here?

-Matt

Antaeus Feldspar

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
In article <4g3gnh$2...@cloner2.ix.netcom.com>,

I think that you'd be better off just to stop butting in and let
*them* figure out what they each mean. Or are you trying to dig someone
a hole?

-jc

Albert Wong

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In article <4g3gnh$2...@cloner2.ix.netcom.com>, goj...@ix.netcom.com (Matthew Alt ) wrote:
>In <4g31ee$e...@uuneo.neosoft.com> d...@advfilms.com (David Williams)
>writes:
>
>>We wish to present "Evagelion" to the english speaking world with the
>most
>>faithful representation possible.
>
>I think the point was that you're NOT the ones distributing it. At
>least, not according to Gainax. Are you trying to dig yourself a deeper
>hole here?

Well, that reply from Gainax was a tad vague... you can take it as

1) "We, of Gainax, don't know anything about ADV getting rights to EVA, call
in the laywers"

or

2) "We, of Gainax, know nothing about this new animation junk ADV has been
spouting"

So, perhaps ADV does have the rights but there in an misunderstanding about
some touch-ups. Or, ADV doesn't have the rights to EVA... Thank Gainax for
adding more questions for their vague post. Perhaps, this is a giant
publicity scheme between ADV and Gainax ;)

-----
Albert Wong
alb...@best.com
http://www.best.com/~albertw